Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you actually prefer if the Irish language didnt exist?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Bunch of culture traitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't speak it or have any interest in learning it, but I don't see why anyone would prefer that it didn't exist.

It seems a bit childish tbh.. there's lots of stuff which I'd prefer didn't exist.. stuff that actually effects how I live my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Irishk9

Id be happy if schools just recognised the students that saw no need for it early enough and allowed them to spend the time learning something else instead. I saw no need for it and daydreamed during the class, the method of teaching didnt help though in my decision- writing it down was no way to learn it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I don't speak it or have any interest in learning it, but I don't see why anyone would prefer that it didn't exist.

Im in the same boat. Im not interested in learning Irish but can't really see any reason in wanting rid of it. I study french at night in my never ending aim to speak it fluently. Everyone should have a 2nd language whether its irish or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

realies wrote: »
    I am happy it exists, All my children went to gaelscoil & its a plesure hearing them talk it.
    I think gaelscoils are the way to go as far as preserving the language. Kids pick it up easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

twinQuins wrote: »
    I wouldn't care, either way.

And another sizable group who make idiotic generalisations that suit their agendas.

what i said wasn't a generalisation, it would have been a generalisation had i said all boards members are against all things irish. christ :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Evidently you read my post incorrectly. The generalisation is in assuming that everyone that doesn't actively support the langauge "detest everything and anything irish".

In essence it's the fallacy of the hasty generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Got my toddler the Irish talking teddy bear for xmas, he adores it! I also have his name down for only gaelscoils! I cannot speak my native tongue fluently, but my son will if I have anything to do with it!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    No I wouldnt. I'm glad I have it and I'll pass it on to my kids.

What if they don't want to learn it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pauleta wrote: »
    Would of rathered they thought me German or French in Primary school. Irish aint gonna get me paid.
    Or English? :pac:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Got my toddler the Irish talking teddy bear for xmas, he adores it! I also have his name down for only gaelscoils! I cannot speak my native tongue fluently, but my son will if I have anything to do with it!!!!
    You not going to let him make up his own mind if he wants to learn it?

I'd be more interested in learning about English, Maths and science to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

KeithAFC wrote: »

I'd be more interested in learning about English, Maths and science to be honest.

What a surprise...

What a surprise...
    More relevant.

More relevant.

As relevant on a boards.IE forum as an ulster scot?:p

As relevant on a boards.IE forum as an ulster scot?:p
    Didn't think Ulster Scots were banned from the forum? :o

Seems there is the opinion from many on here they don't like the language. I wonder why that is. Could be the way nationalists try to force it upon people and don't like if people question why you have to learn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Would you prefer if the Irish language didn't exist?

No, why would you 'prefer' that? Loike....:D

Seems there is the opinion from many on here they don't like the language. I wonder why that is. Could be the way nationalists try to force it upon people and don't like if people question why you have to learn it.

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

We like what we are given an interest in, boys like soccer because they see their dads liking soccer.

You believe what you believe because you were brought up to believe it.

And in Gaelscoils you learn all those subjects too. They have smaller class sizes and usually have more of a grá for our native tongue! I was forced to an Irish school at 17 and had to go back a year in school because of my lack of Irish. I loved it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I love the Irish language, culture and past times. I am fluent in Irish, teach it and my kids go to a Gaelscoil. There is no better feeling than listening to your young kids speaking Irish happily and with ease, and having no hangups about it, afterall why would they!

We like what we are given an interest in, boys like soccer because they see their dads liking soccer.

You believe what you believe because you were brought up to believe it.

And in Gaelscoils you learn all those subjects too. They have smaller class sizes and usually have more of a grá for our native tongue! I was forced to an Irish school at 17 and had to go back a year in school because of my lack of Irish. I loved it!
    Fair enough. I hope i ain't reading it wrong that people are being forced to learn it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Havent spoke Irish since leaving the gaeilscoil bout 6 years ago and really miss not speaking it - so no, Irish should exist and Is maith liom cáis!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I just started one of these courses a couple of weeks ago. You can do them online and have your queries answered very quickly or in classes, or both. It's definitely one of the best investments I've made as the grammar guides and teaching techniques are superb. Doing one of these should help you in the impending gaelscoileanna interviews. I intend on starting a Conradh na Gaeilge branch in my area as soon as I feel more confident as there's no conversation group here yet and I know there are plenty of parents in your situation here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No harm having Irish exist, its what makes us Irish! Its nice to speak it for fun like when out at traditional pub. Studying it is where I draw the line though depending on career. Proud to have some bit of Irish and proclaim it on St Patricks Day! Even though I'm not a fluent Irish speaker, I like the language and I think Ireland would be lost without it if not part of our hertiage and not kept alive outside of school. If forced in schools and compulsory for LC exams then changes need to be made to make learning the language more fun to learn! Irish is part of our history can't do nothing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Keith, what kind of parent would they be if they let their toddler decide their life priorities? A fairly dam bad one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I love the Irish language :D I'm not fluent but I can have a decent conversation. It would be great if they would still teach it but I think it shouldn't be compulsory.

Keith, what kind of parent would they be if they let their toddler decide their life priorities? A fairly dam bad one.
    Whos life priorities is it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Stay off the drugs boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

No harm having Irish exist, its what makes us Irish! Its nice to speak it for fun like when out at traditional pub. Studying it is where I draw the line though depending on career. Proud to have some bit of Irish and proclaim it on St Patricks Day! Even though I'm not a fluent Irish speaker, I like the language and I think Ireland would be lost without it if not part of our hertiage and not kept alive outside of school. If forced in schools and compulsory for LC exams then changes need to be made to make learning the language more fun to learn! Irish is part of our history can't do nothing about it.

Yes we can do something 'about' it! We can get better at teaching languages in general...starting with 'English', and move on from there obviously..

..just because a student doesn't have a particular forte in languages doesn't negate that another won't! Same with 'Mathematics' and 'English' and any science subject...every student is different - we dumb down the system to suit, and we dumb down our students..

It's not the 'core' subjects that need review it's recognising and encouraging a strenght in a particular student for learning ability in any one..

A student can sit their LC these days with 'just' English/Irish and no other language - although it's not what most recommend..

The LC, these days is just the starting point...whereas the intermediate/junior cert was a generation ago - no point in going backwards...the 'bar' should not be lowered.

The 'value' of language is at the core; so too is the ability of a student to persevere and conquer a subject! It's worth it's weight..and time...honestly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Is this thread about the Irish language, Travellers, the Commonwealth or the British Isles? Is there a poll? What? Deja vu? Jedward what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

The 4 year old who you seam to expect to choose what school to go to and subjects to learn:confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

Advertisement