Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donadea 50km

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RunGer

ultraman1 wrote: »
    yes there is age categories for this race,ms,m35,m40,m45,m50 and even have an m60.aswell the f categories..

Thanks Ultraman,
    one more questions, seeing as you reply so quickly.:)
    In regards to feed stations..
    1.How many feed stations ?
    2. will thier be any drinks/food supplied by organisers?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Good
    RunGer wrote: »
    Is there age categories for this race?

yes there is age categories for this race,ms,m35,m40,m45,m50 and even have an m60.aswell the f categories..
    Any chance of 'm33 from Mayo' category??

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Good
    Thanks Ultraman,

Thanks in advance

RunGer, are you doing this race?

It's a 5k loop, so you can access your own food/drinks every 20 min or so.

There will be water & energy drink available in cups AFAIK.

Hi Jb-Ski,

yes, am entered and hopefully will make the start line.looking forward to it.will be my first "Ultra"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Thanks Ultraman,

Thanks in advance

hi runger,there will be two stations,one at the start/finish area and one halfway around that you can put any drinks you want on,the one at the strart will have water in bottles and water in cups(for the more refined) and and nrg drinks kindly supplied by SIS will be in cups.There will also be tables at the start/finish that you can put any drinks/food/nutrition on.ill be sending out final list the week before the race,if u need any specifics you can email if dats suits.
    anto

• Advertisement

Hi Jb-Ski,

hopefully will make the start line.
    if anyone is not gonna make the start line can you email me as there is a long reserve list
    anto

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

jb-ski wrote: »
    It's a 5k loop, so you can access your own food/drinks every 20 min or so.

So you're targetting 3:20 jb-ski? Nice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

belcarra wrote: »
    Any chance of 'm33 from Mayo' category??
    That category might be competitive enough !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Good
    ultrapercy wrote: »
    That category might be competitive enough !

Ahh, crud!

Good
    jeffontour wrote: »
    So you're targetting 3:20 jb-ski? Nice. :)

Yep, I'm planning to take it easy.;)

• Advertisement

theres a couple or 3 females planning on sub 3:50,so am dropping the 4:00hr pacer.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Good
    theres a couple or 3 females planning on sub 3:50,so am dropping the 4:00hr pacer.............

This reads as; you will drop the 4 hour pacer you had intended following, instead chase three females at a faster pace. A cunning plan of merit.

also got selected as a selection race for the world 50km trophy in italy in october..

Good
    also got selected as a selection race for the world 50km trophy in italy in october..

Top 20 finishers go to Italy? (all expenses paid)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Good

What's the criteria? 3:20? Or a certain placing?

Note: I'm merely curious. I know I won't qualify.

What's the criteria? 3:20? Or a certain placing?

Note: I'm merely curious. I know I won't qualify.
    according to the regulations,the winnerr of each selection race(20 i think) under 3:20(male),3:50 (female) gets invited to the trophy final and other best times make up the numbers.

I am planning on doing Donadea and Connemarathon Ultra 2012
    I was wondering what the general advice would be regarding tapering for Donadea and then starting again for Ultra and then tapering again?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

TFBubendorfer, ultraman, or mick rice would be far better in terms of replies and experience - as they will have done this before.. but I have followed something along the lines of below.

You have 5 weeks roughly between races.

W1 - after Donadea - very easy recovery week - just to get the legs and body fully on the road to recovery. Maybe some swimming or cycling as cross training.
    W2 - still recovery - but maybe work towards normal training towards the end of the week.
    W3 - Much the same training as you would have done 3 weeks out from Donadea - obviously taking care to ensure that you dont have any niggles/lingering tiredness - in which case you could scale this back . .
    W4, Race week - window, recovery runs, plenty of rest.

This is roughly what I have done between back to back marathons - and performance in the second marathon was usually better :-)

Good
    I'm doing both as well. First, Donadea is a training run rather than a race, assuming I can keep myself in check this time. :rolleyes:

There are 6 weeks between the two. I'll take it easy for 2 weeks after Donadea, very much depending on how the legs feel.

That leaves 1, maybe 2 weeks of "proper" training for Connemara before the taper begins. It's better to be undertrained than not recovered, so err on the easy side.

Donadea is a training run rather than a race,.
    thanks;)

• Advertisement

I'm doing both as well. First, Donadea is a training run rather than a race, assuming I can keep myself in check this time. :rolleyes:

There are 6 weeks between the two. I'll take it easy for 2 weeks after Donadea, very much depending on how the legs feel.

That leaves 1, maybe 2 weeks of "proper" training for Connemara before the taper begins. It's better to be undertrained than not recovered, so err on the easy side.

Thanks Thomas and The Hammer for your responses. I will take on board what you have posted.
    One more thing ....
    Should I tpaer for donadea and if so what is the recommendation considering i still want to train for the Ultra?
    I intend to run both as races..
    Thanks
    Ger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good
    Thanks Thomas and The Hammer for your responses. I will take on board what you have posted.
    One more thing ....
    Should I tpaer for donadea and if so what is the recommendation considering i still want to train for the Ultra?
    I intend to run both as races..
    Thanks
    Ger

What do you want to get out of Donadea? Is it a goal to get your best 50k time or do you see it as a training run for Conn Ultra? I see it more as the latter (sorry Ultraman :pac:) so I will have a full weeks training the week before and just take it easy for the 5 days before the race, then go out and try to run as bes I can.

If Donadea is your ultimate goal then yeah a few weeks taper beforehand would be optimal.

if your racing both id go for a smaller taper for donadea(1 week or less) and a drop back week followin the race with a few quality sessions rather than longer runs and den normal training up to your proposed taper for conn...

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

menoscemo wrote: »

If Donadea is your ultimate goal then yeah a few weeks taper beforehand would be optimal.

Agree with all of that menoscemo - spot on...

Suppose all of these sometimes boil down to personal preference and experience...

I worry a bit about the taper - I think you can taper too long . . don't really have the scientific terms but if you taper for too long - the muscles remember this and cannot respond on the day of the big race - regardless of if Donadea is training run or serious goal time race.

Some coaches seem to advocate (and I normally do this) is run 10 or 13 miles 7 to 10 days before hand at goal race pace. I feel that then my body "remembers" this - and I can go through 10 taper days to the race without having lost intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good
    Anbody else planning to target sub 4.30 for this?

Anyone volunteering to pace that group?:)

Good
    thanks;)

Oops. Sorry. :o
    I think I won't be the only one, though. ;)

If it's any consolation, I said the same before Sixmilebridge and then changed my mind about 10 seconds into that race.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

Good
    Izoard wrote: »

Hey Izoard, Im planning on running in and around that pace. Im sure there will be others too. Id be happy to run with a group.

Oops. Sorry. :o
    I think I won't be the only one, though. ;)

If it's any consolation, I said the same before Sixmilebridge and then changed my mind about 10 seconds into that race.
    otherwise known as gettin yir excuses in early:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Good
    Izoard wrote: »

I'm also aiming for that time but I wouldn't be pacer material:)
    I'm sure there'll be a good few of us at that pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

Dont know if i've missed this mentioned already, but what time is the race starting?

Advertisement