Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donadea 50km

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Good
    ultraman1 wrote: »

Ah, show off!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Your a dab hand at photoshop :-)

The 4hr pacer shouldn't affect the race outcome for the winners depending on the speed of the top end males and females. Personally I am still undecided on the pacer issue (in a broad sense and this mainly affects marathons). I like the idea of making the endurance challenge accessible to all but at some point I believe you have to do the work yourself.

Oh and to add to that. The one time I had a pacer, he rocked. :-) He understood when I got illogical that it was better just to roll with it. He ran behind me and didn't complain one bit.

Good
    Zuppy wrote: »
    I like the idea of making the endurance challenge accessible to all but at some point I believe you have to do the work yourself.

You still have to do the work yourself, even with a pacer :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

But a pacer takes a lot of the pressure off. Helps you when feeling low. Does the mental arithmetic when the brain fails, watches your hydration and nutrition etc. Helping you maintain your pace is only where the pacer starts. Entertains you as well as provides your safety net. In night races helps with navigation and lighting.

Pacers are wonderful but they sure as hell take some of the load off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 thehack

But a pacer takes a lot of the pressure off. Helps you when feeling low. Does the mental arithmetic when the brain fails, watches your hydration and nutrition etc. Helping you maintain your pace is only where the pacer starts. Entertains you as well as provides your safety net. In night races helps with navigation and lighting.

Hi Zuppy, think you are confusing this with the Art O'Neill challenge. there's no night navigation on this race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good

Krusty, I hope you're reading this :pac:

thehack wrote: »
    Hi Zuppy, think you are confusing this with the Art O'Neill challenge. there's no night navigation on this race.

It was more just a comment on pacers in general and why the pirates always called supporters/ crew and pacers the 'Sherpa' (coz they carried you on their back to the finish line). :)
    Also with my lack of training I am sure I could string a 50k into the darkness.....
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Krusty, I hope you're reading this :pac:

You have to praise your crew, otherwise you have no lift home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good
    thehack wrote: »

Think he's talking about pacers in ultras in general. 100 mile races and a lot of US ultras would run through the night, up mountains and through forests and such like.

Irish ultras have nothing on the real hard nut ones they have in the states. Wussy ultras compared to what they have over there. :)

Zuppy did you have any pacer in the western states?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Good

Irish ultras have nothing on the real hard nut ones they have in the states,YET!

Hopefully:).

Irish ultras have nothing on the real hard nut ones they have in the states. Wussy ultras compared to what they have over there. :)

Zuppy did you have any pacer in the western states?

I think the Conn 100 miler is a non wussy event. Not the easiest course in the world and the roundstone festival always makes runners want to stop and party :)

My pacer for the western states was Dan and a local and worth every penny of his non existant fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good
    My pacer for the western states was Dan and a local and worth every penny of his non existant fee.
    Hey, if Dan is getting a non-existent fee, I want to get a non-existent fee too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Good
    Ive heard some serious fast guys are running this anto. Exactly who are the top end guys and what sorta times arethey looking at?

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Ive heard some serious fast guys are running this anto. Exactly who are the top end guys and what sorta times arethey looking at?
    i wont put the names up, there is 1 who has done and few who are capable of 3:10,and then at least 4/5 who will be sub 3:30,....

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

i wont put the names up, there is 1 who has done and few who are capable of 3:10,and then at least 4/5 who will be sub 3:30,....

Maybe the entrant list could be posted a couple of days before the race? Be nice to have a bit of discussion about the likely winners :)

Good

I feel so in the know now. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Good
    I feel so in the know now. :cool:

I presume you're open to bribes?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Good
    Jesus thats some serious running. I look forward to being lapped many times so:D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

What about this one? Trail World Championships, Connemara 2011. Team USA found it very tough going as did most of the other Teams

• Advertisement

Good
    What about this one? Trail World Championships, Connemara 2011. Team USA found it very tough going as did most of the other Teams

I was thinking of that one as well. Thats not going to be a regular on the calandar though is it?

WW isn't a walk in the park either.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

I was thinking of that one as well. Thats not going to be a regular on the calandar though is it?

I don't know but would like to have another shot at it sometime. Hopefully Donadea 50K will become a regular fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Any race can be hard once you push yourself, yadayada. :D

Seriously though, Connemara was an absolutely brilliant course. Fair play to those who traveled expecting trail, and got large sections of bog. I'm sure a lot of them were expecting something more akin to Donadea.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Good
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    I look forward to being lapped many times so:D

Me too ! Didnt realize this was the 50k championship when i signed up :D

Looking forward to meeting some of the top Irish runners in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Good
    Anyone know the lapping protocol?

As the lappee, do I jump into the overgrowth as the main bunch steams past (again) or stick my elbows into their skinny rib cages?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Good
    'Might is right'...make 'em go round!!:D

Good
    Izoard wrote: »

As the lappee, do I jump into the overgrowth as the main bunch steams past (again) or stick my elbows into their skinny rib cages?

I'm sure the road isn't THAT narrow!

At Sixmilebridge I had to run around everyone when I lapped them. I expect the same from the real fast folks when I'm at the receiving end of being lapped.

Izoard wrote: »

maybe just keep to the right;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RunGer

Is there age categories for this race?

• Advertisement

RunGer wrote: »
    Is there age categories for this race?

yes there is age categories for this race,ms,m35,m40,m45,m50 and even have an m60.aswell the f categories..

Advertisement