Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

O.A.P wrote: »
    Its been a good weekend for us, Sligo was a potential banana skin and Wexford fancied their chances of beating the champs on their own ground.

Both teams are getting stronger as they progress it seems (hopefully any injuries are minor ones)
    Roscommon will be looking forward to teaching us how football is played but I think (hope) its going to be them that get the lesson
    The hurlers are going to meet an awful stubborn team along the line this year at some stage but who? and are Galway good enough to keep the momentum up and get to another final.
    I hope so.

I think the Hurlers are well capable of going the distance. The irony of a Galway ref and umpires keeping the only team, with the real potential to go toe to toe with us, in the championship today with shocking decisions might come back to haunt us yet.

The footballers put up an impressive tally regardless of the opposition. Hard to ask for much more

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

It was a strange sort of game today. It was as good as over as a contest after fifteen minutes but it was good to see Galway deliver such a high scoring performance. Colm O Rourkes article in today's paper was about how Kerry, Galway and Monaghan needed to deliver statement performances and Galway did just that.

It'll get glossed over in the analysis but today was another sign that the squad is developing a bit of depth. That's something that'll get put to a proper test later on.

Hyde Park up next anyway so I think a trip to Safety Direct might be in order. I hear the place is pure lethal altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Great to put a score on the board that a Kerry or Dublin would put on a team like Sligo. I felt sorry for the Sligo supporters, everyone expected a bit more from Sligo. It was a long round trip and they were sound to meet.

I can't see Galway being complacent this time round against Roscommon after what happened last year. Would be great to sock it to Roscommon down in Hyde park. Galway lads will be well up for this one. Going man to man with Roscommon I think we'd blow them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Going man to man with Roscommon I think we'd blow them away.

Yeah because Kyne, Sweeney, Bradshaw, O'Donnell and Flynn are really top notch players 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Yeah because Kyne, Sweeney, Bradshaw, O'Donnell and Flynn are really top notch players 😂😂😂

I never said Galway have the complete team!
    Firepower in the galway team is better than Roscommon though

• Advertisement

Great to put a score on the board that a Kerry or Dublin would put on a team like Sligo. I felt sorry for the Sligo supporters, everyone expected a bit more from Sligo. It was a long round trip and they were sound to meet.

I can't see Galway being complacent this time round against Roscommon after what happened last year. Would be great to sock it to Roscommon down in Hyde park. Galway lads will be well up for this one. Going man to man with Roscommon I think we'd blow them away.

We should go toe to toe with them. Two games like that would be great prep heading into the super 8s. We need to be able to play it both ways depending on teams and game position (few points down or up, struggling or just not having enough scoring threats).
    Roscommon is the perfect game to try it out. We might have to use both styles in one game due to them being a fairly decent team.

Kyne has been excellent and Bradshaw has been very solid. The others I'll give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

threeball wrote: »
    Kyne has been excellent and Bradshaw has been very solid. The others I'll give you.

Kyne not great today, though it was an exception rather than the rule for his year to date. Will have to judge them really against the very top opposition. Still think Galway have a hard day at the office coming sometime this year if KW continues to pick bad players in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tellyium

We should go toe to toe with them. Two games like that would be great prep heading into the super 8s. We need to be able to play it both ways depending on teams and game position (few points down or up, struggling or just not having enough scoring threats).
    Roscommon is the perfect game to try it out. We might have to use both styles in one game due to them being a fairly decent team.
    We should be try a hybrid of approaches against Roscommon, leave Comer, Walsh and Burke up front and let them run wild given the right ball. Give them some respect but I think they’re closer to the second day v Mayo last year than the first, We need to show that we’ve progressed markedly since last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Yeah because Kyne, Sweeney, Bradshaw, O'Donnell and Flynn are really top notch players ������

Think I saw this exact post on Stolen Sheep.

Not every team is full of super stars. Not even Roscommon incredibly. Galway won All-Ireland's with a few fairly average players on the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The ironic thing is all 5 of those would walk onto the Roscommon team. Very good forwards but I'd comfortably take our defense over theirs on current form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Flynn had a much improved game yesterday tbf. Not saying he's going to put two back to back but he's a player that struggles with confidence until he fields a ball or beats a man. Then we get moments like the Mayo or Kerry goals.

Kelly was very impressive. Not the biggest but he won one ball out by the terrace where he didn't compete in the air but robbed it off the Sligo lad.

Comer and Burke up top were unmarkable. Burke is an absolute joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Flynn had a much improved game yesterday tbf. Not saying he's going to put two back to back but he's a player that struggles with confidence until he fields a ball or beats a man. Then we get moments like the Mayo or Kerry goals.

Kelly was very impressive. Not the biggest but he won one ball out by the terrace where he didn't compete in the air but robbed it off the Sligo lad.

Comer and Burke up top were unmarkable. Burke is an absolute joy to watch.

Kelly has had a terrific year. Was dreadfully unlucky not to start against Mayo.

Flynn was very good alright yesterday. Looked like he was feeling his hamstring or something and went off as a precaution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Looked like he was feeling his hamstring or something and went off as a precaution.

Comer was nursing his ankle towards the end too. Think he scored a goal not too long after it though so hopefully he's OK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Am a Leitrim man so used to watching poor quality football:).....go to an odd Sligo League game when they are at home.That current Sligo team are very light physically and have no real leaders on the field with the exception maybe of Ross Donovan and Pat Hughes when fit.

I hope Galway don’t read much into the scoreline yday.....the likes of Corofin would beat that Sligo team comfortably.Tbf I think most astute Galway fans realize this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The ironic thing is all 5 of those would walk onto the Roscommon team. Very good forwards but I'd comfortably take our defense over theirs on current form
    Galways individual defenders i feel looks better because they are collectively playing to a set system with midfielders and half forwards giving extra protection when required. Yesterday they broke out of that system and went with an old fashion one on one defending the result was to concede 1-12 to div 3 team who kicked 13 wides and missed 3 other good goal chances so i think from that game yesterday they will be going back to their set system for the rest of the championship.

Roscommon in comparison rarely ever play to system and they leave decent defenders in Niall McInerney,Peter Domican,John McManus etc exposed to McStays preferred all out attacking style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Galways individual defenders i feel looks better because they are collectively playing to a set system with midfielders and half forwards giving extra protection when required. Yesterday they broke out of that system and went with an old fashion one on one defending the result was to concede 1-12 to div 3 team who kicked 13 wides and missed 3 other good goal chances so i think from that game yesterday they will be going back to their set system for the rest of the championship.

Roscommon in comparison rarely ever play to system and they leave decent defenders in Niall McInerney,Peter Domican,John McManus etc exposed to McStays preferred all out attacking style of play.

Did you see yesterday's game?

Dublin conceded 1-11 to possibly the worst team in the country but shur the Dublin defence are muck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Dublin conceded 1-11 to possibly the worst team in the country but shur the Dublin defence are muck too.
    Auto pilot Dublin are in during Leinster championship games nowadays and they only focus on the defensive side of things of their team until the business end of the championship. Galway probably gave away more goal scoring opportunities against Sligo yesterday than in all of their 9 previous games combined.

Auto pilot Dublin are in during Leinster championship games nowadays and they only focus on the defensive side of things of their team until the business end of the championship. Galway probably gave away more goal scoring opportunities against Sligo yesterday than in all of their 9 previous games combined.

And Galway focused 100% on attack yesterday probably getting a little loose at the back. You can't apply one standard to Dublin and another to Galway in games they approached with a similar mindset.
    We go defensive we're criticised. We go ultra offensive we're criticised. It's a learning curve. Find the middle ground and we'll give any team a good run.
    They win the game by 21 points. I think any defender is not going to be 100% switched on in a game like that. Kerry conceded 10 points against Clare. Was that a defensive disaster too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Things like that tend to happen when games are practically over after 15 minutes and one side is 10+ points up. The concentration levels drop as players from both sides realise the match is already over.

And Galway focused 100% on attack yesterday probably getting a little loose at the back. You can't apply one standard to Dublin and another to Galway in games they approached with a similar mindset.
    We go defensive we're criticised. We go ultra offensive we're criticised. It's a learning curve. Find the middle ground and we'll give any team a good run.
    They win the game by 21 points. I think any defender is not going to be 100% switched on in a game like that. Kerry conceded 10 points against Clare. Was that a defensive disaster too?
    Not disagreeing with you just pointing out how Dublin treat Leinster championship games while come the more important games they can play the blanket defence as good as any team even tough the narrative is they are all out attacking team that doesn't have to focus on defence to win those games..

Kerrys win with plenty of debut lads had a more impressive win than Galway yesterday as they were playing a side that finished 3rd in div 2 and who were tipped by a few on this forum to reach the super 8s this summer.

Not disagreeing with you just pointing out how Dublin treat Leinster championship games while come the more important games they can play the blanket defence as good as any team even tough the narrative is they are all out attacking team that doesn't have to focus on defence to win those games..

Kerrys win with plenty of debut lads had a more impressive win than Galway yesterday as they were playing a side that finished 3rd in div 2 and who were tipped by a few on this forum to reach the super 8s this summer.

I don't think anyone is doubting Kerry going forward. It's going backwards that there's plenty of questions to answer and that may not get truly tested til the super 8s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Not sure where you're hearing that narrative. Dublin certainly place emphasis on defence but they just don't get men behind the ball for the sake of clogging space. They transition into attack incredibly well which is maybe why their defence is not analysed hugely as they have far more going on. For example, has any defender scored as often as Philly McMahon in recent years? Never saw Neil Magee or Justin McMahon doing it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

ok we get it ya dont rate galway . why some posters have to be so negative is beyond me

spurshero wrote: »
    ok we get it ya dont rate galway . why some posters have to be so negative is beyond me

Its beyond me how you have drawn to that conclusion from what i wrote.

Powerhouse wrote: »
    Not sure where you're hearing that narrative. Dublin certainly place emphasis on defence but they just don't get men behind the ball for the sake of clogging space. They transition into attack incredibly well which is maybe why their defence is not analysed hugely as they have far more going on. For example, has any defender scored as often as Philly McMahon in recent years? Never saw Neil Magee or Justin McMahon doing it to be honest.
    Poor pundits on RTE and old school journalists on the indo and examiner is where i read and heard it. Lee Keegan to answer your question? and all the top teams have a good spread of scorers in their teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Something else by the hurlers again on Saturday and then seeing how loose both Munster games were at times, it's hard not to be extremely confident this team could do 2 in a row

I really thought this could be a write off year of sorts given the mental fatigue winning an All Ireland could bring but if anything Galway look even better this year.

Still a long way to go and all that - but clear favourites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

When are Connacht final tickets on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SarahOH

What kind of team do you think will line out on Sat? Dublin have been seriously competitive so far but seeing as we’re safe for a place in the final, surely they’ll want to rest some bodies?

• Advertisement

SarahOH wrote: »
    What kind of team do you think will line out on Sat? Dublin have been seriously competitive so far but seeing as we’re safe for a place in the final, surely they’ll want to rest some bodies?

It should be second 15.

There's nothing to play for and we have a settled back 9 with only a few pushing in the forwards.

So Killeen, N.Burke, Flynn, Concannon, Glynn(if fit) and then the rest of the panel.

Would be suicide to risk any of the 13/14 regulars with the bigger days to come.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement