Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

jr86 wrote:
    Win a game in Croke Park first and then we can start talking potential All Irelands in the next few years, until then I'll go with Dublin as pretty much nailed on as you can get, with Kerry, mayo and Tyrone the teams with the outside chances and I'll begrudge the rest of Ireland so

Did Galway not win a game in Croke Park last year? I'm confused. Oh and there was a cup at the end of it too. When was the last time Mayo won a cup? FBD? League? Connacht? All Ireland? Seems like a while ago now. Trophy cabinet full of moral victories is all that is left.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

danganabu wrote: »
    I simply answered a question that was asked on the probability of Galway winning the double, not sure what your problem is or why you are getting so defensive, its an opinion take it or leave it simples!

And plenty of posters from Galway ( simpletons as you referred to them, and yourself, as rather eloquently) have agreed with the view that the chances of Galways footballers winning Sam are minimal at best.

How I see it is that a couple of sore Mayo fans flooded the thread talking themselves up and taking sly digs at Galway croker record.

You might be taken serious if you had a few all Ireland’s rather than runner up medals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

How I see it is that a couple of sore Mayo fans flooded the thread talking themselves up and taking sly digs at Galway croker record.

You might be taken serious if you had a few all Ireland’s rather than runner up medals.

If I was from Mayo I might be some way offended :D

Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,045 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    An average Mayo team went very close to beating Dublin the last two yrs.
    To suggest Galway have no chance is illogical at the very least.
    This is something that comes up the odd time that I have to address.

Dublin are recognised as the team of this decade, hands down a great team, some are calling them a team of a generation and others the best of all time.

The latter two are debatable but it's pretty clear they are a great team and have been for most of this decade.

Now in that period the team that have run them the closest has been Mayo, beat them in a SF, lost three finals by a point, one a replay and brought another SF to a replay.

Donegal have also beaten Dublin but have lost to them on many occasions buy big scores.

Kerry have not beaten Dublin this decade in a championship game.

But Mayo are referred to, as in the post above, as "an average team".

People can't have it both ways. Dublin are either a great team and Mayo a very good one, or Dublin are a just above average team and Mayo an average one.

Based on their meetings in the last few years Dublin cannot be reagrded an excellent team and Mayo an average one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

jr86 wrote:
    Win a game in Croke Park first and then we can start talking potential All Irelands in the next few years, until then I'll go with Dublin as pretty much nailed on as you can get, with Kerry, mayo and Tyrone the teams with the outside chances and I'll begrudge the rest of Ireland so

Did Galway not win a game in Croke Park last year? I'm confused. Oh and there was a cup at the end of it too. When was the last time Mayo won a cup? FBD? League? Connacht? All Ireland? Seems like a while ago now. Trophy cabinet full of moral victories is all that is left.

They are referring to championship games, and they are right.
    Galway have got off to a great start this year and I hope they keep building on it! They have beaten us again but they need to push on from that one step at a time. Connacht next then get a championship win in croke park and the best of luck to them. See the hype this game stirred up, imagine a mayo galway super 8 clash in croke park! Savage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

This is something that comes up the odd time that I have to address.

Dublin are recognised as the team of this decade, hands down a great team, some are calling them a team of a generation and others the best of all time.

The latter two are debatable but it's pretty clear they ate a great team and have been for most of this decade.

Now in that period the team that have run them the closest has been Mayo, beat them in a SF, lost three finals by a point, one a replay and brought another SF to a replay.

Donegal have also beaten Dublin but have lost to them on many occasions buy big scores.

Kerry have not beaten Dublin this decade in a championship game.

But Mayo are referred to, as in the post above, as "an average team".

People can't have it both ways. Dublin are either a great team and Mayona very good one, or Dublin are a just above average team and Mayo an average one.

Based on their meetings in the last few years Dublin cannot be reagrded an excellent team and Mayo an average one.

Ok ,so you give no credit to Galway for beating this great Mayo team five times in a row?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,045 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ok ,so you give no credit to Galway for beating this great Mayo team five times in a row?

Yea Galway have done really well v Mayo in the early stages of the championship (I'm going to ignore the league and FBD for obvious reasons), but they have failed misrabely at the "business end" of the championship.

I'll give them credit when they get out of their group in the quarterfinals.

Yea Galway have done really well v Mayo in the early stages of the championship (I'm going to ignore the league and FBD for obvious reasons), but they have failed misrabely at the "business end" of the championship.

If the early stages of the championship are so meaningless why did 35 thousand people turn up in Castlebar last Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

This Galway team hasn't failed at the business end at all, there's about six lads in their first year so I consider this pretty much a 'new' team.

I wouldn't be backing them to win the All Ireland but at the same time, Dublin aside, I don't see any team they should be considerable outsiders against.

For the record I consider the Mayo team of the last few years an excellent team, I'm not sure they will get through the qualifiers this year but I'm hoping they do and it won't change my view of the team in any case, well it may enhance it but it won't be diminished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

jr86 wrote: »
    a) Win their first game in Croke Park in championship in 17 years. And then potentially 3 others in the same venue.
    b) Beat a team who are going for 4 all Irelands in a row and have just beaten this Galway team without really going at full pelt

That's not to mention they'd also have to potentially beat seasoned August/September teams in kerry and/or mayo, the latter who are a far better side in August

They may as well be 40/1 or longer as they haven't a hope of winning an All Ireland imo

Don't think the current team have too much of a hang-up about winning in CP. Once the team is good enough, a-la '98, who overcame a 15-year losing streak, winning will take care of itself. Not that the current team are a patch on that side, let me hasten to add.

Wouldn't say Galway haven't a hope of winning an AI. Dublin are clearly a long way ahead, but all others are much of a muchness. Can't understand the bigging up of Tyrone - they improved during the league, but were thoroughly useless in the opening match in Tuam, don't forget Dublin swatted them aside in last year's semi. Kerry have very good forward potential but have a lot of troublesome defensive positions to get nailed down. They and Dublin have always been Galway's natural football foes; Galway are playing with more solidity and confidence this year than at any other time, and when they're in this position seldom fear any other county. Their biggest immediate detraction may be over-caution from the manager.

I wouldn't predicate future prospects for either county on last Sunday's game in Castlebar. It was a once-off, winner-take-all. I think both will improve a bit from the game and play with more freedom in the next number of games at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

ClanofLams wrote: »

This Galway team hasn't failed at the business end at all, there's about six lads in their first year so I consider this pretty much a 'new' team.

I wouldn't be backing them to win the All Ireland but at the same time, Dublin aside, I don't see any team they should be considerable outsiders against.

For the record I consider the Mayo team of the last few years an excellent team, I'm not sure they will get through the qualifiers this year but I'm hoping they do and it won't change my view of the team in any case, well it may enhance it but it won't be diminished.
    I'd agree with this, it's more the attrition of the route to an aif that gives pause for thought. There are plenty of tough, fit skilful sides out there. They will wear each other down. Im just not sure that galway have the experience or squad depth this year to go week in week out against good solid sides and not slip up somewhere. On any given day, I'd give them a chance against anyone, though to beat Dublin they would need absolutely everything to fall for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

danganabu wrote: »
    97.95% to be accurate but as I'm sure you, as a betting expert, have figured out the list only includes the top 5 in the market. I have added the % from the remainder of the book to provide the overround of >115%.

Personally I wouldnt touch them at 1/5 to qualify for the super 8's, they are propably about a 4/7 shot to win connaught but if they lose to either Sligo or Roscomon there aren't too many teams in the last round of the qualifiers I would fancy them off the back of a provincial defeat against a team on the back of at least one win. There will be some very good teams in that qualifier pot.

Fair point on that. If you take that 4/7 to win Connacht however, they're going to end up in a super 8s group with the Munster winner. On average that group will look something like - Kerry, Galway, Donegal, Kildare. Again, they'll be odds on to come out of a group like that and into a semi. I personally think Galway aren't really there yet, I have them on Tyrone's level and I think that's a bit off winning an AI. Just the way the draw has fallen however by beating mayo, they do actually have a realistic (still sub 10%) shot of winning it. Someone will have to scalp Dublin in a semi or final though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Fair point on that. If you take that 4/7 to win Connacht however, they're going to end up in a super 8s group with the Munster winner. On average that group will look something like - Kerry, Galway, Donegal, Kildare. Again, they'll be odds on to come out of a group like that and into a semi. I personally think Galway aren't really there yet, I have them on Tyrone's level and I think that's a bit off winning an AI. Just the way the draw has fallen however by beating mayo, they do actually have a realistic (still sub 10%) shot of winning it. Someone will have to scalp Dublin in a semi or final though

Yeah, the draw is favourable, or as favourable as it can be. Still very hard to predict the make up of the Super 8 though, there will surely be at least one shock inclusion and conversly at least one big ommission, Mayo seem to be the early favourites for the latter, but that group of players never cease to amaze me with their resillience and even more so when their backs are against the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Supermac’s has renewed its sponsorship of Galway GAA for a further five years in a deal understood to be worth €2 million.

The fast-food group began sponsoring Galway hurling in 1991, subsequently becoming the sponsor for all Galway football and hurling.

This deal means Supermac’s will sponsor the county’s adult and youth intercounty teams in football and hurling until 2022.

Additionally, the Supermac’s sponsorship deal extends to Galway camogie and ladies football.

“Galway GAA is delighted that an agreement has been reached and that Supermac’s will continue to be the main and exclusive sponsor of all Galway GAA Inter-County Teams. This renewed sponsorship will ensure that Galway Inter-County Teams will be provided with the all of the resources necessary to compete at the highest levels of all National competitions in the years ahead,” said Galway county board chairman Pat Kearney.

Pat McDonagh, the managing director of Supermac’s, said: “Our sponsorship of the county teams is an important part of our relationship with the GAA but equally as important for us is the sponsorship we provide at local club level.

“It is the connection with supporters via club and county that makes the GAA the special organisation that it is.”

Asked whether he considered taking over the sponsorship deal for Dublin, recently renewed by AIG, Mr McDonagh said: “Insurance companies are making too much money at the moment, I couldn’t compete with them.”

Mr McDonagh’s empire includes 107 Supermac’s outlets – 34 of them operated by the company with the rest franchised – as well as the Killeshin hotel in Laois, Castletroy Park hotel in Limerick, the Charleville Park in Cork and Lough Rea hotel in Galway.

He also runs motorway service stations and owns the Irish master franchise for Papa John’s US fast food brand, as well as a chain of 10 pubs in the midwestern US called Claddagh Irish Pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I think some are being a little bit too sensitive about the dismissal of Galway's chances

Galway have developed into a fine team and if you took out Dublin they would be right up there. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them make a final, although I still don't see them beating a Kerry or Mayo in August all things being equal, although there are question marks over Mayo now. I'd have it 60/40 to Tyrone, and I'd still be cautious of a few others given galway did lose to Tipp and Roscommon the last 2 seasons

However, I just can't see this Dublin team being beaten and certainly not by galway just yet. Dismissing teams' chances is not having digs or whatever it's just acknowledging we're in the era of one of the best (if not the best) teams of all time who know how to win All Irelands. Look how they dug out the final last September

In all honesty I think the most exciting thing this year will be to see who joins Dublin in the final. I hope I'm wrong and someone can ambush the Dubs but if you properly analyse it is anybody near good enough? Ok Mayo have really pushed them but it's now 6 in a row in Championship they haven't won against them in all fairness

I think some are being a little bit too sensitive about the dismissal of Galway's chances

Galway have developed into a fine team and if you took out Dublin they would be right up there. I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them make a final, although I still don't see them beating a Kerry or Mayo in August all things being equal, although there are question marks over Mayo now. I'd have it 60/40 to Tyrone, and I'd still be cautious of a few others given galway did lose to Tipp and Roscommon the last 2 seasons

However, I just can't see this Dublin team being beaten and certainly not by galway just yet. Dismissing teams' chances is not having digs or whatever it's just acknowledging we're in the era of one of the best (if not the best) teams of all time who know how to win All Irelands. Look how they dug out the final last September

In all honesty I think the most exciting thing this year will be to see who joins Dublin in the final. I hope I'm wrong and someone can ambush the Dubs but if you properly analyse it is anybody near good enough? Ok Mayo have really pushed them but it's now 6 in a row in Championship they haven't won against them in all fairness

Big change from your post yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

That is a reasonable summation of your position jr. As a Galway man I would be slighly more bullish but not a lot.

However its hardly a bleddy surprise that some people are sensitive about Galway's chances on the Galway thread?

Big change from your post yesterday!

Well not really, it's the same point I'm making, I can't choose how people will interpret it I'm afraid

PCeeeee wrote: »
    However its hardly a bleddy surprise that some people are sensitive about Galway's chances on the Galway thread?

Fair enough, FWIW if you want to see sensitive look no further than the MayoGAA Blog in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Fair enough, FWIW if you want to see sensitive look no further than the MayoGAA Blog in fairness!

We all the the prettiest wife at home you know jr...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Maybe a semi' is a better chance to ambush the Dubs.

Agree the dubs will take some beating.But sad really that mayo supporters take comfort in the fact that Galway won’t win Sam . It’s all we’ve been hearing from
    the mayo immigrants here in Galway since Sunday.
    Sad, since most Galway people always wish mayo well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭muddle84

Agree the dubs will take some beating.But sad really that mayo supporters take comfort in the fact that Galway won’t win Sam . It’s all we’ve been hearing from
    the mayo immigrants here in Galway since Sunday.
    Sad, since most Galway people always wish mayo well
    You really think if Galway made it to the final that most mayo fans wouldn't be shouting for Galway? I'm sure the same mayo fans you're referring to in Galway got many a earful about last weekend's result this week. It works both ways! I'm one of them and that's certainly the way it was for me all week. But it's all just friendly banter! The same people were saying hard luck last September and saying delighted ye didn't win it though as we'd never hear the end of it! Banter again. Really sad isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

PCeeeee wrote: »
    We all the the prettiest wife at home you know jr...

Who shot JR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hey all. Anyone know where I might get a stand ticket for the Killkenny game or are they already sold out? Want to get one for my nephew for his birthday but seems to be none on tickets.ie where I normally buy my tickets. Usually go for the terrace myself so doesn't bother me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I think they sold out unfortunately. There's 2000 season tickets from Galway alone not includong KK season tickets or addition to players/board tickets. I think only a small amount might have gone on sale.

Your best bet would be to go into Pearse Stadium on Monday morning as they might have a seperate allocation to general sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭testtech05

I think they sold out unfortunately. There's 2000 season tickets from Galway alone not includong KK season tickets or addition to players/board tickets. I think only a small amount might have gone on sale.

Your best bet would be to go into Pearse Stadium on Monday morning as they might have a seperate allocation to general sale.

Thanks for that. I'm sure he will be happy to go to the terrace but was just hoping to treat him for the birthday he's only 9 but loves going to the games football or hurling.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

What will be the best way to travel to the match next Sunday. The traffic in salthill will be chronic I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

You'll have to drive, but if it were me, I'd get there early enough to get over the bridge and I'd park and walk. There are several back roads, but none avoid the dreaded bridge. Getting out won't be pretty either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Standout result from the first round of the club championship is probably Annaghdown giving Tuam an absolute trouncing.

They got closer to Corofin than anyone else last Autumn and they've laid down a real marker with that result.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement