Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

I hope so, a young team picked tonight.

There is a new FB page opened http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galway-Supporters-Club/304549726250215

This page with have exclusive interviews,videos,photo's and live match updates for 2012. It only started yesterday and has the backing of the county mgmt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Mulholland was probably a bit limited in who he could pick due to exams, work commitments etc

But good to see some young players being brought through, and no doubt we'll see a few more additions once college exams are out of the way.

Still no sign of Michael Meehan returning though. Would be a disaster if he ends up having to quit altogether. Anyone know if PJ is going to be involved this year? Or would we be better off moving on without him at this stage?

Result from this evening's FBD game.

Galway 1-07
    Sligo IT 0-07

The other game finished NUIG 1-06 Sligo 0-04

Spolied by the wind I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Result from this evening's FBD game.

Galway 1-07
    Sligo IT 0-07

The other game finished NUIG 1-06 Sligo 0-04

Spolied by the wind I'd imagine.

Thats an understatement:pac: If it wasnt for the centre being opened, the games wouldnt have been on, as it was gale force through out.

It was so bad last night, unsafe IMO to play football.
    FBD League 2nd Round - Galway Team v NUIG
    Tuam Stadium - 8th January 2012 - 2.00pm
    Galway Team
    1. Manus Breathnach An Spideal
    2. Kieran McGrath Corofin
    3. Keith Kelly Ballinasloe
    4. Donal O'Neill Cortoon Shamrocks
    5. Seán Denver Micheál Breathnach
    6. Gary O' Donnell Tuam Stars
    7. Tomás Fahy Killererin
    8. Barry Cullinane Claregalway
    9. Thomas Flynn Athenry
    10. Niall Coleman Annaghdown
    11. Mark Hehir Milltown
    12. Michael Boyle Killererin
    13. Eric Monahan Caherlistrane
    14. Michael Martin Milltown
    15. Conor Rabbitte Kilkerrin/Clonberne
    16. Brian O'Donoghue Claregalway
    17. Paul Conroy St. James
    18. Adrian Murphy Kilconly
    19. Conor Halloran Salthill/Knocknacarra
    20. Joe Joe Greaney Oughterard
    21. Gareth Bradshaw Maigh Cuilinn
    22. Shane Maughan St. Michaels
    23. Damien O'Reilly Oughterard
    24. Cormac Bane Caherlistrane
    25. Cathal Kenny Mountbellew/Moylough
    26. Finian Hanley Salthill/Knocknacarra

Live tracker for sunday's match - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galway-GAA-Supporters-Club/304549726250215

• Advertisement

NUI Galway 1-08 Galway 0-09

Galway scorers: Mark Hehir 0-3, Michael Martyn 0-2, Niall Coleman 0-1, Cormac Bane 0-1, Michael Boyle 0-1, Eric Monahan 0-1.

Starie1975 wrote: »
    NUI Galway 1-08 Galway 0-09

Galway scorers: Mark Hehir 0-3, Michael Martyn 0-2, Niall Coleman 0-1, Cormac Bane 0-1, Michael Boyle 0-1, Eric Monahan 0-1.

Wouldn't read too much into this result as it's clearly a very experimental team at the moment. I'd say if Mulholland can find a few new players he'll be happy enough. It's inevitable that a number of the players involved now won't be there come championship time. Some will make the cut and some won't. But he's going about it the right way. These FBD games are the ideal time to try a few new faces and see if they have something to offer at this level.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Wouldn't read too much into this result as it's clearly a very experimental team at the moment. I'd say if Mulholland can find a few new players he'll be happy enough. It's inevitable that a number of the players involved now won't be there come championship time. Some will make the cut and some won't. But he's going about it the right way. These FBD games are the ideal time to try a few new faces and see if they have something to offer at this level.

Your 100% right, over 30 players used in two matches. I was impressed with Kieran McGrath, Thomas Flynn, Niall Coleman, Mark Hehir, Paul Conroy, Michael Boyle, Eric Monahan and Conor Rabbitte yesterday.

Match vs London in Duggan park this Sunday at 2. Live match tracker on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galway-GAA-Supporters-Club/304549726250215

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I see two of the home League football games are up in Tuam Stadium... just great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

When doe's the Walsh cup start

• Advertisement

Walsh Cup.

Galway play the winners of Carlow v U.C.D on the 29/02/2012

Carlow and U.C.D are playing on the 22/02/2012. Galway of course will be playing away from home.

Got this info on http://fodh.ie/2011/12/walsh-cup-draw-2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

c_man wrote: »
    I see two of the home League football games are up in Tuam Stadium... just great.

:(

I die a little inside everytime I go to Tuam Stadium and see how horrible and out-dated it is.

I die a little inside everytime I go to Tuam Stadium and see how horrible and out-dated it is.

I was in tuam last Sunday, no sign of a cup of tae anywhere.
    Headign to Duggan Park on Sunday, going to bring my own flask.;)

I think the FBD games should be played on club grounds. What do you think? Corofin, An Spideal, Conbur, Ros Muc, Kilkerrin-Clonberne etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Mmm.... the stand is poor and refreshment facilities are hit and miss, but they've improved the ground a lot in recent times. The terraces are wide and tidy, there's a new toilet block behind the town end, the pitch itself is usually very good. The terrace the town side of the stand could be improved as could the sideline area for the teams. Scoreboard could do with a facelift. As a ground, it's way ahead of Duggan park. The new stand apart, the rest of McHale park in C'bar is no paradise either you must remember.

The stand really needs some work. Granted it doesn't have to be as grand as McHale park is now but just an adequate stand that won't give you pneumonia. No complaints about the pitch, terraces are going to age regardless and I'm not really bothered about eating at matches so that's not a problem for me personally.

Galway Team v London
    Competition: FBD League 3rd Round
    Venue: Duggan Park Ballinasloe
    Date: 15th January 2012
    Time: 1.00pm
    1. Manus Breathnach An Spideal
    2. Kieran McGrath Corofin
    3. Finian Hanley Salthill/Knocknacarra
    4. Keith Kelly Ballinasloe
    5. Damien O'Reilly Oughterard
    6. Gareth Bradshaw Maigh Cuilinn
    7. Gary Sice Corofin
    8. Paul Conroy St. James
    9. Thomas Flynn Athenry
    10. Eric Monahan Caherlistrane
    11. Mark Hehir Milltown
    13. Michael Martin Milltown
    14. Nicky Joyce Killererin
    15. Cormac Bane Caherlistrane
    16. Bernard Power Corofin
    17. Sean Denvir Micheál Breathnach
    18. Conor Halloran Salthill/Knocknacarra
    19. Joe Joe Greaney Oughterard
    20. Gary O'Donnell Tuam Stars
    21. Tomás Fahy Killererin
    22. Cathal Kenny Mountbellew/Moylough
    23. Conor Rabbitte Kilkerrin/Clonberne
    24. Shane Maughan St. Michaels
    Team Manager: Alan Mulholland
    Selectors: Alan Flynn & Donal O Fatharta

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

The sooner Tuam Stadium is deveoped the better. I hate Pearse Stadium. Awkward location, Parking issues, contrary residents, traffic problems in and out, wind tunnel of a pitch etc.Tuam is the home of Galway Football. Enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

gammygils wrote: »
    The sooner Tuam Stadium is deveoped the better. I hate Pearse Stadium. Awkward location, Parking issues, contrary residents, traffic problems in and out, wind tunnel of a pitch etc.Tuam is the home of Galway Football. Enough said
    I agree with you apart from the parking issues are no better in Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

gammygils wrote: »

A nice thought alright but Tuam needs major major renovations because as it is it is a throwback to the 1950's and not fit to hold a championship match. The stand is more or less a hay shed and the less said about the jacks the better. There may be a new set of toilets there but they would be hoplessly inadequate if a championship type crowd of 25,000 turned up.

It will probably still get the odd league game here and there but that's about it for the forseeable future unfortunately.

Galway Team v Sligo
    Competition: FBD League 4th Round
    Venue: Tuam Stadium
    Date: 22nd January 2012
    Time: 2.00pm
    1. Bernard Power Corofin
    2. Colin Forde Killererin
    3. Finian Hanley Salthill/Knocknacarra
    4. Keith Kelly Ballinasloe
    5. Gareth Bradshaw Maigh Cuilinn
    6. Gary O'Donnell Tuam Stars
    7. Gary Sice Corofin
    8. Joe Joe Greaney Oughterard
    9. Thomas Flynn Athenry
    10. Mark Hehir Milltown
    11. Paul Conroy St. James
    13. Michael Martin Milltown
    14. Nicky Joyce Killererin
    15. Shane Maughan St. Michaels
    16. Manus Breathnach An Spideal
    17. Kieran McGrath Corofin
    18. Tom Fahy Killererin
    19. Seán Denvir Micheál Breathnach
    20. Conor Halloran Salthill/Knocknacarra
    21. Eric Monahan Caherlistrane
    22. Cathal Kenny Mountbellew/Moylough
    23. Conor Rabbitte Kilkerrin/Clonberne
    24. Peadar Ó Gríofa Micheál Breathnach
    25. Seán Armstrong Salthill/Knocknacarra

If you can't go to Tuam you can follow the match tracker on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galway-GAA-Supporters-Club/304549726250215?ref=tn_tnmn

• Advertisement

There is a supporters bus to Derry for the NFL match on the 5th of February. Bus leaving Galway on the Saturday at 1. Staying in a city centre hotel, match tickets and bus transfers. Should be good fun.

PM me for more details (not sure if I can post the price) or like our FB page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galway-GAA-Supporters-Club/304549726250215 We've just posted our first video with more to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Starie1975 wrote: »
    There is a supporters bus to Derry for the NFL match on the 5th of February. Bus leaving Galway on the Saturday at 1. Staying in a city centre hotel, match tickets and bus transfers. Should be good fun.

PM me for more details (not sure if I can post the price) or like our FB page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Galway-GAA-Supporters-Club/304549726250215 We've just posted our first video with more to follow.

You're involved in this page? Fair play, the live tracker has been great for keeping track of games. Hopefully ye keep it up right up until the championship.

The bus is a good idea too. Will have to give the Derry game a miss due to work but will def try to come along to a couple of away league games later on

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    You're involved in this page? Fair play, the live tracker has been great for keeping track of games. Hopefully ye keep it up right up until the championship.

The bus is a good idea too. Will have to give the Derry game a miss due to work but will def try to come along to a couple of away league games later on

Thanks dude. We'll be keeping the FB page going all year alright and going to have fun with it. Webpage on the way also. Any ideas are welcome.

Not sure about the Westmeath game but we'll have a bus going to the Monaghan game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Got my season ticket. Here's hoping I get more use out of it than last year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Countryboymike

Anybody at the match and who played well.Any idea who will make it and who will not

Are you going to the match? Still a few seats on the supporters bus check out http://www.facebook.com/TribesmenGAA.Football for more details.

It's just been announced at the Galway football press conference that Finian Hanley will be the senior football team captain for 2012.

Very worrying to see on Hoganstand how uncertain it is that Meehan will ever play again.

1 Manus Breathnach An Spideal
    2 Colin Forde Cill Fhir Iarainn
    3 Finian Hanley Br. na Tra/Cn. na Cathrach
    4 Keith Kelly Béal Átha na Slua
    5 Garreth Bradshaw Maigh Cuilinn
    6 Johnny Duane Naomh Séamus
    7 Gary O'Donnell Realta Thuama
    8 Thomas Flynn Baile Átha'n Rí
    9 Fionntáin Ó Curraoin Micheál Breathnach
    10 Jonathan Ryan Cill Chloirín/Cluain Bheirne
    11 Paul Conroy Naomh Séamus
    12 Mark Hehir Baile Mhuilinn
    13 Michael Martin Baile Mhuilinn
    14 Cormac Bane Cathair Liosgreáin
    15 Danny Cummins Baile Clár na Gaillimh
    16 Adrian Faherty Baile Clár na Gaillimhe
    17 Kieran McGrath Corafinne
    18 Gary Sice Corafinne
    19 Diarmuid Blake Baile Mhuilinn
    20 Tomás Fahy Cill Fhir Iarainn
    21 Barry Cullinane Baile Clár na Gaillimhe
    22 Joe Bergin An Creagán/Magh Locha
    23 Cathal Kenny An Creagán/Magh Locha
    24 Nicky Joyce Cill Fhir Iarainn
    25 Joe Joe Greaney Úachtar Ard
    26 Shane Maughan Naomh Micheal

Follow the match tracker on http://www.facebook.com/TribesmenGAA.Football or leave a message of support to the Galway team on the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

How does that compare to a full strength team? Obviously you'd be hoping P Joyce is back in there come championship and hoping against hope to see something of Michael Meehan, but besides those two how strong a team is it?

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    How does that compare to a full strength team? Obviously you'd be hoping P Joyce is back in there come championship and hoping against hope to see something of Michael Meehan, but besides those two how strong a team is it?

Players who are out.
    Boyle (handstring), Coleman (Quad), Meehan (long term), Army (ankle), PJ (?), M Clancy (Honeymoon)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement