Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Commiserations to the senior camogie side who lost out to Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Was down in Thurles on sat night..........

thought Daly was brilliant, and the switching between midfield and full forward worked a treat.

Thought Davy Glennon was absolutely unbelieveable, skinned the dublin back six on numerous ocassions, and his fielding in the air was to be seen to be believed at some points.

the one major thing that came out of that game for me, and this is from a man living in Dublin, who supports Galway (because of the parents!), is that the galway midfield/half backs made Liam Rushe look distinctly average.....controversial i know, but thats what it looked like to me.

Hopefully the lads push on now, and within three or so years, a squad containing the minors and u21s could be something unreal, but as my grandfather says, who used to train St Grellans, its all booze and women who screw up the underagers going on to senior. And do ya know what, Ive a sneaking suspicsion he's dead right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

Lads whats the story with Richie Cummins? Is he injured?

Good win on Saturday, well done to the lads. Good prospects in Barry Daly, Davy Glennon, James Regan and David Burke. Who knows, maybe last years trimming will prove to be character building.
    Perhaps we could even cal up a few minors for the senior squad next season? We may as well give the young lads their head. Frankly, they couldn't do any worse than the contemporary bunch.

Also, on the roll call for underage achievements, Saint Jarlaths should have won the Hogan this year. There's a few good footballers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

meriwether wrote: »
    Lads whats the story with Richie Cummins? Is he injured?

He's picked up a few injuries over the past year, I heard (but can't confirm) that he picked up another injury in training over the past few weeks which kept him out of the U21 matches this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

John McIntyre has resigned as of an hour ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

I wish him well as i think he is a very genuine man but it was time for him to go and now we need to get the right guy and get some of the 21s into the squad and please God we don't end up with Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I wish him well as i think he is a very genuine man but it was time for him to go and now we need to get the right guy and get some of the 21s into the squad and please God we don't end up with Davy

I'd be surprised if Davy will go for Galway - his eyes are firmly set on Clare.

Most likely candidate is Anthony Cunningham. If he gets it, I hope he "cleans house" with the senior squad and puts in some of the U-21's from this year. Granted they may not be any better than the crowd that were there this year, but by God they couldn't be any worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'd give it to Anthony Cunningham.

He has proved that he is a winner, but most importantly, that he's a winner after a heavy loss. That shows character. And if he has that instilled in the u-21's, then I'd give him 3 years to bring them on.

In the mean time, I hope that what needs to be cleared out at Senior level is cleared out. And soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

...and please God we don't end up with Davy

A mate of mine (heavily involved with the GAA in Kilkenny) told us that Davy was going to resign the Waterford job and go to Galway because McIntyre was stepping down.

Later that night, Davy resigned from Waterford, and now this. Two thirds of the prophecy has come to pass... bwahahahahahaaaa... the destructionnnn of Galway hurling is almost complete... sooonnnn, Davy Fitz will be your managerrrrr!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

......and not forgetting our football manger.

It's down to two now - Mulholland and Fathy. Walsh has ruled himself out and will stay with Sligo for 2012. (Good luck to him)

Mulholland IMO.

• Advertisement

We rely need to get both hurling and football management decisions right as with the underage success we have at both codes we cant keep squandering the talent that's in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GAA_PUNTER

Betting news on next Galway Hurling manager http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/50970/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

GAA_PUNTER wrote: »
    Betting news on next Galway Hurling manager http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/50970/

If those are the actual prices on offer then John Mulholland should be ashamed. 8/11 fav, Evs 2nd fav, 5/2, 7/2 etc

John Mulholland have given a three year term last night. Great news IOM.

Good luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Hope he'll get a few years in the job. A new manager every year is getting embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Starie1975 wrote: »
    John Mulholland have given a three year term last night. Great news IOM.

Good luck to him.

Alan no? :)

Good news though

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Alan no? :)

Good news though

:D:D

Thanks Hulk, yes it Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

He really needs 3 years in the job irrespective of results.

Galway are low at the moment, rebuilding (team/confidence) is the only word to describe what needs to be done.

Goals for 3 years in charge.

Football League: Back into the top division, and a semi final appearance(top 4 finish)

Connacht:, at least one title and a creditable performance each year.

All Ireland:Each year to compete in the All Ireland, by this I mean, quarter final appearance to be a regular thing(2 out of 3 years minimum) and pushing on to at least one semi final appearance.

This would be a huge step forward, and as I said before, he needs 3 years to get us back up there and competing.

ki wrote: »
    He really needs 3 years in the job irrespective of results.

Galway are low at the moment, rebuilding (team/confidence) is the only word to describe what needs to be done.

Goals for 3 years in charge.

Football League: Back into the top division, and a semi final appearance(top 4 finish)

Connacht:, at least one title and a creditable performance each year.

All Ireland:Each year to compete in the All Ireland, by this I mean, quarter final appearance to be a regular thing(2 out of 3 years minimum) and pushing on to at least one semi final appearance.

This would be a huge step forward, and as I said before, he needs 3 years to get us back up there and competing.

I wouldn't like to have been Santa commin to your house your not part of the and a surprise generation

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

I wouldn't like to have been Santa commin to your house your not part of the and a surprise generation

WTF are you on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 JMaloney

Anyone know what the story is with the club hurling referees withdrawing their services in Galway?

JMaloney wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with the club hurling referees withdrawing their services in Galway?

First I've heard about it but I'll do some digging.

JMaloney wrote: »

With the quality of refs we have in Galway will anybody notice?

Something to do with who got to Ref the county final I'm hearing???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Anthony Cunningham is after naming his first training panel for the 2011/2012 season
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/1121/galway_cunninghama.html

Very suprised the Ger Farragher is not in it - although it might be that he isnt available for selection? He is one of our better players, so hard to see why he would be dropped

LowOdour wrote: »
    Anthony Cunningham is after naming his first training panel for the 2011/2012 season
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/1121/galway_cunninghama.html

Very suprised the Ger Farragher is not in it - although it might be that he isnt available for selection? He is one of our better players, so hard to see why he would be dropped

Again from the rumor mill : Farragher, Barry, Joyce, Kavanagh, Forde, Lee, Cullinane, Gantley and Callanan all dropped. I'm a footballer but with my so call knowledge I'm supprised to hear about Kavanagh being dropped.

The panel was apparently announced on Saturday.

James Skehill, David Collins, Fergal Moore, Tony Og Regan, Kevin Hynes, Andy Smith, Cyril Donnellan, Enna Ryan, Damien Hayes, Joe Canning, Mark Lydon, Jamie Ryan, Barry Daly, Conor Cooney, David Burke, Davy Glennon, Deci Connolly, Ger O Halloran, James Regan, Jason Grealish, Johnny Coen, Niall Burke, Ritchie Cummins, Brian Regan, Iarla Tannian, Bernard Burke, Conor Burke, Donal Cooney, Donal Fox, Fergal Flannery, Niall Donoghue, Paul Gordon, Tadhg Haran, Aidan Harte, Paul Huban, Mark Horan, Brian Flaherty

They issues a press release as well
    However we want to strongly emphasise that it is an open ended panel and will be revised for the 2012 League campaign. Player performances during club and college campaigns will be closely monitored. In addition, the work that will be undertaken by the Galway Development squad will be important in providing the environment to produce players that have the necessary attributes and potential to progress to the senior squad.

If they actually think anybody in Galway is falling for that load of guff they're not going to get the support they want. There's been every few, if any, players brought into a Galway panel during the season on the strength of club form and made an impact in championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

antoobrien wrote: »
    If they actually think anybody in Galway is falling for that load of guff they're not going to get the support they want. There's been every few, if any, players brought into a Galway panel during the season on the strength of club form and made an impact in championship.

Previous regimes has absolutely nothing to do with Anthony Cunningham or he's team, and tbh with the exception of Farragher, who maybe unavailable for other reasons, he has cut alot of deadweight, something that had to be done.

Previous regimes has absolutely nothing to do with Anthony Cunningham or he's team

In fairness he's done exactly what a lot of previous regimes have done - prejudged players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

antoobrien wrote: »
    In fairness he's done exactly what a lot of previous regimes have done - prejudged players.

That may be true, but everyone knows for a while now that there were a fair few players who needed to be cut. They had consistently failed when the white heat of championship came upon them, and couldn't keep going as they were.

I'm a bit surprised at Kavanagh being dropped, maybe his club's relegation from Senior counted against him (i.e. he was unable to keep them up, not the fact that he will be playing Intermediate club championship next year). Also there are a few left over from this years panel that can count themselves very lucky not to be in the same boat as Kavanagh.

I just hope that Cunningham sticks with the young lads and doesn't go running back to the cut players when things may not be working out for him later on in the year. The next year or two are essentially a development cycle (ala tipp in 2008 and 2009) and he needs to develop these players and get them used to the levels of intensity at Senior Intercounty hurling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement