Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

With a lot of those players the desire wasn't really there. When you see John Lee warming up against Waterford with a Matt Le Tissier-level physique you wonder how long they have left. Delighted to see the U-21s like Harran brought up though. Don't expect anymore than a good QF journey next year though but maybe we can dream of something good in the next 5 years, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

antoobrien wrote: »
    The panel was apparently announced on Saturday.

James Skehill, David Collins, Fergal Moore, Tony Og Regan, Kevin Hynes, Andy Smith, Cyril Donnellan, Enna Ryan, Damien Hayes, Joe Canning, Mark Lydon, Jamie Ryan, Barry Daly, Conor Cooney, David Burke, Davy Glennon, Deci Connolly, Ger O Halloran, James Regan, Jason Grealish, Johnny Coen, Niall Burke, Ritchie Cummins, Brian Regan, Iarla Tannian, Bernard Burke, Conor Burke, Donal Cooney, Donal Fox, Fergal Flannery, Niall Donoghue, Paul Gordon, Tadhg Haran, Aidan Harte, Paul Huban, Mark Horan, Brian Flaherty

They issues a press release as well

If they actually think anybody in Galway is falling for that load of guff they're not going to get the support they want. There's been every few, if any, players brought into a Galway panel during the season on the strength of club form and made an impact in championship.

Alan Kerins this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

A good QF journey? Really? If there was such thing, why exactly have Galway sacked their last few managers? :confused: I knew it must be annoying everyone building ye up every year, but they'd have to be more ambitious than that!

As for the players gone, Kavanagh had it tough against Waterford, but it's amazing that you can be nominated for an all-star and two years later be dropped off the team. I wouldn't read too much into this so-called 'baggage' thing people harp on about. Think for experience sake and notable ability, himself and Farragher should still be there. There may be a few more they could have dropped off the team instead. And what age is Donal Barry? Is he not only 22/23? Interesting to see him dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

MfMan wrote: »
    Alan Kerins this year.

What impact did he make - I could have played corner forward against clare & cork they were that bad. Just like the rest of them (with the notable exception of gantley, who has been dropped) he was cat against Dublin

There may be a few more they could have dropped off the team instead. And what age is Donal Barry? Is he not only 22/23? Interesting to see him dropped.

It's worth looking at who was dropped. 6 of them are from teams in or near the city.

Farragher & Barry - Castlegar
    Lee & Callinan - Mellowes
    Kearns & Forde - Clarinbridge
    Cullinane - Craughwell
    Callanan & Kavanagh - Kinvara
    Gantley - Beagh
    Joyce - Cappatagle

Gantley is very hard done by, seeing as he was more effective in the championship than tannion & smith (who have both kept their places).

It's worth looking at who was dropped. 6 of them are from teams in or near the city.

Why does that matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

A good QF journey? Really? If there was such thing, why exactly have Galway sacked their last few managers? :confused: I knew it must be annoying everyone building ye up every year, but they'd have to be more ambitious than that!

Limerick got the quarter-final this year and really could have beaten Dublin on the day, and I'd regard it as a successful year for them. Last year Galway got to a quarter-final but also put in two of the most gutless, awful performances of the year. They were an absolute disgrace against both Dublin and Waterford.

What impact did he make - I could have played corner forward against clare & cork they were that bad. Just like the rest of them (with the notable exception of gantley, who has been dropped) he was cat against Dublin

Farragher & Barry - Castlegar
    Lee & Callinan - Mellowes
    Kearns & Forde - Clarinbridge
    Cullinane - Craughwell
    Callanan & Kavanagh - Kinvara
    Gantley - Beagh
    Joyce - Cappatagle

Gantley is very hard done by, seeing as he was more effective in the championship than tannion & smith (who have both kept their places).

I know changes had to be made but I thought Barry looked good last year, and Farragher is an excellent player. Gantley was the only player who performed in the match against Dublin, so that's a bit surprising considered others kept their places. Kavanagh too, obviously.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Limerick got the quarter-final this year and really could have beaten Dublin on the day, and I'd regard it as a successful year for them. Last year Galway got to a quarter-final but also put in two of the most gutless, awful performances of the year. They were an absolute disgrace against both Dublin and Waterford.

Agreed, but Limerick were coming from a much different place. Galway have been consistently in quarter finals over the last number of years, they need to make some progress!

Leinster is huge for them. Win it and they get into a Semi Final, maybe just the fact that a Leinster Final will be a called a Final and not a Quarter Final may help them overcome the pressure in some way!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Only one major talking point, Election of chairman.

John Joe Holleran won the election and will serve his final year in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

Why does that matter?

close to the front door and halo id say is what hes getting at. but its a bull**** argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I see Cunningham took under 21 job also, maybe I'm being cynical but (this is a top under 21 team even better than last year and they're hot favourites for the AI) I reckon he sees that an AI win in under 21 for him will account for a potential poor season at senior level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭randd1

Leinster is huge for them. Win it and they get into a Semi Final, maybe just the fact that a Leinster Final will be a called a Final and not a Quarter Final may help them overcome the pressure in some way!

Won't make a difference whether a game is called a QF, A SF or a final, they won't beat us (Kilkenny) whenever or if ever they meet us next year, Galway are simply not good enough. They might beat the likes of Dublin/Cork/Limerick/Clare/Waterford on their day but they're far off Kilkenny and Tipp with their current personnel and attitude and won't beat either.

Galway fans need to be realistic, next year has to be all about blooding the U21's and maybe some of the minors too in the league and giving them championship experience thereafter. Galway don't lack and have never lacked the skill or ability, they've lacked the right players and strength in depth, and attitude.
    The U21's and minors this year played differently to Galway underage teams of the past, they played as a team rather than individuals in both levels, this for me was a fierce positive for the future for Galway as it signals a change in attitude towards the team. Blooding as many young lads this year and getting that attitude in the panel could set Galway up for a shot at winning Liam in 2/3 years for me.

Next season though can't be just about winning for Galway, they're not good enough, they need to build. Rather, they should bring on the good good young lads, give them a taste of intercounty senior and a bit of big match experience, get rid of the dead wood and the guys who don't do it in the big games and most crucially put in place an attitude of fighting for the Galway jersey instead of just in-fighting. Do that and I'd fancy Galway to win Liam within 2/3 years, they have serious talent, they just need to get the other things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

cgpg5 wrote: »
    I see Cunningham took under 21 job also, maybe I'm being cynical but (this is a top under 21 team even better than last year and they're hot favourites for the AI) I reckon he sees that an AI win in under 21 for him will account for a potential poor season at senior level.

A bit harsh. It's become common these days for senior managers to take the reins at U-21 level aswell. It makes sense really.

randd1 wrote: »
    Won't make a difference whether a game is called a QF, A SF or a final, they won't beat us (Kilkenny) whenever or if ever they meet us next year

While most of what you said in your post is correct, you're being a little presumptious here. As much as Kilkenny are a better team right now, Galway have caught ye on the hop before and will do so again sooner or later.

randd1 wrote: »
    Won't make a difference whether a game is called a QF, A SF or a final, they won't beat us (Kilkenny) whenever or if ever they meet us next year, Galway are simply not good enough.

My, my, my, aren't we proud. A quote from '01 immediately springs to mind; "Kilkenny woke up in the morning wondering if they were becoming the best team of all time. They went to bed wondering how many All-Stars they might get"

There's a lot of truth in what you say, but Galway don't fear KK in any way like they fear Cork. (Ask the clubs!) It may take Cunningham a while to put his stamp on matters, and nobody's sure if he's the man to do it anyway, but a new / inexperienced Galway team is perhaps more dangerous than a seasoned one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

My, my, my, aren't we proud. A quote from '01 immediately springs to mind; "Kilkenny woke up in the morning wondering if they were becoming the best team of all time. They went to bed wondering how many All-Stars they might get"

There's a lot of truth in what you say, but Galway don't fear KK in any way like they fear Cork. (Ask the clubs!) It may take Cunningham a while to put his stamp on matters, and nobody's sure if he's the man to do it anyway, but a new / inexperienced Galway team is perhaps more dangerous than a seasoned one.

Pretty much everything he said is true though if you are been honest and the fact you had to dig up a quote from 11 years ago pretty much sums it up.

And why to fcuk would ye fear Cork they are in a worse state by far than Galway.

While I do agree Kilkenny are better (of course), I do think it's a bit much to be writing Galway off at this stage. They've a hell of a lot of work to do, granted, but I'd still be wary of them.

Pretty much everything he said is true though if you are been honest and the fact you had to dig up a quote from 11 years ago pretty much sums it up.

And why to fcuk would ye fear Cork they are in a worse state by far than Galway.

Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.

I have hope for the current side for the future. To expect things immediately though is a bit much but I feel that people could blame if he goes out early while being in charge of the U-21's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

While I do agree Kilkenny are better (of course), I do think it's a bit much to be writing Galway off at this stage. They've a hell of a lot of work to do, granted, but I'd still be wary of them.

No, that kind of talk is what has Galway hurling in the mess that it is. The players, management, supporters etc. not been told what they are (rubbish). At best, they are 6th in line for the Liam McCarthy next year, and will do very well to get to a semi-final. Even if they do, I wouldn't see it as an improvement as usually 1 good year in Galway hurling is followed by a shít one.

Would you, as a Waterford man (i think), really be wary of Galway given we have never beaten ye in championship hurling, and the one time (i.e. this year in Thurles) that it looked like we could finally break that duck, the team falls flat on their face AGAIN.

Kojak wrote: »
    No, that kind of talk is what has Galway hurling in the mess that it is. The players, management, supporters etc. not been told what they are (rubbish). At best, they are 6th in line for the Liam McCarthy next year, and will do very well to get to a semi-final. Even if they do, I wouldn't see it as an improvement as usually 1 good year in Galway hurling is followed by a shít one.

Would you, as a Waterford man (i think), really be wary of Galway given we have never beaten ye in championship hurling, and the one time (i.e. this year in Thurles) that it looked like we could finally break that duck, the team falls flat on their face AGAIN.

Absolutely. A team is most dangerous when not being given a chance. There won't be a special report on Galway next year by 'League Sunday', and we won't have everybody shouting from the roof tops that Galway are the only team that can take Kilkenny or Tipp. Instead, they'll all be on about Dublin. I don't for a second think Galway will win the all-ireland, but I was talking about a Leinster Championship, and I don't think that is beyond them. Granted, they've a lot of work to do, but I mean Kilkenny never won an all-ireland by sitting on their hands. Nobody did. One of the main problems with Galway, I think, is they didn't work hard enough, which may have stemmed from the fact that everyone is always talking them up.

It doesn't matter a toss, who is 'in line' for a Liam McCarthy. It's all about how performs on the day. Granted, Galway have a tendency not to, and they were appaling last year against Dublin and Waterford, but a lot can change in a year. Tipp are the prime example of that.

Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.

Surely if that was the case Galway would fear everyone, they did'nt win a game untill around 1980 :p

• Advertisement

Surely if that was the case Galway would fear everyone, they did'nt win a game untill around 1980 :p

You're beating a dead horse here

You're beating a dead horse here

Strictly tounge in cheek Diabhal, although I do miss the old days in the late eighties when the rivarly between Tipp and the matties was bordering on hatred.....good times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

What do ye make of the new County Hurling Championship format?

First round- 20 teams, 10 matches. 10 winners go straight into group stages.

Play off. 10 losers from first round go into a playoff. 5 matches. 5 winners go into group stages, 5 losers go into a relegation league.

Group stages- 10 winners from first round and 5 winners of playoffs join the intermediate champions (who get a bye) in the group stages. 4 groups x 4 teams. Top 2 qualify for quarter finals while bottom 2 in each group go into a shield.

Relegation League 5 losers from playoffs go into a league where the team that finishes bottom is relegated.

The biggest complaint I've heard, was that Kinvara avoid relegation.

Unfortunately during restructuring, this type of situation is inevitable, but if it leads to a better championship then so be it.

More importantly there was also a recommendation to have set dates to be adhered too with re-fixtures within 3 days off the set date, and to play games during the summer months.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    What do ye make of the new County Hurling Championship format?

First round- 20 teams, 10 matches. 10 winners go straight into group stages.

Play off. 10 losers from first round go into a playoff. 5 matches. 5 winners go into group stages, 5 losers go into a relegation league.

Group stages- 10 winners from first round and 5 winners of playoffs join the intermediate champions (who get a bye) in the group stages. 4 groups x 4 teams. Top 2 qualify for quarter finals while bottom 2 in each group go into a shield.

Relegation League 5 losers from playoffs go into a league where the team that finishes bottom is relegated.

I think it's a good system, too many meaningless games being played when you have four team coming out of a five team group. :eek:

A lot of high tempo games will be played which will attract people to matches. I just hope the county board will make them double headers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The biggest complaint I've heard, was that Kinvara avoid relegation.

Unfortunately during restructuring, this type of situation is inevitable, but if it leads to a better championship then so be it.

With a Kinvara man the chairman of the hurling board, what do you expect. It could have been avoided by voting over whether Killimordaly should have been promoted (with Moycullen) or the KD proposal they they play off against Kinvata for fairness.

This shouldn't have gone ahead for the 2012 championship as it's changing the rules after it starts (kinvara down).

The biggest problem I have with this thing is that it won't address the fundamental problem with Galway club hurling - the willingness of the people involved to run it properly, nothing will change until a lot of the people involved are moved on, which will take years.

Also note with interest that plans for developing Mountain South in Athenry have been shelved. Took them a while to see sense over that one. They'll have a job to recoup most of the outlay spent on it to date however. There'll be plenty more balmy evenings in Kenny Park watching the teams train so.

Also note with interest that plans for developing Mountain South in Athenry have been shelved. Took them a while to see sense over that one. They'll have a job to recoup most of the outlay spent on it to date however. There'll be plenty more balmy evenings in Kenny Park watching the teams train so.

I was down in Mallow last week. You'd want to see the ground they have.

http://mallowgaa.com/index.php/complex/

Hindsight is great but it's a shame Galway GAA (Hurling and football) didn't get together back in the day.

Round 1 - Galway vs Sligo IT,

Wednesday, 4th January, 6.30pm @ Centre of Excellence, Ballyhaunis.

Galway Team

1. Brian O'Donoghue Claregalway
    2. Keith Kelly Ballinasloe
    3. Colin Forde Killererin
    4. Donal O'Neill Cortoon Shamrocks
    5. Conor Halloran Salthill/Knocknacarra
    6. Gareth Bradshaw Maigh Cuilinn
    7. Damien O'Reilly Oughterard
    8. Fintan Ó Curraoin Micheál Breathnach
    9. Paul Conroy St. James
    10. Cathal Kenny Mountbellew/Moylough
    11. Cormac Bane Caherlistrane
    12. Michael Boyle Killererin
    13. Adrian Murphy Kilconly
    14. Joe Joe Greaney Oughterard
    15. Shane Maughan St. Michaels
    16. Manus Breathnach An Spideal
    17. Thomas Flynn Athenry
    18. Michael Martin Milltown
    19. Kieran McGrath Corofin
    20. Gary O'Donnell Tuam Stars
    21. Mark Hehir Milltown
    22. Tomás Fahy Killererin
    23. Conor Rabbitte Kilkerrin/Clonberne
    23. Gary Sice Corofin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Cheers Starie. Lots of exciting youngsters there, makes me look forward to the season ahead. We're due a good one :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement