Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He was meant to be retired before that Roscommon game in Hyde Park a few years ago. Even last year he was meant to be one bad turn away from retirement, couldn't train and still played 5 championship matches with 4 of those in quick succession. That's not to say he'll be back but there's a reason why it isn't a retirement. Anybody else would've retired by now but he's a different animal altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

FlashD wrote: »

Cmon, you either have a seriously short memory or you're having a laugh.

Second best Galway forward of the modern era, as clarified by LowOdour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Seriously depressing news. One thing I always remember about Mikey was a league game down in Cork in 09. We all knew how talented he was as a youngster but at senior level it took time for the ppenny to fully drop. Anyways by this day, at 24, he was unmarkable. Galway were out muscled all over the field but we're kept in it by kicking ball in his direction and watching him continously beat his 2 markers and score. Sadly the injuries started that year, just when he was becoming the player his underage prowess promised. Only player ive ever seen go through a championship without missing a single free or 45 (08). A real shame to have him gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Really is a pity about him alright. So much talent and just bad luck that he played in such poor teams over the years. If he was a couple of years older and around for those great teams of the late 90's/early 00's then I think we could probably have squeezed another All Ireland out of that team. I'm not sure I'd rate his as our 2nd best modern forward though. He probably had the talent to be right up there with Joyce but in terms of what they actually acheived I don't think you could put him obove Ja or Michael Donnellan.

Just as an aside, does he have an All Star?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Should be noted that he hasn't retired. He needs a break after surgery on his ankle over the Winter so no football this Summer. He may or may not be back again but probably best not to put him into premature retirement just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I don't think you could put him obove Ja or Michael Donnellan.

Exactly my point, no way would I put Michael Meehan ahead of Ja Fallon Michael Donnellan or Padraig Joyce, these guys were class acts, super skilled and super talented....and that's only the forwards!

Meehan would have been regarded as a 'good' player with natural talent if he had featured in that all Ireland winning team. One step below a total class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Exactly my point, no way would I put Michael Meehan ahead of Ja Fallon Michael Donnellan or Padraig Joyce, these guys were class acts, super skilled and super talented....and that's only the forwards!

Meehan would have been regarded as a 'good' player with natural talent if he had featured in that all Ireland winning team. One step below a total class act.

Well in fairness I actually think he had the talent to be right up there with those guys if he just had better luck with injuries but ultimately he won't be remembered as a legend like those guys as he just didn't play often enough and didn't play on the big stage often enough (though this is more down to just not having good enough players around him)

I think you are severely underrating his ability. He was far better than just a "good" player. Cormac Bane was a "good" player for Galway. Not brilliant, a bit inconsistent but he had some very good days in a Galway jersey. Meehan was a vastly superior footballer to Cormac Bane and I'd say he'd admit that himself.

Meehan would have walked onto that Galway team circa 98-01 and not looked a bit out of place. I guess you could argue that Derek Savage was a good player on those Galway teams. Not outright brilliant like Joyce, Donnellan and Fallon but a good solid forward. And I think Meehan was a much better player than Savo was to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Curious as to what players you would place in the "total class act" category? Meehan would have walked in to the All Ireland winning teams.

Leitrim 0-9 Galway 0-8

Defending All-Ireland champions beaten by Leitrim. Jaysus.

• Advertisement

I think it's time the clubs came together, hold an EGM after this years championships and lay down a plan.

Galway football has descended to unacceptable levels.

Time to stop blaming managers, and look for heads to roll in the County Board as a plight this long goes beyond a down period.

13 years and counting being one of the worst counties(on championship form we're right down there at the bottom) when by population alone, we should never fall further than 8-10.

From my own perspective of playing GAA, the organisation at Junior level is pitiful.
    A few league games played off before the Championship, then it falls apart with walkovers as teams leave the championship and see no incentive to finish their games.
    So you end up playing 2/3 games over a 3 month period before returning to playing your other sports where you're getting 10 times the amount of games.

I'd imagine it works much the same in the higher leagues, from a player development POV, most clubs use Junior A to start their younger lads so this 2/3 games craic is their introduction to football at these crucial development years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Leitrim 0-9 Galway 0-8

Defending All-Ireland champions beaten by Leitrim. Jaysus.

Unreal result won't see many bigger shocks than that result. Well done to Leitrim!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

It just goes from bad to worse.

Full credit to Leitrim but that is a shocking result for Galway with half of last year's All-Ireland winning team playing.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    It just goes from bad to worse.

Full credit to Leitrim but that is a shocking result for Galway with half of last year's All-Ireland winning team playing.

To only score 0-8 against Leitrim with nearly all of last year's All Ireland winning forwards left bar Adrian Varley is abysmal.

Maybe they were eaten at midfield I don't know? One of the midfielders (Michael Day) was black carded early on. Still no excuse for losing that game.

Leitrim's first win at U-21 level in Connacht in 16 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Well done to Leitrim. If you go out with the wrong attitude you will pay the price. Might be the best thing to happen, Galway were lucky to get out of Connacht last year. Another strong showing this year might have papered over the cracks of all that's wrong with football in the county. All these players have a long way to go before they are up to the pace at senior level. Worrying to be losing tight games at this level now as well though.

Well done to Leitrim. If you go out with the wrong attitude you will pay the price. Might be the best thing to happen, Galway were lucky to get out of Connacht last year.

I don't think they were to be honest. They were the best side alright. Just about managed to rescue a draw with Roscommon at the end of normal time alright but they were by far the better side in extra-time. They deserved it.

Maybe the same hunger not there this year? Lads happy with their one All-Ireland. Maybe some complacency? Maybe the two lads in midfield were a much bigger loss than anticipated? Who Knows?

Either way not good when the seniors (if they lose) could potentially be all but relegated to division 3 next weekend on top of it.

Sounds like the Rossies had their own big scare today against Sligo but they at least managed to just about hang on in the end. Nothing like winning a tight one like that to focus the mind going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lookitnow

A few points to make on the U-21 defeat and the impact on Senior football.

1. From what I've heard that Leitrim U-21 team was one of their better prepared and talented teams in recent years. Not using it as an excuse but there would be people in Leitrim who had confidence that this team could get a result in Carrick.

2. Some of the key players from last year. Players like Damien Comer and Shane Walsh were not fully fit when called on.

3. I'm not terribly optimistic about the future of Galway football. I just don't see enough top quality in the players coming through from the 2011 and 2013 successes. The only real players making an impact are players that spanned both teams (O'Curraoin and Flynn) plus a few others like Conor Doherty, Johny Duane and and Joss Moore. None of which have really set the place alight, yet at least. From what I can see we are losing better players than we are gaining. In the last few years we've lost Padraic, Nicky Joyce and Michael Meehan to name a few. This is the reason why we are almost destined for relegation. We are not replacing the quality players we're losing. Not a whole lot management or the players can do short term at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Leitrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I don't think they were to be honest. They were the best side alright.

never seen a side so on top and not win a game as that final last year...well that and kerry minor game in 2012

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    never seen a side so on top and not win a game as that final last year...well that and kerry minor game in 2012

Only one team in it in extra-time. Have to be ahead at the long whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Congrats to Leitrim wasn't at the game so hard to know how good a team they have. Anyone in Tuam for the minors?

h2005 wrote: »
    Congrats to Leitrim wasn't at the game so hard to know how good a team they have. Anyone in Tuam for the minors?

Minors won 4-11 to 1-8. 3 late goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

this the clare team for the hurling tomorrow , should all the clare changes make galway favorites, especially with the portumna lads back?

1. Patrick Kelly
    2. Domhnall O Donovan
    3. Cian Dillon
    4. Jack Browne
    5. Brendan Bugler
    6. Conor Ryan
    7. Paul Flanagan
    8. Pat O'Connor
    9. Colm Galvin
    10. Peter Duggan
    11. Tony Kelly
    12. Shane Golden
    13. Cathal McInerney
    14. Shane O'Donnell
    15. Podge Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Only one team in it in extra-time. Have to be ahead at the long whistle.

In fairness most Galway supporters at the time said they were very lucky to reach extra time. Some result for Leitrim they don't have much to shout about at underage level and are just one home win away from winning Connacht title now.

In fairness most Galway supporters at the time said they were very lucky to reach extra time. Some result for Leitrim they don't have much to shout about at underage level and are just one home win away from winning Connacht title now.

If we're counting games we shouldn't have lost but did, I think Galway would have a lot more to gain(hurling mainly in recent times anyway).

No more than the 2012 drawn final, should have had that wrapped up at HT.

Could nearly even add the Tipp game from barely 7 days ago, they had a few sniffs at the draw having trailed by over 10 at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

I think you are severely underrating his ability. He was far better than just a "good" player. Cormac Bane was a "good" player for Galway. Not brilliant, a bit inconsistent but he had some very good days in a Galway jersey. Meehan was a vastly superior footballer to Cormac Bane and I'd say he'd admit that himself.

Meehan would have walked onto that Galway team circa 98-01 and not looked a bit out of place. I guess you could argue that Derek Savage was a good player on those Galway teams. Not outright brilliant like Joyce, Donnellan and Fallon but a good solid forward. And I think Meehan was a much better player than Savo was to be honest.

Agree to all of that. He would have been an absolute enhancement to the 98-01 team had he been there.

I know it's probably a bit premature to write his Intercounty obituary but such has been the nature of his injuries that I don't think he can seriously make his mark again at this level. The standard of fitness, pace and physical strength required is just too high. If last year's Cork game was to be his last, it was a fitting quality sign-off he delivered.

I've often written it before, but probably the biggest mistake John O'Mahoney made was to sub him v Donegal in the 2003 qualifier when he had the Donegal defence in constant worry; they came back into it when he went off to the extent that Galway were lucky to draw a game they were ahead in comfortably. They lost the replay.

Other games that stand out in the memory are the '05 1/4 final when he led the Cork defence on a dance in the first half; the '03 county final when he destroyed Killererin on his own; and of course the wet day in '08 when, in a Galway team containing some really mediocre players, he practically played Kerry on his own and nearly got his side over the winning line. His contributions to the U-21 '02 and '05 victories and '04 club AI win were also immeasurable.

Wherever and whatever he did, he did it with class.

I think it's time the clubs came together, hold an EGM after this years championships and lay down a plan.

Galway football has descended to unacceptable levels.

Time to stop blaming managers, and look for heads to roll in the County Board as a plight this long goes beyond a down period.

13 years and counting being one of the worst counties(on championship form we're right down there at the bottom) when by population alone, we should never fall further than 8-10.

From my own perspective of playing GAA, the organisation at Junior level is pitiful.
    A few league games played off before the Championship, then it falls apart with walkovers as teams leave the championship and see no incentive to finish their games.
    So you end up playing 2/3 games over a 3 month period before returning to playing your other sports where you're getting 10 times the amount of games.

I'd imagine it works much the same in the higher leagues, from a player development POV, most clubs use Junior A to start their younger lads so this 2/3 games craic is their introduction to football at these crucial development years.

It certainly goes beyond blaming the football/county board who ultimately are only representatives of the clubs. The clubs themselves are a lot of the problem. Through looking out for their own interests they seem to block any progress or initiatives that the Board attempt to bring in.

(That said, it would be no harm to have a clear down of the Board, get rid of some of the longer term incumbents there and bring in a younger profile set of officers.)

It's the clubs own fault if they don't field for all of their Junior games and should face strict sanction if they fail to turn up for more than 1 game in a competition. A lot of club players are apathetic to football in the county and training-wise don't appear to be putting it in on the training ground. There's no point in their grumbling about the fixtures list and claiming they don't know from one week to the next if and when their next match is - the fixtures book which is released near the start of the season has been followed quite accurately for a number of years now.There is no excuse.

One immediate change which must be enacted is to restore the structure of the senior and intermediate leagues to the way they were a few years back; 16 teams in each grade, divided into 2 divisions of 8. Bottom 2 teams in senior 1B to be relegated to intermediate; bottom 2 there to go down to junior. Promotion to senior to intermediate championship winners and league winners. The championship, consistently mediocre year in, year out, must be changed to 4 groups of 4, a bit like the hurling. In this way, nearly all games played would be competitive and significant. The Board had to change away from this format, claiming it contradicted (probably antiquated) GAA rules regarding promotion and relegation. If the will is there, there's a way to change back to the older, better structure.

Under the current structure there's a bit too much confusion about whether a team is 'senior' or 'intermediate' leading to apathy among the general footballing public. Apathy in general pertains to football in Galway for many years now. What is needed is a dictator, a football czar who imposes new rules and structures without having to get the irksome permission of clubs in order to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

A good game in Ennis yesterday and a fair few hundred Galway supporters there in the 9k plus crowd. Pity the ground is not done up a bit as it could be an excellent 20k capacity stadium, and it is a venue I always like going to. It was disappointing not to win when we had an extra man for over half the game and the wind also died down a bit in the second half after we had the use of it. However good spirit was shown by a lot of the players which is a good sign and many more than matched their direct opponents.
    Was down at the corresponding fixture last year, a miserable wet/windy/cold day which Clare won by a point in front of a crowd of no more than 2k, and it was a good indicator of what was to come later in the championship for both teams. That game plus the league semi-final display against Kilkenny were sign that Galway were a long way off whats required to win an All-Ireland. Next sunday could be an interesting game, and one I think they need to win as for me they are a team that needs to build up their confidence.

• Advertisement

Even this early in the season, there's a big difference between Galway of '13 and this year. There's a bit more bite and a better tactical approach already. Crucially also, the troublesome central positions are looking solider (even if the jury is still out on Tannian, whose often indiscipline is a ticking bomb). A lot of this is down to the new players brought in, Burke x 2, Brehony, Mannion. These have settled in really well and should be an example to their more experienced teammates in terms of consistency. Worryingly though, Cunningham still seems to throwing back to last year a bit; springing Andy Smith and Joe Cooney yesterday, neither of whom are really county level, nearly cost him the game. This needs to be eradicated if real progress can be made.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement