Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Good to see the hurling is in Limerick. Good ground that's easy get to and get home out of and we have a decent record there. Was worried it'd be in Thurles. We have an awful record in Thurles and its a nightmare getting in and out of.

Good to see the hurling is in Limerick. Good ground that's easy get to and get home out of and we have a decent record there. Was worried it'd be in Thurles. We have an awful record in Thurles and its a nightmare getting in and out of.

We only have a bad record in Thurles because we weren't good enough on the occasions we've been there.

2013: That was coming after the league and Dublin game.
    2011: Waterford, again the players didn't work hard enough and got what they deserved
    2010: Beat Cork there handily
    2009: You could argue we weren't good enough against Waterford but we were also shafted by Kirwan who didn't do anything to change that fact in the Clare game with a similar performance

Anything further back is irrelevant, two losses to KK when we hadn't any preparation due to the disadvantage we had in the old qualifier route.

It doesn't matter if the games were in Croker, Limerick or Thurles in those years above as we wouldn't have got anything since we didn't work hard enough.
    Got cleaned out in the HF line in just about all those games.

I think the players are working better this year, we're winning breaks and by and large everyone is putting in the required work.
    The third man in will win 90% of breaks, and that was the case over and over against KK in 2012.

Probably won't see a day like that again but the team definitely has a little more shape and purpose to it this year.

I think we'll go ok this year.
    I don't think we've anything to fear from either of last years AI finalists, we certainly have the beating of any team bar KK if the lads perform to their abilities.
    It's worth noting that as much of a shambles as we were last year, we won the second half against Clare and with a little bit of luck with one or two goal chances after closing it to 3, we may have made a semi final while performing at an unacceptable level all season.
    Add to that the lack of scores from play, problem positions at FB and CB, we were still somewhat competitive.

Burke was a big addition this year, it's just a shame he wouldn't commit a few years back due to the football with Corofin.
    In him we have a natural heir to the CB throne in the years ahead, the other Burke at FB has also performed admirably to date.
    He certainly doesn't lack in conviction and obviously gives it his all.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

I'd say it was brought there because it was a must win game for Galway and opposition teams and supporters don't like going to Tuam, as let's be honest, it's a bit of a kip. I saw over on HS today some Armagh fans giving out about it compared to the relatively plush comfortable surroundings of the dressing rooms or sitting in the stand in Pearse Stadium.

I was talking to some supporters from Armagh in Tuam who were quite upset about this. Make no bones about it, next time we play away to Armagh we'll be dragged to the far corner of it, Maghery was mentioned. After what was done to the supporters and team you can’t blame them.

For all supporters who go to all the matches this Salthill vs Tuam craic is really annoying. I couldn’t care less where the match is on as long as we perform well.

Where do I think the matches should be played as things stand? Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Salthill is a horrible spot in the city for a stadium and its proximity to the sea has given it its well-earned nickname as the wind tunnel. Well-built stadium that is wrecked by outside factors.

The love for Tuam should not be dismissed, it's in the heart of Galway football and as a location it's far handier for supporters in general.

Oh, and I don't think you need to worry about a few Armagh ladeens booking hotels in Galway City effecting the venue of future away games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭MfMan

Starie1975 wrote: »
    I was talking to some supporters from Armagh in Tuam who were quite upset about this. Make no bones about it, next time we play away to Armagh we'll be dragged to the far corner of it, Maghery was mentioned. After what was done to the supporters and team you can’t blame them.

For all supporters who go to all the matches this Salthill vs Tuam craic is really annoying. I couldn’t care less where the match is on as long as we perform well.

Where do I think the matches should be played as things stand? Salthill.

It matters though because there's a better chance of the team performing well in Tuam; players for the most part want games there as there's a better atmosphere. Similarly, the hurlers would prefer to play in Athenry, (they wanted one game in particular there, but were prevented by outside elements.).

Limerick for the hurlers will suit a bit better than Thurles as their recent record there is superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Syferus wrote: »
    Salthill is a horrible spot in the city for a stadium and its proximity to the sea has given it its well-earned nickname as the wind tunnel. Well-built stadium that is wrecked by outside factors.

The love for Tuam should not be dismissed, it's in the heart of Galway football and as a location it's far handier for supporters in general.

Oh, and I don't think you need to worry about a few Armagh ladeens booking hotels in Galway City effecting the venue of future away games.
    The heart of Galway football argument is bollocks. The game is played across the county and there are more teams in proximity to Salthill than Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

Limerick for me is a great venue. Hope the day is nice and sunny, and a good crowd turn up for it. Couldn't get to a game last sunday but already looking forward to this. I think this game against the cats, will like last years semi-final, tell us a lot in relation to what is in store for Galway in the championship. At this point I am slightly hopeful as I noticed a few good signs in the Tipp and Clare games, along with a few things that would worry me as well. Any predictions for the crowd? over 25k perhaps and what are ticket prices going to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

h2005 wrote: »
    The heart of Galway football argument is bollocks. The game is played across the county and there are more teams in proximity to Salthill than Tuam.

The game is played in around the city side of the county but few would be fool-hardy enough argue that hurling isn't king in the majority of those areas. Places like Tuam have always been football-fist.

• Advertisement

The game is played in around the city side of the county but few would be fool-hardy enough argue that hurling isn't king in the majority of those areas. Places like Tuam have always been football-fist.
    Really? How many hurling clubs are there from Clifden to Galway? You know they play football on the west board too? If hurling is king how come the number of football clubs in the city dwarfs the number of hurling clubs? The heartland argument is bollocks.

h2005 wrote: »
    Really? How many hurling clubs are there from Clifden to Galway? You know they play football on the west board too? If hurling is king how come the number of football clubs in the city dwarfs the number of hurling clubs? The heartland argument is bollocks.

I didn't say just the city itself. The commuter belt for the city encompasses pretty a lot of the big hurling areas in Galway.

The heartland argument is far from bollocks, that just comes across as a reactionary position because you're tired of hearing it. No doubt there's plenty of great football people in other areas of Galway but to try and make out there isn't quite a clear divide in most areas over which code is the primary one simply isn't true.

I didn't say just the city itself. The commuter belt for the city encompasses pretty a lot of the big hurling areas in Galway.

The heartland argument is far from bollocks, that just comes across as a reactionary position because you're tired of hearing it. No doubt there's plenty of great football people in other areas of Galway but to try and make out there isn't quite a clear divide in most areas over which code is the primary one simply isn't true.
    Could you give me an idea of where this commuter belt area extends to? Do you believe that there is more people playing hurling across this commuter belt than there is playing football?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Only to the south east really (Athenry, Clarinbridge and Carnmore), to the north of the city you have Claregalway which is football. Oranmore is a mix of both but probably more well known for football. The west of the city is all football bar a little junior hurling.

That's only immediately around the city though. It depends how far you extend the commuter belt. Commuter towns like Craughwell, Loughrea, etc are all hurling. Drive north though and it's all football clubs.

Basically draw a line between Galway and Ballinasloe and everything south is hurling and north is football although there is the odd exception. Turloughmore for example is north of that line but is a senior hurling club.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Only to the south east really (Athenry, Clarinbridge and Carnmore), to the north of the city you have Claregalway which is football. Oranmore is a mix of both but probably more well known for football. The west of the city is all football bar a little junior hurling.

That's only immediately around the city though. It depends how far you extend the commuter belt. Commuter towns like Craughwell, Loughrea, etc are all hurling. Drive north though and it's all football clubs.

Basically draw a line between Galway and Ballinasloe and everything south is hurling and north is football although there is the odd exception. Turloughmore for example is north of that line but is a senior hurling club.
    The Midlands Great Western Railway company already did that for you. :D I'm not all that fussed where in Galway Hurling and Football matches are played, but I would like it a bit further inland from Salthill. Probably get lynched for saying this but even the Sportsground has better conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

If only they concentrated on Hurling in Muckalee, The Railyard and Skeoghvosteen we here in Kilkenny would be unbeatable every year at the stick and ball game. Tis unknownst how many great hurlers we have lost to the pig bladder game because of the love of bacon in these areas.
    Looking forward to playing ye in a few weeks time. It will tell us too how we are going especially if BC continues to play a few of the more promising newcomers. I suspect though that both teams will engage in a bit of shadow hurling. The real huff and puff is still a bit down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

If only they concentrated on Hurling in Muckalee, The Railyard and Skeoghvosteen we here in Kilkenny would be unbeatable every year at the stick and ball game. Tis unknownst how many great hurlers we have lost to the pig bladder game because of the love of bacon in these areas.
    Looking forward to playing ye in a few weeks time. It will tell us too how we are going especially if BC continues to play a few of the more promising newcomers. I suspect though that both teams will engage in a bit of shadow hurling. The real huff and puff is still a bit down the road.

just read this again . . . . . . . excellent!!!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Thank God thats over seem to be improving game by game hopefully next year we can kick on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Thank God thats over seem to be improving game by game hopefully next year we can kick on

was hoping ye would get relagated not out of pure badness but for logistic reasons next year alot of the teams in division 3 bar tipp and limerick will be a bit of a drive

although galway footballers desevre better then division 3 and the good result albeit a loss against one of the best teams in the country showed that today

What was healy sent off for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

To be fair there have been improvements since the Laois game (things couldn't get any worse) but to blow comfortable positions against Louth and 14 man Armagh is worrying. Also another important game lost by a point even if Monaghan are a decent side.

Thanks to Donegal for the favour. Even ifs it probably around Galway's level at this stage the thought of Division 3 football was seriously depressing.

On to the championship, London is a potential banana skin but London and Sligo haven't been tearing up trees in the league and are both very beatable. It'd be a huge disappointment not to get to a Connacht final, although if we do get that far I don't imagine that it will be pleasant viewing.

Galway are hardly any better than Sligo and the last few encounters have proven Sligo to be the better side, the last time by quite a convincing margin.

You'll have to go to Marky for that one so I'd slow down on the 'very beatable' labelling. Sligo will be looking at the draw and licking their lips just as much you were.

On one hand you're decrying your position and on the other you're undermining a team that's beat you multiple times recently, I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Galway are hardly any better than Sligo and the last few encounters have proven Sligo to be the better side, the last time by quite a convincing margin.

Ha, great to know you're using that as your measurement for respective teams ability. We'll have to remember that one in the run up to meetings in future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Syferus you truly are the defender of all things North West. But you do have a point. Galway had two decent championship games last year but they haven't really pushed on in this League, albeit with tougher teams and a harsh number of away fixtures. Can't look past London.

Decent performance up in Monaghan today. Lost to virtually the last kick of the game having played most of the 2nd half with 14 men. Should really have taken something from the game though. Galway missed some very kickable frees in the last 10 minutes. O'Curraoin being pulled out before the game due to injury as well.

Anyone with any idea what Healy in goal was red carded for? Think he got in a tussle with one of the Monaghan corner-forwards. Did he throw him a slap?

Big improvement over the past 4 games anyway. Could easily have won all 4 but for the odd brainfart. A decent recovery after a terrible first 3 games.

At least we will have 4 home games next year in the league after 2 years in a row of 4 away games.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Ha, great to know you're using that as your measurement for respective teams ability. We'll have to remember that one in the run up to meetings in future

Zing.

Anyone with any idea what Healy in goal was red carded for? Think he got in a tussle with one of the Monaghan corner-forwards. Did he throw him a slap?

A slap accordin to radio. Wasn't there, but you'd imagine it cost them, which is slightly encouraging against one of the better teams in the country. Similar league to last year in that a lot of it was very negative, but it at least gives some hope for summer. End of the day we're juat about satisfied with the end result, however depressing part of the journey was.

Probably best that we have perceived weaker county first in championship, and hopefully build up a bit of momentum. If we get by London we'd roll into Sligo as favourites, albiet not strong ones. That game will likely make or break the year, as if we're not good enough to win there, we wouldn't be good enough to share the field with Mayo in the final.

Division 2 2015

Kildare
    Westmeath
    Meath
    Down
    Laois
    Galway
    Cavan
    Roscommon

Syferus you truly are the defender of all things North West. But you do have a point. Galway had two decent championship games last year but they haven't really pushed on in this League, albeit with tougher teams and a harsh number of away fixtures. Can't look past London.

North-west? We took the JJ Fahy Cup over the Shannon again for the proper 'The West' (as signs outside Dublin label it) yesterday. Did ye get lost on the way to that final or something? :p

Galway have plenty to prove before they can be looking beyond Sligo away, that's a far less insulting sentiment that the one I was responding to.

• Advertisement

Galway have plenty to prove before they can be looking beyond Sligo away, that's a far less insulting sentiment that the one I was responding to.

All he said was that Sligo were very beatable. How is that insulating? He wasn't saying we would hammer them? Sure plenty have been saying that Bayern are beatable this week, it hardly means United fans are talking about who they'll face in the next round

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement