Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Anyone have the result of the schools hurling final today, Loughrea v. Athenry?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

That makes sense. Because, while this is far from the greatest Galway team of all time, there are still some very good players involved and you'd have to think someone else would be capable of getting a fair bit more out of them than we've seen in the last year.

Some seriously overrated players in the Galway Squad.

Not a fan of Mulhollands approach but in fairness to him the players are the ones who need to "want it" to have any success. The current bunch of more senior players(barring one or two eg Meehan)are soft centred. Look at the capitulation to Mayo last year.

I'd rather see a couple of guys with more steel in the panel(if they can be found while having decent ability as well). Drop some of the supposedly more talented but gutless fancy dans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭macslash

feargale wrote: »
    Anyone have the result of the schools hurling final today, Loughrea v. Athenry?

Athenry won, by a goal I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

I think Laois deserve more credit I was dissapointed in Galway and the way they kind of gave up but Laois's work rate was that of a championship game and was impressive..

Galway looked clueless going forward especially when you take the fact their midfield held their own for most of the contest.

I think it could have been worse if it wasn't for the harsh black Card on Laois's dangerman and the bench been emptied by the hosts in the last 15 mins.

I hope Galway can pick it up and turn it around against Down the next day.

Met lovely people saturday night who are passionate about their football and travel along way to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

A must win game against Down, with home advantage I have a feeling (against all indications of form) that Galway will get their first 2 points of current league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

wonder88 wrote: »
    A must win game against Down, with home advantage I have a feeling (against all indications of form) that Galway will get their first 2 points of current league.

Optimistic!

Down have been going pretty well and Galway will need to improve dramatically to be winning this. Which is not out of the question but not overly likely either given the performances so far, and the serious amount of scores being conceded.

Down have some good forwards and will go to town on this Galway defence unless they can shore things up a lot. Right now as a forward you'd be licking your lips at the thought of playing Galway given how bad we've been and the amount of chances we're giving away (Meath could have had 10 goals and Laois scored more easy points than they will again for a long time).

I agree on the Down match.

Im doing the GAA predictor on Facebook and after going for two teams, I honestly couldn't think of a third sure team for the weekend before I had to put Down in.

As much as I hate to back against us, on the basis of the league games so far, I couldn't think of any other team bottom or not between any of the football or hurling divisions less likely to win in the next round.

If you take of the maroon tinted glasses, Laois were a great bet at 4/5 or whatever they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ye might be there to greet us in D2 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

Danny Cummins was fantastic when he came on today. Thought he was one of the few who excelled last year. Why is he not starting? Great goal today and great set up from Sice. Badly needed win.

Good way to come back from the Laois result.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Stanza2 wrote: »
    Danny Cummins was fantastic when he came on today. Thought he was one of the few who excelled last year. Why is he not starting?

He's still not 100% from the injury in the Cork match last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

T0001 wrote: »
    He's still not 100% from the injury in the Cork match last year

Thanks, I was just aware that he had played for Connacht in the Railway cup as well. He changed that game today when he came on for the last 10, injected real pace into the game. Two mediocre teams really but glad to get the win all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Very impressed with Eddie Hoare at 11 today. Took some brilliant scores.

James Kavanagh and Sean Armstrong were better in 2nd half when they were switched.

Good performance all round today. Especially after Portlaoise disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

gammygils wrote: »
    Very impressed with Eddie Hoare at 11 today. Took some brilliant scores.

James Kavanagh and Sean Armstrong were better in 2nd half when they were switched.

Good performance all round today. Especially after Portlaoise disaster

Saw Eddie Hoare in last years club championship and he was impressive and I was surprised to be honest. Good for him . Hope he can keep it up and do it come championship time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Surpised nothing has been posted about James Skehill leaving yet. http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/galway-stunned-as-skehill-quits-30080314.html

Shame to see him go. Probably felt 2nd choice wasn't worth the trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Are we all back loving Galway football again. I was away last weekend and missed my first Galway senior football match in three years.

Maybe i should stay away this Sunday. A tasty 2 points up for grabs here.

Contrasting day.

Hurlers were very good and footballers back to being a disorganised, bad decision making unit.

Nearly threw the Tipp game away, and they had two bites at getting the equaliser when it should never have dropped below 4.
    Poor challenge by Tannion which ultimately nearly proved crucial as it was all downhill after that.
    No need for a tackle like that out the field.

Poor decision to move Glynn out to wing forward by MGMT, I feel it was because Tipp moved their FB out there for one of the Mahers. Regardless he should have been left in at FF as the goal threat completely dwindled with his removal and he generally struggles in the HF line mobility wise.

Sets up the Clare match nicely now.

Footballers throw a 4 point lead away late in the Louth game to snatch a draw.
    Two misses by Armstrong from placed balls and another bad miss or two from others should have saw the game put to bed.
    Go and concede a goal then when 2 up in injury time and need a point to get a draw.

Sounds like one of the Eoins had a chance to hit the winner with 45secs left but decided to pass it back to O'Donnell who wasn't in a position to score.... just sums up the footballers, just totally lacking in any sort of tactical cuteness and decision making.

More annoyed with the footballers as I was waiting on the Galway double but my own fault for putting any trust in Mulhollands side as they've been a shambles for a while now.

The comeback was on well before Tannian got the red. He was always going to get the red it was just how physical he was playing.

Tan and Daithí were very good at HB. Tan's clearances were brutal in the 1st half but he got his act together and scored a super point. Coen was decent and scored a great point too. He wasn't as impactful in midfield as he was at corner back though.

Dave Burke was far better than he's shown at midfield. Brehony was as reliable as he usually is but Burke stood out. Also scored the best sideline cut I think I've ever seen in the Stadium. Conor Cooney is great around the middle and I'd love if the stuck him in midfield rather than Joe come Summer.

Healy and Glynn was unstoppable in the 1st half. Once Bergin came on he quietened things down a lot. Mannion was decent but McInerny wasn't as involved as he was down Nolan. Harte was quiet too.

Callanan made a great double save but his puckouts are less direct in comparison to Skehill. Ronan Burke wasn't really tested (See Kevin Hynes 2012) and Fergal Moore and Collins were good.

Noel McGrath wasn't at the races today. Niall Burke was excellent considering he hasn't played a lot. Lot of positives but the last 10 minutes were worrying.

Only heard Ollie Turner having a nervous breakdown at the Louth match and he was talking as if Hanley didn't play? Understandable if he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

We always draw with Louth in the league. It's like tradition.

I couldnt make it to the game, so i'm not going to comment as like most it'll only be Ollie Turners version of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Hard to know what to make of the hurlers, played some great stuff at times in the first half and the route one to Johnny Glynn paid dividends (it could have paid more dividends if we had someone closer to him for the knockdowns). 2nd half the game started to drift and that is always a dangerous thing as a goal can transform everything. In the last few minutes Galway were losing the battles all over the pitch and just about hung on. A draw would have been a disaster.

Tipp were woeful and while if they get their forward line functioning they still can put up a reasonable score, defensively they are a mess. The last two visits of Tipp to Pearse Stadium have seen woeful Galway performances and bad defeats so we'll take this one and its a rare win over Tipp in recent years.

Canning will be back next week for the visit to Clare who are flying. Apart from the two home league games Galway have been poor this season so lets hope they can put in a more competitive performance next week.

The footballers are beyond words, blowing a 4 point lead and then a 2 point lead in the closing minutes is unforgivable at this level. Division 3 beckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Division 3 beckons.

"IF"we were to get a win against armagh, might 5 pts keep us up?
    I really can't see us getting anything up in Clones

• Advertisement

We have a poor points difference so unless we got a very convincing win we'd still drop unless Laois get nothing from the remaining games.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Looks like well be swapping places with ye this year

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

That's nice!

Looks like well be swapping places with ye this year.

Looks like well be swapping places with ye this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

if there is any upside to relegation to division 3 next year the logistics might not be so bad should clare and tipperary get promoted from division 4 and sligo and limerick avoid the drop in 3

could make for a few good double headers but i doubt there are many in the galway football world at the moment rubbing there hands at the taught of any of them ties at the moment

In fairness boys it's taken ye way too long to get to Division 2 anyways but I can see us swapping alright.

In fairness boys it's taken ye way too long to get to Division 2 anyways but I can see us swapping alright.

Shut yer lip, D3 counties such as yourselves should address D2 royalty like Roscommon with more deference..

..I hear we'll be swapping places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

We have a poor points difference so unless we got a very convincing win we'd still drop unless Laois get nothing from the remaining games.

It comes down to head to head records and not points difference when teams are tied. So if Galway beat Armagh and ended up tied in the table Galway would stay up and Armagh go down. Can't see them beating Armagh anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Congrats to Portumna on another AI victory. In terms of quality perhaps the least of their victories, but it underlines their status as the best *team* to have played in this competition, captained by without any doubt the best player to have played in this competition since it's inception. A fitting swansong if he bows out now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement