Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Very comfortable win for Portumna in reality, the match was poor but Portumna never at any stage looked in any serious trouble. Haven't it in the legs anymore to burn off teams like they did to De La Salle a few years back but kept comfortably in control the whole way. Having been up there, must say it was among the most subdued celebrations I ever remember of an All-Ireland. The crowd was 90% MLR and only the Portumna crowd and a couple of hundred more travelled from Galway I'd say.

Club hurling All-Irelands are becoming almost a given for us without having any county All-Ireland to show for it (13 in total I make it and 12 since our last Inter County Senior All-Ireland). Fair play to Portumna, they've shown their class and character to come back with effectively the same team as from the first All-Ireland and silence their critics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

They were a long way ahead today. Ollie Canning is still one of the top players in Ireland.
    They still had the hunger for it and that's what won it for them I think,
    MLR just fell short on belief I think the day got to them, but I hope we will see them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

O.A.P wrote: »
    They were a long way ahead today. Ollie Canning is still one of the top players in Ireland.
    They still had the hunger for it and that's what won it for them I think,
    MLR just fell short on belief I think the day got to them, but I hope we will see them back.

Wouldn't agree with that. MLR gave it everything and you have to admire them for being a team with tremendous heart but they were simply beaten by a better team today, a team that had the kind of experienced match-winners that they didn't.

Portumna were always doing enough without ever being overly impressive, but they were never really threatened. For me, in the end MLR just didn't have the forwards to win it outright but they can certainly be proud of what they achieved in getting to an All-Ireland final against all the odds.

Agree about Ollie Canning btw, still a class hurler. He is one of those naturally gifted players who would excel in any position.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,329 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It comes down to head to head records and not points difference when teams are tied. So if Galway beat Armagh and ended up tied in the table Galway would stay up and Armagh go down. Can't see them beating Armagh anyway.

Would not surprise me if they did beat Armagh to be honest. It's at home, it's virtually a must win game and they beat Down who are probably on a par with or even a bit better than Armagh. I would not put a red cent on it though.

Cannot see them getting anything away to Monaghan on the last day but I'm not sure is there a chance that Monaghan could be promoted by then? Might mean they won't have their eye on the ball for the final league game but probably wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

MfMan wrote: »
    Congrats to Portumna on another AI victory. In terms of quality perhaps the least of their victories, but it underlines their status as the best *team* to have played in this competition, captained by without any doubt the best player to have played in this competition since it's inception. A fitting swansong if he bows out now.

Anybody know why the Carlow no. 7 got a straight red. I've replayed it about six times and can see absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

No that was bull**** from the ref, it was his worst call of the match and he had lots of bad ones IMO ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Anyone any idea how the U-21 footballers are going in challenges etc before their opener Saturday? I think I've found a price regarding that could be far too big

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Anyone any idea how the U-21 footballers are going in challenges etc before their opener Saturday? I think I've found a price regarding that could be far too big

You're best bet for online news about Minor/U21 is probably over on Hoganstand tbh.
    There's a lot of ill informed posters, but there's always a few die hards there who know the more lower key news in regards to those comps.

Challenges taken into account, it'll be hard to tell anything when you're dealing with a one year age group.
    Best to access who's still available from last season, examine the draw and take a pop.

As you know, it's Leitrim then most likely Roscommon.
    It's straight to a semi final then(I'm 99% on) so it's 3 big games after Saturday so with that in mind even the 9/1(ish) from the high street is a decent bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭24yearslater

Hulk Hands wrote: »

By all accounts Roscommon have a serious side this year - think they're 4/9 to win out Connacht, and are about 7/2 2nd favs to win the whole thing out behind Dublin. I know we won it out last year, but most of that team are overage, and we haven't exactly been pulling up trees at minor level in recent years. Tipp are 8s to win it out - they might be worth a flutter. They're backboned by their winning minor team from 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I had a look at hoganstand alright. It's the 21/10 Galway for Connacht im looking at. Granted by all accounts Roscommon were awesome the last day, but beating a Mayo side who played too many of last year's minors isn't enough to warrant the rossies going from 5/2 to 4/11 shots. Having a look at the Galway side, Shox, Mulryan, Burke and Walsh are there amongst others from last year. Midfield looks a worry. Still though, they're long odds on to get by Leitrim. I can't see Roscommon rolling into Salthill as 2/5 shots or shorter in a Connacht final.

• Advertisement

By all accounts Roscommon have a serious side this year - think they're 4/9 to win out Connacht, and are about 7/2 2nd favs to win the whole thing out behind Dublin. I know we won it out last year, but most of that team are overage

Most of last year's team are not overage. 10 or 11 of them are still U-21 this year. O'Curraoin, Flynn and Adrian Varley are the main ones missing.

Galway should have a very good team this year as well but replacing the two lads in midfield will be the big challenge. They were the engine behind two All-Ireland wins. Varley was very underrated and has looked good in his short spell with the seniors but at least there is decent cover up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

we haven't exactly been pulling up trees at minor level in recent years.

Galway are one team that doesn't have to pull up trees at minor level to win things at U21 level. For example Galway haven't won a Connacht minor title since 2007 (Also won the AI that year), yet two U-21 All Irelands have been won since then.

Galway should have a very good team this year as well but replacing the two lads in midfield will be the big challenge. They were the engine behind two All-Ireland wins. Varley was very underrated and has looked good in his short spell with the seniors but at least there is decent cover up front.

Didn't Damien Comer play in midfield for Galway last year and is still underage. The firepower is still there for at least another Connacht win and home final against most likely Roscommon is a big advantage to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Galway Bay FM Sports
    Galway U21 football manager Alan Flynn will announce his starting team for Saturday’s Connacht semi final against Leitrim in Carrick on Shannon after training tonight. Flynn has 7 of last year’s starting team that won the All Ireland title available for selection with injury doubts surrounding Shane Walsh and Damien Comer.

Two key players doubtful, i thought Galway had more than 7 from last year?

Galway Bay FM Sports

Two key players doubtful, i thought Galway had more than 7 from last year?

Pretty sure they have more than 7 from last year but maybe they are not counting lads that are unavailable for this weekend's game for whatever reason.

Galway (U21FC v Leitrim)

Rory Lavelle
    Liam Silke
    James Shaughnessy
    Eoghan Kerin
    Fiontan O'Cuanaigh
    John Hanbury
    Eoin Walsh
    Michael Day
    Enda Tierney
    Cathal Mulryan
    Sean Moran
    Damien Comer
    Shane Maughan
    Eamon Brannigan
    Ian Burke

Shane Walsh injured.

ConnachtTribuneGroup ‏@CTribune 16m

Injuries have forced Michael Meehan to step down from the senior football panel with immediate effect "for foreseeable future".

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭LowOdour

ConnachtTribuneGroup ‏@CTribune 16m

Injuries have forced Michael Meehan to step down from the senior football panel with immediate effect "for foreseeable future".

:(
    Just read about this...a real shame but not surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They guy has really gone above and beyond for this Galway side since his injury and there's far more important things in life than playing inter-county. Wish him nothing but the best.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

They guy has really gone above and beyond for this Galway side since his injury and there's far more important things in life than playing inter-county. Wish him nothing but the best.

Shocked to hear that. Loved watching his finishing and intelligence on the pitch. A true legend In my eyes and shame we didn't see more of him.
    Best of luck to him.
    A massive loss to the gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Poor guy never got a proper shot at it.

Would have loved to see him in the AI winning teams.

Second best forward behind Joyce in the modern era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Glad he has made the right decision for his own health. He was still the best player and one of very few leaders on the Galway side but his legs were gone and it was pure adrenalin that kept him going in the last few years. Its a damning indictment of Galway football and those around him that he never played on a Galway senior team which won a game in Croke Park. A couple of Connacht titles is poor reward for a player of his quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Good player but not surprised. In recent seasons he seemed to be either injured, playing with an injury or recovering from an injury.
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    Second best forward behind Joyce in the modern era.

Cmon, you either have a seriously short memory or you're having a laugh.

A couple of Connacht titles is poor reward for a player of his quality.

There's nothing wrong with Connacht titles, with the way things are going the current set of players might never see a Connacht title or even final for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Sounds like Meehan is taking extended break in the hope for one last try for county football. Still only 29 hopefully it works out for him.

Glad he has made the right decision for his own health. He was still the best player and one of very few leaders on the Galway side but his legs were gone and it was pure adrenalin that kept him going in the last few years. Its a damning indictment of Galway football and those around him that he never played on a Galway senior team which won a game in Croke Park. A couple of Connacht titles is poor reward for a player of his quality.

Fate is a a fickle mistress indeed. Meehan would have walked onto the Galway team that won 2 All-Ireland's. And they might have won one or two more if they had him. Instead he came along just as that great team was falling apart at the seams. And then he had his career from his mid-20's on ruined by injury.

I fear he will forever be underrated due to this but anyone who was lucky enough to see him in his early-20's and fully healthy will know that he was an unbelievable talent. Up there with the very best in the country.

Sounds like Meehan is taking extended break in the hope for one last try for county football. Still only 29 hopefully it works out for him.

Yeah it doesn't seem like he's totally given up on not playing again but such is his injury troubles I don't think people expect to see him back. He might even come out to clarify it himself because half the country has him in retirement. He might not see it like that himself just yet.

Well, official news says he is retired. He had ankle surgery in November.

FlashD wrote: »
    Well, official news says he is retired. He had ankle surgery in November.

The only official release from Galway GAA says he's leaving the panel for the foreseeable future. I don't think it mentions actual retirement.

RTE have him retiring for good but it doesn't say that in the press release. Seems like he's leaving the door open. For a while at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭LowOdour

FlashD wrote: »
    Cmon, you either have a seriously short memory or you're having a laugh.

I presume he was talking about Galway panel only...and he wouldn't be far wrong in terms of talent.

When you look at the week we have had with Brian O Driscoll ending his career in such a great way, to having such a talented young man like Meehan pretty much finished with the game at county level with a whimper is quite sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

LowOdour wrote: »
    I presume he was talking about Galway panel only...and he wouldn't be far wrong in terms of talent.

When you look at the week we have had with Brian O Driscoll ending his career in such a great way, to having such a talented young man like Meehan pretty much finished with the game at county level with a whimper is quite sad

He's last act was that goal against cork hardly a whimper! I get your point though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement