Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Novella wrote: »
    Essence-Nail-Polish-Remover-nail-hardening.jpg

Rubbish. To be blunt about it!

I picked this up 'cause it was at the till in Penneys and seeing it reminded me that I was almost out of nail varnish remover. This is so crap though. And the smell, oh god, the smell. Yeah, I hate it. Cheap, but I'd rather splash the extra euro or two for Cutex.

Ah sorry you got a crappy product, we've all been there!

I picked this up and it's great and so quick and easy, got it in Boots!

70134163.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Novella wrote: »
    Essence-Nail-Polish-Remover-nail-hardening.jpg

Rubbish. To be blunt about it!

I picked this up 'cause it was at the till in Penneys and seeing it reminded me that I was almost out of nail varnish remover. This is so crap though. And the smell, oh god, the smell. Yeah, I hate it. Cheap, but I'd rather splash the extra euro or two for Cutex.
    I got that, it's horrid, doesn't seem to wash of so you can't get the smell away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

SmokeyEyes wrote: »

70134163.jpg

+1 I have this, it's brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

SmokeyEyes wrote: »

Now there's a blast from the past! I used to use that years ago, I thought it had disappeared!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I recently bought this:

primer3.png

It's lovely, makes my skin so smooth and matte. My nose and chin tend to get a little shiny sometimes so it's is great for that.

The only problem is that I was hoping to be able to use it on my eyelids as well so that some of my not so pigmented eyeshadows would stick a bit longer, but no. First it makes applying eyeshadow really hard and I'll just end up with a brush covered in primer. The eyeshadow doesn't spread as well as without the primer, and gets all lumpy after a while. But otherwise it's great. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

mcmacness wrote: »
    Just had a visit from my Mom there, she's 47 in April. Her skin looked fantastic, alot of the wrinkles around her eyes are gone. I asked her what she's using. Apparently Clarins Beauty Flash Balm- it actually made her look five years younger. So payday on Friday, I know whats gonna be the first new edition to my makeup box! :)

I like Clarins Beauty Flash Balm - the effect tends to be cumulative with it I find rather than a dramatic difference.

I found the Essence Nail varnish remover does the job - I grabbed a bottle at the till in Penneys.

But the smell is so vile. Petrol and acetone and rotten fruit and it lingers and lingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Taelated

Sleek+Pout+Paint+Minx.JPG

I got this at the weekend in Superdrug while I was in the UK. The pigmentation is just brilliant, smells good and the colours they have are unreal!! I got it for £4.99..I don't know if you can get this in Ireland? I definitely want to get more colours!

Please note that the picture is taken from a blog and not mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Would also love to know if Sleek is available anywhere in Ireland. Seem to have great products. Especially their palettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

The essence polish remover just reminded of this...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4ldSHjN4FG6Vq--7yfbKaItXhFG77PA-Tt_Sai8GQ7mIZNC5c

Got these in pennys. I know there's other ones that come with mainicure sets but god they're brilliant! Should have started using these years ago. They were only a euro or so too.

Also just ran out of eye makeup remover. Had been using the simple on and even though it was hurting my eyes I used it all up (just to get every penny's worth!). Started using a sample of the no7 one and it's brill. No stingyness, one swipe and everythings gone. Will definitely be getting the full size with my next no7 voucher.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmSMn9pjMrNl_fbTDoGq5e6AoDDRsEL8Fwuyd7ZXC2_-fe0G35_g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Panda Lover

My recent purchases are:

Chanel Pro Lumiere foundation. Bought it in BT's the other day (44 eur). They're giving away a little sample of it at the minute. I'm delighted with it. I used to use MAC Studio Fix NC20 and found it looked very full coverage. I've also used the MAC Face and Body foundation which is more like a tinted moisturer. So this time I wanted good coverage that didn't look too caked on but with good staying power. That is exactly what this is :D I'm delighted with it, it has a lovely matte finish and lasts all day. Very natural looking.

I'm also the proud owner of the Chanel Bronzer - Soleil Tan de Chanel Universal. It's fantastic. It goes on very naturally and you can build it up. I have found with a lot of bronzers in the past that you put them on and it's VERY obvious where you've swept your brush but this is so natural. It looks fantastic on bare skin and also sits lovely over foundation. It's very hard to find but I bought this yesterday in Debenhams on Henry Street and they'd a good stock of it. Apparently it's a cult product and whenever it goes into the shops it sells out really quick (supposedly Chanel have a production problem with it) but I'm delighted with it. Cost 38 eur.

I'll be investing in one of those Collection 2000 concealers next.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent light pink/nudey coloured lipstick for the day time?

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Had a little splurge in Boots today! Got Barry M stuff (new to this brand) and spent 9 euro so got a free lipgloss.
    This is the nail varnish - in Raspberry
    480fae250867006f7cf562c54838744b_185167_lrg.jpg

Got Maybelline Dream Nude Airfoam foundation in Light Beige, which I hope is the right one! It's the lightest anyway
    Also got Collection 2000 concealer in Fair - after all the rave reviews on here :)

Picked up a shaving gel; "Queen of Ta-da!" in Pina Colada scent - it was nicer than the coconut anyway... good review of this on www.beaut.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

Had a little splurge in Boots today! Got Barry M stuff (new to this brand) and spent 9 euro so got a free lipgloss.
    This is the nail varnish - in Raspberry
    480fae250867006f7cf562c54838744b_185167_lrg.jpg

Got Maybelline Dream Nude Airfoam foundation in Light Beige, which I hope is the right one! It's the lightest anyway
    Also got Collection 2000 concealer in Fair - after all the rave reviews on here :)

Picked up a shaving gel; "Queen of Ta-da!" in Pina Colada scent - it was nicer than the coconut anyway... good review of this on www.beaut.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Oh i love love love that nail varnish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Did you try it out in shop?
    I did and it nearly exploded on me

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

I got They're Real mascara in October and I did love it but it dried up so fast, in nearly two months it was impossible to use. I found that with Benefits Bad Gal mascara too so maybe its a common trait among Benefit mascaras.

Me too - very dissappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

booboo88 wrote: »
    Did you try it out in shop?
    I did and it nearly exploded on me

Same thing happened to me, ended up rubbing it in all along my arm and slinking away quietly, hoping no-one had noticed:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

jokettle wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me, ended up rubbing it in all along my arm and slinking away quietly, hoping no-one had noticed:o

Unfortunately it was too noticeable, it didn't really help i couldn't hold in the laughter.:D

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent light pink/nudey coloured lipstick for the day time?

Cheers :)

I got this one from Revlon - Pink in the afternoon and it's a lovely colour. It's not nude but it matches the colour of my lip if that makes sense. I find nude colours make my lips too white. the swatch (from kirkichi blog) is the one on top.

img_0728.jpg?w=540&h=405

Revlon lip butters are coming out in the next few months, may also be worth a try.

http://www.amarixe.com/2011/11/revlon-lip-butters-swatches-review.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

2gvocbt.jpg
    Got this wet n wild palette from ebay - love the colours. The pigmentation looks good too. Think it cost about 11e delivered.

ams wrote: »
    2gvocbt.jpg
    Got this wet n wild palette from ebay - love the colours. The pigmentation looks good too. Think it cost about 11e delivered.
    Those palettes are gorgeous looking. Defo going on ebay now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Ams - great palette. Colours are very useful - ALL of them, unlike some others!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Got Mac in Teddy today as a little treat to myself!

mac-eye-kohl-teddy.jpg

IMG_3810.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

For anyone in Mullingar, Wood's Chemist on Dominick Street have some M.A.C eye shadows in the window, there was a price tag of €17.50 on one of the shadows.

I don't know if they have other M.A.C items in stock as it was closed when I was passing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

TBH I wouldn't take the risk of buying Mac anywhere other than BT's unless you can confirm that they are a registered stockist.

ams wrote: »
    TBH I wouldn't take the risk of buying Mac anywhere other than BT's unless you can confirm that they are a registered stockist.
    Surely they would have to be registered stockist to sell M.A.C?

It's a bricks and mortar, not a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Surely they would have to be registered stockist to sell M.A.C?

It's a bricks and mortar, not a website.

They still could have bought fakes on eBay and are selling them as real, as an example. I'm not saying that's what they did - but it's a definite possibility.

Edited: Nowhere in Mullingar is listed as an official MAC stockist, so I'd steer clear too.

They still could have bought fakes on eBay and are selling them as real, as an example. I'm not saying that's what they did - but it's a definite possibility.

Edited: Nowhere in Mullingar is listed as an official MAC stockist, so I'd steer clear too.
    Thanks for the info.

The sign on the window was just said "M.A.C stockist" (or something similar) printed on a normal white A4 sheet.

Where can you check if they are an official stockist?

Thanks for the info.

The sign on the window was just said "M.A.C stockist" (or something similar) printed on a normal white A4 sheet.

Where can you check if they are an official stockist?

Not at all, you're more than welcome. If you go to the official MAC website: http://www.maccosmetics.com/locator/index.tmpl you can search for all stockists in Ireland that way.

Not at all, you're more than welcome. If you go to the official MAC website: http://www.maccosmetics.com/locator/index.tmpl you can search for all stockists in Ireland that way.
    Thank you.

Now I'm wondering if the shadows are fake. :(

• Advertisement

Thank you.

Now I'm wondering if the shadows are fake. :(

Ahhh, they might not be :) They might well be genuine. And if they weren't, you'd be far from the first (and last) to think they were! There's loads of guides on the internet to fake MAC make up, here are two:

http://reviews.ebay.com/MAC-PIGMENTS-HOW-TO-SPOT-FAKES-by-EXPERIENCED-SELLER?ugid=10000000002016410

http://accidentalbeauty.com/makeup/how-to-spot-fake-mac-cosmetics/

I think there are Youtube videos too...I know eBay sell a huge amound (or used to) of fake MAC make up. It seems to be the most popular fake, for some reason.

Advertisement