Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

puder.jpg?1291366683
    screen-shot-2011-08-18-at-16-35-11.png?w=305
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRuNlofJqWOwxM6zMcHc1UVUWOAZ5ykZnBMXSg3wKdGwg7pAUUn1A

It might not be pay day till tomorrow but I can still afford these little bits.

The bronzer is really nice.It's matt so I don't look as though i've stuck my face into a tub of bronze paint like I do with other bronzers.It's really soft and it's pale enough that I cant use it on my forehead etc without looking dirty.I'd definitely buy it again.

The lipgloss seems ok so far.It's not sticky and is really shiny.I'm not a huge fan of the applicator because i prefer the doe foot or little brush ones but I'll use it.I'm just delighted that it isnt getting my hair stuck in it every five minutes.Theres no real taste off it but there is a mild fruity/plasticy smell.

Haven't used the nail varnish yet but if its like the rest of that range it'll be grand.I'm wearing it tonight I'm just hoping that it'll have ok coverage with two coats because any more than that and I give up.

None of the pictures are mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Picked up some of the penney's false lashes for 1.50 a pair reviewed by a blogger here:

http://missdollygal.blogspot.com/2012/01/primark-false-lashes.html

They look nice and fluttery - I won't be using the glue I got with them. I find the fake girls aloud ones they sell to be too heavy and long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I was gonna get the real techniques core collection for the buffing brush. Thought it was a bit dear considering I wouldn't really use the other 3. Saw the ecotools bronzer brush and got that instead. It's really dense and huge so it applies liquid foundation really quickly. I stipple with it first and then buff foundation in. Would also be good for powder or bronzer, especially down the neck and chest.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMy7DPM6V2EoV4c0HbVjMzQiIPc0QQMgelAf4T6C-11WrsbWHjNQ

Also got this essence stay all day shadow in glammy goes to. Love it!! Does not budge! I got it as a base for ud naked palette, especially sidecar. Think it's a good colour match for that but not as glittery. Images not mine.

http://www.essence.eu/products/eyes/eyeshadows.html

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭aristocat

Two really successful budget beauty buys recently have been: (1) Lipstick by 17 Supreme Shine Lipstick in Bon Bon and (2) Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation in Classic Beige. The lipstick is very soft and moisturizing and lasts surprisingly long, the best bit being that it is less than 7 Euro. The foundation is very light and the blurb says it is 'anti-fatigue effect + radiant glow'. Definitely illuminates the skin and has an SPF 15. Two products in the budget range that are as good, if not better than, more high-end brands. Will definitely be re purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

aristocat wrote: »
    2) Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundation in Classic Beige.
    rimmellondonwakemeupfou.jpg
    +1 I also bought this during the week (on special in Boots for €6.99) and was pleasantly surprised. Ive never been a fan of Rimmel foundations as i always find them too greasy. This gives medium coverage and lasts quite well. I wore it wed-fri this week in work and it still looked decent after 8hrs. 7/10 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

anniehoo wrote: »
    rimmellondonwakemeupfou.jpg
    +1 I also bought this during the week (on special in Boots for €6.99) and was pleasantly surprised. Ive never been a fan of Rimmel foundations as i always find them too greasy. This gives medium coverage and lasts quite well. I wore it wed-fri this week in work and it still looked decent after 8hrs. 7/10 for me.

Looked at this in Boots recently... is it not really glittery on your skin?

anniehoo wrote: »

Just out of interest, what did you knock points off for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Looked at this in Boots recently... is it not really glittery on your skin?
    Nope not glittery at all. It does illuminate a bit but i wouldnt be bowled over by it, it has a slightly oily consistency which i find with a lot of cheap foundations.
    kandr10 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, what did you knock points off for?
    Mainly the consistency,its a tad greasy,just a tad and i had to apply more than i usually would with foundation to get the coverage i like. Its a decent middle of the road everyday foundation though, its just not giving me the "wow" factor :D Definitely not bad, but not anywhere near in the league of Royal Effem (my fav brand at the minute) for example. Its worth trying alright.

Thanks! That's fair enough. Seems like it's good for the price but not spectacular. I'll have a look next time I'm in boots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Not an actual purchase but I had my make up done at BareMinerals at Brown Thomas yesterday. It's free as part of their beauty event and I got a goody bag with a half size mascara and mineral foundation sample in a cute pot with a mini brush. I didn't buy anything but I might go back for something when I can afford to. My make up looked lovely, much better than I was expecting and I enjoyed it so highly recommend if you have time for an appointment.

• Advertisement

sunnyside wrote: »
    Not an actual purchase but I had my make up done at BareMinerals at Brown Thomas yesterday. It's free as part of their beauty event and I got a goody bag with a half size mascara and mineral foundation sample in a cute pot with a mini brush. I didn't buy anything but I might go back for something when I can afford to. My make up looked lovely, much better than I was expecting and I enjoyed it so highly recommend if you have time for an appointment.

Always nice to get a freebie :) I always wondered about the mineral foundation but was too scared to try it (always just stick to liquid). Never tried any sort of powder foundation. Does it give good coverage?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I got Mac Angel today. A nice pinky neutral. Less pink then Creme Cup though, my last one. I found Creme Cup hard to wear with a bare/light make up face as there was too much colour. Hopefully this one will be a bit better!

mac_angel001.jpg

TWEE That colour looks absolutely gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Novella wrote: »
    Rubbish. To be blunt about it!

I picked this up 'cause it was at the till in Penneys and seeing it reminded me that I was almost out of nail varnish remover. This is so crap though. And the smell, oh god, the smell. Yeah, I hate it. Cheap, but I'd rather splash the extra euro or two for Cutex.

I got the coconut fragranced one because it was only 99c and found it brilliant! Took off the polish no problem and I loved the smell, so much nicer than acetone! :) Maybe the pink ones are a bit ropey?! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

My budget face wash, face feels so clean afterwards and it dissolved mascara also :eek:

Vichy Essentielles facewash for only €4.95 ! Purchased as a last minute cheap option, I am loving it... I actually had the shower gel in this range too. It's fabulous. Hickeys Pharmacy are doing the Shower Gel and Body Lotion combo for €12 at the mo for Mother's Day... yum!

vichy-essentielles-kremowa-pianka-do-demakijazu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

I'm lucky enough to get foundations to review but nothing is in the right shade for my pale skin so I invested in this today, love the palest colour and the consistency, not drying at all! Can't wait to try it out properly!:D

TM-GB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

I ordered the Sigma Cleansing and Polishing Tool off their website last Wednesday and it has arrived already! I have to say I am really impressed with thier customer service, they were so helpful when I was asking about delivery charges etc (think it cost 14euro for normal delivery). They had said it would take up to 8weeks, but the fact it arrived in less than a week is great!

Its supposed to be the cheaper version of the clarisonic for cleansing and smoothing your face but it also comes with a firm brush head that can be used on your body. The clarisonic costs about £120 but in total the Sigma version cost less than 50euro. I bought it based on misbudgetbeautys recommendation via her blog, she preferred it over the clarisonic! Can't wait to get home and try it!

They also sent me a complementary E25 blending brush, which feels so soft!

http://www.sigmabeauty.com/Cleansing_and_Polishing_Tool_p/cpt01.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

Elf are very cheap so you get what you pay for, Sigma brushes are brilliant the have a lot of Mac dupes plus your buying in dollars so the exchange rate is on your side

http://www.sigmabeauty.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    I'm lucky enough to get foundations to review but nothing is in the right shade for my pale skin so I invested in this today, love the palest colour and the consistency, not drying at all! Can't wait to try it out properly!:D

I've been using this for the last year or so, and I really like it. It's just the tiniest bit too yellow for my pale skin, but it's light with good coverage.

dudara wrote: »
    I've been using this for the last year or so, and I really like it. It's just the tiniest bit too yellow for my pale skin, but it's light with good coverage.

I must have a look at it in the morning the thing that drew me to it was how lovely and pinky pale it is!:)

Loved it on today though!

• Advertisement

I bought Vichy Purete Thermale 3 in 1 Micellar Solution today 14.75 Euro. This is a cleansing water which has a balance between fine particles of oil (emulsifiers) and water. The oil is not visible but it cleanses make up thoroughly without rubbing or use of astringents. It is suitable for all skin types including sensitive. This particular one is an alternative to the better known Bioderma which is only available in France or online. The product claims to cleanse, remove make-up and soothe the skin.

I have used it once this evening and I can honestly say my skin feels very 'calm'. I don't have particularly sensitive skin, but I thought I would try this as the micellar water is much talked about on beauty blogs. The Bioderma seems to be the cult product, but 'A model Recommends' on YouTube did some product testing and in her opinion the Vichy and Roc, plus some others, were equally as good. On balance she would choose the Vichy.

Having looked up micellar on Google, it is generally recommended for use as a make up remover, which doesn't need toner afterwards. The general concensus is to also use a cleanser if you wear heavy make up, or use cleanser and use the micellar water as a toner. I will report back in a couple of weeks when I have used it for a bit longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

Got there in the post today from CLOUD10, ordered on Friday after 6 so impressed with the delivery time for Ireland!

First I got this, liking it a lot so far, a lot smaller than I thought it would be though
    realtechniquestip1.jpg

For this pallette, it's got a good range of shades to do night time and day time I think, handy for a weekend away
    sleek-s2.jpg

And finally this blush which I really love, got it in Rose gold, had flamingo before and didnt get on with it, so happy with this one

sleek-blush-rose-gold-01.jpg

Has anyone see the new Sleek blush by 3 pallets in superdrug here?
    http://www.musingsofamuse.com/2012/02/sleek-blush-by-3.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭alainnbeauty

ohh really want them sleek blush by 3 , iv never seen sleek in superdrug in ireland could be wrong doe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Gingernut, superdrug irl don't stock sleek.

Have the Rose gold too, LOVE it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 coffeeandshoes

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

beautyemporium.ie sell sleek stuff, i got one of the pout paints before, v similar to occ's lip tar, love it a little goes a long way, only about 6 shades tho compared to occ's 20-something colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dcfc

Just got the UD naked 2 pallette. Cant wait to try it out!

Bought Bourjois Coup de Theatre mascara, used to love this years ago so decided to give it another try!

bourjois-mascara.jpg

Also tried out the new Rimmel Wake Me Up Foundations review wise, wasn't light enough for me but really lovely foundations, would recommend them! Here's my swatches if anyone wants to see

rimm-004.jpg?w=300&h=225

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

+1 on Rimmel's new Wake Me Up foundation. I found it brilliant! I find it hard to find a nice foundation to suit my skin but that did a great job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

Got there in the post today from CLOUD10, ordered on Friday after 6 so impressed with the delivery time for Ireland!

For this pallette, it's got a good range of shades to do night time and day time I think, handy for a weekend away
    sleek-s2.jpg

Love the shades in this, is it Sleek?

Advertisement