Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I totally got suckered into using a Boot No. 7 voucher. Bought a red lip crayon and an everyday moisturiser. And got another voucher when I bought them! Is there a No. 7 primer? Or any recommendations for the range? I wouldn't mind a new blusher.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

lazygal wrote: »
    I totally got suckered into using a Boot No. 7 voucher. Bought a red lip crayon and an everyday moisturiser. And got another voucher when I bought them! Is there a No. 7 primer? Or any recommendations for the range? I wouldn't mind a new blusher.
    Their bath and body range are really great, especially the dry oil spray. Its obviously an oil but once its soaked in its not greasy or sticky, doesn't smell, doesn't stain your clothes etc.

I don't rate their blushers. I had two, one is supposed to be a neutral colour buts comes off very orange on me (I use NW20 in MAC, 53 in Bourjois & warm ivory in No7 for reference) and ended up giving it to my mum who uses honey beige (I think) in Elizabth Arden, and she uses it as a bronzer. Its very dark and orange on pale skin tones. I had a pink one that ended up in the bin, zero pigmentation on the brush or skin and in the pan when I swirled a brush in it, it just turned into a loose powder almost and didn't show up on the skin.

Their mascaras and foundations are great, I love them. Nail polishes are good too.

I used their Airbrush Away Primer which was fine. Expensive at €25, its not amazing but its nice.

Their mattifying primer is horrendous, absolutely awful stuff. It hardens almost on the skin and nothing, no foundation or concealer goes on well over it, they will cake up and apply patchy and unevenly.

The primer applied on its own with nothing over it, will start to turn into little balls (like pilling on clothing) a while after being applied.

Not too keen on their lipsticks or glosses or liner. The eye liners aren't great either. The shadows are nice though.

I'll try a foundation I think. I'm coming to the end of urban decay so time for a new one.

Forgot about these few bits.

Max Factor lipsgloss in Captivating Ruby - very sticky, and very sheer, also has a sweet scent. Its alright but I wouldn't rush out to get another. I just hate sticky glosses and sweet scented things.

Photo from Blush Affair

dmsojm.jpg

Max Factor False Lash Effect. Love this, its perfect for daytime, gives great definition, not much length or volume, love it though. I like it layered with Maybelline colossal for some volume, don't like colossal on its own though.

1137352.JPG

Barry M Clear Mascara & Eyebrow Define - got this in Dealz. Have yet to try it. Usually use Natural Collection clear mascara so I'm interested to see how this turns out.

barry%20m%20clearmascara%20_%20eyebrow%20definer%20MAS%204.JPG

Got a few blank canvas brushes too, loving those brushes. Absolutely wonderful brushes for next to nothing. Really can't beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

lazygal wrote: »
    ... and lanolin saved my nipples no matter what it's made from.

Love this post! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bedlamaticable

Couldn't stop myself from throwing this in basket of my asos order today. I've heard it's great for blue eyes.

Nars Isolde Eyeshadow Duo
    vI9w3f.jpg

TPCqvW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

I got an order from Makeup Revolution last week. My first ever.

I got two Salvation Velvet Lip Lacquers in Depravity (very bright cool toned purple) and Keep Lying For You (deep warm-toned purple): these are super drying on the lips, but I adore the colours so I don't care too much. I have been wanting a colour like Depravity forever.

Got the lipstick in Depraved (bright cool-toned purple): a bit disappointed in this, it's quite patchy. Okay I know it's amazing quality for something costing £1, but still I was expecting more. MUA's lipsticks are also £1 and they're a lot more pigmented. It takes a lot of work to get this opaque. I also don't have a lip pencil/eye pencil in a similar shade (my purples are all too warm-toned). But I'll put up with it for the beautiful colour.

Makeup Geek palette: (this was a gift with purchase because of them reaching 200k followers on facebook or something) LOVE this. Shadows are all nicely pigmented, and there's loads of great colours. I haven't worn this on the eyes long enough to know about wear time though. I wouldn't have picked this palette out for myself as my bold colours usually go on my lips as opposed to eyes, but this is a beautiful palette.

I Heart Chocolate palette: This is very hard to open as the top is so heavy, so I've discovered that opening it from the bottom is the easiest way to go about it. Eyeshadows are as lovely as in the Makeup Geek palette. I especially like the highlight shades.

Ultra Brow Arch and Shape: Really like this, the pencil side is nice and thin but gives definition to the brows. Marker side is good for natural looking brows.

All in all I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Just a reminder of our charter and the point of this thread folks!

Please don't quote images, it's a real pain on mobile/tablet or slow connections. When you quote a post just delete the image link.

This thread is for latest purchases and reviews. If you would like a recommendation or tips, please start a new thread. It stops mega threads getting derailed and encourages more discussion if moved to a separate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Candie wrote: »
    I can never get past what lanolin actually is - grease extracted from animal hair, usually sheep wool (hydrous wool fat). It's also one of the most allergenic substances included in cosmetics, so if someone has very sensitive skin, a patch test might be wise.

It is effectively sheep sebum.

Mmm, sheep sebum.

It saved my nips when feeding though. And sorted my youngest's excema.
    And im all for using every part of the animal 😀

Love my new No 7 lip crayon. It's a nice natural looking red and so far quite moisturizing. A bargain when I used the money off voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭fifi28

Love reading and seeing all the recent buys - my wallet doesnt like it so much lol

Some of my recent buys

Mac lippies (might have formed a little addiction ;-)) - Patisserie, Hug Me, Viva Glam V, all are very similiar nude shades but I know they are different lol ;-), all mlbb shades

I also bought Syrup which is more pinky - I would love to wear more bolder lip colours but I just cant seem to find a shade I like on me and keep going back to the nude shades! Syrup is a pinkier nude and so far my perfect in-between shade!
    All above lipsticks are lustre formulation so not heavy on the lips but buildable

Another Mac buy was Viva Glam V and Vi lipglass - love my glosses

Took a trip to superdrug in the square after seeing pics on fb of their Makeup Revolution stand - Ive bought stuff from them online but prefer being able to actually see/touch before buying so was delighted to see they had got a new stand.
    I picked up 3 eye palettes - Flawless, Beyond Flawless and Flawless matte! If anyone is in doubt these are brilliant palettes with brilliant pigment and staying power - I already have the I heart chocolate and death by chocolate and was delighted to find these palettes every bit as good! Honestly as good as my naked palettes in terms of colour payoff, blending etc etc

So now Im broke and on a ban - hmmmm lets see how long that lasts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Re the Blank Canvas brushes. Are they as good as the Sigma/Mac ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I'm still trying to get the clumps of St.Tropez in Shower off my feet. I look like I've got vitiligo. So glad I didn't opt for the 3 for 2 on it.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Re the Blank Canvas brushes. Are they as good as the Sigma/Mac ones?
    I personally think they are. I've never used Sigma so can't compare but I do think the BC brushes are very comparable to the MAC ones.

The only difference that I can tell is that the mac ones are very slightly softer but after washing the bank canvas ones (with baby shampoo) they turn out just as soft as the MAC ones but before washing (and just used straight from the packet) they are just a smidgen less soft than MAC.

This girl here uses them (think she is the brand ambassador) and has a discount code for them in the description of her videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMakeupChair

If I want to get a new brush from them I just look at some videos from her so I can get a decent look at the brush and get a bit of a feel for it before rushing out and purchasing it. :)

Just checked her out. She's really good. Has she got tan on or is her face that usually that much lighter than her body?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I've bought the new Mac Pro Longwear Waterproof foundation. The reviews look good and I'm in dire need of a foundation that I can wear on a night out which stays put and doesn't flash back in photos. I've used Revlon Colorstay for years and I love it, but it has a white cast in photographs and can be drying sometimes since my skin is not as oily as it was in my teenage years.

I have the Inglot HD Coverup foundation and while I loved it initially, it really doesn't last long enough and the finish really disintegrates as the day/night goes on. Doesn't stay matte. Such a pity as it looks gorgeous initially!

Just put in an order for the Blank Canvas Small Sculpt Brush on cloud 10 beauty. This thread is bad for my wallet! Obviously I had to get something else in order to get free shipping, so got one of the Sleek Lip x 4 palettes too, in Mardi Gras. My quest for the perfect purple lipstick continues.

Taboola wrote: »
    Just checked her out. She's really good. Has she got tan on or is her face that usually that much lighter than her body?
    Pretty sure she wears tan. But even without tan she is quite sallow I think anyway. :)
    Just put in an order for the Blank Canvas Small Sculpt Brush on cloud 10 beauty. This thread is bad for my wallet! Obviously I had to get something else in order to get free shipping, so got one of the Sleek Lip x 4 palettes too, in Mardi Gras. My quest for the perfect purple lipstick continues.
    Any chance you'd let me know what that brush is like when you get it? I want to get a contour brush like that but I always back out of it lol :o

I have the E24, E25, E26, E32, E10 and F18. Absolutely love them, esp the E10 for blending under the eye, and precision into the crease of my eye too.

Dying to try a few more face brushes from them too. Also want to try Zoeva brushes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Dying to try a few more face brushes from them too. Also want to try Zoeva brushes.

I have a couple of the Zoeva brushes and I really like them. The Silk Finish Brush is a lovely foundation brush and I really like the Luxe Classic Shader and Soft Definer eyeshadow brushes. I think the soft definer is a dupe for the MAC 217.

I'm really disappointed, I bought the Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentré and it broke me out! It's like my skin rejects anything that isn't La Roche-Posay. Also, I've had the Anastasia Brow Wiz for just 3 weeks and the last bit of the pencil broke off this morning. €19 is too expensive for something that doesn't last a month.

I love the brow wiz pens but they never last me longer than a month. I bought the Anastasia brow powder set and a brow primer but I'm not super impressed with it, its too fiddly for me. But I think if I had a better brush it would be easier to use. I'm going to check out the brushes mentioned here. I have a eco something set from Boots and some Sephora ones for a long time, and one Bobby Brown foundation brush I love. I had a really bad experience with MAC brushes so cheaper options are welcome.

• Advertisement

Should hopefully be getting it tomorrow morning (love how quick delivery from Cloud10 usually is) so I will let you know StripedBoxers!

I can't believe that the Anastasia Brow Wiz only lasted a month - that is ridiculous! I always wonder about products like that that beauty gurus seem to rave about. They all seem to get sent so much stuff that I imagine some of the reviews don't tend to be as truthful as they could be. For example, I've read a good few tweets from people and stuff on Reddit saying the Anastasia contour palette is quite chalky and difficult to blend, yet everytime you see it mentioned on youtube, it's called amazing.

Anyways, back on topic. A few weeks ago I bought three of the NYC Expert Last Matte Lipsticks in Creamy Mauve (muted cool toned pink), Red Suede (deep red) and Velvety Fuchsia (bright warm toned fuschia pink). They are totally not matte lipsticks, more like a satin finish. Must be a marketing gimmick to label them as matte, but whatever. They are SO comfortable on the lips though. I'd definitely recommend them, especially as they're so cheap (€2.49 IIRC). Not the longest lasting, but I don't mind reapplying lipstick too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I bought an Anastasia Brow Wiz at the very end of November and only replaced it with a new one two weeks ago. I suppose I do have quite dark brows naturally so I only really enhance them, as opposed to having a lot of filling to do but omg, one month seems crazy to me!

Yeh I only got about one month out of mine as well. I bought dip brow and I've had that nearly 2 months and it's half gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I can't believe that the Anastasia Brow Wiz only lasted a month - that is ridiculous! I always wonder about products like that that beauty gurus seem to rave about. They all seem to get sent so much stuff that I imagine some of the reviews don't tend to be as truthful as they could be. For example, I've read a good few tweets from people and stuff on Reddit saying the Anastasia contour palette is quite chalky and difficult to blend, yet everytime you see it mentioned on youtube, it's called amazing.

Yeah I was pretty disappointed considering the hype around it. It's a lovely product to use when you have it, but I won't be replacing it every 3-4 weeks when a brow pencil from Rimmel does the same job.

The DipBrow Pomade is great though, I think I'll repurchase that soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I had the Anastasia Brow Wiz aswell and it was gone in no time, so I'm glad to see others have had the same experience. It's ridiculous for the amount of hype it gets.

I picked up the L'oreal brow genius last weekend and I'm really liking it. It's along the same lines as the Benefit Browzings with the wax and powder but it's a much better colour match for me. It comes with a little brush that I don't use, but there's a handy mini spoolie also. So I'm well impressed.

10191020?id=BMEa72&fmt=jpg&fit=constrain,1&wid=504&hei=548

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

I got an order from Makeup Revolution last week. My first ever.

I got two Salvation Velvet Lip Lacquers in Depravity (very bright cool toned purple) and Keep Lying For You (deep warm-toned purple): these are super drying on the lips, but I adore the colours so I don't care too much. I have been wanting a colour like Depravity forever.

Got the lipstick in Depraved (bright cool-toned purple): a bit disappointed in this, it's quite patchy. Okay I know it's amazing quality for something costing £1, but still I was expecting more. MUA's lipsticks are also £1 and they're a lot more pigmented. It takes a lot of work to get this opaque. I also don't have a lip pencil/eye pencil in a similar shade (my purples are all too warm-toned). But I'll put up with it for the beautiful colour.

Makeup Geek palette: (this was a gift with purchase because of them reaching 200k followers on facebook or something) LOVE this. Shadows are all nicely pigmented, and there's loads of great colours. I haven't worn this on the eyes long enough to know about wear time though. I wouldn't have picked this palette out for myself as my bold colours usually go on my lips as opposed to eyes, but this is a beautiful palette.

I Heart Chocolate palette: This is very hard to open as the top is so heavy, so I've discovered that opening it from the bottom is the easiest way to go about it. Eyeshadows are as lovely as in the Makeup Geek palette. I especially like the highlight shades.

Ultra Brow Arch and Shape: Really like this, the pencil side is nice and thin but gives definition to the brows. Marker side is good for natural looking brows.

All in all I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

Lol, I have been telling you guys how good Makeup Revolution is for months now!!!:P

They have now introduced a new 'professional' brand called Freedom Makeup.

It's primarily aimed at Makeup Artists, etc. but is, of course, perfect for us addicts too!!!

I got an order yesterday which included 9 mono shadows & a Decadence palette.

They are absolutely amazeballs!!!

http://www.freedommakeuplondon.com/makeup/eyes/mono-eyeshadow.html

http://www.freedommakeuplondon.com/catalog/product/view/id/1089/

The quality is outstanding in both the mono shadows & the palette.

I am thrilled with them. :D

Definitely even better than MUR & equally as cheap!!! :eek:

There is a discount code for first time orders giving 20% off making an order even better value!!!

BEFREETOMAKEUP

This expires on June 30th at midnight!

Sssssshhhhhh don't tell anyone I told you!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Worried247

Anyone try out the Inglot 36BJF makeup brush yet? Dying to try it but I honestly can't justify spending €55 on it if it turns out to be bad:(

Forgot about these few bits.

Two MUFE primers, had a voucher to use so picked up these.

Make up Forever Smoothing Primer - its alright, not great, doesn't do much at smoothing or anything tbh. Has anyone here used it, any recommendations/tips for it? Kinda regretting it.

057.jpg?w=645

Make up Forever Mattifying Primer - this stuff really mattifies. My favourite way to use it is to put a tiny bit on the back of my hand, spread it out with my fingers and get a stippling brush (or my foundation brush) and dab it over my foundation/powder etc and it will set your face. Make up will not budge all day, it won't go anywhere.

28swuwi.jpg

Rimmel scandaleyes black kohl waterproof

Rimmel_ScandalEyesWaterproofKohlKajal_-4.jpg

Rimmel mauve shimmer lip liner - can't find a pic of this :(

Rimmel colour rush balm make me blush

c13c49.jpg

Also got a sample of the Amazing Cosmetics Amazing concealer, excited to give this a try as its gotten a lot of hype over the past while. Colours might be too dark (three of them definitely are) so if its good maybe I might get the full size one. We'll see.

Have a voucher for boots, and another voucher to get €3.5 off the Max Factor facefinity or skin luminizer foundation, there's a 3-for-2 on, what other products should I get guys? Had a look and anything I see I'm just like "meh" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

my new addiction is Armani eye tints -was in BT the other day and started playing around with them - they are fab! Bought one there and ended up buying another in the air port :o the woman in the airport put three shades blended on me and it was gorgeous.

Has anyone tried the eyes to kill intense? it looks amazing! (im too broke now to try it!!)

• Advertisement

Picked up these

Max Factor skin luminizer foundation in Light Ivory

maxfactor_skin_luminizer_foundation_edited.jpg

Max Factor Masterpiece Transform mascara in black/brown

max_factor_masterpiece_transform_mascara.png

Tried the mascara this evening, it seemed really clumpy and wet on the first go, but I'll try it a few more times and hopefully it works out!

Also got a nail polish which I'll post in the nail polish thread :)

Advertisement