Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

It's my birthday tomorrow and as my boyfriend had to leave for London this evening for a week with a client, he gave me my gifts today. Among them was a 100ml bottle of "Heat" by Beyoncé,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvcu5980CYs6ow-m8mi9ok-FkkyEz5J2Xn9jP6H-ng6SySH2H2&t=1

a new MAC 187

mac187brush.jpg

and the MAC "Rocker Chic" Look-in-a-box. It includes Black Tied and Electra shadows (already depotted and in my 15palette which is now full), Smolder Eye Kohl, Hue Lipstick, lipglaze in Oyster Girl and a black Dazzlelash mascara.

mac-look-in-a-box-rocker-chick.jpg

One of my girlfriends got me an eyeshadow in Saffron from MAC's new collection Surf Baby

5631760937_8884296421.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

If it's nicer than the green one I may stop traffic!

They do another really good one called Lash Mania, it comes in a black and silver tube, has a big brush like Dior show, it's great but it makes my eyes water so I can't use it.:(

I never had any allergies until a couple of years ago when I had a severe reaction to a pair of crocs and now I find myself having reactions to loads of things..it's so annoying :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Bought this a few weeks ago and i still LOVE it! Its by Catrice and only €6.99.It is such a misleading foundation as it comes out quite thick but goes on brilliantly and lasts all day (maybe not the 18h it claims but still...) I thought this would be a "wear for a week and thats it" foundation, but its fab and definitely rivals Studio Fix for me.:D

catrice.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Was given a Brown Thomas voucher for my birthday and after one million trips in I finally found something I wanted :D

Scene Queen Palette from Benefit.

Benefit-Scene-Queen-palette.jpg

In it is: Coralista blush with a mini brush, High Beam, Juicy Coral Lip Shine , Smokin’ Liner, Eyeshadows in Charcoal, Shimmering Beige, Misty Blue, and Navy, 2 Fluff Shadow/Hard Angle Brushes.
    I've been wanting to try out Coralista and High beam for ages, and I was planning on buying eyeshadow with the voucher so how could I resist this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

F bronzer in gold bronzer' or warm bronzer' - http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~124.htm
    Might be too late, but the bronzer is more a shimmer, love it for going out on your body because it's a really fine shimmer and gives a sheen, but it really doesn't give that much colour, so if you're looking for a bronzer I wouldn't recommend it, if you like a little sheen on your legs or shoulders etc, though this is amazing!
    I have it in golden for wearing over tan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

anniehoo wrote: »
    Bought this a few weeks ago and i still LOVE it! Its by Catrice and only €6.99.It is such a misleading foundation as it comes out quite thick but goes on brilliantly and lasts all day (maybe not the 18h it claims but still...) I thought this would be a "wear for a week and thats it" foundation, but its fab and definitely rivals Studio Fix for me.:D

http://dialmformaquillage.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/catrice.png

Where did you get it Anniehoo? I need to get a new foundation. I whave the worst luck with foundation - tried MAC (too yellow), Bareminerals (not enough coverage) and loads of cheaper ones. Everything just ends up looking unnatural on me and I get that horrible foundation line around my neck :(

lizt wrote: »
    Where did you get it Anniehoo?k
    Dunnes lizt, most branches should be stocking Catrice now normally around the cosmetics section in the food halls. Some reviews here and here

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭silverspoon

Ooh, I'm glad Catrice is getting so popular, I love their stuff! That said I don't have loads of their stuff but what I do have I love. I have two eyeshadow quads, a Smokey Eye kit and a single shadow, and I think they're brilliant. They're not going to be as good as a MAC or Urban Decay but for day wear they do the job! I got a powder face highlighter from their current floral collection for 4.99 and it's so nice, really subtle but lifts the face completely. My only trouble is that my mother keeps stealing it from me!

Oh and best concealer from Boots ever = Rimmel Match Perfection. I normally use PanStik (:o) but this gives lovely under-eye coverage without any cakeyness and is kind of luminous without having any glitter (I'm looking at you Photoready).

Since we're on the Catrice buzz....im wearing their gel eyeliner in Black Jack today and its brill!! Only 4.49....review here aswell ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Since we're on the Catrice buzz....im wearing their gel eyeliner in Black Jack today and its brill!! Only 4.49....review here aswell ;)

I agree :D It's the shiznit, definitely one of the best I've ever used. Never budges, really easy to apply (like a liquid more than a gel), and it's super black too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Silly_Sally

Hi gals,

Just a quick review on the bits I ordered from E.l.f and I'm afraid to say I was a bit disappointed with them! I know its a cheap range but after the reviews I have previously read I guess I was expecting a lot, anyways here it goes...

Eyelid Primer - Seems to be good but after a week of using it i haven't noticed much difference.
    Small Angled Brush (studio range) Lovely brush, long handle which i love in brushes. I used this with gel eyeliner and I'm really happy with it.
    Eye Widener Eye Widener (white) -Never used one of these before, but i quite like it, stays on and has a nice consistency
    Eyebrow Lifter and Filler ivory/medium I really liked the hi-lighter but the brow filler was way to dark for me and a bit too waxy for my liking!
    Cream Eyeliner Black - Brush Included Major let down! :( Looks great, goes on well and then within a hour or two starts to smudge and leaves a dark rim around my eye lid
    Eyeshadow collections Everyday Brights This pallet is gorgeous, looks lovely, colours are nice but the pigment is a bit light. Otherwise considering it was 9e I'm happy with it.
    Eyeliner Brush I haven't gotten a chance to use this yet but its a nice brush from the mineral range.

I think e.l.f is a hit/miss range. What works for some people may not work for others. I liked the bits that worked for me but I will not be buying from them again! Sorry elf! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Realdeal2

I bought avon supershock liners and they are amazing, Pixiwoo girls recommend them and I really know why, they stay on the waterline, don't smudge. I have black, khaki and plumful.

this is swatch for khaki shimmer
    avon_shockswatch.jpg

12AVON_supershock_01.png

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

From the recommendations here I got the Catrice Photo finish 18h liquid foundation in 02. Its really good, great coverage and although it definitely doesn't last 18hours (maybe 12 at a push) that doesn't bother me! Although does anyone else think it smells like cat's pee??The smell only occurs when you're first applying it but it is pretty disgusting!

I also got the gel eyeliner in black jack (last one in Dunnes in Blanch-hehe!!) and it is a-maz-ing!! Once you put it on it doesn't budge, I have been looking for a good eyeliner for a long, long time and I have finally found it!!

I am crap at applying eyeliner so bought the eyeliner brush from catrice also (2.49euro) and its fab! Would defo recommend getting this if you are buying the gel liner-they are the perfect combo!

Also bought their ultimate black lashes to kill which is really good too. At first I wasn't sure about it. Don't know how to explain but the brush felt real delicate or weak and not very sturdy, like if I tried to really put a heavy layer or anything on that the brush would break, don't know if that makes sense! But it was actually really good, made my lashes really dark and made them look long and thick too.

So I am definitely a catrice fan, just got to try their nail varnishes now, they had some lovely colours!

Anyone recommend a good makeup remover(not break the bank stuff-maybe between 10-20euro)?? I never feel like my skin is completely make-up free. I use 2-3 nivea make up wipes, clinique cleansing wash and no.7 make up remover each time and still my face doesn't feel make-up free! And I know this sounds like a lot but I don't even wear loads of thick make-up(thats just my day make up too) I don't wear any eye makeup to work (not allowed)!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

‎20% off at eyeslipsface.co.uk today! Use codes SAVE20UK (UK customers) or SAVE20EU (EU customers) at checkout to save 20% on your order!

Minimum spend (before shipping) of £10 applies and this offer ends at 10am (UK time) Saturday 21 May 2011.

Just found this!! Thought I'd let you all know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Oh and best concealer from Boots ever = Rimmel Match Perfection. I normally use PanStik (:o) but this gives lovely under-eye coverage without any cakeyness and is kind of luminous without having any glitter (I'm looking at you Photoready).

I find the dream matte mouse consealer amazing, and it lasts FOREVER! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

Having read alot about ELF I decided to try them recently. Here's what I bought:-

Studio Stippling Brush - I really find this fantastic for putting on foundation - good quality brush

Studio Kabuki Brush - bought this as part of a pressie for somebody, but brush feels lovely and soft.

Eye blender brush - initially I thought this brush was a bit dense and hard to be a blending brush, but actually after using it a few times I really like it.

Makup brush case - wow what a bargain for £5 - holds loads of brushes, really happy with this purchase.

Eyebrow Kit - definitely my favourite purchase - for £3.50 this is a steal. To look at it you think the gel isn't going to provide any colour and the powder is definitely too light, however when you combine the two it really does a fab job. Would highly recommend this product.

Don't think I will be trying their eye shadows, I'm a bit of an inglot and mac fan. However I am going to try out the studio tinted moisturiser and the all over colour stick (pink Lemonade) next time round :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I have Elf's studio stipple brush, it's quite good. Some of their stuff is a bit hit and miss though. I must pull out my make up bag and do a review of it! I have so much elf stuff now I cant' remember what's good and what's not.

One thing I have that I love is benefit's Maggie collection.

I got it in L.A last summer, don't know if it's over here yet though.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSL9z6ktccax2V0NrXwvPXyQWpV16YKFBu60DAXvVkFtt7ZpSbQtg

I use everything in the palatte and that's a real rarity for me! although I must confess I have lost one of the brushes and the lipgloss is floating around somewhere... must track that down.

Mods would it be possible to sticky this thread now please?

I recently bought philipkingsley.jpg

It's a hair treatment, it's quite expensive but it does seem very good.
    Most reviews absolutely rave about it but I suppose my hair just wasn't very damaged to begin with so that's why others got more noticeable results than me.

I also got Jemma Kidd dewy glow all over radiance cream jemmakidd.jpg

It's nice but not quite the HG I thought it would be, i'll give it a couple of weeks and see what I think and update review!

I bought Revlon lipstick in pink pout but I use it as a blusher and not a lipstick, blusher always looks weird on me, I have no idea why but I am in love with this lippie as a blush! Yay it's such a pretty colour! revlon.jpg

Another Lipstick is Darling by gosh, I love this, it's a nice gloss like lipstick, staying power is terrible but I don't mind goshdarling.jpg

This was recommended on the dry skin thread, I don't really have dry skin but I like really moist skin so after reading the boardsies rec I decided to buy it and I love it, gives me nice glowy skin!
    oilatum.jpg

I also got some stuff from ELF but I didn't really like any of the things I ordered except the Studio shimmer palette, I really like it for highlighting, great bargain! elfeh.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Few ELF reviews! :)

Studio mineral infused face primer: 83401_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg

I've only used this once, felt a bit oily going on, but as it says to only use a small amount I may have just used too much. Used Benefit That Gal before and it felt lovely, like it was blending with your skin, whereas with the ELF one it felt like you were plastering a layer on top of your face and then layering on the make up after it...if that makes any sense!

Studio complexion brush:
    84002_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg
    I love this! :D The brush feels amazing, there has been no shedding and I've been using it nearly every day for about a month, it picks up just the right amount of powder and doesn't hold on to it...theres absolutely no residue so far in it. I have used it with blusher and mainly this:

Mineral booster in Sheer:
    6600_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg
    Again, love this, perfect when I want a powder but don't want an orangey/brown one of normal powder or bronzer. Don't have a Kabuki brush but it goes on fine with the complexion brush. It stays on for most of the day and just gives a nice smooth, radiant complexion :)

I also bought some eye shadows but haven't had a chance to try them all out yet...reviews later! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Denisejcc

82441_ROLLOVER.jpg
    Lip Balm

Eyeliners black and purple
    81158_creameyeliner_prodpage-copy_100006.jpg81160_black_prodpage_withbrush.jpg
    7500_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpg1715_ROLLOVER(1).jpg
    Have never used false eyelashes ever but like the fact that these are individual so shouldnt look so 'false'
    84011_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpgBlush brush
    84010_PRODUCT_IMAGE.jpgSmall angled brush

Had to jump on the E.L.F bandwagon to see what theyre like for myself.
    Hurry up postie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Essence Soft and Natural Foundation

I ran out of foundation completely and needed some cheap to keep me going until I got more of my usual foundation so I picked up this Essence foundation and it surprised me.

I got the colour “O2 Sand Beige” as it was the closest colour to the Bobbi Brown foundation I normally use.

I found this found gave a nice look, not cakey, but enough coverage (for me at least). I like pretty light coverage and this foundation gave me just that, it can be built up to full coverage, but you may end up with a ‘caked’ look.

I find this foundation looked better when applied with a sponge. It gave a nicer finish and a more ‘even’ finish.

I applied it with my MAC 190 foundation brush and it gave a good finish too, but not as smooth as a sponge.

I have acne and found this foundation covered my red spots enough for me, although some redness was still visible, you would need to look closely to see it. My skin is sensitive also and reacts to most products, but it didn’t react to this foundation at all.

This product is definitely worth €3.49 and I would purchase it again. It’s a five star product.

578965.jpg

Boots Essentials Cucumber Facial Wash

I decided to purchase this facial wash as I have been using the Boots cucumber facial wipes and moisturising lotion for a few weeks now and found them to be very good products and just as good as the Clarins and Clinique products I use, but for a small price.

I found the facial wash left my face feeling refreshed and soft after using it.

You only need a little bit of this at a time as a little goes a long way and it lathers up quite quickly.

It’s a great product for the price. I will purchase it again.

boots-essentials-cucumber-facial-wash-150ml-17112247.jpeg

Boots cucumber facial scrub

I love this, it’s just like the St. Ive’s scrub I use but it’s a small tube, there’s are about €1.50 or so of a price difference between both products, the St. Ive’s tube is bigger so it is better value.

I found the cucumber scrub to be good, although not as good as the St. Ive’s scrub.

The cucumber tube is perfect for a week or two week holiday as it’s small and light, compared to the St. Ive’s scrub which is a bigger tube and slightly heavier, the St. Ive’s is slightly bulky I find for going on holiday.

I’d definitely buy this cucumber scrub again, it’s a good product for the price and it’s handy for travelling, not to heavy/bulky etc.

http://img01.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded/i5/T1jgpBXitkXXXrWEba_092500.jpg_310x310.jpg

Boots cucumber 3-minute clay mask

I’m not to impressed with this product. To be honest I didn’t find much/any difference in my skin after using it.

I much prefer the Boots conditioning clay mask, I find it leave my skin soft and smooth, unlike the Boots cucumber mask.

It’s not a product I’d recommend and it’s not something I would purchase again, no matter how cheap it it.

32612493.jpg

Barry M nail polish - Navy, Indigo, Vivid Purple, Black and Clear

I love these nail polishes, they last for days without chipping, they dry quickly. They aren't very thick, but they aren't too watery either, they have a nice consistency.

They're definitely worth the €4.50 price tag.

Esteé Lauder nail polish - Fuschia

I love this polish, it's thick so only one coat is needed (for me at least).

I am not sure how much it costs in store here, but on Boots UK website it's priced at £14, so I'm guessing it would be around €22 here.

Chanel Le Vernis Nail colour - Fire, Paparazzi, Lotus Rouge, Pirate, Rouge Noir, Madness, Rose Paradise

These are very like Esteé Lauder, but not as thick.

They last days without chipping, they dry quickly. I find one coat is enough, they aren't very thick, but they aren't too watery either.

The are priced at €21 in Brown Thomas and £16.85 on Boots UK website.

Nails Inc nail polishes - Harriet Walk, Victoria & Albert, Warwick Avenue, Shade 238

These are thick polishes like Esteé Lauder, only one coat is needed and they dry quickly.

Mine lasted a week without chipping (had it on my toe nails, so it may chip quicker on finger nails).

They are priced at £11 sterling, I am not sure how much they cost in euros, sorry.

I forgot to ask, can haircare reviews be posted here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Sure PurpleBobbin, would be great to hear your thoughts on haircare items.

Just to clarify everyone, I started this thread to hear reviews and share thoughts on products and new purchases that feature in your beauty routine- so anything you use in the bath/shower, makeup, fragrances, skincare, tanning products, beauty tools, haircare, hair tools, etc. Really enjoying reading everyone's posts, delighted there have been so many responses. Keep it up :D

SexyD4Lady wrote: »
    Sure PurpleBobbin, would be great to hear your thoughts on haircare items.

Just to clarify everyone, I started this thread to hear reviews and share thoughts on products and new purchases that feature in your beauty routine- so anything you use in the bath/shower, makeup, fragrances, skincare, tanning products, beauty tools, haircare, hair tools, etc. Really enjoying reading everyone's posts, delighted there have been so many responses. Keep it up :D
    Excellent stuff, I thought it was only recently purchased cosmetics we could reviews.

I'll pop up a few more reviews over the next few days, have been playing around with plenty of cosmetic items recently, so shall definitely review them :D

Can prob throw in a few swatches as well if anyone wants, lemme know!

SexyD4Lady wrote: »
    Really enjoying reading everyone's posts, delighted there have been so many responses. Keep it up :D

It's a great thread Sexyd4lady :) I've asked in the thread for it to be stickied and sent a mod a message too asking them to sticky it so hopefully they'll do it soon!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Tayla wrote: »
    It's a great thread Sexyd4lady :) I've asked in the thread for it to be stickied and sent a mod a message too asking them to sticky it so hopefully they'll do it soon!

Holding off just for the time being. We are discussing all sorts at the moment about how to organise the forum, so changes will be rolled out presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Ordered Weleda Skinfood and Sea Buckthorn body oil from Amazon

41RMA6X-9KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51JCE6JQ2ML._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    Reckon I'm getting a touch of Rosacea around my nose and cheeks:( Area has gone very red and open porey over the past few months. Did a little bit of research online and both these products have been getting good reviews from people with Rosacea. The Skin food in particular gets rave reviews on makeup alley http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/page=1/pagesize=10/ItemID=3845/SortBy=helpful/AgeRange=0/SkinToneType=1/ Neither are designed specifically for the face but I feel they are worth a shot after reading reviews on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Not a latest purchase but I got this in the Soap and Glory Box I got for xmass and just started using it.

NEW-Clean-On-Me-380x380.jpg
    It smells so good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Hiya ladies I thought you might like to know...

FREE SHIPPING today on www.eyeslipsface.co.uk. UK Customers use the code SWEET175UK, EU Customers SWEET175EU at checkout.

A minimum order of £10 (before shipping) applies. This offer expires at 10am (UK time) Friday 27th May 2011.

Advertisement