Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time of year again... The dreaded Love Day

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Come on Eileen

When i was young, 6 - 10 I used make a card for my dad every year! Now me and boyfriend dont make a big deal of it. Like cards, yes, but not dinner. Prob go out the following sat night when the prices have calmed a bit and we havent been out for dinner in ages. Best present was when i was in oz and he had just gone back to ireland (so was missing him like mad) . he rang me that morning, and told me get out of bed and go into living room, there was a teddy, flowers and a framed pic of the two of us from when he was over...man was there tears that morning! Lovely though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Deedsie wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply MB, see I have only just started seeing her, but I have known her a long time. I think she would be embarrassed by the flower. She still lives at home, so she will get enough grief for the card in the mail. I think chocolates is the way to go. I would like to get her something more thoughtful but it's hard to when you have only been together a few weeks.

If you've known her a long time, then you'll know what she does and doesn't like. Is she particularly into anything?

How about making her a CD? It shows thought and effort, but is suitably "small", plus it doesn't have to be sappy. (I'd love it anyway... :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm making a card and sending it to my best friend. Screw you Hallmark, screw you! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'm printing out some of these

for_B3ta_tesco_value_valentine_card.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

Tallon wrote: »
    I'm printing out some of these

for_B3ta_tesco_value_valentine_card.jpg

Hah, that's hilarious! I want some of those. I have a few strange Lovecraft Valentines cards that I'll send to a few friends, but I tend to avoid Valentines with my boyfriend, I never really understood the sentiment of the day. It's supposed to make people be romantic, but I think that one of the most important aspects of romance is that it's spontaneous and a surprise and tailored to the person...I hate being crammed into a packed restaurant on Valentines night with all the other couples who feel they have to be there because of the day that's in it.

Reminds me of a quote: "Why do they put candy in a box shaped like a heart? It's like eating ice cream out of a lung."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

I know practically everyone hates Valentines day, but I really enjoy it.
    I'm a total sap when it comes to all the cards, heart shaped sweets, cake tins, cookie cutters, fairy lights, the LOT.

This year I'm making my other half her favourite dinner, I got her a few little things but no box of chocolates. Just small little gifts that I know she'll laugh when she sees.
    She won't be getting roses, a heart shaped box of chocolates or anything like that.
    Any excuse to have a bit of fun and go a little over the top and I'm there :)

But in saying all this, this is our 3rd Valentines together so I don't really remember what if feels like to be alone on it.

I am entirely confident that if I was single for this day, I'd more than likely be arrested for burning down every card shop in the city centre along with over turning tables in cozy, candle lit restaurants. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

In fairness, Hallmark didn't invent Valentine's Day, they merely capitalised on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

I also think Valentines day is a money making scam but still use it as an opportunity to try a little harder with the romance side of our relationship. We have a 4 yr old and one on the way so just gona cook a nice dinner, make homemade cards, attempt a loveheart sponge cake (should be fun! Not!) and probably a dvd and alcohol free beverages..
    Not into getting presents or flowers or anything like that! And wouldnt care if I was single as It is one of them days (like xmas) were you want things to be too perfect and when they're not, its extra crappy iykwim?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That Tesco card = win! :D

But actually, reading this reminds me of how Valentine's Day is actually lovely in the early stage of a relationship and it makes a lot of sense to observe it, albeit in an individualistic way rather than via the generic stuff, much of which is over-priced tat. However in an established relationship it seems rather pointless to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

My son brought me home a lovely valentines card that he made with a red card glitter and and a heart shaped sponge cake he made and told me he loved me.

He will be getting one grandma flowers and the other grandma a valentine email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

My son brought me home a lovely valentines card that he made with a red card glitter and and a heart shaped sponge cake he made and told me he loved me.

He will be getting one grandma flowers and the other grandma who is away a valentine email.
    How beautiful. :)

He will be getting one grandma flowers and the other grandma who is away a valentine email.
    We were so much more innocent when we were younger :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Tallon wrote: »
    We were so much more innocent when we were younger :p

Maybe we should just pretend we are three this time of year.

How did it all become such a minefield?

I actually made my ex a card for the 3 years I was with here, and on our anniversary.

She was into all that stuff, and she appreciated it a lot more than some overpriced roses and a box of milk tray

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have an exam that morning, that being remembered is far more important :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

im dreading it...maybe i ll make a card for my mom like I used to do in school :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I'm not that bothered about valentines day, even when I have a boyfriend. I'll swap cards, but generally don't do presents.

This year I'm single & there are no prospects so it's just going to be another ordinary day for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My local supermarket is doing a Valentines day dinner special, with a roast pork or chicken dinner for two, dessert, and a bottle of sparkling wine or a box of Thorntons chocolates for a tenner.

I've had the dinners before, roast potatoes and veg, and the meat is pretty good, so there is my plan :) The bf even with his limited cookery skills is able to put the roast dinner in the oven and serve it up :D

Was down there earlier and an elderly man was happily packing his Valentines dinner away, delighted with himself, I thought it was very sweet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Funlover

It is very much a commercial money spinner imo however its up to everyone if they choose to celebrate it or not. Personally we dont. My husband tells me its valentines day every day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Meh. 7 years married, 15 years together, we're not too pushed tbh. Might just wait till kiddies are in bed to have a nice meal together, and I am plotting a bit of a pressie for himself, but that's because we spoil the kids and don't get each other anything for Xmas, so that's his belated Xmas. He's not pushed, and I couldn't care less about flowers and card. Valentine's day is better when unexpected. Wedding anniversary is more meaningful.

• Advertisement

We celebrated it today, rather than Monday (Monday being our day to veg out and recover from the shock of being back at work)

Started in a weird way, with him asking me if we were doing anything (after him ignoring it for the past two years)

I said I wasn't pushed, he announced he'd gotten me a gift, I demanded said gift which was lovely, very thoughtful and something I'd been thinking I needed, then we headed off for a day of shopping, went for a fab dinner, then came home and relaxed.

Really really lovely day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

My boyfriend and I also celebrated valentines today or yesterday :p because I'm in college on Galway on Monday and he'll be in Cork :o

It was the nicest evening, we exchanged gifts, he shocked me with the most beautiful ring with a pearl on it and a card with a cute little letter inside :D

We went for dinner at 8, to a really nice Italian place, came home and snuggled up in bed and watched Valentines Day while munching some butter popcorn with a chopped up galaxy melted on top :D

Simple evening but perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Well I'm wishing everyone a happy Valentines day now, in case I forget tomorrow... have fun whatever you're doing, and I think it'd be nice to do one nice thing for someone to show them that you care, even if it's not a romantic kind of caring. :)

Advertisement