Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throwers and throws coaching

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Bruce7

Fairly sure I know who'll win this, but it's good to see the throws being promoted a bit anyway.

May 2012

[FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style]Proposal from Timing Ireland for prize sponsorship for the Throws in 2012 Dublin Graded Track & Field programme.

It is proposed that there be an overall Best Thrower of the series, as well as best in each event (Men and Women included in same category).
    Results based on the following
    Your best two competition results will be included.
    1[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style]st [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style]place….5pts
    2[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style]nd[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style]….4pts
    3[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style]rd[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style]…3pts
    4[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style]th[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style]…2pts
    5[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style]th [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style][FONT=Bookman Old Style,Bookman Old Style]…1point
    If there is a tie on points the decathlon tables will be used to determine for the best performance from the tied athletes.

[/FONT][/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭longjump67

Short wire should be easier if your a bit on the small side (and in fairness more u14 girls will be)
    Long wire should mean (all other things being equal) that it would go further.

I've sent an email just now to AAI also asking for clarification...I'll post any reply here.

Downloaded entry forms for Ulster & N.Ireland Championships and was horrified to see the weights for Shot and Hammer for 1999 girls (U-14).
    They have a 2.72kg shot and more alarmingly a 3.25Kg Hammer (Long wire), the Javelin and Discus are in line with AAI.

I sent an email to the NI office pointing out the differences in the weights compared to AAI and also pointed out that the U-16 & U-17 girls are down to throw a 3Kg hammer so why did they think that U-14's should throw 3.25Kg it doesn't make sense.

Got a reply saying that they would pass on info to the Officials and an answer should be forthcoming in the next day or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

The Shot & Hammer are the UK weights then. I presume NI follow the UK Athletics rulebook. But that would also assume two-year age groups (U13, U15 etc)

Does the 'Ulster & NI Champs' comprise the nine counties? No wonder there is confusion :(

For what it's worth I think it's high time AAI went to two-year age groups, for all sorts of reasons.

RoyMcC wrote: »
    The Shot & Hammer are the UK weights then. I presume NI follow the UK Athletics rulebook. But that would also assume two-year age groups (U13, U15 etc)

Does the 'Ulster & NI Champs' comprise the nine counties? No wonder there is confusion :(

For what it's worth I think it's high time AAI went to two-year age groups, for all sorts of reasons.

No AthleticsNI and the Ulster council joined together a few years back and agreed to run 1 championship under AAI rules and weights. It does comprise of the whole 9 counties, looks like an oversight on someone in the office's part as there are regular meetings between the two organisations.
    Every age-group from U-12 to U-19 is catered for.
    Understand your point RE two-year age-group and do see some merits in this, however with Scottish Atletics adopting the two-year age group but for U-14, U-16 etc... this makes it even more complicated as regards picking under-age teams for internationals.
    Surely it is high time the countries throughout the British Isles where standardised.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭a_non_a_mouse

I've sent an email just now to AAI also asking for clarification...I'll post any reply here.
    Never got a reply from AAI, but it does appear that the weight changes (reliable source) are being implemented this year despite some timetable/entry forms for some regions still listing the "old" weights.

Anyone get anything offical from AAI ?

LongJump67, did you get clarification from AthleticsNI ?

• Advertisement

Never got a reply from AAI, but it does appear that the weight changes (reliable source) are being implemented this year despite some timetable/entry forms for some regions still listing the "old" weights.

Anyone get anything offical from AAI ?

LongJump67, did you get clarification from AthleticsNI ?

Was talking to the Ulster sec last week at the AAI games and made him aware of the weights that athleticsNI had set out on their entry forms and he was to have a meeting last Monday night to clarify which weights were being used, but as yet I have not heard anything "official".

My daughter threw a new pb in the 2kg shot finally breaking the 11m barrier 11.03m. Heading up to Antrim this evening for a meet under UK rules so a 2.72kg shot and a Discus comp.

the AAI preview of the All-Ireland Schools at the weekend almost totally ignored the throws, so some of ones missed!....

Inter Boys Hammer.....could be a good comp with at least one guy throwing serious distances...60m+ is possible
    Inter Girls Discus.....a couple of girls here capable of breaking 40m mark
    Senior Girls Discus...2/3 girls here who should be in the high 30's or better, with another 4/5 at 34-37m, so plenty competition
    Inter Boys Shot.....a couple of guys over 15m plus plenty competition at the 13m/14m mark
    Junior Girls Shot....3/4 girls throwing really well, plenty competition here for all the medals

Best of luck to all the throwers heading to Tullamore on Sat.

John Kelly threw over 16m in the Ulster schools districts inter boys.
    his younger brother James who is still only 12 threw a massive 15.38m yesterday with the 2kg to win the Donegal primary schools.

the AAI preview of the All-Ireland Schools at the weekend almost totally ignored the throws, so some of ones missed!....

Inter Boys Hammer.....could be a good comp with at least one guy throwing serious distances...60m+ is possible
    Inter Girls Discus.....a couple of girls here capable of breaking 40m mark
    Senior Girls Discus...2/3 girls here who should be in the high 30's or better, with another 4/5 at 34-37m, so plenty competition
    Inter Boys Shot.....a couple of guys over 15m plus plenty competition at the 13m/14m mark
    Junior Girls Shot....3/4 girls throwing really well, plenty competition here for all the medals

Best of luck to all the throwers heading to Tullamore on Sat.

John Kelly threw 16.58m to win the Inter boys Shot:D, Jagger 2nd 16.12m and Kingston 3rd with 14.08m.

• Advertisement

longjump67 wrote: »
    My daughter threw a new pb in the 2kg shot finally breaking the 11m barrier 11.03m. Heading up to Antrim this evening for a meet under UK rules so a 2.72kg shot and a Discus comp.

She threw a respectable 9.29m in the Shot (2.72kg) suspect she threw the 1kg Discus as she only threw 20.06m but won both events so worthwhile trip.

Well we had the Ulster & NI champs at the weekend and my daughter came home with 3 Gold medals. Should be happy right.:D

Well I am but with the rule changes made to the hammer at congress some 5 weeks ago and personally emailing both the Ulster council and AthleticsNI about the changes(2.5kg long wire) you would think they would have had the right throwing implament for the competitors to throw with, did they hell. She ending up throwing a 3kg long wire hammer, she did however manage to throw it 24.50m but with very few hammer comps for her age it would have been nice to have thrown the proper weight.
    She also won the Javelin 25.59m into a strong headwind and a modest 21+m Discus.

Good work. In a way it's character-forming having to deal with unexpected situations - which she did.

Here we're very proud of Jersey girl Shadine Duquemin. She's throwing the disc 50m+ now and on Saturday won the English U23 championships at age 17 :eek: She's qualified for the World Juniors in Barcelona next month. Clare Fitzgerald has been throwing mid-40s and was third behind Shads on Saturday.

Good work. In a way it's character-forming having to deal with unexpected situations - which she did.

Indeed I am proud of the way she handled herself, but if you look at earlier post I made some 3 weeks ago I emailed athleicsNI to inform them of the rule changes so the situation should not have arisen.
    One other point is that there were 2 athletes who have brought 2,5kg long-wire hammers, had them weighed and then the officials refused those athletes to use them.
    When I approached the Field referee to point-out that the athletes in question had said they would allow the other athletes use of their Hammers I was told that "no-one would be using those Hammers as they were personal and becuase their Assocation could not supply the rest of the athletes with the Proper Hammer that all athletes would therefore throw the 3kg."
    Didn't make to much of a fuss about it as I didn't want to upset the atheletes or the timetable but surely they could have allowed the athletes use the correct Hammer when it was made available to all the athletes.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Throws to the fore at the Tailteann Games:

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=26053

Some decent throwing today at the Junior & u23s.

young John Kelly nearly won Gold in the Junior Shot being narrowly beaten into second by Paul Collins (14.98m to 14.85m)
    James McCabe won the junior Hammer with 68.62 (could be a PB), McGuigan not far behind with 68.03
    Womens Discus was won by Parkinson with 43.23m with Wilson and O'Sullivan also over 40m and top 7 all being over 35m. Good depth in junior women discus at the mo.

in the u23 hammer Furlong narrowly edged out Barry with both over 58m.

yeah pb for young Mc Cabe he looks very strong, Mc Guigan looks fast in the circle but timing a bit off I thought.
    Young Kelly was leading the shot till the last round and a 47m+ Javelin, talented young man.

Last comp for my daughter before the All-Irelands next weekend and things are going well a new pb in the javelin 28.00m :D
    In training she is throwing around 27 -28m with a 3kg Hammer (we have nothing lighter) and the Discus is the only ropey event at the moment as one night its 24 - 25m the next it could be 20 - 21m.
    Overall she has improved steadily all year and think we have peaked nicely for the nationals, fingers -crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 javthrow

Time that Anita Fitzgibbon was knocked off her perch :)

Thanks for the support, great to see people supporting you out there when all they want to do is knock you down and off her ' perch' when your trying to do well.. i'm sure when your daughter gets to my standard if she is still at it, you wouldnt be saying the same thing.... oh i really do wish you come and introduce yourself to me at the track in santry natinal championships... Mr Donegal...:eek: rememeber i have represented and performed well at internatinals meets... good to hear you say that... i think you have to much to say really about things you quite dont simply understand...That Anita Fitzgibbon is a very successful business women and athlete... ass

javthrow wrote: »
    Thanks for the support, great to see people supporting you out there when all they want to do is knock you down and off her ' perch' when your trying to do well.. i'm sure when your daughter gets to my standard if she is still at it, you wouldnt be saying the same thing.... oh i really do wish you come and introduce yourself to me at the track in santry natinal championships... Mr Donegal...:eek: rememeber i have represented and performed well at internatinals meets... good to hear you say that... i think you have to much to say really about things you quite dont simply understand...That Anita Fitzgibbon is a very successful business women and athlete... ass

I think you are completely misreading the context which that quote was posted. It was more a case of encouraging improving standards in the chasing pack rather than begrudging Anita. The reason the name was used was due to the fact that you have topped the Irish rankings for the last four years.

If you look to other posts you see he actually holds you in high regard
    Good point, but how things have changed in that respect. I think many people still have this image of the Soviet women throwers who probably built motorways for a living :eek: Take a look these days and there's far more of an emphasis on all-round athleticism and speed. You won't find a better example than Anita White in that respect.

Its a case of to be the best you have to beat the best hence why the name of our top female javelin thrower was used. Similarly to people who want to be faster than Usain Bolt its nothing to do with the man himself but rather that is the level the bar is at to attain number 1 status

• Advertisement

At least it got a top thrower to post in the thread. Good luck tomorrow Anita!

Now let's see if it works again.

Time that David Storl was knocked off his perch.

javthrow wrote: »

Think you misundertood me I did not say any thing about Anita Fitzgibbon being knocked of her perch if you go back and read the next few posts you will see that I wasn't sure who Anita was as Im new to the throws being from a long jump background. the only throwers I knew when I was competing were the Ledgend Terry Mc Hugh, Damien Crawford, Phil Conway and a few others.

You will also see that I have seen her throw and said that my daughter had a long way to go to reach her standard.

Please read the posts carefully you will see that it was not one of my posts, I apologise for any offence caused but I will also say that I was an athlete for some 18 years, a coach for the last 15 years and an official for the last 8 years so to I think my understanding of the sport is quite good, I am not an ass.

I would not attack any athlete's ability on this site.

Ouch :( Thanks ecoli. Anita, that was my post. I'm sorry you took it entirely in the wrong context. I was fortunate enough to officiate you on the throws line at Irishtown one evening and I was totally impressed with, not only your ability but your good humour - on that occasion.

As ecoli has said my comment was in the context that you are the woman that all others need to measure up to if they are to succeed. I was commenting on a very young lady new to the game and was holding you up as an example to follow.

Hope that sorts it out.

I hope this doesn't effect her performance this weekend, it's a pity she didn't return to the site to see the last few posts which would clear the air a bit.
    Anyway will be down in Dublin in the AM to watch some good throwing.

longjump67 wrote: »
    I hope this doesn't effect her performance this weekend,

Didn't appear to....just under the 50m and looked very impressive.

Throwing a bit of a mixed bag today (IMO)
    decent enough throwing in women's hammer and discus but men's shot was a bit less than expected. I had been hoping to see someone break or come close to 17m but it was won with just under 16m.

Shot was a strange one today all right. A bit subdued all round. The other circle is better to throw from IMO. Not really sure why...

Here's to good headwinds for the discus tomorrow.

Useful link.

http://www.convertmythrow.com/#

I think this question was asked at some point on this thread. You can input the distance you threw with one weight and it will estimate how much you would throw with another weight. The layout isn't the most intuitive, but you get the hang of it after a while.

So, for example, if you can throw 16m with the 6k shot (I wish), this equates to 14.55m with the 7.26

etc.

Jacko Gill sets Championship record at world Juniors not once.......... but Twice

21.74 in the first round and followed up with a 22.20 throw in the 5th round

He doesn't turn 18 until the end of this year.

World record is 22.73 set by David Storl a few weeks before his 19th birthday.

• Advertisement

Is that with a 6k shot (though I know he can chuck the senior weight further than most as well)?

Advertisement