Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Plenty of places to go from that place. To the left are a load of slugs you can farm for some nice ore. Also go up the tree trunk, there's a hidden wall there that leads to a chest and then another hidden wall that leads to a whole new area that is very easy to miss. If you keep going right to where the giants with the stones are you'll find a boss. Also along the way is a merchant selling pyromancy gear. If you go up the wheel lift way you can find some really useful loot including a fire keepers soul and a new entrance to the Valley of the Drakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Blightown can go and **** itself.

This zone alone makes me want to quit this game. Not because it's hard, but because it's cheap. Frame rate is all over the place, Agro of monsters is all over the place. The bonfire between each other are ****ing idiocy. Got all the way down to and tried to go somewhere... All poisoned up with those little shirts flying around. Lightning area is so poor that you barely can see what's in from of you. I am not even talking about big assholes with stones.
    Got all the way to some sort of ladder and wheel lift thing. There was message of bonfire near by, but nothing there. So went up and got arse ****ed by 3 spitting poison assholes. Nice one...

All I will say is look at my two quoted posts below and see how annoyed I was at the time and how much I loved it by the end.

noodler wrote: »
    Can't find the ****ing bonfire in the swamp in Blighttown.

Awful, awful level.

Really ruins the game when they get the balance so perfecft up until now and then come out with this cheap crap.
    noodler wrote: »
    I have done it, my first ever platinum and I think I could have chosen an easier game to achieve it.

On my 3rd playthrough, just needed to get to Anor Londo to the blacksmith for the last Sif weapon.

Fantastic game. The multiple playthroughs have really shown me the little nuances in the world.

Fantastic game - one of the best I have ever played and a massive improvement on its predecessor.

File size is 140 hours. I may jump back in a bit for some multi action but for now I am delighted to be moving on to some popcorn action in Uncharted 3.

GOTY 2011 for sure.

EDIT:

Just looking through the soundtrack, some of the songs are really ace compared to Demons' Souls.

Fireline, Gaping Dragon, SMough and Ornstein, Priscilla, and the lovely piano in Gywn (4 kings isn't bad either but it brings backl bad memories).

DOUBLE EDIT: I forgot my favourite in Nito! Great track.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well I found flipping spider. Got killed like a child... Any tips? I can't even reload my xbow between her attack, she just steamrolls me.

Where's that pyromamcer vendor? Can I get a bit more detailed discription?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't find Blight town anywhere near as tough as the valley of defilement. I just took my time and it didn't take me that long to get to the bottom. Once you get to the bottom it's not so bad.

Well I found flipping spider. Got killed like a child... Any tips? I can't even reload my xbow between her attack, she just steamrolls me.

Where's that pyromamcer vendor? Can I get a bit more detailed discription?

She's sitting at the base of the pillars as you head towards spider girl. Sometimes she isn't there though. Pretty sure it's the one on the far right.

As for Spider girl, forget the bow, she's easy enough with melee attacks, you just have to know when to dodge and when to attack. If you use ranged attacks she'll just rush you and get in your face. There should be an NPC phantom to summon outside her lair.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There should be an NPC phantom to summon outside her lair.

Matilda the ManEater can only be summoned if you beat her when she invades you at the bonfire just before the spider-boss (you must be in human form).

She can then be summoned to help you as Retr0 says just before the fog to the boss (but again you need to be in human form).

Will give it a go again tommorow.

Is it possible to walk around or suicide run in pass those 3 rock bastords? It is really time consuming killing them.

One more thing about invasions. Is there a limit how many times you can get invaded on single life/ bonfire pop?

Is it possible to walk around or suicide run in pass those 3 rock bastords? It is really time consuming killing them.

One more thing about invasions. Is there a limit how many times you can get invaded on single life/ bonfire pop?

If you have found the bonfire in the swamp then you should easily be able to avoid the rock throwers byt sticking to the wall as you edge towards the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Turn human, get invaded by Matilda . Kill her. Run past rock guys straight into the cave. Summon Matilda. Fight.

Or just see if you can summon people to help at the bonfire. I had 2 guys helping me while I hung back like a coward shooting arrows.

Thanks lads. I will try to avoid them so and summon here. I think I killed her already, because I was invaded by something at that bonfire when I kindle it. I can't remember what was the name, but it was very very similar to what you mentioned lads. Prety sure it was her.

Do I need something to be able to summon them? How can I be summoned? If I leave sign can still venture around on my own?

• Advertisement

Thanks lads. I will try to avoid them so and summon here. I think I killed her already, because I was invaded by something at that bonfire when I kindle it. I can't remember what was the name, but it was very very similar to what you mentioned lads. Prety sure it was her.

Do I need something to be able to summon them? How can I be summoned? If I leave sign can still venture around on my own?

If you already killed Matilda then her summon sign will, 100%, be just before the fog leading to the boss. You just need to be in human form (not hollowed) to summon her. You don't even need to be online for that bit.

If you wanna summon anyone else then you also need to be human form - look out for other signs at the bonfire or in the path leading to the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

penev10 wrote: »
    When Queelag does the lava spew is your cue to get behind her and hack away. You can probably afford to take a hit from the lava or her flame whip as they are relatively weak. The attack to look out for is her AOE explosion. I dont think she does it til shes down to about half heath. You can spot it coming though as she pauses completely and you can run away.

You can normally get behind her from the off as she starts by doing a series of lava spews. When she begins mixing it up you can get in for the odd whack in between flame whips. Then take your time as she begins to unleash the AOE. Arrows and spells are good at this point.
    I remember posting this fairly soon after killing Quelaag for the umpteenth time.

Agree with Retro, Valley of Defilement was way more annoying than Blighttown. The swamp bit is handy enough and by thta stage you should have some poison resisting armour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I finally picked this up today! I know I left it ages :D
    Any chance of some tips before I dive into this. I'm aware it's long and tough so I'd like to at least get a good running start. General tips on what stuff to choose at the beginning or any other advice that isn't spoilerish would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Shryke wrote: »
    Any chance of some tips before I dive into this. I'm aware it's long and tough so I'd like to at least get a good running start. General tips on what stuff to choose at the beginning or any other advice that isn't spoilerish would be cool.

Don't have time for a long post so some short to the point advice.

Head up the stairs along the cliff from the first bonfire for your starting area. Take your time, don't rush keep your shield up and only attack after a successful block or dodge. Buy a bow and some arrows and pull enemies to you if possible.

You will die, don't get frustrated and try to think of it as something learned each time you do. Good luck :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Take you time, and put some padding on the walls for when you throw your joypad at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Actually I just noticed, the best advice is probably in your sig!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ambrotos

Magic isn't particularly stong in Dark Souls, so I would personally make a general recommendation to go for a melee-centric build. In line with that, I would tell you to commit to certain stats as if you end up as a jack of all trades and master of none you could end up in a fair amount of trouble later. That's not to say that you can't invest a bit in stats you've neglected later in the game, but for the beginning pick a few that you'll focus on and dump your levels in those. Oh, and when you get the opportunity start upgrading your weapons and armour, as that gives you significant benefits in the early game.

Also, this is really basic advice, but learn to play defensively and cautiously and never, ever take on enemies in groups unless absolutely necessary. Four maggots are more dangerous than one large enemy (seriously!)

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head. Start of the game isn't too bad anyway. :D

Well I am not as good as most lads here, so take my advices for what it's worth.

*dont be to attached to class on begginig. You can always switch, though I will advice on some leather class with high mobility.

*mobility is a key. Very important stat is endurance, which responsible for load carried. Keep carried load to half of max you can. It is the best ratio between armor and mobility. Going full bad as heavy knight way is ****, trust me I tried.

*try to spend all your souls before exploring new region. Dont go exploring something new with loads os souls as you can get cough with pants down.

*stack up 5 million fire bombs when you get to vendor. Those are briliant in begginig.

*crossbow is a great weapon for bigger bastords and good few bosses. Even you are pure melee class, it's still very handy to have +5 xbow for **** situations. So if you got spare few souls, then stack up bolts, those will get handy.

*patients, you just have to have it. Sometimes it might look impossible, but after few fails, you will be just steam rolling stuff. ( I was bitching today about blightown, but after few fails I am steamrolling like a boss there. This is a Beuty of this game, it teaches you not to be shiet. )

*domt be afraid to farm a bit. If you see that you got a good bit of souls, but not enough for level or item, then do a reset and farm few more souls. It's better to do some farming then explore some place where you get bum raped by just stepping in to wrong room, then just fall of or die on some stupid spot. Trust me, it will happen!

*dont trust signs on ground which say: jump here for treasure. Dont jump 100% if that message has positive +30 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

All your comments make me want to get stuck in more! I'm sticking it in in about an hour for a little bit to get a feel and then probably going full hog in the next day or 2. Looking forward to it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

All your comments make me want to get stuck in more! I'm sticking it in in about an hour for a little bit to get a feel and then probably going full hog in the next day or 2. Looking forward to it now!

Become a pyromancer. Get a good shield and use a spear as you can attack while still defending with your shield, a good shield will be one with 100% physical damage reduction and a high stability (the higher the stability the less stamina you use when blocking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

Two silly questions:

- how can you hit anything with a crossbow? I use a short bow as it has an aiming mode, but crossbows do not seem to have it..

- When you buy spells from 'the vendor', there is a number of uses listed - does that mean I can use the spell X times between rests, or that after X uses I have to buy it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

crossbow, you lock on to enemies and fire that way - no aiming mode iirc

correct with first regarding spells - use the spell x times between rests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ambrotos

Also, you can buy/find some spells/miracles etc. more than one time, and thus you can attune them to more than one attunement slot. If you do this, you can cast the spell more times before resting. This is, as far as I know, the only way to increase the usages of a spell.

Ambrotos wrote: »
    Also, you can buy/find some spells/miracles etc. more than one time, and thus you can attune them to more than one attunement slot. If you do this, you can cast the spell more times before resting. This is, as far as I know, the only way to increase the usages of a spell.

You can indeed. Although in some cases it might take a second playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Ambrotos wrote: »
    Magic isn't particularly stong in Dark Souls
    At lower levels this is true and it can be quite tough-going with a magic-based build early on. However by about SL40 a magic build can be quite effective and beyond that (by about SL70+) very powerful.

Heres a magic build SL44 capable of wielding Soul Spear and Homing Soul Mass. However you would need to have
    freed Logan
    in Sens Fortress to have access to those spells.

Early on you would need to get some Green Titanite asap (easier if you have the Master Key) so you can create a Magic weapon which will make melee a lot more potent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I decided to play this game - no idea why - I normally detest "hard" infuriating games like Ninja Gaiden but ...

Quite enjoying it - not sure it's as great as everyone is claiming, the stripped back RPG (no map etc.) I'm not sure makes the game any better, and lots of the game seems pretty hard to understand and is pretty impenetrable if you try to figure out how to play it just looking as the game - I guess I'm one of those people who just doesn't "naturally" know that on a system that ranks things "A", "B", "C", "D" - then "S" is obviously the best :confused:

The game certainly tries its best to be hard - I mean unkillable enemies! areas that poison you!, areas where you can't see anything, curses :( but

Overall though it's quite good - it's certainly not as hard as everyone has been claiming - I just played through blighttown for the first time - no deaths including the last boss - fair enough I had been told about and prepared for the toxins but I was still happy.

I just started a new level 1 pyro - have managed to get to and kill Sif still at level 1 leaving the other bosses intact :)

So yea - pretty good game - does the difficulty ramp up massively after ringing the 2 bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

pH wrote: »
    does the difficulty ramp up massively after ringing the 2 bells?

Somewhat, mainly the bosses though.

The game becomes significantly more difficult in NG, so if you are not finding it a challenge, try to stay as low level as you can and wait for NG.

What enemy is unkillable? Everything in the game is, except for some small scripted exceptions iirc.

Well mainly annoyed after today's session. Had to waste 4 humanity on that spider boss in blightown, just BECOUSE she used some cheap **** or stuck in one section with surrounded lava.

Got her killed and **** all usefull loot. Started going up after amd got to dragon valley. Ranged that bone crap. Amd then how the deck do I get near that lighting asshole o such narrow path...

Anyway went to some cursed place and got quite far in there. Those ghost can be an arse. Then some lighting asshole ghost just ganged o me and raped. 8k souls down the drain as there is no way I am able to get there by not dieng.

Wasted around 30k souls on death just by **** like that :(. Any point even going down that cursed ghost place? I went so far in amd. I bonfire there. Domt want to waste another hour there just to be dead on some cheap " I am in the wall" gang bang. Or do I head back to that opened gate?

Well mainly annoyed after today's session. Had to waste 4 humanity on that spider boss in blightown, just BECOUSE she used some cheap **** or stuck in one section with surrounded lava.

Got her killed and **** all usefull loot. Started going up after amd got to dragon valley. Ranged that bone crap. Amd then how the deck do I get near that lighting asshole o such narrow path...

Anyway went to some cursed place and got quite far in there. Those ghost can be an arse. Then some lighting asshole ghost just ganged o me and raped. 8k souls down the drain as there is no way I am able to get there by not dieng.

Wasted around 30k souls on death just by **** like that :(. Any point even going down that cursed ghost place? I went so far in amd. I bonfire there. Domt want to waste another hour there just to be dead on some cheap " I am in the wall" gang bang. Or do I head back to that opened gate?

Theres a rather sexy route straight back to Firelink Shrine from he beginning of New Londo Ruins (Ghosts).

I was so delighted to to reach it after Blighttown, never did that Firelink music give me such relief.

• Advertisement

My advice is to continue past the the spider woman boss and ring the second bell just past her. There's also a new covenent there behind one of the walls. I think I went back to the catacombs after blight town. Make sure you have a divine weapon. New Londo Ruins is quite tough and the boss is one of the hardest in the game. The area after the spider boss has some horrible bosses as well, best wait until later. If you've got a divine weapon then the catacombs and Giants Tomb shouldn't be too tough.

Advertisement