Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    My advice is to continue past the the spider woman boss and ring the second bell just past her. There's also a new covenent there behind one of the walls. I think I went back to the catacombs after blight town. Make sure you have a divine weapon. New Londo Ruins is quite tough and the boss is one of the hardest in the game. The area after the spider boss has some horrible bosses as well, best wait until later. If you've got a divine weapon then the catacombs and Giants Tomb shouldn't be too tough.

Well cheers m8, but you just said alot on name locations, which does not tell me a decking thing! :)

I found that route up alright, but bonfire is not working. Plus that ****er tried to kill me when I went back down. I got a bit down that ghostly place, but then just got to some elevator shaft, which I can't use, some locked gate on side too. So I just gone back up and went to that smith where gate opened.

I got one of those green titanite yokes and ca make a divine weapon. Dunno if I want to make my trusty balder side sword +5 a divine weapon. I am afraid it I'll **** it up... It's the only weapon Use and don't have back up! I am mainly dex amd endurance built.

Btw some weird head was at that starting area!!! I legged it as I had 11k souls as I was not chancing it, it's dark flipping souls after all, even farra can kill ya here...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd turn a crappy weapon you don't mean to use into a divine weapon and head to the catacombs then. You'll only need it for that section of the game really. You can do it without a divine weapon, I did, but it's a lot harder. It's behind firelink shrine where the skellies are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Alternatively, you can get Astora's Straight Sword just after Blightown in the Valley of Drakes. It's guarded by a dormant Undead Dragon. He goes down easily to fire or you can just grab it and run as you'll have a few second before he starts spewing poison at you.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Alternatively, you can get Astora's Straight Sword just after Blightown in the Valley of Drakes. It's guarded by a dormant Undead Dragon. He goes down easily to fire or you can just grab it and run as you'll have a few second before he starts spewing poison at you.

i got that yoke, but i cant use it. i need 3 more faith i think... so thats devine weapon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yeah. I could be wrong but you could try killing the necromancers instead of using a divine weapons. However, skeletons don't stay down for long.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Killing the necromancers works but it's a chore and you usually kill one necromancer before being swamped by skellies. At least they stay down once you kill them and only the skellies respawn and can't be resurrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I'd do Sens Fortress and Anor Londo next if you have rung both bells. Getting to the Giant blacksmith is usually a high priority for a number of reasons. Also having the Lordvessel asap is a must imo.

Well. I will see what I will do next tommorow. I will need to farm few souls outside that big opened gate. Need some bolts as I ran out in blightown.

So I got that red robe looking armor. Chest and legs are great though I am still using wonderers gloves and gargoyle head. The other good thing - I found some ring that boosts my carried weight to 93. I might try to get quarter of carried weight now so I get evenpre agile!

There was underground way to go to after spider boss in blightown. Where does that lead to? Is there a point to exploring dragon ravine or what's its called? With those lightning blue dragons? Any tips how to handle them? That lighting hits like a fick truck!!!

The underground section after the spider boss leads to the second bell, well worth going down there and ringing it since it opens the way to Sen's Fortress near the blacksmith. There's also a covenant hidden there and it leads to another very tough area.

As for Valley of the Drakes, there's no point going there except to kill the big undead dragon, you'll find an easier way to get the loot where the blue dragons are later.

I did rang the bell, I just did not continued down the web path. Did. Of looked welcoming with 20k souls in pocket!

I am at blacksmith now, like I said I'll do some farming now.

Do I go to sen fortress or do I go to that web place. I could not find where to go in that ghost place.

Btw in forest there was some door I could not open. It says some contraption opens it...

• Advertisement

Think you buy the key form the blacksmith for the door, costs a bomb and that place is quite high level. A tip for you is there's a secret wall beside it that leads to a bonfire if you've not found it already.

I'd go to Sen's Fortress or the Catacombs first.

20k I guess that will be most expencive rape I ever buy? :D

Well ill go to fortress. Really want some change from all that underground stuff.

I just wonder how much of ge I have completed? I am level 43 with just both bells done.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

20k I guess that will be most expencive rape I ever buy? :D

Well ill go to fortress. Really want some change from all that underground stuff.

I just wonder how much of ge I have completed? I am level 43 with just both bells done.

The 20000 souls is worth it, as the area opened is brilliant for farming and you can gain back the 20000 in around 10 minutes if you know what you are doing.

I never go to the catacombs until after Sen's Fortress and Anor Londo, which come after Sen's. It's only good to go to if you want to kindle bonfires to 20 Estus, which isn't necessary until the end of the game.

I would say you have less than half the game completed, maybe around one third.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Btw in forest there was some door I could not open. It says some contraption opens it...

The "contraption" costs 20K souls from the blacksmith back a bit - buy it, best 20K you can spend in that game. You will get your 20K souls back and more in about 10 mins. After that - all profit. Serious levelling spot.

EDIT Didn't see OldManJenkins' post - saw yours and thought spend the 20K on the door opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Today was the first chance I've honestly had to play the game since December.
    And... I finally finished it. Took 60hours, and 75 levels and I'm finally done.

I turned it on today with just Nito and Bed of Chaos to beat (although I didn't actually know this). Bed Of Chaos took a couple of goes to realise what I was meant to be doing. When I saw the size of Nito, I just went Iron Flesh and let him have it, hoped for the best and came out on top.

Had some help on the final boss; he didn't last the fight, but definitely helped me out.
    I know it's not a story driven game, but I was quite underwhelmed by the ending
    I became the Dark Lord... accidently; research has since told me I walked towards the door, thus sealing my fate
    I would've liked an even slightly more drawn out cinematic

I'd say Painted World and Sens Fortress are the best areas I played. Smough & Ornstein easily the best boss.

Didn't like the Duke's Archives to be honest, Crystal Lads are fierce annoying. Tombs Of The Giants caused me the most grief, and souls

Best NPC? Easily Solaire! Although I'm confident I didn't fully finish his quest. He was very upset by Lost Izalith last time I saw him.

Straight back into new game, took me all of an hour to get Taurus, Belfry Gargoyles and Moonlight Butterfly down. Think I'll head for the second bell next, just to get Blighttown out of the way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Cannot kill the four kings as a level 1 :(

Had them down to 10% health twice, but the run down is a pain and slow (if you are going to summon the witch).

All the "cheesy" ways of killing them seem to have been patched out of 1.05 (Crystal shield/iron flesh).

Does anyone know if the game increases the boss difficulty if you attempt them with a summoned player, or is it always easier with a co-op partner ( yes I know finding another level 1/2 who can help might not be easy!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 olden

pH wrote: »
    Cannot kill the four kings as a level 1 :(

Had them down to 10% health twice, but the run down is a pain and slow (if you are going to summon the witch).

All the "cheesy" ways of killing them seem to have been patched out of 1.05 (Crystal shield/iron flesh).

Does anyone know if the game increases the boss difficulty if you attempt them with a summoned player, or is it always easier with a co-op partner ( yes I know finding another level 1/2 who can help might not be easy!)

I find the problem with 4Kings is the approach From took in designing the fight. For all other bosses and enemies a healthy mixture of patience, timing and skill is the recipe for victory.

4Kings on the other hand is a straight up DPS race to pummel him down before you get overwhelmed.

I don't know if the bosses difficulty is increased with each summon. I hear different stories from different people. I would recommend getting as many summons as you can since the increased DPS will most likely outweigh any increase in difficulty.

Cannot kill the four kings as a level 1 :(!)
    Hardcore!!!

I did see a video of a guy killing the Four Kings at a low level. He'd basically memorized the patterns and had every roll down to the milisecond. The big magic AOE attacks are the real killers though.
    Difficulty does not increase with summoned players.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

penev10 wrote: »

Difficulty does not increase with summoned players.

I thought I read somewhere that Four Kings was ax exception

I know it's not a story driven game, but I was quite underwhelmed by the ending
    I became the Dark Lord... accidently; research has since told me I walked towards the door, thus sealing my fate
    I would've liked an even slightly more drawn out cinematic

If you were following the story of the game then you got
    the good ending.
    There's actually quite a lot of story in the game it's just that like with Half-Life 2 and Left 4 Dead as an example it's all told through incidental details that you can easily miss.

Well done on beating it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

I'm finding Anor Londo tough. Have been just rushing to bosses from bonfire (via shortcut through unlocked door behind spiral stairs) as it takes too long to fight my way there. I bypass those two giants. I've one humanity left and not sure I'll have time to summon anyone with the giants after me so trying to keep it for ultimate desperation. Never really developed my character for pyromancy so hacking at the two bosses with a Drake Sword. Any tips?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm finding Anor Londo tough. Have been just rushing to bosses from bonfire (via shortcut through unlocked door behind spiral stairs) as it takes too long to fight my way there. I bypass those two giants. I've one humanity left and not sure I'll have time to summon anyone with the giants after me so trying to keep it for ultimate desperation. Never really developed my character for pyromancy so hacking at the two bosses with a Drake Sword. Any tips?!

If you use that humanity and get your body back then outside the bossroom you can find Solatire's summon sign on the left hand stairs in the hall (the stairs leading to the balcony).

Very useful to have the distraction. Probably the best boss fight in the game I have to say. Love the music, the stlye everything.

Well I am of for a nice relaxing game of dark souls.

Damn, that even sounds wrOng. Will go and farm 20k souls for that key.

noodler wrote: »
    Very useful to have the distraction. Probably the best boss fight in the game I have to say. Love the music, the stlye everything.

Definitely the one that gave me the most trouble but yes, by far the best and most challenging in the game. Even when I did beat him with 2 summoned players helping me it was an epic fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i must have beat the 2 bosses (orstain and smough - spelling :P ) about 20 times. i like getting summoned at the bridge and fighting my way through that level. the hardest part i find is the rafters. often fall off there.

it is a great boss battle. i think if you keep your fire/magic for which ever one is left it makes it easier. lightening smough is a tough enemy !!

i now have 300 hrs played on the game :eek: , but only play it at the weekends after the pub !

Got that 20k souls. Was farming those moss giants. Got oiss shield and great sword in process. It's a shame I am dex build :(.

That area is interesting to say the least! So I will just ask few questions about it:

A) do all mobs respawn there
    B) wtf is holding me back from farming the living bejesus out of them?!?!

Edit: flipping iPhone auto Spelling crap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

Got that 20k souls. Was faing those moss giants. Got oiss shield and great sword in process. It's a shame I am dex build :(.

That area is interesting to say the least! So I will just ask few questions about it:

A) do all mobs respawn there
    B) wtf is holding me back from farming the living bejesus out of them?!?!

Edit: flipping iPhone auto Spelling crap!!!

Almost all the enemies there respawn, the Semi-Invisible Knight can only be killed twice, and there is an archer that can only be killed once, and drops its bow and hat. The people who respawn are the Sorcerer, the Semi-Invisible Thief, the Cleric and the Bandit. Killing all the will harvest 7000 souls each time, the only time you can't kill them is if you join the Forest Hunter Covenant, which you can join if you talk to the Cat in the ruined tower up the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

In the forest area you can do some serious farming. Head in through the arch down the stairs and do a clockwise loop around the immediate area. Four characters will follow you. Head back to where you entered the area but instead of going up the steps go along to the right of them - right into the corner. The four that are following you will go up the stairs and try to jump down to you - falling off the cliff to their deaths and 7000 souls to you. Rince and repeat as you will!

Issac wrote: »
    In the forest area you can do some serious farming. Head in through the arch down the stairs and do a clockwise loop around the immediate area. Four characters will follow you. Head back to where you entered the area but instead of going up the steps go along to the right of them - right into the corner. The four that are following you will go up the stairs and try to jump down to you - falling off the cliff to their deaths and 7000 souls to you. Rince and repeat as you will!

That's just dirty! I like it :D

• Advertisement

It's a shame I am dex build :(.
    Get thee to the Giant Blacksmith and get Quelaags Furysword. Excellent mid-level weapon for DEX characters.

BTW dont level up too much beyond 45 as it will be harder to summon helpers for the Anor Londo bosses.

Advertisement