Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

think I went full havels armour for the 4 kings - wore the +def vs physical also, as had enough end to run without havels ring. 2 handed my lightning bastard sword and wailed away. Got them 3rd, maybe 4th (or 5th...) attempt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

tok9 wrote: »
    Ok good stuff, i see your already on my friends list too. Let me know if you need a hand. Not sure how the online works but you'll prob have to gain a few more levels first

I have a feeling this game doesnt want you to coop with people on your friends list. More than once i have put down my SS in an obscure location to help someone else on my F-list and they cant see my sign. I wonder how exactly the game determines whos signs you see and whos you dont. Oh and we where very close on SL so thats ruled out...

I wish they would release the patch. Its been out in Japan like 4 days now. I have put off playing this till then and playing Uncharted 3 multiplayer but i think its run its course...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

a fellow i met playing with offered to help me if i needed it again, was within 10 soul levels, met at the right place but could not see his summon sign . who knows what the parameters are to see others summon signs.

i am in the painted world, and human, have 1 humanity left. tried it myself for a bit , but died at the spinning skeletons down the basement. managed to kill the dragon on the bridge with about 150 arrows :pac:

have died a few times since, so decided to use one of my humanity's, but am having trouble summoning. plenty of signs down, just keep getting summoning failed. don't want to waste this life so paused it for a bit and hopefully it will be better in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

2smiggy wrote: »
    a fellow i met playing with offered to help me if i needed it again, was within 10 soul levels, met at the right place but could not see his summon sign . who knows what the parameters are to see others summon signs.

i am in the painted world, and human, have 1 humanity left. tried it myself for a bit , but died at the spinning skeletons down the basement. managed to kill the dragon on the bridge with about 150 arrows :pac:

have died a few times since, so decided to use one of my humanity's, but am having trouble summoning. plenty of signs down, just keep getting summoning failed. don't want to waste this life so paused it for a bit and hopefully it will be better in a while.

No easy answer for the spinners, there are two ways to get down there and I reccommend the ladder rather then the route via the well.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

I have a feeling this game doesnt want you to coop with people on your friends list. More than once i have put down my SS in an obscure location to help someone else on my F-list and they cant see my sign. I wonder how exactly the game determines whos signs you see and whos you dont. Oh and we where very close on SL so thats ruled out...

I wish they would release the patch. Its been out in Japan like 4 days now. I have put off playing this till then and playing Uncharted 3 multiplayer but i think its run its course...

Apparently the patch made things worse with online. Has been talk that we might just get 1.05 and not 1.04 inbetween.

• Advertisement

i must find the ladder, because i went down the well the one time i went down (could not even find the well last run around !!)

i have a bad sense of direction, even in video games !

still i did kindle the bonfire since also, i'd imagine 10 flasks should take me through once i figure out where to go. also should help who ever i manage to summon.

on a different note, i am wondering if the big swords are worth saving up strength for ? i have strength 20 now, just getting my dex to 20 also to use a knight sword, and also the dragon bow i think. some people seem to think its a waste pumping souls into strength

Razleavy wrote: »
    Apparently the patch made things worse with online. Has been talk that we might just get 1.05 and not 1.04 inbetween.

was it just asia that got the patch ?

perhaps that may be what is wrong with the summoning and it failing alot ?

i played with a fair few Japanese being summoned. Any time we manage to beat a boss a message , in Japanese, i say i only speak english, then i get a nice thank you note in english :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I read somethign official (maybe in the guide) that you only interact with people on the same server as you and it's pretty random which server you get on (due to load balancing I'd imagine)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

hated those spinny feckers too :( very tight down there, so hard to dodge em

no advice really other then what you're trying to do already.. lure em one at a time, dodge em, and get them from behind as they spin up against the wall. Pyromancy was good for that iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

It's seems to be a system of different servers which would make sense. You would have to be on the same server as a friend to see his SS and vice versa.

One way around it is supposedly the miracle that boosts the ability to see messages and SS's. When you use it it basically changes what server you're on so you can use it until you find the correct server the friend would be on and find his SS.

Alot of effort though...

I haven't played in awhile myself, been playing BF3 and UC3 also!! Getting the urge back though, going to reroll with the patch and make a Grant STR/FAI build and join Dark Wraiths!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The spinny bastards are little ****s, most certainly. If there's one thing that indicates extreme difficulty in games, it's an enemy that spins around. Ikaruga, Hard Corps Uprising and many others have difficulty curves when it comes to bad guys with a circumference.

If you go down the ladder in the well, you can lure them out one by one. They're shrouded by darkness, but inch forward and you should be OK and able to take the hit. Problem with them is they can just randomly get a dead on hit and suck your stamina away in one foul swoop.

Oh, there's a rare pyromancy down that well too, if you don't get lost, which is surprisingly easy despite the small surface area.

The spinny bastards are little ****s, most certainly. If there's one thing that indicates extreme difficulty in games, it's an enemy that spins around. Ikaruga, Hard Corps Uprising and many others have difficulty curves when it comes to bad guys with a circumference.

If you go down the ladder in the well, you can lure them out one by one. They're shrouded by darkness, but inch forward and you should be OK and able to take the hit. Problem with them is they can just randomly get a dead on hit and suck your stamina away in one foul swoop.

Oh, there's a rare pyromancy down that well too, if you don't get lost, which is surprisingly easy despite the small surface area.

is the pyromancy spell worth finding ? found the acid mist one already. might have uses against heavily armored enemies. will see when i get out of this place. might chance it again before the next NFL game :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just got it because I needed to complete the set! Drifted away from Pyromancy at the end of the game for just straight sorcery and a +5 fire Halberd for all my flame needs - I preferred having my crystal ring shield in reserve, and there's only so many attunement slots one can utilise! Poison Mist can be very handy though. Think the sewer one is one of the more powerful straight up fire spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Finished this in 110 hours im level 89 and am ploughing through new game so far im 81 in trophy percentage :-)

69 hours in , level 59, have passed anor londo, sif, butterfly, and hydra.

after i get out of the painted world where is best to ? i presume i have a fair bit to go yet !!

i have been doing an awful lot of getting summoned though ! very enjoyable. i am in the the chaos coenant (spider lady stuck in the wall) , was thinking of leaving to join the cats one. but i have +15 pyro, and i have given her about 8 humanity. i think there is a spell for 20 humanity. its alot of effort though

When you get down into the Tomb of Giants, there's an area where a load of tiny little skeletons constantly respawn. They drop humanity relatively regularly. Spend around twenty minutes there and you'll get the 30 humanity you need to get the Chaos Pyromancy. They drop souls too so it's a very rewarding farming spot (and thanks to however gave the tip earlier in the thread!). If you're into that sort of thing, of course - it's one of only two spots I spent anytime farming in.

Unfortunately, using all those humanities and then offering each of them individually to spider lady is a long, repetitive ten minutes.

Think my final tally of hours was just under sixty, and level in the mid 70s. SL would have been higher if I hadn't stocked up on every sorcery and pyromancy merchants had to offer :pac:

grrrrrr , game froze , hope my humanity is not gone on restart :(

me and another lad going fairly well too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wossack wrote: »
    hated those spinny feckers too :( very tight down there, so hard to dodge em

no advice really other then what you're trying to do already.. lure em one at a time, dodge em, and get them from behind as they spin up against the wall. Pyromancy was good for that iirc

Equip your highest stability shield and just block until their attack is over. If you have one over 80, you can just stand and block even as several attack you.

noodler wrote: »
    Badly need some 4 kings help.

Kept hearing about how easy they were but I can hardly make a dent in the first one before I get one hit-ed.

Is it worth using a purely magic shield?

Thats all I have, a pure physical or pure magic, no compromise.

Not sure if I'll be much help on this. You can attack with the spear while blocking with a shield at the same time. If you have the stamina, you never take damage. Thats what I did here. I had absolutely no problems so it must just be my build. I wasn't that quick in killing them....and I was worried because people mentioned being ganged up on..... but I only ever had to fight one at a time. Just manage your stamina, keep your shield up and keep stabbing with the spear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Kirby wrote: »

Not sure if I'll be much help on this. You can attack with the spear while blocking with a shield at the same time. If you have the stamina, you never take damage. Thats what I did here. I had absolutely no problems so it must just be my build. I wasn't that quick in killing them....and I was worried because people mentioned being ganged up on..... but I only ever had to fight one at a time. Just manage your stamina, keep your shield up and keep stabbing with the spear.

Thats a bad, bad strategy for 4 kings man. What you need to do is forget about the shield at all and rush down the first one. Weild your strongest weapon 2 handed for max damage, maybe wear grass crest shiled on your back for stamina regen too. Whack away at him up close, to the side to avoid his grab attack, as his up close attacks do puny amounts of damage. Get him killed before number 2 shows up, rinse, repeat.

Like I said, I see alot of people say twohanded is the way to go with four kings but I can only go on what I experienced.

I did the four kings on my first go, taking one at a time with the lightning spear. Shield up and poke. The damage on it doesn't scale, so your characters level is irrelevant meaning anyone can do it.

Maybe I got lucky...I dunno.... but I killed them one by one with a minimum of fuss. I never got surrounded and I wasn't that quick. If you don't move around alot, they ignore you and you can focus down one at a time.

I understand the thinking behind going two-handed for speed or if they had unblockable attacks.......but I blocked their stuff fine.

I suppose the amount of time you spend on a boss would give a person more insight. I could give you a detailed plan on how to kill Smough/Ornstein for example.....because I died the most on them. But the fights you blow through first go would seem less of a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Would be interested in hearing peoples stats at the end of the game. I beat the final boss (but by no means completed the game) on Friday night... Think I was around Soul Level 77, took me about 45 hours to complete the thing.

I bought the guide, which is lovely, and looked through it upon completion for my new game +... I missed out on loads of stuff. Couple of Covenants, a few areas (:eek:), optional bosses, etc. So much to do in this game.

Oh, lol at the Asylum Demon in NG+, I destroyed him :)

Would be interested in hearing peoples stats at the end of the game. I beat the final boss (but by no means completed the game) on Friday night... Think I was around Soul Level 77, took me about 45 hours to complete the thing.

I bought the guide, which is lovely, and looked through it upon completion for my new game +... I missed out on loads of stuff. Couple of Covenants, a few areas (:eek:), optional bosses, etc. So much to do in this game.

Oh, lol at the Asylum Demon in NG+, I destroyed him :)

I'm pretty sure I was level 99 on the last boss. I'm more than that now on NG+ but it was around that ballpark. Guessing but off the top of my head in no particular order.

36 vit
    40 str
    40 end
    20 dex
    12 attunement
    11 Int
    20 faith

Started as the Wanderer and ended up using Lightning spear/Quelaggs fire sword/ Dragon tooth/composite lightning bow weapons with mainly Artorias Greatshield. Also a combination of Gold-hemmed and Havel's armour.

I think I actually hit all the bosses. Optional ones like the Butterfly I found rather early.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Like I said, I see alot of people say twohanded is the way to go with four kings but I can only go on what I experienced.

I did the four kings on my first go, taking one at a time with the lightning spear. Shield up and poke. The damage on it doesn't scale, so your characters level is irrelevant meaning anyone can do it.

Maybe I got lucky...I dunno.... but I killed them one by one with a minimum of fuss. I never got surrounded and I wasn't that quick. If you don't move around alot, they ignore you and you can focus down one at a time.

I understand the thinking behind going two-handed for speed or if they had unblockable attacks.......but I blocked their stuff fine.

I suppose the amount of time you spend on a boss would give a person more insight. I could give you a detailed plan on how to kill Smough/Ornstein for example.....because I died the most on them. But the fights you blow through first go would seem less of a problem.

I'm not sure what you were doing but whenever i blocked with my Greatshield of Artorias +5, they damaged me nearly as much when i didn't use the shield.

I took no damage. did you have 40 stamina? The only thing that hurt me was the grab. You can avoid that easy enough after the first time it hits you.

I took no damage. did you have 40 stamina? The only thing that hurt me was the grab. You can avoid that easy enough after the first time it hits you.

No my highest stat is strength at 34. My END is about 25 or 26 I'd be thinking.

Maybe that was is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

When i am playing the game i sometimes see white circles. What are these?

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    When i am playing the game i sometimes see white circles. What are these?

I assume your talking about the targeting system?

When your fighting an enemy press r3 (i think) and the circle will lock on to the nearest enemy

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭GOOSEPAUL

tok9 wrote: »
    I assume your talking about the targeting system?

When your fighting an enemy press r3 (i think) and the circle will lock on to the nearest enemy

No, I know how to target stuff :p. There are small white circles on the ground and when i walk up to one my heal spell has a white circle on it. not sure what they are

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I was actually having trouble making contact with the Four Kings on a regular basis - I wonder is it something to do with the Halbred?

Will probably get another attempt in on the feckers tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

GOOSEPAUL wrote: »
    No, I know how to target stuff :p. There are small white circles on the ground and when i walk up to one my heal spell has a white circle on it. not sure what they are
    They're resonance thingys. When someone on your server uses a miracle it leaves behind a circle in other peoples worlds and if you use a miracle near it you get a bonus (more powerful miracle I gather)

Not sure of the specifics as I don't use miracles.

From a Wiki:
    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Online#Online-Miracle Resonance

Advertisement