Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

noodler wrote: »
    Red sign soapstone - not the same thing.

Yeah i though the same thing at first, until i tried use the fecking thing. Just drops sign that people can summon you to there world if they wanna have a scrap. I might drop it at boss areas/bonfires for a laugh. Noobs will summon me thinking im coming to help with a boss :D
    penev10 wrote: »
    Got the Moonlight Butterfly Horn - what a load of cack! With a INT of 32 it only gives me 110 + 64(B scaling) magic attack! Useless, my Magic Battle Axe +5 gives me a total attack of 360.

If the Enchanted upgrade path is B scaling for most wepaons it isn't worth pursuing.

Sure i coulda told it was crap :P If they actually do fix scaling in the next patch it might become decent. Who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Yeah i though the same thing at first, until i tried use the fecking thing. Just drops sign that people can summon you to there world if they wanna have a scrap. I might drop it at boss areas/bonfires for a laugh. Noobs will summon me thinking im coming to help with a boss :D

The sign appears as a red summon sign in other players worlds and is called a dark spirit when you summon the person, i summoned one before the bed of chaos boss. I stood behind him and gave him a massive slash of my sword , finished him off a minute later with a back attack :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

penev10 wrote: »
    Got the Moonlight Butterfly Horn - what a load of cack! With a INT of 32 it only gives me 110 + 64(B scaling) magic attack! Useless, my Magic Battle Axe +5 gives me a total attack of 360.

If the Enchanted upgrade path is B scaling for most wepaons it isn't worth pursuing.

The shield from the butterfly does 4 times that damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Sure i coulda told it was crap :P If they actually do fix scaling in the next patch it might become decent. Who knows

Yeah, kinda knew I was making a bad move when I checked the stats at the blacksmith - but it looks cool :D Fingers crossed for a scaling boost in the patch!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Not for long. It simply has to be patched at some point.

Whatever about the mistakes in Str and Dex weapons compared to elemental weapons......which is a bad mistake.....I'm amazed that the moonlight shield made it through testing. Nothing else does that much damage in one hit and can be used with every possible build.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OldManJenkin

Some great multiplayer action at Kiln Of The First Flame, got invaded 3 times and I invaded once, but the lag made the fighting pretty tough.

I always knew you had a choice to be good or bad at the end, but I had no idea which was which and ended up picking the bad one by accident :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

So trade it in then. After reading your post about the Capra demon i replied as did various other people with tips on how to beat him, and you did beat him and everyone was overjoyed thanking you post, yay! This game doesnt require farming. Its not an RPG where at some bosses/areas you need to be a certain level to compete with the boss. Dark Souls isnt for everyone and it will test your patience. But if you dont have any patience or you simply arnt very good at the game then yes you will be frustrated.

Sorry I know this is the 2nd time I've had a frustrated rant about this:( but I still keep going back. I just don't want it to beat me. I went back to it again yesterday and thanks to a Youtube vid I found a fantastic area for farming souls. I decided to save up souls in the Darkroot Forest so that I would have enough for the Crest of Artorias. Once inside this is what I did

http://youtu.be/kKVB4sL4Sxg

This is gonna save me LOADS of time:D That's it. I'm gonna beat this thing, no more empty trade-in threats:cool: I got the Drake Sword, The Black Knight Halberd, The Elite Knight armor and the Boar Fang helm. I'll level up well at this farming spot and go kick the Hydra's ass.

Are you talking about the first or second Hydra?

The one at Darkroot Basin or the one at Ash Lake?

The one at Darkroot is easy because there is a save rock for you to hide behind, when he tries to physical attack with heads then break cover and try to take a head out with your strongest weapon.

Rinse and repeat until he has no heads left. At this stage he will have very little HP and I just finished him with a bow.

The one at Darkroot Basin. I just kept on getting GOZZLED by his projectiles. Cheers for the tip BTW;)

Sorry I know this is the 2nd time I've had a frustrated rant about this:( but I still keep going back. I just don't want it to beat me. I went back to it again yesterday and thanks to a Youtube vid I found a fantastic area for farming souls. I decided to save up souls in the Darkroot Forest so that I would have enough for the Crest of Artorias. Once inside this is what I did

http://youtu.be/kKVB4sL4Sxg

This is gonna save me LOADS of time:D That's it. I'm gonna beat this thing, no more empty trade-in threats:cool: I got the Drake Sword, The Black Knight Halberd, The Elite Knight armor and the Boar Fang helm. I'll level up well at this farming spot and go kick the Hydra's ass.

The one at Darkroot Basin. I just kept on getting GOZZLED by his projectiles. Cheers for the tip BTW;)

So farm if you must. Make sure you are upgrading your weapons at the blacksmith. Upgrading your weapon is the best way to get more damage, STR and DEX will increase your damage, but not as much as upgrading. Plus upgrading is cheaper souls wise so you can still spend the majority of your souls on. The elite knight armour is one of the best armour sets in the game. Has a great balance between defence, poise and weight and is very cheap to upgrade.

As for the Hydra, run straight across from him when he is shooting and jump/roll when the water balls almost hit. After the globes land run straight at him. Then as you see him loading up another volley change your run 90 degree and run straight across him again. Take your clothes off if need be as Elite Knight armour is heavy and you will be moving very slow. Then re-equip it when your in the shallows. When you in the water the fight gets easy mode. Just shield up and make sure you have the stamina to take a hit. And dont walk to close or you will fall into the deep end of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

after passing sens fortress, now just helping with a few iron golem fights been summoned. one of the easier bosses.

will i head to anor londo or is it worth going back to the shire to big hat logan for some of his new spells ?

i love my new lightening spear BTW :D

i know its over powered , but i am not great at games and its nice to be able to kill them lizards etc easier !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Nearly finished my first playthrough, all ive left is to go through the tomb of giants ( did it already so should be easy ) and sort out the boss. Then off to the last area. Getting good at beating invaders now, killed the last 3 with my maxed out Zweihander (lightning damage ) . Ive put over 100 hours into my first playthrough first and im lvl 84 , ive every pyro and magic spell obtained only a few miracles to get . Only 3 convenants left to experience and enough materials to make the weapons i need bar the red slab ( must slaughter more chaos bugs ).

Theres a good event line in the game, its Siegmeyer of , it has 3 possible endings. The best ending has a titan slab up for grabs. Cant wait to finish the game and start NG+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Invaders seem not to bother with shields and my weapons still don't connect.

Really annoying.

Also, sometimes I strike and although there was no damager done - I take fire damage.

And for the 2nd time in as many days, someone critical'd me from behind in POainted World despite looking like they were on front of me.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Invaders seem not to bother with shields and my weapons still don't connect.

Really annoying.

Also, sometimes I strike and although there was no damager done - I take fire damage.

And for the 2nd time in as many days, someone critical'd me from behind in POainted World despite looking like they were on front of me.

Sigh.

Ya the same tends to happen to me. I hope it can be patched, otherwise I haven't a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

So farm if you must. Make sure you are upgrading your weapons at the blacksmith. Upgrading your weapon is the best way to get more damage, STR and DEX will increase your damage, but not as much as upgrading. Plus upgrading is cheaper souls wise so you can still spend the majority of your souls on. The elite knight armour is one of the best armour sets in the game. Has a great balance between defence, poise and weight and is very cheap to upgrade.

As for the Hydra, run straight across from him when he is shooting and jump/roll when the water balls almost hit. After the globes land run straight at him. Then as you see him loading up another volley change your run 90 degree and run straight across him again. Take your clothes off if need be as Elite Knight armour is heavy and you will be moving very slow. Then re-equip it when your in the shallows. When you in the water the fight gets easy mode. Just shield up and make sure you have the stamina to take a hit. And dont walk to close or you will fall into the deep end of the water.

I've levelled up all my armor, weapons and shield as high as I could. I got myself to a good level and I hid behind the rock and tree so his fireballs wouldn't do any damage. I rolled out as soon as he fired a shot in order to goad him into his head plunge attack. When he done this I just rolled out and hacked at his heads. When I got him to down to his last head I just peppered him to death with arrows, just as Noodler suggested;) Cheers for that Noodler. After I killed it I killed the Crystal giant along to the left hand side of the lake and released Dusk of Oolacille. I went up the ladder and wandered into a place where I fought a large panther. Just as I was about to kill it two more panthers came out of nowhere and destroyed me:eek:

I got past the Capra Demon (easiest battle so far), opened some short cuts and made it to the depths. I was cursed by the frogs (:mad:) so I had to trudge all the way back to the priest at the Bell Tower to buy a few Purging Stones. I and my two summoned Knights Solitaire and Lautrec were owned first time out by the Gaping Dragon. My mistake was that I didn't go for his tail at the start. I'll have that Dragon taken down on Wednesday eve;)

has anyone as yet got the soul spear ? have to get intelligence to level 30 something to use , hardly worth it i'd imagine ?

where can i get the lad for upgrading the fire magic (pyro) ?

would be handy having hime back at the shire. its a long way down to the spider lady to upgrade, and no guarantee of getting down if i have farmed a god few souls without dying.

Have to say, think the Painted World is probably the best level in the game.

Really enjoyed, could have done with it not being optional though.

Shame to think some people might miss it.

On to the Valley of the Drakes, finally have a reasonable way of killing the feckers - my Raw Battle Axe +5 with two hands and R2 attacks will kill the Wyverns in 5 shots.

On to the Valley of the Drakes, finally have a reasonable way of killing the feckers - my Raw Battle Axe +5 with two hands and R2 attacks will kill the Wyverns in 5 shots.

Yeh these things used to annoy me. I equip a lightning resist shield and just walk up to them now. Dragon tooth+5 = 2 hits and dead. :D. Its refreshing because it takes like 20 with the lightning spear.

perhaps very cheap , but was summoned , beat the iron golem, and moved onto anor londo after using my humanity. beat the gargoyle, and was able to summon 2 players , they were savage, got me through the whole thing and showed me all the treasure. we were just outside the final boss and got invaded. he killed the other 2 but i managed to nearly kill him. he just commited suicide rather than let me finish him off. summoned 2 more and we killed the 2 bosses.

made massive progress today , even if the majority was with a massive amount of help.

great stuff indeed !!

the onlymistake i made was talking to the michelin man fellow back in the firelink, i was not paying attention ad he asked me a question and i said no not knowing the question.seems i missed out on a ring, is it important ??

savage game !! played battlefield for a bit, does not compare. dark souls great for a hungover day on the couch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

2smiggy wrote: »
    perhaps very cheap , but was summoned , beat the iron golem, and moved onto anor londo after using my humanity. beat the gargoyle, and was able to summon 2 players , they were savage, got me through the whole thing and showed me all the treasure. we were just outside the final boss and got invaded. he killed the other 2 but i managed to nearly kill him. he just commited suicide rather than let me finish him off. summoned 2 more and we killed the 2 bosses.

made massive progress today , even if the majority was with a massive amount of help.

great stuff indeed !!

the onlymistake i made was talking to the michelin man fellow back in the firelink, i was not paying attention ad he asked me a question and i said no not knowing the question.seems i missed out on a ring, is it important ??

savage game !! played battlefield for a bit, does not compare. dark souls great for a hungover day on the couch
    Well yes, they're two different genres. It's a bit like comparing going for a walk and skydiving. Makes no sense to

You didnt miss a ring, but a faith spell called "Emit Force". Worthless even for a faith build, unless your going for the get all miracles trophy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

has anyone as yet got the soul spear ? have to get intelligence to level 30 something to use , hardly worth it i'd imagine ?

where can i get the lad for upgrading the fire magic (pyro) ?

would be handy having hime back at the shire. its a long way down to the spider lady to upgrade, and no guarantee of getting down if i have farmed a god few souls without dying.

Soul Spear is OK, let down by its limited number of casts (4!). Does around 300-400 damage per hit on stronger enemies (takes three casts to bring down those giants in Lost Izliath, for example). TBH, you're better focusing on getting your hands on Homing Crystal Soulmass: 10 casts, 600-1000 damage per hit, considerably lower intelligent requirement :) Not sure if I'm going to bother doing the farming for Crystal Spear.

The strong pyromancer is in Blighttown, but you have to upgrade your Pyromancy Flame to +10 (I think) first using the egg guy in Quaellag's Domain, so it's an expensive business. I've bought all her spells, and they're OK, but I usually just fall back on my standard sorceries instead.

Also, anyone know the benefits of spending the hundreds of thousands souls it takes to get Pyromancer Flame +20 (or whatever?). Just seems like a lot of time and souls to spend! I'm trying to track down the few stray pyro spells I have left to get: have bought out all the merchants so there's obviously a few more hidden around the place.

• Advertisement

Well, just finished the game there and started ng+. Last boss is a bit of a wuss. I didn't even die once on him :(. Just blocked his attacks and hit him. And then he dies. Oh well.

Rung the first bell after around 15 mins in ng+ :p. hanging around the gargoyles now helping people with him. Been summoned to help kill gargoyles once already so I might wait a bit longer.

Well yes, they're two different genres. It's a bit like comparing going for a walk and skydiving. Makes no sense to

just saying battlefield/cod are th normal games i play, have about 240 hrs in both cod4 and mw2 , just nice to enjoy and play a different sort of game and enjoy it so much !!

addded bonus, the power is off in our office from 10 am to 4 pm tomorrow so no reason to go in , happy daze

addded bonus, the power is off in our office from 10 am to 4 pm tomorrow so no reason to go in , happy daze

Hah happened twice to me last week - on a temporary generator at the moment.

Kind of hoping that we get another day out of it when we eventually make the switch back to the main grid but always the chance I won't get paid for it!

How do I get in this painted world you talk about?

I know where it is, I just don't have the item.

Also i wish I got the butterfly shield instead of the crap weapon and I also wish i didn't get the astorias shield and got the sword instead :(

I've been making some great progress. Beat Ornstein and Smough with some help (It would have taken me ages to kill them otherwise i'd say) and went off and killed Seath very easily (crystal cave is confusing) and killed the 2 fire demons, forget the first one, basically a copy of the boss at the asylum with fire and the lava centipede or something like that. I didn't see anywhere else to go after him though?

I suppose tomb of the giants is next then!

Juggling between this, Batman and Battlefield is tough. Plus Uncharted is coming out and I already have a back log of games!

Great time to be a gamer, pity I have to work though :)

Patch notes are out for the forthcoming patch. Check em out here...

http://darksouls.fromsoftware.jp/online/

trollface.jpg?1296494117

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

What's the story with the online?

I picked up a heap of Humanities down in The Depths so used one and saw my first summons message. I invaded the world and was running around The Depths for ages looking for something to do.

All the enemies were frozen and I couldn't find anyone to kill or help. I couldn't leave either. I had to quit. Is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

tok9 wrote: »
    How do I get in this painted world you talk about?

I know where it is, I just don't have the item.

You get the item back in the starting asylum area, actually right back in the very starting room iirc - bit of a rigmarole getting there :)

Wossack wrote: »
    You get the item back in the starting asylum area, actually right back in the very starting room iirc - bit of a rigmarole getting there :)

Is going back to the asylum optional too? Or will i have to go soon anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

tok9 wrote: »
    Is going back to the asylum optional too? Or will i have to go soon anyway

optional alright yea :)

though, not sure how you've gotten so far without the rusted iron ring! (allows normal movement through water/swamps etc)

Advertisement