Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,278 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Invaded tonight for the first time in Andor Londo.

Hugely disappointing. My weapons went through the person without making a mark for the most part. He or she was hitting me (my shield anyway) with a dagger or meat cleaver without being near me, finally when we went face-to-face doing the stand off she just appeared behind me to do a critical.

I mean WTF? Like the poster a few posts back, does lag not work equally?

PvP is broken if people just appear behind you and get free crits.

How do you get from divine +5 to diving +6?

Andre isn't showing any options to do after getting me this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

noodler wrote: »
    How do you get from divine +5 to diving +6?

Andre isn't showing any options to do after getting me this far.

pretty sure it maxs at +5.

Edit: Actually nevermind, it can:P

You get the large divine ember in the tomb of giants, it lets you upgrade it from +5 to +10.

pretty sure it maxs at +5.

Edit: Actually nevermind, it can:P

You get the large divine ember in the tomb of giants, it lets you upgrade it from +5 to +10.

Thanks man, nice to know I can anyway.

Not at the tomb, have to finish the Andor Londo boss first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Polar101

Taurus demon dead on the 6th attempt (gives you an indication of my playing skills, this is going to be a long painful journey, I think). :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Invaded tonight for the first time in Andor Londo.

Hugely disappointing. My weapons went through the person without making a mark for the most part. He or she was hitting me (my shield anyway) with a dagger or meat cleaver without being near me, finally when we went face-to-face doing the stand off she just appeared behind me to do a critical.

I mean WTF? Like the poster a few posts back, does lag not work equally?

PvP is broken if people just appear behind you and get free crits.
    Same here... first time, Anor Londo - tonight! Also a bit laggy. I hit him with my axe whilst he was casting a miracle and nothing:mad: he was spamming some kind of force push thing which threw me off the edge:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Had a good session tonight, got all the magic spells, killed seath and got his tail, killed my first invader and am now in demon ruins at the fog gate wondering whats waiting for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Polar101 wrote: »
    Taurus demon dead on the 6th attempt (gives you an indication of my playing skills, this is going to be a long painful journey, I think). :o

Don't be discouraged. Thats actually good going mate. The early parts of the game are the toughest for many reasons.

Firstly, everything is new and difficult. Much harder than old and difficult :p.

At the start you don't know attack patterns or game mechanics. After a few hours you begin to get a pattern and feel of how to combat multiple enemies. You also learn how to spot weak spots of bosses making them easier. i.e. the ladder to jump on the taurus demon, the ledge for capra demon, the L corridor for ceaseless discharge etc. You just learn to look for them.

Secondly, your equipment sucks. Early in the game, you can kill most enemies in a couple of hits but every enemy can kill you in a couple of hits. You will find as you progress your weapons and armour scale in your favour more. So fights become easier because you have more health....or because you have high endurance so you can block everything....or because you have leveled your pyro glove so high it one shots everything :D

The first ten hours or so are the slowest. The more you level, the faster your progress becomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Got to the final guy yesterday, definately a king allant clone, fought him once did ok, next to impossible heal. Final 4 bosses weren't too tough, chaos was handy in that when you went back to him the previous progress was saved, shortcut by the chaos daughter was a godsend. Seath level getting to that blue slab broke my heart, clams there had a good drop rate and I wasted hours in the lake for 2 miserable twinkling ores. Btw titanite demon just off the chaos boss respawns so farm there for demon titanite.

Thought i'd see what bf3 was like on the pc and 6 hours later i'm off to bed. Must kill clone allant to morrow.

Finally killed Smough and Ornstein.

Did what was suggested here and tried to kill Ornstein first which is much harder.

Then only had to put up with a slow Smough hybrid. Soul arrowed him until energy 1/3 full then went in for kill.

Halbred +10 and Eagle Shield +10.

Just had a chat with that ridiculous serpent thing in Firelink Shrine (reminds me of God in South Park) and in the cut scene many places seemed to open up.

I want an ember to make divine weapons past +5 which I believe is the Tomb of Giants. How do I get to it from here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

the Tomb of Giants. How do I get to it from here?

Go through the Catacombs (down by the skeletons) to get to the Tomb of Giants.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Go through the Catacombs (down by the skeletons) to get to the Tomb of Giants.

Ah yes, I remember the darkness now.

Hmm, not looking forward to that.

What do I do to illuminate that place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Ah yes, I remember the darkness now.

Hmm, not looking forward to that.

What do I do to illuminate that place?

The skull which in that level, or the magic vendor by the hydra in darkroot basin, or get the maggot sunshine thingy headpiece..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Four Kings down - was dreading the fight after hearing ominous references to them but got them no hassle third time around (and first time I wasn't expecting them!)

Crystal homing soulmass is really beyond a joke :) That with the crystal shield and a lightning spear has seen me through the last four or five bosses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

That's it, the Hydra battle was the final straw. Too many cheap deaths, too much dull farming, too much trudging over the same old areas when farming. I'm getting rid of this, I just don't have the patience for it anymore. The only two games I've played in the past which required this amount of mind-numbingly dull farming was Battle of Olympus on the NES (Farming for Olives) and Secret of Mana on the SNES (Farming for two days so I could have enough gold to buy the armor required for the Pure Land)

I don't have the patience needed for this type of game so I might just trade it in for Jonah Lomu Rugby and be done with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I haven't had to do much farming at all :confused: The only time I really did was when I went down to the sewer blobs to stock up on Titanite shards: which was entirely optional, and apart from that the grind has been minimal (and I'm in the mid-60s SL wise). The Hydra is a bastard at low levels, definitely, but in this game it's always worth persevering. I'd definitely recommend heading down to Demon Ruins: if you have decent spells, the minor Capra demons can get you 5000 souls in a matter of seconds, and a bonfire right next to them. Or, of course, the painless Forest Hunter way :P

Headed down to the Ash Lake (and plenty of Crystal Lizards along the way!), and then finally took the time to get the Blue Titanite Slab. Much easier with arrows: lets you mark out the path without much bother! A +5 Enchanted Falchion was a nice reward for the trouble :)

Just down to Lost Iziath (or however you spell it) and the Tomb of Giants (shudder) as far as I can tell: hopefully will be done before Uncharted 3 this way comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

That's it, the Hydra battle was the final straw. Too many cheap deaths, too much dull farming, too much trudging over the same old areas when farming. I'm getting rid of this, I just don't have the patience for it anymore. The only two games I've played in the past which required this amount of mind-numbingly dull farming was Battle of Olympus on the NES (Farming for Olives) and Secret of Mana on the SNES (Farming for two days so I could have enough gold to buy the armor required for the Pure Land)

I don't have the patience needed for this type of game so I might just trade it in for Jonah Lomu Rugby and be done with it.

So trade it in then. After reading your post about the Capra demon i replied as did various other people with tips on how to beat him, and you did beat him and everyone was overjoyed thanking you post, yay! This game doesnt require farming. Its not an RPG where at some bosses/areas you need to be a certain level to compete with the boss. Dark Souls isnt for everyone and it will test your patience. But if you dont have any patience or you simply arnt very good at the game then yes you will be frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Polar101

I made some more progress, got rid of the dragon and now I'm in Undead Parish - going to try the first boss there next.

I also found some easy looking rats and then got poisoned for the first time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

You realize that if you make it to ash lake the hydra kills itself?

Are you talking about the first or second Hydra?

The one at Darkroot Basin or the one at Ash Lake?

The one at Darkroot is easy because there is a save rock for you to hide behind, when he tries to physical attack with heads then break cover and try to take a head out with your strongest weapon.

Rinse and repeat until he has no heads left. At this stage he will have very little HP and I just finished him with a bow.

Killed the one at Ash Lake today, if I go close enough he doesn't use his fireball (or whatever) attack - only physical and that can't break my shield so I just did the same strategy as above at this point (one thing - always be locked on to it when blocking, game is weird like that, I am facing him and blocking but an attack might still get through unless I am auto-targeting).

Tried my hand at invading today. The couldn't find the guy in Sens' Fortress, then I noticed a statue beside the crestfallen merchant and so I attacked it, it was him! Wish I had followed up as it may have been the best chance to kill him.

Unfortunately, after a stand off he used that multiple soul-arrow spell on me and killed me.

PS: It is stupid in the extreme that they take a cracked red eye orb off you even if the the game fails to find a world to invade.

Where is the Darkwraith Covenant anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Are you talking about the first or second Hydra?

The one at Darkroot Basin or the one at Ash Lake?

The one at Darkroot is easy because there is a save rock for you to hide behind, when he tries to physical attack with heads then break cover and try to take a head out with your strongest weapon.

Rinse and repeat until he has no heads left. At this stage he will have very little HP and I just finished him with a bow.

Killed the one at Ash Lake today, if I go close enough he doesn't use his fireball (or whatever) attack - only physical and that can't break my shield so I just did the same strategy as above at this point (one thing - always be locked on to it when blocking, game is weird like that, I am facing him and blocking but an attack might still get through unless I am auto-targeting).

Tried my hand at invading today. The couldn't find the guy in Sens' Fortress, then I noticed a statue beside the crestfallen merchant and so I attacked it, it was him! Wish I had followed up as it may have been the best chance to kill him.

Unfortunately, after a stand off he used that multiple soul-arrow spell on me and killed me.

PS: It is stupid in the extreme that they take a cracked red eye orb off you even if the the game fails to find a world to invade.

Where is the Darkwraith Covenant anyway?
    After the 4 kings you can talk to a serpant, doing so will make the one in firelink leave, he'll take you to place the lord vessel, talk to him and he offers it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

After the 4 kings you can talk to a serpant, doing so will make the one in firelink leave, he'll take you to place the lord vessel, talk to him and he offers it

Just to add that you cannot talk to Kingseeker Frampt after you get the Lordvessel. If you do you wont be able to join the Darkwraiths

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

any good tips for sens fortress ? still using the drake sword but it can be a bit underpowered against the lizards. only tried a few times but just got as far as the level of the lightening firing guy at his level behind the swinging axes.

i am using the crystal shield to reduce my lightening damage.

do not mind heading other places if there is a weapon i can upgrade that will be handy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

If you can stick it out in sens, there's a lightning spear quite early :) dropped from a mimic iirc..
    Oh, the first caster snake, you can hit with arrows from the start of the first set of pendulum-axes. After about 5-6 arrows, he'll fall off :)

Just to add that you cannot talk to Kingseeker Frampt after you get the Lordvessel. If you do you wont be able to join the Darkwraiths

Ah for **** sake, I just got the Lord Vessel. So now I can't join Dark Wraith?

How am I sposed to invade? Game just wastes cracked red eye orbs even if a connection isn't made or the guy runs to the boss.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Ah for **** sake, I just got the Lord Vessel. So now I can't join Dark Wraith?

How am I sposed to invade? Game just wastes cracked red eye orbs even if a connection isn't made or the guy runs to the boss.

Christ.

Yeah it sucks, i didnt find this out until i beat the 4 kings and placed the lord vessel with framps. You can invade with the darkmoon blades, but the invasion will only net you souls, no humanity.

I just rushed through ng+ to get back to the same point so i could talk to the dark wraiths guy but not really worth all the hassle just for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Theres an indefinite red eye orb in the painted world of aramis aswell so you can still invade without joining a covenant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Theres an indefinite red eye orb in the painted world of aramis aswell so you can still invade without joining a covenant

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Spunge wrote: »
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Red sign soapstone - not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Got the Moonlight Butterfly Horn - what a load of cack! With a INT of 32 it only gives me 110 + 64(B scaling) magic attack! Useless, my Magic Battle Axe +5 gives me a total attack of 360.

If the Enchanted upgrade path is B scaling for most wepaons it isn't worth pursuing.

Advertisement