Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

tonydude wrote: »
    Is there any way to increase the number of flasks you can carry permantly
    Would love to know that too. As I'm sure you know, kindling the fire is only a temporary way of increasing the flask count for the specific bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

So if i kndle a fire lets say 3 times. Each time i come back to that fire will i always get 8 flasks ?

Whats the golden guy going to do to me ?

Working on the headless weird thing by the blacksmith now :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If you kindle a fire, you will always get 10 flasks when you respawn at that fire. It's specific to the bonfire though, so respawning at a different one will only give you 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

If you kindle a bonfire once, everytime that you rest (or resurrect!) at that bonfire you will have 10 flasks. Also, if you hang around bonfires, every so often you will get the additional (temporary, till death or used) flask when a player in another world kindles that same bonfire.

Thanks guys been making this so hard on myself,, and to kindle use use humanity ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

So if i kndle a fire lets say 3 times. Each time i come back to that fire will i always get 8 flasks ?

Whats the golden guy going to do to me ?

Working on the headless weird thing by the blacksmith now :D

You get 5 additional flasks for Kindling a fire. I've only done it once to any particular fire but it remains kindled forever more.

The golden guy? the guy you rescue? you meet him back in the Fire Temple place and he gives you something.

Hope you're not trying to mellee that guy! if you are try luring him down onto the stairs behind him as you can get a few cheap hits there as he swings above your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Thats guys been making this so hard on myself,, and to kindle use use humanity ?

If you are undead, you will need 2 Humanity. One to turn human, and then one to kindle the bonfire. Its definitely worth kindling though, especially if there is a fairly central one to where you are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

F1ngers wrote: »
    Have you been back to the
    Asylum
    yet?
    Stray Demon says Hi - o/
    Am only SL 22 and got reamed, I'll give it one more go tonight but I'm not too optomistic.
    I think your SL 72 may help you live for a little longer.

Yeah I went back around SL 25 - 30 and killed him, he hits hard but his moves are telegraphed it makes him easy once you learn them.

Stay behind him, only attack after he attacks he will miss if you are behind. If he flies straight up just take 3 steps back and keep your shield up, he will land on the ground step in and get 2/3 hits in and finally and most importantly when he raises his sword above his head with both hands back off 10 yards as that's his AoE and again you can run in and get a hit or two in after it.
    Got through the Undead Burg and entered the Parish. Sneaked past the armoured bull and then got slashed to bits by some rather large skeletons. I am really struggling with the parry system. I've managed to parry once. ONCE.

I'm SL 72 and I have never even attempted to parry once it's not worth the risk, learn your blocking / countering game and you can win most fights without getting hit. Enemies have such varying attack animations and speed that parrying will never be viable unless you learn every single attack pattern in the game!! Get a shield with 100 Physical Defence and as high stability as possible and you'll do fine.
    I find kicking to break their guard is far more reliable.

Kicking is extremely good against small / humanoid enemies that have shields. If they wont let their guard down, kick and follow up with a combo. Doesn't work on bigger / armoured enemies though!
    Can all character classes kick? I'm playing as a Wanderer but haven't managed to pull off a kick yet.

Probably a stupid question.

Classes mean nothing, they only determine your starting stats and equipment!
    Is there any way to increase the number of flasks you can carry permantly

As was mentioned the only way to increase the amount of heals is to kindle a specific bonfire you can however boost the power of the flask which is the amount it heals.
    You need to find fire keepers souls and give them to the firekeeper at firelink shrine

Just rang the tower bell and almost killed the guy standing at the end of the ladder, whats this Covenant about

Just rang the tower bell and almost killed the guy standing at the end of the ladder, whats this Covenant about

He's a merchant that allows you to break your covenant without penalty although I never used him personally.

If you don't know anything about covenants I would advise read up at least the basics about them as they play a huge role in the game especially when playing online as you cant get any info on them in game.

Although again I know half the fun is not knowing but
    joining certain covenants and later breaking them can have bad consequences for your game and character!!
    Info here for those who want it: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/covenants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Big Knox wrote: »
    As was mentioned the only way to increase the amount of heals is to kindle a specific bonfire you can however boost the power of the flask which is the amount it heals.
    You need to find fire keepers souls and give them to the firekeeper at firelink shrine
    Is there another chance to do that in the game? How much is the boost?
    I "used" the firekeeper soul in my inventory as the description didn't say anything about having to give it to someone.
    How much am I gonna suffer because of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

No vendor will part with souls, ever. The only way to get them is to hack them out of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

once i get to fredrick shrine which path is best to do first ,whats easier

snowblind wrote: »
    I "used" the firekeeper soul in my inventory as the description didn't say anything about having to give it to someone.
    My flask is currently at +5 so there are a few of them scattered throughout the game world, just dont make the same mistake and eat it again!! :p

once i get to fredrick shrine which path is best to do first ,whats easier

Fredrick shrine LOL I hope that was intentional!!! Head up the stairs on the side of the cliff into the Undead Burg. It's the recommended starting area!!

Big Knox wrote: »
    Fredrick shrine LOL I hope that was intentional!!! Head up the stairs on the side of the cliff into the Undead Burg. It's the recommended starting area!!

theres another area thats to the left and down stairs, 2 skeletons with swords are down there, they seem tougher then the enemies in unburg pass

theres another area thats to the left and down stairs, 2 skeletons with swords are down there, they seem tougher then the enemies in unburg pass

Yeah that's the metrodome best to stay clear of there for now due to the skelatons being assholes who won't die so hit up the unburg pass for now!! :D

I hated the Catacombs, but either killing the Necromancers or getting a Divine weapon makes it a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Right, where to begin. First off, I consider myself a fairly rounded gamer. In terms of RPGs, I've played a few since the gold NES cart carrying Zelda appeared for sale. Since then, I'd be more into Fallout and Diablo than Baldur's Gate or Final Fantasy.

When Demon Souls was released, I read the reviews, I watched some footage and I read about it here. I looked around at getting a copy for a reasonable price but gave up. I wasn't willing to take a risk on the game.

Yesterday, I rented Dark Souls. Excited at the prospect of finally experiencing everything I had read, I was let down after an hour of playing. Ok, so like I said, I played it for an hour. Probably not a lot of time for a game as massive as this, I realize that, but first impressions still have to count for something. Not since Sins of a Solar Empire have I been so personally disappointed by a game that was so well received. Please note that I'm not attacking anyone or trolling, I've no interest in that. I feel like I'm watching a movie and everyone else is laughing at a joke I just don't get.

First off, my impressions:

Graphics - Playing on the PS3, I'm not at all wowed by the visuals. I know it's meant to look bleak, but it plenty of games have done bleak and stunning, just look at the first gears of war. A lot of ruined city scapes, underground tunnels, but still quite arresting. Along with that, their are the technical issues: clipping, stuttering frame rate.

Difficulty: Part of the game, I understand that. But why does something that would be a major negative in another game (ninja gaiden 2 for example) become celebrated here? Again, I don't understand it. I accidentally swiped the guy sitting next to the bonfire after the tutorial asylum level, while fending off a skeleton. Whenever I revived, he would come at me again.

Clunky menus: Even from loading, I was reminded of games I played a long time ago. The menu system is clunky, there is no real explanation of attributes or the levelling process. Again, this has been "celebrated" as "a great game that doesn't hold your hand". I don't want hand holding, just a little explanation before I even make a character.

Story: Seriously, is there a story? What I liked about Diablo was even amidst all the repetitive clicking, saving and reloading to respawn enemies for levelling up, the story was quite a lot of fun. Yes, it was told only through quests and some brilliant cinematics at the end of each Act, but in true Blizzard fashion they created a deep fantasy game world to set all this looting and clicking against. Again, I can't see much of a story here. Why am I dead? What am I doing? I hear "oh, the story is there if you go looking for it". Look where? It's a big game and I just want a basic back drop as to why I'm running around hacking up undead.

I know I must be missing something here, it isn't a case of I'm right and everyone else is wrong, but did anyone else not feel the same when they first picked up demon souls or dark souls? Or was it "wow, this is amazing!" from the second you popped the disc in the drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

All I can say is it's not for everyone. I find the risk/reward dynamic excellent but I can fully understand if it pi$$es others off.

The graphics aren't the greatest which has been mentioned by some of the posters on here but I don't think it affects the gameplay myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Right, where to begin. First off, I consider myself a fairly rounded gamer. In terms of RPGs, I've played a few since the gold NES cart carrying Zelda appeared for sale. Since then, I'd be more into Fallout and Diablo than Baldur's Gate or Final Fantasy.

When Demon Souls was released, I read the reviews, I watched some footage and I read about it here. I looked around at getting a copy for a reasonable price but gave up. I wasn't willing to take a risk on the game.

Yesterday, I rented Dark Souls. Excited at the prospect of finally experiencing everything I had read, I was let down after an hour of playing. Ok, so like I said, I played it for an hour. Probably not a lot of time for a game as massive as this, I realize that, but first impressions still have to count for something. Not since Sins of a Solar Empire have I been so personally disappointed by a game that was so well received. Please note that I'm not attacking anyone or trolling, I've no interest in that. I feel like I'm watching a movie and everyone else is laughing at a joke I just don't get.

First off, my impressions:

Graphics - Playing on the PS3, I'm not at all wowed by the visuals. I know it's meant to look bleak, but it plenty of games have done bleak and stunning, just look at the first gears of war. A lot of ruined city scapes, underground tunnels, but still quite arresting. Along with that, their are the technical issues: clipping, stuttering frame rate.

Difficulty: Part of the game, I understand that. But why does something that would be a major negative in another game (ninja gaiden 2 for example) become celebrated here? Again, I don't understand it. I accidentally swiped the guy sitting next to the bonfire after the tutorial asylum level, while fending off a skeleton. Whenever I revived, he would come at me again.

Clunky menus: Even from loading, I was reminded of games I played a long time ago. The menu system is clunky, there is no real explanation of attributes or the levelling process. Again, this has been "celebrated" as "a great game that doesn't hold your hand". I don't want hand holding, just a little explanation before I even make a character.

Story: Seriously, is there a story? What I liked about Diablo was even amidst all the repetitive clicking, saving and reloading to respawn enemies for levelling up, the story was quite a lot of fun. Yes, it was told only through quests and some brilliant cinematics at the end of each Act, but in true Blizzard fashion they created a deep fantasy game world to set all this looting and clicking against. Again, I can't see much of a story here. Why am I dead? What am I doing? I hear "oh, the story is there if you go looking for it". Look where? It's a big game and I just want a basic back drop as to why I'm running around hacking up undead.

I know I must be missing something here, it isn't a case of I'm right and everyone else is wrong, but did anyone else not feel the same when they first picked up demon souls or dark souls? Or was it "wow, this is amazing!" from the second you popped the disc in the drive?

I got Demon's Souls first, and I found it pretty awesome from the get go. I hadn't really seen that kind of Left hand L1/L2, Right Hand R1/R2 thing in a sword and sorcery game. It just seemed so obvious I couldn't imagine why someone hadn't done it that way before (maybe they have). It seemed utterly different from most games, from the almost absent soundtrack, to the bleak medieval aesthetic. It was also balls hard, but even that felt like a new break, with the second chance concept with gathering up souls from your slain body. The multiplayer was genius, I'd never seen anything done so well, and it gave a sense of community in the face of being completely isolated in the game.

It generally speaking, felt cruel but never unfair, and I suppose that's the main selling point too. If I died, I think generally speaking, it was my fault. It wasn't that the enemies cheapshotted me or had an unblockable combo. Any monster, pretty much, can be beaten, from the start, if you are good enough. Demon's souls and Dark Souls are about training to be that good.

For me, at least. I can see how some people might hate it. I know people who won't pick it up because they've seen me play and it looks like bloody hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

snowblind wrote: »

I did the same, the one in the undead parish.

I asked "what does the fire keeper thing do, i used and nothing happened". They all laughed at me :(

Feels bad man

from peoples experience , is this easier or harder than demon souls

I'd say harder. It's bigger, so there's more in it, which in turn allows for more difficulty. It's seems to be difficult in a cheap way at times, but definitely more difficult.

What is the point of this game? I only just realized that I had no clue.

just beat the gaping dragon, fairly easy, cut his tail off too :D got the
    Dragon King Greataxe Needs 24 strength but packs 360 hit point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

To complete it without ****ing your xbox/playstation out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

from peoples experience , is this easier or harder than demon souls
    The bonfires make it easier (easier to reach lost souls) but the enemies are harder in general

In blittown now at the fire where theres timber structures on both sides and i dont know where to go ????:confused:

• Advertisement

To complete it without ****ing your xbox/playstation out the window

Ha, it's okay now that I've leveler up and upgraded my weapons, but I just realized while killing a Black Knight that I don't know what the story is or where I'm going.

Anyone able to lead me in the right direction?

Advertisement