Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

When I was playing last night I was walking along and suddenly an orange glow surrounded my character. It entered his body but I don't know what it did. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Did you have the ready brek ring equipped at the time?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

For anyone having trouble with the giant butterfly, at the bottom of the steps near the boss, there's a bush that you can chop. Under the bush is a summon sign, which will summon a mage type character. She'll spam ranged spells, making this fight a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

When I was playing last night I was walking along and suddenly an orange glow surrounded my character. It entered his body but I don't know what it did. Any ideas?

Another player kindled the bonfire you last rested at and so you gained an extra estus flask.

I spent a couple of hours last night playing, and had a pretty fruitful session. Beat the Titanite demon and then beat the Midnight Butterfly (who was pretty bloody easy I must say). I have been trying to up my strength and endurance (I am a Knight), and will maybe start putting some points into vitality and dex after. I have also focused on upgrading my weapons. Mainly using a longsword +3, scimitar +2, halberd +2 and the drake sword. Also mainly wearing chain-mail armor, seems to have the right balance between weight and defense for me right now.

Don't understand the comments about the graphics, sure they aren't as advanced as some other games but it is the overall artistic direction that is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Kiith recommended that upon defeating the Gaping Dragon I buy the crest to open this famous door, so I did. I was promptly backstabbed by an invisible assailant and cursed Kiith for telling me to spend my 20k souls this way. :o

How times changed in the space of about an hour. ;) That area is like mana from heaven. So many souls... so many easy souls more specifically. Only thing I don't like is the trees are stronger in there, but still only drop 100 souls.

Kiith, I salute you!

• Advertisement

Only thing I don't like is the trees are stronger in there, but still only drop 100 souls.

Nevermind that they're stronger, 6 of them attack you in 1 go. got the armour and got the feck out of there.

As for armour weight balance, theres a very handy ring at the base of the taurus tower, there was a locked door there when you intially went in, you should have the key by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Rented from xtravision last night to try this out. Sweet Jesus I die a lot but seemingly thats standard.. I have some questions.

So I'm a sorcerer, lvl 10 and I've just been pumping all points into Intelligence to increase my spells. I'm only 4 hours into the game.

How do I get more spells? I thought they would appear when I level up but I still only have one.

When I run out of spells I use my trusty (and lethal) Dagger! with a shield I found. I have loads of other weapons but I don't seem to be able to use them. So how do you know what weapons you can use or not? When I look at a weapon I don't see any Stats that correspond to my strength or Dexterity. How do you match one to another..

I've come across a Black Knight and another dude with a massive club going down the Spiral Staircase near the Taurus Boss. Is it worth trying to kill these guys? They dispatch me with one shot but I don't know if I should keep trying to kill them or leave them be..

Any help would be great, I've read the thread from Page 21 but haven't come across anyone asking same questions. I also don't have the guide which comes with the game so that isn't helping me. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Rented from xtravision last night to try this out. Sweet Jesus I die a lot but seemingly thats standard.. I have some questions.

So I'm a sorcerer, lvl 10 and I've just been pumping all points into Intelligence to increase my spells. I'm only 4 hours into the game.

How do I get more spells? I thought they would appear when I level up but I still only have one.

When I run out of spells I use my trusty (and lethal) Dagger! with a shield I found. I have loads of other weapons but I don't seem to be able to use them. So how do you know what weapons you can use or not? When I look at a weapon I don't see any Stats that correspond to my strength or Dexterity. How do you match one to another..

I've come across a Black Knight and another dude with a massive club going down the Spiral Staircase near the Taurus Boss. Is it worth trying to kill these guys? They dispatch me with one shot but I don't know if I should keep trying to kill them or leave them be..

Any help would be great, I've read the thread from Page 21 but haven't come across anyone asking same questions. I also don't have the guide which comes with the game so that isn't helping me. Thanks

You have to find teachers to sell you more spells. there is one guy who sells one or 2 spells in the area below Firelink Shrine, there is a set of steps down near the bonfire, follow it to an elevator and go right when you get to the dark area with the easily killed zombies. there is a guy in a cave beside the steps overlooking the cliff, he has some better soul arrow spells I think. Main sorceror is at the bottom of Undead Burg, use the key you get just outside the church in Undead Parish to open a door just after the Taurus demon. This will lead to the streets you can see at the bottom of Undead Burg. After dispatching a dog or two you will be on a Y junction, go right and there is a door on your left with the mage inside (key is sold from the merchant in Undead Burg). Also put points into Attunement, that opens up more spell slots.

As for weapon requirements, there should be 2 sets of four symbols 2/3 the way down the screen saying "ParamBonus" and "ReqBonus", either with letters from E to A or - symbols on the left, numbers on the right. The stats are Str, Dex, Int and Faith, the ParamBonus indicates how much a stat will affect the damage output ( a - means it has no affect on the weapon), ReqBonus is how many points in a stat you need to wield it effectively. For example, the Sorcerors starting Dagger has E/B/-/- and 5/8/0/0 which means you need 5 Str and 8 Dex to use and Dex increases will boost damage a lot while Str will grant a minor increase every few increases.

Probably best to leave the 2 big guys, they do give a 1000 souls or so each, and the guy at the bottom of the stairs has a nice carry capacity increase ring, but not vital at first. I ingored em and wasnt struggling to get through the game or anything.

Does anyone else have that feeling of utter dread when they come across a new area to explore? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Noopti wrote: »
    Does anyone else have that feeling of utter dread when they come across a new area to explore? :pac:

Ya, thats overall feeling I've been having the last 2 nights playing through lower berg and the Depths. Went to sleep last night dreaming of people around me with health bars.

I've got my curse lifted now so my POA tonight is to beat the Gaping Dragon.
    What should I do after that? Head straight to Blighttown or should I do some farming of souls?

• Advertisement

haha...yeah whenever I encounter a new area I usually stop and consider running away back to an area I feel safer in. I then start creeping forward slowly with my shield raised. Usually there will be a message saying "Strange creature ahead" and I once again consider running away before then moving forward very slowly.

Actually I think the next step for me is grinding out some souls to buy a soul arrow, which I still haven't got yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Ya, thats overall feeling I've been having the last 2 nights playing through lower berg and the Depths. Went to sleep last night dreaming of people around me with health bars.

I've got my curse lifted now so my POA tonight is to beat the Gaping Dragon.
    What should I do after that?
    Head straight to Blighttown or should I do some farming of souls?

Beat him, buy the crest from Andre the Blacksmith (20k souls)... Use it: Be happy :)
    You'll have the 20k in souls back in about 10-15 minutes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,693 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Noopti wrote: »

Yep! The only other game I've played which has such a horrible feeling of dread is Nethack.
    So far I'm finding Dark Souls to almost be a modern version of it.

Although it's still not as hard as Nethack. When you die in that game you are dead. Simple as. Imagine Dark Souls with no bonfires. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Beat him, buy the crest from Andre the Blacksmith (20k souls)... Use it: Be happy :)
    You'll have the 20k in souls back in about 10-15 minutes!!

You dont actually need to buy that crest key to get into that area. I cleared the entire forest area and then came back and bought the key to open the door and realised i actually cleared the area on the other side. Waste of 20k souls.

If you walk into the Darkroot area from Undead Parish there is a path to the right after you kill the very first tree monster. You need to then kill a boss, which is very easy once you get close, after abit of a trek down a mountain. Then theres a ladder near the waterfall that leads to the area beyond the magic door. Suppose the door is a good shortcut if your with the Forest Hunter Covenant

It's only 20k souls though, and you'll make that up farming the area really easily. Bonfire right at the door for respawning too.

Yeah its a long trek back and forth, with the bonfire, you can get the 7k almost every 2 mins.

BTW how do i move weapons from +5 and when can i start using my blue\geeen\red titanite?

Yeah its a long trek back and forth, with the bonfire, you can get the 7k almost every 2 mins.

BTW how do i move weapons from +5 and when can i start using my blue\geeen\red titanite?

I could be wrong, but I think you need Titanite Chunks to improve past +5. Not 100% sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

You need to find the Embers dotted around the game for most of the coloured upgrades and bring them to a smith who will use them. Most I have got so far go to the smith near undead Parish, have made a divine longsword (uses green titanite) for the catacombs and dunno what the second ember was.

To move past +5 you need the large shards and after +10 its the chunks I think, been ages since near a smith so cant confirm.

You can get large shards in blighttown swamp, leeches drop them fairly often. Sens fortress merchant also sells em. Forget the price though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Right, I've just bought this game based on this thread and it sounding fun.

Im a casual gamer, Im going to die a lot.

This is going to be fun:D

• Advertisement

Right, I've just bought this game based on this thread and it sounding fun.

Im a casual gamer, Im going to die a lot.

This is going to be fun:D

If you stick with it you will enjoy yourself. I think the biggest block is that you sort of have to figure out stuff for yourself, but once you start learning how it all works you get into a rhythm which is incredibly satisfying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@Gunmonkey - Thank you, very helpful :)

I'm looking forward to getting back into it later on now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

To get your weapon past +5 you need to use the option "modify weapon" at the blacksmith, this will bring up the list of ascentions and just select the standard +6 and then you go back to "reinforce weapon" to continue up until +10!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

starting my session for today now, first things first earn 70k souls to absolve my sin of freeing the guy trapped in the barrel :o

tonydude wrote: »
    starting my session for today now, first things first earn 70k souls to absolve my sin of freeing the guy trapped in the barrel :o

If you killed him dont bother. I remember two guys trapped in barrells. One is a pyromancer trainer the other is a sorcery trainer. If you dont plan on going down such routes i wouldnt bother absolving your sin. 70k is alot of souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,326 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

will put in a few hours agin tonight, i am a pyromancer, how will i get the trainer out of the barrel , when i get that far, without annoying/killing him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,326 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

also where do i go when i pass the taurus demon ? i have some items that allow me kills the ghosts down the cave (keep forgetting the names of the places :) )

is it advisable to try kill these ?

i know i have to go undead parish next ?? just how to get there

love the game, just getting the hang of the layout

i also half focked my drakes sword banging it 2 handed off the ground :p , where to repair ? even though i have some items in my inventuary to fix weapons i think, i can also buy something for 3000 from the dude in the undead burg for fixing items, is this a 1 time item or unlimited.

sorry for all the questions :o

Any advice on how to kill the bell gargoyle?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

2smiggy wrote: »
    will put in a few hours agin tonight, i am a pyromancer, how will i get the trainer out of the barrel , when i get that far, without annoying/killing him ?

Roll into the barrel.
    also where do i go when i pass the taurus demon ? i have some items that allow me kills the ghosts down the cave (keep forgetting the names of the places :) )

i know i have to go undead parish next ?? just how to get there

After beating the Taurus Demon, continue past this area, you will come to a bridge with enemies and a red dragon, it's a pain but time it right and you can pass him.
    i can also buy something for 3000 from the dude in the undead burg for fixing items, is this a 1 time item or unlimited.

Unlimited, a must buy.

I went all out melee, take the tail off if you can. They weren't that hard imo.

• Advertisement

You can get him out of the barrel by just hitting it once. I think he said 'ow' or something when i broke the barrel, but didn't attack me. Just use a crap weapon/fists, and do a light attack.

Summon another player? I managed to kill him solo, but it was tough. Just focus on the 1st guy. Draw him away from the fire breathing guy, and just try to blitz him down. Once there's only 1 of them, it gets a lot easier.

Advertisement