Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you have an xbox and xbox live gold it's only a tenner at the moment?

Sorry I should have mentioned, PS3. :(

That would have been a beaut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Trying to beat Artorias at the moment, can't even get him to half health. I've a feeling I'm just going to have to be crazily patient and only attack when I'm positive he can't hit me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

was mostly down to patience with him.
    i blocked or rolled most of his attacks and there was one in particular that was both easy to dodge, and left him open for 1-2 quick hits.
    i think it was if you stand far away from him, he kinda jumps in at you and does 2-3 sweeps.. roll dodge them all and then give him a couple of slaps.. then run away and repeat

Given up for the evening. This is frustrating :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

danthefan wrote: »
    Given up for the evening. This is frustrating :(

Don't feel too bad, I'm stuck on the demon Taurus at the start, granted I only started yesterday, am slowly getting the hang of things.

with the taurus demon
    stick your face into his crotch and stay there. you'll have to dodge the odd attack, but most of his attacks wont reach you if you're sniffing his musk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Capra defeated! I'd actually put this down about 6 months ago and only picked it up again last night after some encouragement from someone on the ps plus thread. Took me about 4 tries last night and I summoned some help.
    Delighted now I can move on. Back at it tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Trying to beat Artorias at the moment, can't even get him to half health. I've a feeling I'm just going to have to be crazily patient and only attack when I'm positive he can't hit me.

Artorias was really hurting me. In the end I changed from my standard low armour dex rolling tactic that worked everywhere else. Changed out my gear, biggest change was going from grass crest shield which gave stamina regen, to black knight shield which has 100% protection from physical. It was important to keep below 50% weight though so I could close distance and break his charge up move.

weiland79 wrote: »
    Capra defeated! I'd actually put this down about 6 months ago and only picked it up again last night after some encouragement from someone on the ps plus thread. Took me about 4 tries last night and I summoned some help.
    Delighted now I can move on. Back at it tonight!

is that the ****er in lower undead burg?

he wasn't a problem really but those ****ing dogs, jesus. i couldn't block or dodge without being face****ed by one of the hounds, and if I tried to dodge everything I ended up with my back to a wall and no way out. took me ages

• Advertisement

with the taurus demon
    stick your face into his crotch and stay there. you'll have to dodge the odd attack, but most of his attacks wont reach you if you're sniffing his musk

Thanks....I think haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Still waiting for one of them Baldur side swords to drop, have the Iaito at plus 10 now.

You can find the Gold Covetous (sp?) Serpent Ring in Sens Fortress which boosts item discovery by 200. It should make getting the Baldur Side Sword (or anything) that much easier to get from loot drops.

im hoping not to get a BSS this time around.... I love that sword so much that if I get it, I'll use nothing else.

I haven't gotten the BSS yet, i'v heard good things about it though. Am I correct that it does good critical damage the same way the rapiers do?

think it has good critical damage alright, I wasn't backstabbing or parrying much though. it scales ungodly with dex once you upgrade it well.
    i got 3 of the ****ers in my first playthrough. wasn't until this time around, and after doing some googling when I'd finished the game I realised how rare they were.

Another 5 or 6 attempts at Atorias, another 5 or 6 annihilations. Losing the will to play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Right so, I know this has probably been answered in the thread a fair bit, but the effort of looking :P

So I have no experience whatsoever with this game or with Demon Souls. I've ordered it only purely on the recommendations of, well, everyone.

Is there any particularly important advice someone may have for me bar to expect to die, a lot. :D What would be the recommended start up strategy for a complete noob?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Another 5 or 6 attempts at Atorias, another 5 or 6 annihilations. Losing the will to play here.

Well it is an optional section of the game right?

You could continue the main game and come back to it later.

Right so, I know this has probably been answered in the thread a fair bit, but the effort of looking :P

So I have no experience whatsoever with this game or with Demon Souls. I've ordered it only purely on the recommendations of, well, everyone.

Is there any particularly important advice someone may have for me bar to expect to die, a lot. :D What would be the recommended start up strategy for a complete noob?

Emmm. Right.

Gear is very important, more so than souls levels.

It's better to focus your levels into a couple of stats rather than spread them out over everything, depending on how you want to play. If you want to be a caster then go Int, warrior go Str, and everyone should put levels into End.

Dodging and blocking are absolutely vital.

Try your best to not get frustrated when you die and lose tens of thousands of souls, it is going to happen at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Wear light armour so you can roll out of the way of attacks. Get used to doing a lot of rolling whilst locked on to enemies. Don't be afraid to run away and draw enemies on also.

• Advertisement

If you're on PC and need a hand PM me and ill give you a hand defeating him (hopefully ill have an SL character within range also)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I haven't gotten the BSS yet, i'v heard good things about it though. Am I correct that it does good critical damage the same way the rapiers do?

It also has a great strong attack with loads of reach. I even use an enchanted one on my sorcerer. Totally worth going to 14 dex, 10 str.

Same as myself, started it few days ago, Jesus it's tough, but I'm enjoying it. Great sense if achievement when you get past a part your stuck on and yea you die a lot and lose a lot and it's very annoying but kinda makes you want to be more careful and strategic about things. I think as well maybe try out items you pick up to see what things do as there is no hand holding at all. Search all corners of areas, I almost missed a merchant because of that. Main thing is stick with it I think, I found it tough and slow at the start but now I'm loving it

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How do I reinforce a weapon above +10? Have the Iaito at +10 now but it doesn't give me an option to reinforce it any higher either at the bonfire or Andrei the blacksmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

How do I reinforce a weapon above +10? Have the Iaito at +10 now but it doesn't give me an option to reinforce it any higher either at the bonfire or Andrei the blacksmith.

You need to get a hold of the very large ember and give it to Andrei. This can only be obtained once you have the Lordvessel (I think??), and can be found in the
    New Londo Ruins once you lower the water.

You'll need a titinate slab to reinforce a weapon from +14 to +15 if you plan to go that route. You can get one by killing
    the stray demon in the Undead Asylum when you return there

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Dark Souls PC for about a tenner (GreenMan Games / Steam): http://savygamer.co.uk/2013/06/05/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-pc-8/
    Not a great PC port but very playable with Xbox 360 pad and fixes from here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dark_Souls

Completely enthralling game. I got as far as Ornstein and Smough before I had to take a break. Still intend to go back one day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Mad Mike wrote: »
    Dark Souls PC for about a tenner (GreenMan Games / Steam): http://savygamer.co.uk/2013/06/05/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-pc-8/
    Not a great PC port but very playable with Xbox 360 pad and fixes from here: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Dark_Souls

Completely enthralling game. I got as far as Ornstein and Smough before I had to take a break. Still intend to go back one day though.

did you put in the fixes in ? the improve the frame rates and resolution , not official releases but easily found online. It made the game much smoother and better looking than on my PS3 !! The controller is a must really , I tried with the mouse and keyboard for the laugh. Very very awkward !

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Yes I put the fixes in and can second the fact that they make a huge difference.

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    did you put in the fixes in ? the improve the frame rates and resolution , not official releases but easily found online. It made the game much smoother and better looking than on my PS3 !! The controller is a must really , I tried with the mouse and keyboard for the laugh. Very very awkward !

It's called DSfix, for anyone wondering.

Advertisement