Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I had a tank character and while I know what you mean about the movement speeds, it didn't bother me that much in the long run. You'll most likely be pumping alot of stat into Endurance to increase weight load and if you get Havels ring it's usually fine and you get to move a bit faster.

Tanking is usually very good build overall for fight bosses + PvP, the only thing is you're susceptible to backstabs if you let someone get behind quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, I might just get some light armour and a decently upgraded longsword and grab havels ring. then start my tank build from there

I've kinda been playing nothing but dark souls for the past 2 weeks though.. 2 playthroughs one after the other.. itd probably be a good idea to take a few months off before I start my third

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Grrrrrrrr finding it very difficult to make the jump in Blighttown to get Laito. Do it naked and miss get swarmed by two ghouls, and theres no way to do it with my armour equiped

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

weiland79 wrote: »
    Grrrrrrrr finding it very difficult to make the jump in Blighttown to get Laito. Do it naked and miss get swarmed by two ghouls, and theres no way to do it with my armour equiped

I was wearing wanderer armour when I did it, just clear out the enemies before you do it too. The jump controls really are a pain in the ass though.

Trick is to try not make the actual platform but instead the jutting piece of wood that sticks out of the platform. I have made the platform before but it's not always 100%.

The platform you jump off has a jutting piece of wood as well I think, aim to run towards that and when on it that's when you do your jump.

weiland, what SL and platform you on? Might be able to give a hand if you're on PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Playing on playstation but thanks for the offer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

On my second day of Dark Souls. My God I love it. I've just killed the Bell Gargoyles and the Capra Demon. Heading down to the Depths now.

Just wondering, I have a Balder Side Sword +5, is this a decent weapon to keep upgrading with? I'm going for a Dex build. I've also heard the Uchigitana is a good weapon for a Dex build, how do I go about getting that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Just wondering, I have a Balder Side Sword +5, is this a decent weapon to keep upgrading with? I'm going for a Dex build.that?

The Baller Swag Sword is one of the best if not the best Dex weapons in the game, it has large crits and it has some very good damage when upgraded to +15. +15 combined with resins and Crystal or Magic Weapon make for a ridiculously powerful weapon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Just wondering, I have a Balder Side Sword +5, is this a decent weapon to keep upgrading with? I'm going for a Dex build. I've also heard the Uchigitana is a good weapon for a Dex build, how do I go about getting that?
    A lot of people swear by the BSS especially for a DEX build. Not a fan of DEX builds myself but there are some good weapons in the DLC if you have it for DEX.

The easiest way to get an Uchi
    is to kill the undead merchant
    in the Undead Burg. Theres is a merchant who sells them later in the game if you join a certain covenant too.

You lucky f*cker :D, I'v not come across (then again not tried to farm) the balder side sword in my gametime. The Balder Side Sword from comments in the thread say that it's a great weapon, particularly for Dex builds.

To get the Uchigatana, there are two ways to get the sword:
    1) Kill
    the Undead Male Merchant in Undead Burg
    . This is the easiest way to get the sword and very early on but you won't be able to buy anything from him again for the playthrough.
    2) Join the Forest Hunter Covenant and you can buy it from Shiva of the East when he is in Blighttown. I think the sword costs 10k souls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Bit of a noob question here but how do I level up equipment rather than myself. I only got to play it for 2 days and have been away from Xbox since, couldn't figure it out when I was playing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Bit of a noob question here but how do I level up equipment rather than myself. I only got to play it for 2 days and have been away from Xbox since, couldn't figure it out when I was playing it

You need to find the blacksmith...

Hmm, seems I was quite lucky, I got it very early on, I had it well before I reached the Gargoyles!

Got the Uchigitana, thanks folks :)

Also, what is the Baller Swag Sword?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

Hmm, seems I was quite lucky, I got it very early on, I had it well before I reached the Gargoyles!

Got the Uchigitana, thanks folks :)

Also, what is the Baller Swag Sword?

It's how the internet refers to the Balder Sword. It's that badass.

It's how the internet refers to the Balder Sword. It's that badass.

Guess it's a testament to my ability that I still suck with it :D The damn butcher in the Depths is causing me awful bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

need help guys

long time player but mainly went for strength builds or magic

first time going dex and i love it

i am currently using the Uchigitana+10 at the moment
    im in anor londo and i have the chance to change it too the lightning Uchigitana

can anyone tell me if its better to change it to lightning one or just keep it the same and upgrade it to +15

also can anyone tell me the different between the Uchigitana and the Ianito? is it called that, they look very similar and stats are basicly the same but the ianito needs 20str to wield it

also heres my stats so far, can anyone help me what to get up higher? cause i dunno what i should level up thanks

vitality - 20 ( going to push it to 30 )
    endurance - 19 (going to push it to 30)
    strength - 14 ( going to push it to 20 for dragon bow )
    Dex 40 ( anyone recommend a level to stop at? )

all the other stats are the same when i picked the character
    i just dont know how high should i get the 4 above

thank guys

the iaito? are you sure it needs 20 str?

either way I think they're both very similar, it's pretty much down to which moveset you prefer. as I recall I far preferred the moveset of the uchi, iaito had a few moves that I almost never used as they seemed too impractical

40 is a good level to stop at with dex (think there are some situations where 45 is required but dunno, just read that somewhere) once you go over 40 you don't get as much bonus from dex scaling as you would have on the way up to 40

also be careful you dont level up too much. my first play through I spent several hours farming the new londo ruins hoping for a particular item drop, ended up with so many souls that I just pumped into levelling and levelling.. it made the last portion of the game far too easy. none of the bosses were a challenge and it was almost like I was taking a stroll through undead burg again just one hitting everything I saw.

the iaito? are you sure it needs 20 str?

sorry my bad

it needs 20dex

iaito reqs are , 14str 20dex
    where the ugi reqs are , 14str 14dex
    i just wondering if its because the iaito gets more stronger or what haha

thanks for the advice :)

just need to know whether its a good idea to turn my Uchigitana into a lightning one or to keep it at +10 and upgrade it to +15

actually i just found out if im a dex build
    its best to stay away from elemental weopens as it gets rid of scaling
    so il just stick with +10 for now and apply resins to it :)

Wow, I HATE the Depths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Wow, I HATE the Depths.
    Wait til you see what comes next!:P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wow, I HATE the Depths.

I hated it at the time too, but in hindsight it was picnic. I can think of at least two sections that are ten times worse, namely
    Blightown and Tomb of the Giants

It's actually grand apart from 2 things. I kept getting so ridiculously lost and I cannot beat the boss at all at all! Grrrr.

Had him down to 1 hit and he tail whipped me off the edge. Damn.

Oh. My. God. Finally saved up 20k souls, go to Andre to buy the Crest of Aritorias, was using the Soul of a Nameless blah blah to get the last couple of souls, accidently use a firebomb and now he is very angry. So I googled, and I know have to pay 17k to get absolution.

Oh. My. God. Finally saved up 20k souls, go to Andre to buy the Crest of Aritorias, was using the Soul of a Nameless blah blah to get the last couple of souls, accidently use a firebomb and now he is very angry. So I googled, and I know have to pay 17k to get absolution.

You gotta love it :D

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You gotta love it :D

It really is a unique game in that it can screw you over completely and yet you love it :P

Ok so one last thing, is it worth upgrading shields and is the Hollow Soldier Shield a good shield to use compared to the better shields in the game?

It really is a unique game in that it can screw you over completely and yet you love it :P

Ok so one last thing, is it worth upgrading shields and is the Hollow Soldier Shield a good shield to use compared to the better shields in the game?

good for start of the game
    but after that its pretty pointless compared to others

i normaly use grass crest shield or spider shield which has 100% damage reduction

but everyone has a preference :D grass crest shield you can get very early on which is usefull if your going with a low endurence build

i lovedf the hollow soldier shield, 100% damage reduction and great stability when upgraded especially considering how little it weighs

didnt have great magic/lightning/fire defence though, but as a run of the mill standard shield i thought it was great

When you get to Anor Londo, id farm the Silver Knight Shield. It has the best stability in the game for a medium shield when fully upgraded (already has great stability when you first get it without upgrade) and it also has decent elemental resistances with only Magic being the lowest at 40%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

If you want to know how it holds up against other dex weapons then look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDWbZDWbnpI
    Personally I use the Uchi, but as ENB says in the video, the differences between them all are small, with ultimately the great scythe coming out on top.

Advertisement