Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Black and White thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Best of luck getting those games back.

I did something similar on diamond - moved my US save game onto a European cart, it was always treated as a european game for the purposes of WiFi events, trading, pal parking etc. Interesting to know the generic names and name fields get translated over from Japanese though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I decided to load my Japanese Black save into the English Black game expecting it to crash.

Sounds about right. I've used saves from Japanese ROMs with the European ROMs so it makes sense that it would work the same with the real cards as well. I don't think there's anything region-specific in the saves themselves, hence why it works easily, albeit your name, nicknames, box names and other stuff remains in Japanese :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just bought Black at the weekend and have to say it's definitely the hardest in-game Pokemon game I've played.

Not bought one of these games since Ruby. When did they introduce the fluctuating experience gain based on level difference?

I'd say it's great for end game raising of lower level pokemon, but makes grinding for levels a lot harder.

Think I'll stick with my current six (Servine/Panpour/Munna/Sawk/Tranquill/Lillipup) until after the E4 and then start experimenting with lots of the new Pokemon in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

I restarted White a couple days ago (again). Gonna see this one through so I can trade Zekrom and Thunderous over to my Black and up the 'dex. Just past Castelia now. Current team is Pignite (Vulcan), Liepard (Vixen), Woobat (Vortex), Tranquill (Vertical), Pansage (Vegan) and Blitzle (Voltage).

When did they introduce the fluctuating experience gain based on level difference?

Just now, in Gen 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

My Pokèmon White is actually nearly full. As in no room to catch or hatch new pokèmon... I'm thinking I'm going to have to get Black for extra room. In hindsite I think sending all your pokèmon from all your previous games was a bad idea... Whoops :L

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Where's this gen's Pokémon box when you need it :(

Did you unlock all the PC boxes?

Did you unlock all the PC boxes?

Haha yup :D I've about 8 or so spaces left, and I still have to catch the musketeers and the ice dragon...

Finally finished the E4 last week. Forgot about the b@$t@rd ramp in NPC 'mon levels up to mid 60's for the 2nd half of the map... but it's surprisingly easy to walk all the way from the 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock avoiding npcs - think I had to fight 2 in total. Just need to track down the legends now.

In terms of levelling, after the E4 you can face off against Level 47-50 Audino - there's a convenient strip of grass just before the white forest - which with a lucky egg will easily get you up to level 60-70 comfortably without the grind getting you down too much. Even more so if using a traded 'mon. I've been raising the levels on traded pokemon using Exp share there, a Level 1 can get around 11,000 exp points and jump up to mid-twenties in one fight! You can easily raise most normal mon to their 3rd evo with minimal impact on their EVs.

Banjo wrote: »
    In terms of levelling, after the E4 you can face off against Level 47-50 Audino - there's a convenient strip of grass just before the white forest - which with a lucky egg will easily get you up to level 60-70 comfortably without the grind getting you down too much. Even more so if using a traded 'mon. I've been raising the levels on traded pokemon using Exp share there, a Level 1 can get around 11,000 exp points and jump up to mid-twenties in one fight! You can easily raise most normal mon to their 3rd evo with minimal impact on their EVs.

That sound tres interesting. I tend to level to about 20/25, then EV train in one of my chosen locations. By the end, they're usually early 30's, then I train in the Halls. This'll be interesting.

Also, teamwise, now we have Emboar (Vulcan), Zebstrika (Voltage), Krokorok (Vengeance), Deerling (Vernal), Tirtouga (Valiance) and Sigilyph (Vigilance), just past Driftveil.

• Advertisement

Urizen wrote: »

Also, teamwise, now we have Emboar (Vulcan), Zebstrika (Voltage), Krokorok (Vengeance), Deerling (Vernal), Tirtouga (Valiance) and Sigilyph (Vigilance), just past Driftveil.

Got bit of a V theme going on have we? Lol

SamIAmNot wrote: »
    Got bit of a V theme going on have we? Lol

I always theme my 'mon. My Black AllGen team is named after the Endless (all D), my Black Endgame team was Occultists (at the start anyway), my SoulSilver team is named after Greek Titans. And my White Endgame team will all begin with V. Agent Smith would be proud :D

I officially hate Emolgo or whatever that Electric/Flying pokemon that uses Double Team is.

I officially hate Emolgo or whatever that Electric/Flying pokemon that uses Double Team is.

I only hate it because Gym guy says 'Electric types don't do well against Ground'. Well, we know that. Out ya come Sandile. First mon out: Emolga. Immune to Ground. Le bleh.

#fúckingemolgas

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

TheChrisD wrote: »
    #fúckingemolgas
    You should make a Facebook page on it...

Beat her last night finally. Rogenrolla or whatever it's called served me well.

I assume Relic Castle is something I have to come back to later?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 The_Consumer

I have been since today using an experience share on a hard to find bold natured Yamask for it to evolve into Cofagrigus..it resulted in battling the elite four 3 times (and winning) and now it is at level 71...and im wondering is this a good idea for my Cofagrigus?
    Cofagrigus (Leftovers) (bold)
    Will-o-wisp
    Shadow ball
    Calm mind
    Hidden power (fighting)
    evs: 252 defence 252 hp 4 special

^ from Smogon...

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

I have been since today using an experience share on a hard to find bold natured Yamask for it to evolve into Cofagrigus..it resulted in battling the elite four 3 times (and winning) and now it is at level 71...and im wondering is this a good idea for my Cofagrigus?
    Cofagrigus (Leftovers) (bold)
    Will-o-wisp
    Shadow ball
    Calm mind
    Hidden power (fighting)
    evs: 252 defence 252 hp 4 special

^ from Smogon...
    The question is more: What role do you want Cofagrigus to achieve?
    Do you need it to stall? Do you want it to tank? Do you want it to be a support? Do you want it to regular or Trick Room sweep? Will it be used for Single, Double, Rotation or Triple battles?

Consider all these options before starting. Smogon movesets are designed for singles battles and mostly for Pokémon Online for a few clicks gets you perfect IVs, hidden power etc.

Some fresh ideas for movesets:

Stall @ Leftovers
    252 Def, 252 S.D, 4 HP
    Curse/Hex (if running Will-o-Wisp)
    Toxic/Will-O-wisp
    Protect
    Substitute
    Notes: Works well, only pitfalls are getting a Taunt and the choice of poison or burn.

Tank @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
    252 Def, 252 S.D, 4 HP
    Rest
    Toxic/Will-O-wisp/Swagger
    Protect
    Substitute
    Notes: Same as Stall really

Support @ Mental Herb
    252 Def, 252 S.D, 4 HP
    Trick Room
    Telekinesis/Protect
    Safeguard
    Shadow Ball/Rest/Imprison (egg)
    Notes: Set up Trick Room, make the opponent easier to hit, Safeguard to prevent statuses, and either Rest or attack, Imprison to prevent the opponent team using any of your moves.

Regular/Trick Room Sweeper @ Life Orb/Expert belt
    252 S.A, 252 Def, 4 HP
    Nasty Plot (egg)
    Shadow Ball
    Grass Knot
    Psychic
    Notes
    Notes: Nasty Plot and keep hitting things, job done.

Other fun options involve Telekinesis and Mean Look, opponent has to stay in and get hit easier. Power Spilt against a Physical Sweeper to cripple them. Guard Spilt on your own Sweeper to make them harder to take out. Then there's playing with the ability, switching in Cofagigus on an expected contact move changes the target's ability to the useless Mummy. Also getting your own creature to hit Cofagigus to remove their ability (i.e. Slaking, Regigigas).

Have fun playing and consider all options, not just the standard :)

I recently discovered how unbalanced the games are. In black its possible to get every non-legendary mon via GTS, where as in white you can't! I'm of course refering to Vullaby and its evlovement whoes name eludes me right now.
    I know I can orgazine a trade on here for one eventually, but it just annoys me that I can't get it via GTS. Plus its not fair on people who aren't on sites like these where they can orgainze trades!!!

Pheww... venting over ;P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I recently discovered how unbalanced the games are. In black its possible to get every non-legendary mon via GTS, where as in white you can't! I'm of course refering to Vullaby and its evlovement whoes name eludes me right now.
    I know I can orgazine a trade on here for one eventually, but it just annoys me that I can't get it via GTS. Plus its not fair on people who aren't on sites like these where they can orgainze trades!!!

Pheww... venting over ;P

I can breed a vullaby for you if you want! Just let me know :) What do you mean you can't get non legendaries off the GTS, it's the same GTS no? :P

I don't think you can see a Vullaby in White where you can see a Braviary or whatever it's called in Black, so you can complete your B/W Pokedex (excluding Legends) using only a solo game, GTS and breeding. Since you can't trade for something you haven't seen on GTS, White requires that someone offers you a Vullaby.

Ahh now I get ya! Having a bit of a slow night :o

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Ok need Grimer Voltorb Diglett Meowth Tauros Natu Phanpy Teddiursa Skarmory and Tentacool can get anything for these pokemon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ok need Grimer Voltorb Diglett Meowth Tauros Natu Phanpy Teddiursa Skarmory and Tentacool can get anything for these pokemon
    Pretty sure Taurus is catchable in black/white. Stop being so lazy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Hes not your thinking of bouffalant

Well, Dream World iirc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Audino makes leveling up in this so easy.

uh-oh! I completely cracked and bought Black. Picked it up in Argos. I really wanted to play the game again but couldn't with White because of ALL my Pokémon are on it.

Only thing that annoys me is I can't get the Liberty Ticket now D:

• Advertisement

uh-oh! I completely cracked and bought Black. Picked it up in Argos. I really wanted to play the game again but couldn't with White because of ALL my Pokémon are on it.

Only thing that annoys me is I can't get the Liberty Ticket now D:

Exact same boat I was in :(

Advertisement