Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrestlemania 27 pre show thread. Will contain Royal Rumble and EC Spoilers etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Can't wait for WM... I'm saving my 1000th post for my thoughts on how it was!

what do you mean?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

jaykhunter wrote: »
    what do you mean?

trying to get him to waste 998 are we Jayk? :pac:

Monday and Tuesday are national holidays in Taiwan... woo im watching mania despite wrestling being on when id normally have to get up for work!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Can't wait for WM... I'm saving my 1000th post for my thoughts on how it was!

Yeah i'll do the same! Gotta make 80 posts in 4 or 5 days though lol

trying to get him to waste 998 are we Jayk? :pac:

:pac:
    Charisteas wrote: »
    Yeah i'll do the same! Gotta make 80 posts in 4 or 5 days though lol

There it is lol. Better get
    someone
    and get into a few arguments to boost your number quick

Funny thing is, even though aforementioned someone likes arguing with other posters, I find myself agreeing with his point of view more often than not :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Just looking through the prediction thread,is the Snookie thats involved that wreck from Jersery Shore?

southpark_snooki.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Just looking through the prediction thread,is the Snookie thats involved that wreck from Jersery Shore?

southpark_snooki.jpg

Yep,that's her

Jesus wept.

2 gimmick matches on what looks a weak card.

The only one on it that Id have any interest in is the Bryan match.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea i feel sorry for people like Kofi/Mc Intyre tbh being left out. What was the point in Barrett getting the IC belt? Either have him face Kofi at WM or after

Jesus wept.

2 gimmick matches on what looks a weak card.

The only one on it that Id have any interest in is the Bryan match.

I can't wait to see Cole in a wrestling singlet and get battered by Lawler. Best built-up match at Mania imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

SlickRic wrote: »
    Cena v Miz should end the show.

1) it's the Title Match - and wherever possible, the title match should go on last.

2) nobody should really come on after The Rock on this PPV. your'e risking a whole lot doing that.

3) i could not be arsed looking at Taker's fúcking face with his tongue out and the 19-0 on the screen. that whole thing is becoming mighty tedious as the final image of Wrestlemania the last few years.

now, i realise HHH/Taker will probably be the best match, and so following that from a match perspective might be impossible for Cena and Miz, but with the help of Rocky, i really think they can pull it off, depending, critically, on what the finish is going to be.

Legit LOL for the bolded part. So true. I agree Miz/Cena has to go last.

I'm also a bit more concerned about the potential quality of HHH/Taker. taker is in pretty bad shape if reports are to be believed and HHH himself isn't long back from injury. Its telling they felt the need to add the "no holds barred" gimmick, I tink they'll use it to cover both men's deficiencies. HHH is no HBK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I can't wait to see Cole in a wrestling singlet and get battered by Lawler. Best built-up match at Mania imo

Hope he wears the amateur wrestling headgear a la Rick Steiner :pac:

Crap like that might have been funny with Andy Kaufman 30 years ago but it has no place at a Wrestlemania IMO.

Crap like that might have been funny with Andy Kaufman 30 years ago but it has no place at a Wrestlemania IMO.

Its the most I've wanted a heel to get his comeuppance since I was about 8. Any match that does that deserves its spot on the biggest card of the year. You need all types of matches to make a well-rounded card.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its the most I've wanted a heel to get his comeuppance since I was about 8. Any match that does that deserves its spot on the biggest card of the year. You need all types of matches to make a well-rounded card.

What will it be though?

My guess is a 5 minute squash.

Whoop de doo.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Cena v Miz should end the show.

1) it's the Title Match - and wherever possible, the title match should go on last.

2) nobody should really come on after The Rock on this PPV. your'e risking a whole lot doing that.

3) i could not be arsed looking at Taker's fúcking face with his tongue out and the 19-0 on the screen. that whole thing is becoming mighty tedious as the final image of Wrestlemania the last few years.

I agree completely. Having Taker/HHH on last smacks of two previous 'main event' outings HHH had (vs Jericho @ X8, vs Orton @ 25) which both died a sorry death. The 'emotional highpoint' is Rock/Cena/Miz and anything that follows it will be completely flat. I guess some people never learn :o

What will it be though?

Whoop de doo.

If thats all it is then no harm done, right? You'd hardly prefer 20 minutes of absolute sh*te like we got with Bret and Vince last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

On paper your probably right.

But they have executed this build up perfectly.
    So i actually hope it gets a little bit of time for it.

Wanna see austin lose the head with Cole as well. :pac:

Generally I'd take Otis' point of view w/r/t basically an angle getting a match at mania but you (and by that I mean me) can't argue with the massive amount of heat Cole has gotten and conversely the pops for Lawler. Every time they do something, the crowd solidly gets behind lawler and is dying for Cole to get his comeuppance. It takes Orton punting people every week for him to get the pop Cole/Lawler do with a promo and little physicality.

I believe involving Lawler was a one-time thing when Miz was champion, but it got over so well, that they decided to test the waters with featuring him again and adding the "never gone to WM" storyline. Every time they do something on RAW it gets a massive response and tons of praise. It's the match I'm looking forward to most at mania and with Taker/HHH being generally kinda flat and Miz/Cena having little heat of their own (it's all about Rock) I imagine a lot of fans feel the same way.

In any case it'll be an in-and-out 5 minute match that'll conclude the storyline. Just take a toilet break and make some tea and that'll be that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

its been brilliantly built up, has meant a push for swagger, has given jerry lawler a long deserved mania match, has seen the return of lawler jr, jr and jbl, and we have austin as ref which gave us a great segment on raw.

most people consider WM17 to be the greatest mania ever and that mania had a gimmick battle royale where the winner struggled to make it into the ring
    What will it be though?

Whoop de doo.

i certainly hope it doesnt go more than 10mins,again going back to mania 17 that had a match that went 2mins (chyna and ivory) and another that went 3mins (6man tag), the early manias were littered with short matches, only 2 matches from 12 at mania 3 lasted more than 9 mins,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

rossie1977 wrote: »
    most people consider WM17 to be the greatest mania ever and that mania had a gimmick battle royale where the winner struggled to make it into the ring

Myes. I think Cole/Lawler could go either way. For every gimmick battle royal and Mayweather/Big Show, there's Akebono/Big Show and the disappointing Hart/McMahon. Your mileage may vary.

Just an observation, but of the 9 matches booked so far, only 2 of the matches don't feature anyone who was already with WWE or WCW in the 90's

The Miz vs John Cena - involvement from The Rock
    Edge vs Alberto Del Rio - involvement from Christian
    The Undertaker vs Triple H - involvement from Shawn Michaels
    Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes
    Jerry Lawler vs Michael Cole - Involvement from Steve Austin, Jim Ross, Grandmaster Sexay, Bradshaw
    John Morrison, Trish Stratus & Snooki vs Dolph Ziggler & Lay-cool
    Big Show, Kane, Santino Marella & Vladimir Kozlov vs The Corre

That's a whopping 15 people.

Just Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan, and Randy Orton vs CM Punk escape the 90's trial.

Like I said, just an observation, most of those guys I wish could just stay young forever!

CMpunked wrote: »
    Wanna see austin lose the head with Cole as well. :pac:

Cole should try and get The Uso's in his corner too because their Dad ran down Austin 12 years ago, so there's some history to be exploited there.

I think it would've been cool to get a whole nostalgia/WCW gimmick for this year's wrestlemania. I'm just spit-ballin' here...

Sting vs Undertaker
    Cena vs Hulk Hogan (or Austin if you could cajole him)
    Nash/Booker vs Sheamus/Barrett

and you can still do your
    Punk vs Orton
    Miz (c) vs Morrison
    Get Edge & Christian in there
    Rey Mysterio (c) vs Alberto Del Rio
    Cole vs Lawler
    Old School Battle Royal (basically the Gimmick Battle Royal - bring in old names for a larf)
    MITB for whoever I've left out.

That took longer to write than it did to think up.

Or they could have just had the WCW gimmick and the legends battle-royal as one and the same. Just these 10 guys in a battle royal would have been enough to get an extra 50,000 - 100,000 buys I reckon.

Arn Anderson
    Lex Luger
    Bret Hart
    Goldberg
    Booker T
    Kevin Nash
    Road Warrior Animal
    Ricky Steamboat
    Sid Vicious
    Diamond Dallas Page

Charisteas wrote: »
    Arn Anderson
    Lex Luger
    Bret Hart
    Goldberg
    Booker T
    Kevin Nash
    Road Warrior Animal
    Ricky Steamboat
    Sid Vicious
    Diamond Dallas Page

If Vince came to you and asked to select a member of the WWE roster to face each of these opponents (either in singles, tag, group etc) who would you pitch and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,868 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kevin Nash announced on his Twitter account that he will be on hand for this weekend's WrestleMania Axxess festivities at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta, Georgia. He appears at the event Saturday from 3 to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to noon.

Do you think he might show up and be part of the main show also? Maybe help Corre win or help Kane's team win?m 10 a.m. to noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,180 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I agree completely. Having Taker/HHH on last smacks of two previous 'main event' outings HHH had (vs Jericho @ X8, vs Orton @ 25) which both died a sorry death. The 'emotional highpoint' is Rock/Cena/Miz and anything that follows it will be completely flat. I guess some people never learn :o

if HHH/Taker goes on last, the fúcking ludicrous thing is that HHH will be going against the very logic that he prescribed to after WM X8, according to that 'True Story of Wrestlemania' documentary.

he said himself that HE asked on that night for Rock/Hogan to go on last, and his match v Jericho, atmosphere-wise, couldn't compete, as he said he expected, because of the emotional high of Rock/Hogan.

plus, he's talked on the other side of his mouth before and said that the title match at Mania should always be the last match.

so if HHH, seeing as he has arguably even more power now, allows him and Taker to go on after Cena/Miz/Rock, seen as that's the title match, and it is, let's face it, what's drawing the most fans, and is where the emotional high will be, then he is not only stupid, as well as egotistical, but he is also an horrendous hypocrite.

obviously Vince has the final decision, but i'm sure the likes of HHH, and Taker for that matter, can honestly go up to him and say something along the lines of....
    "listen, i know The Streak is a big deal. i know that we've advertised WM for the last few years as pretty much The Undertaker's PPV. even Cena pretty much said it in a promo vid for our match. but Vince, the fans want to see The Rock and Cena. that is where the most emotion is. that is where the divide between young and old, 'attitude' and 'now' - all the things that make the WM atmosphere so special in many ways are. yes, we are 2 legends, but let's face it...Taker's banged up, i'm a little rusty....we can tell a good story, and may still make critics' MOTN, but the majority fans want to see The Rock and Cena face off. also, it's the title. we have to start making that mean something. yes Undertaker was on last last year and it worked; but that was HBK. i'm not HBK. and we didn't have The Rock on the show....that is the Main Event Vince"

maybe i'm asking too much?! :D

also, to those moaning about Miz not being a big deal in this feud...unfortunately, the reality is, he's not a big deal. like it or not, the WWE is focussing on where the money is. and even though fans won't get the payoff on Cena/Rock in a match at WM, the reality is that fans will pay to see what happens there before they pay to see what happens between Miz and Cena.

we can't blame WWE for doing that, especially at this time of year.

we can blame them for not making the likes of Miz a bigger star in the eyes of the public up to the Road to Wrestlemania; but right now, WWE are doing absolutely the right thing for business by making the Rock/Cena feud the centrepiece. it's just the way it is. Miz will hopefully get a rub going forward from just interracting with these 2 greats.

my 2c anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I don't agree that Cena/Miz will be emotional centre piece. There is a strong chance it could be pretty flat, save for whatever The Rock does at the end. It could conceivably have a great moment were Cena to turn heel. But otherwise it will likely see a huge amount of booing when Cena wins and if fans don't get The Rock/Cena confrontation they expect. Both are just guesses depending on what could happen, but it's not written in stone this match will be the emotional centre piece.

A better argument for me is to say it is the WWE title match and should go on last because of that. But the WWE title seems to be a sidenote in the feud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do you think he (Kevin Nash) might show up and be part of the main show also? Maybe help Corre win or help Kane's team win?

Id say he is going to have some sort of involvement with the E - if not at WM itself then after. WWE have designed him a new tshirt:

wall6050_17094483_wir009153.gifwall6051_17094484_wir009154.gif

Advertisement