Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

mixed up wrote: »
    I don't want to be a bouncer but thanks all the same i think i'll just enjoy myself in the nightclubs instead of standing at a door all night trying to convince myself i'm important.
    Stop trying to be antagonizing for gods sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I don't want to be a bouncer but thanks all the same i think i'll just enjoy myself in the nightclubs instead of standing at a door all night trying to convince myself i'm important.

Your loss. I'll just continue fapping off to my own feelings of authority, and eject my gooey self-satisfaction over all the faces of any punter wishing to have a good time.

And on that note, I'm going to stop feeding the trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

Your loss. I'll just continue fapping off to my own feelings of authority, and eject my gooey self-satisfaction over all the faces of any punter wishing to have a good time.

And on that note, I'm going to stop feeding the trolls.

The physique of most bouncers in ireland it's not trolls they feed it's themselves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I've told you already mate, it's been a good 3-4 years since my PSA test. I can't recall the exact acts. Security guards don't carry around PSA legislation in their back pocket. But by all means feel free to make any enquiries yourself...

http://www.psa.gov.ie/

leggo wrote: »
    I've told you already mate, it's been a good 3-4 years since my PSA test. I can't recall the exact acts. Security guards don't carry around PSA legislation in their back pocket. But by all means feel free to make any enquiries yourself...

http://www.psa.gov.ie/

You're wasting your time with the PSA. They're the most incompetent, self-serving crooks I've ever had the displeasure of dealing with. Do enquire, though, by all means, just don't rely on anything they tell you.

• Advertisement

The physique of most bouncers in ireland it's not trolls they feed it's themselves :D

Give up man. I'd be the first to take the piss out of bouncers/security if it was funny...but you're really not. It's coming across as desperate at this stage.

Give up man. I'd be the first to take the piss out of bouncers/security if it was funny...but you're really not. It's coming across as desperate at this stage.

Ignore him and he'll go away. Fúckin' trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

When I was in first year, my mate and I left the college bar after having quite a few to drink. I left a minute or so after him and when I got outside I saw that he was in a scuffle with someone and stepped between them, trying to break them up. I didn't realise at the time but the other person was a bouncer and while I was trying to separate them I got a punch from someone else who turned out to be a bouncer. Before we knew it there were about a dozen of them around us and we were soon restrained. While we were being restrained I didn't say a word, not wanting to make the situation worse, but out of the blue I got an elbow to the face from one of them who happened to be standing close by me. Of course none of the others saw it.

Then another time I was going into a club in town and a friend of mine, despite my trying to convince him not to, tried to smuggle in some drink in a plastic bottle. There was a new bouncer there and decided to search my friend and of course found the drink. The other one at the door, who knew my friend as he was a regular, told us to go off and finish the drink and come back in a few minutes. We did so and got in no problem.

There are some thugs and some gents. Just like any other job. The difference being that the perceived power can go to some people's heads.

There are some thugs and some gents. Just like any other job. The difference being that the perceived power can go to some people's heads.

I agree, there are thugs and gents, but perceived power usually isn't the issue. I'm speaking for myself and the other people I work with when I say that none of us have ever considered to be in a position of "power". Sure, we have some authority, but that doesn't extend past the nightlcub doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

At the end of the day, bouncers are not some sort of superiour beings, they're people just like the rest of us. Of course you're gonna get a few c*nts, as in any job, but they are in the minority.

I for one respect them for the amount of drunken crap they have to put up with in their jobs and it must be pretty damn hard to make 10 second decisions on who is okay to let in and who is not.

Let most people giving out about bouncers spend 1 day doing their job and see how it changes their mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Aoifey! wrote: »
    At the end of the day, bouncers are not some sort of superiour beings, they people just like the rest of us. Of course you're gonna get a few c*unts, as in any job, but they are in the minority.

I for one respect them for the amount of drunken crap they have to put up with in their jobs and it must be pretty damn hard to make 10 second decisions on who is okay to let in and who is not.

Let most people giving out about vouncers spend 1 day doing their job and see how it changes their mind.
    good post. I wouldn't leave anyone in cos I'm a bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There's a very good chance he's talking about me, because that is very much the case in the nightclub I work in, and I have explained this to people before. It's not like there's some omniscient overseer in some office somewhere, scrutinising my every move, but the managers do spend a fair amount of time watching the cameras, and I have gotten a bóllocking before for letting people in who were refused at another entrance, letting friends in, and just not being careful enough with who I was letting in. Believe me, in the majority of cases refusing people actually just creates more hassle as you have to deal with them mouthing off, but it has to be done.

See thats completely different to the story than was given. I've worked places like that too. But to say that someone is sitting at a camera making decisions on each and every punter is a spoof.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

seanybiker wrote: »
    good post. I wouldn't leave anyone in cos I'm a bollox.

You wouldn't leave anyone in? What does this mean?
    :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bluewolf wrote: »
    You wouldn't leave anyone in? What does this mean?
    :confused:

throw everyone out, keep the whole bat to himself :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

throw everyone out, keep the whole bat to himself :-)

Good luck to him trying to throw everyone out of a full bar before closing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

bluewolf wrote: »
    Good luck to him trying to throw everyone out of a full bar before closing! :D

easy. just stick on a christmas album

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

OK folks. No more of the speculation about any ongoing investigations etc. He said / she saw / I heard from.... stuff is not welcome here. Please contact the Gardai if you have any information.

See thats completely different to the story than was given. I've worked places like that too. But to say that someone is sitting at a camera making decisions on each and every punter is a spoof.

Ah, his story wasn't too far off. All he said was that there's someone in the camera room "calling the shots", which is pretty much the case, more or less.

Ah, his story wasn't too far off. All he said was that there's someone in the camera room "calling the shots", which is pretty much the case, more or less.

To qoute;
    A guy I know is a bouncer for a well known bar/club in the city centre, he says he hates it with all his guts. Probably one of the loveliest guys I've ever had the pleasure to meet. He says that its not him that gets to decide who gets in or not but somebody watching with a camera in a room somewhere and that he has had to on occasion refuse entry to friends of his. He says the entire process is soul destroying and I can understand why.

Only an idiot would work for a club like that, or expect someone to believe it.

If I want to pay someone from the neck down, and I'd have to be really very badly stuck for bodies I'd put them on the floor and keep them well away from fronting the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

To qoute;

If I want to pay someone from the neck down, and I'd have to be really very badly stuck for bodies I'd put them on the floor and keep them well away from fronting the door.

Luckily enough for that club that a lot of bouncers meet that criteria!

• Advertisement

To qoute;

It's an old excuse given by (smart) bouncers who want to take the heat off themselves, especially during busier nights when they couldn't be arsed getting into arguments. A quick imaginary conversation on the earpiece, "Sorry mate, boss says not tonight" while pointing to the camera, the drunk then shouts at the camera for a while before walking off.

But it is done in some nightclubs when there are cameras at the door. As was said already, it's more a case of if the manager is sitting in the office anyway making sure security are doing their job while getting paperwork done than someone sitting in the back giving every punter the yay or nay.

In the case where a guy is refusing his mates...it's a GREAT way to get some mates off your back. We all have people who we get on with but who are trouble and will think they're untouchable because they're friends with the bouncers.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Luckily enough for that club that a lot of bouncers meet that criteria!

Not really. Some are students with little or no experience before going on the job and just 'wing it' for awhile.. God, I hate working with students but sometimes needs must.

There are some idiots working the doors, usually for security companies who do little or no checks beyond taking the word of a mate who has another mate with a licence who is looking for work.

And yes there are thugs, and bullies - but usually they won't be around too long because one of two things normally happen, either their actions will put them in court in time or a swift kick in the bollox from a punter will usually put manners on them and they'll feck off to easier pastures.. And I might add there's a third, the head doorman or manager who will have lots of experience dealing with poor doorstaff will send them on their way pretty sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

A guy I know was bouncing a club in the States and was unhappy with his wage so he takes it upon himself to supplement it.

On Wednesdays there was always a band playing and it was always free in but he decided one night it would be $10 cover charge. Managed to pull in a few hundred dollars that night on the strength of his nerve. Not bad.

<no I didn't read the rest of the thread>

It's an old excuse given by (smart) bouncers who want to take the heat off themselves, especially during busier nights when they couldn't be arsed getting into arguments.

Yup, chicken sh*t, lazy dopes who can't make the call themselves so blame someone else.

If the door is too busy to handle, pay a decent wage and get good lads to front the door.

Sorry, you're right, I should have read back to make sure rather than relying on my píss poor memory :p
    It's an old excuse given by (smart) bouncers who want to take the heat off themselves, especially during busier nights when they couldn't be arsed getting into arguments. A quick imaginary conversation on the earpiece, "Sorry mate, boss says not tonight" while pointing to the camera, the drunk then shouts at the camera for a while before walking off.

But it is done in some nightclubs when there are cameras at the door. As was said already, it's more a case of if the manager is sitting in the office anyway making sure security are doing their job while getting paperwork done than someone sitting in the back giving every punter the yay or nay.

In the case where a guy is refusing his mates...it's a GREAT way to get some mates off your back. We all have people who we get on with but who are trouble and will think they're untouchable because they're friends with the bouncers.

Precisely, but on the odd occasions I actually have had to refuse my mates due to things my manager would have previously said that night.
    Not really. Some are students with little or no experience before going on the job and just 'wing it' for awhile.

There are some idiots working the doors, usually for security companies who do little or no checks beyond taking the word of a mate who has another mate with a licence who is looking for work.

And yes there are thugs, and bullies - but usually they won't be around too long because one of two things normally happen, either their actions will put them in court in time or a swift kick in the bollox from a punter will usually put manners on them and they'll feck off to easier pastures.. And I might add there's a third, the head doorman or manager who will have lots of experience dealing with poor doorstaff will send them on their way pretty sharpish.

Very, very true. Any smart manager/head doorman who doesn't want his club getting a reputation for harbouring thugs will get rid of thick, aggressive bullies very quickly. What most people don't see is that, at least in the club I work, the doormen have to write reports if they remove someone, are attacked by someone, or give medical aid.

enda1 wrote: »
    A guy I know was bouncing a club in the States and was unhappy with his wage so he takes it upon himself to supplement it.

On Wednesdays there was always a band playing and it was always free in but he decided one night it would be $10 cover charge. Managed to pull in a few hundred dollars that night on the strength of his nerve. Not bad.

Something similar used to happen here years ago before we had a proper night club licence - here's where I put years on myself!.

A pub was granted a licence for a restaurant with music.. so the premises had to have hot food available.. So the punter was issued a ticket on entrance to the club and a member of staff took the ticket, tore it in half and was suppose keep the remaining half.. But if you wanted to make a few quid you gave the half ticket back to the girl on the ticket desk, she would re-issue that ticket and you'd split the money between you both.

I never did it, but I got the offer to be in on it a few times. But its just not me.

Anyone remember getting grub in clubs before?... Anyone ever get chucked out of one of those clubs, and when you asked for your jacket wondered why there was chicken curry in all your pockets, lol..

Anyone ever get chucked out of one of those clubs, and when you asked for your jacket wondered why there was chicken curry in all your pockets, lol..

WTF? :p

at least in the club I work, the doormen have to write reports if they remove someone, are attacked by someone, or give medical aid.

Thats very important.. I seen a case where a club was taken for over 40 grand in court because an incidence wasn't recorded either on camera or in an incident book and the owner was left totally defenceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

enda1 wrote: »

Still happens the odd time - If it's late and these's no one on the register, bouncer charges you and pockets the money

• Advertisement

WTF? :p

Yup!.. Terry (was a Mod here) might have experienced that when I was out his way (Leixlip)!.

'Thugs' - might sound like I'm defending them, and I'm not in any way.. But sometimes you 'have to hire a thief to catch a thief', and I've worked in a few places where you needed bangers on the door and floor or you'd be eaten alive.

An example of that, I won't mention the club.. But back in the day when the Garda station in Leixlip closed at 11pm the place was like Fort Apache!.. That village was like hell on earth after 11pm and by far the most violent place I've ever worked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement