Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Wrong, just because you encountered a cnut doesn't make them all cnuts... Actually, most bouncers are fine, a good chunk of them are cnuts.

Were you moving or were you not? Regardless of what you done, he shouldn't have grabbed your throat and assaulted you. Sounds like a porky pie though...

Wrong? How are my impressions of my direct experiences 'wrong?' Also, read my post again; the story I related was not a story to argue that all bouncers are cunts - it was merely used to demonstrate that bouncers aren't worthy of undue consideration. It is my contention that refusing to engage bouncers in their typical entry / refusal power dynamic is the best course of action. This should not be confused with an assertion that all bouncers are cunts - especially as I already made a distinction between different types of bouncers earlier in the post. So - I really don't know where you're getting your argument from. Bit of a strawman, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Stevo1011 wrote: »

they all wear the same leather jackets from Unique with their Dunnes stores smart shoes

Yeah lets judge them all on the clothes they wear and where they bought them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Poccington wrote: »
    There's one bloke that works the doors on Flannery's who refuses to let any bloke he recognises as working in Cathal Brugha Barracks into the pub.

It's hilarious, considering he serves in the Brugha himself

Why does it sound like a lie exactly?

Getting grabbed by the throat, knocked out and thrown out onto a street for no reason? Yea, happens all the time...

jd007 wrote: »

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The Private Security Authority are responsible for issuing licences to door staff & is just another government quango, and just as useless as most of the other's.

Btw whats are "grassholes"?.

grasshole is a polite way of describing someone who is acting like a anus :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Stevo1011

jd007 wrote: »

I could of judged them on their lack of manners but thats been done already :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Never had trouble with bouncers because they're usually bigger than me and I dont like getting battered.

Bouncers, ladies and gentleman, are more often than not life's failures. I knew some who did the gig as a means to support themselves through college and they tended to be the sounder types. The ones who do the job because it's the only job they're qualified to do tend to be absolutely horrendous human beings. Power-tripping fatty bald pervs. When I was younger I did get bothered by bouncer nonsense but as I got older, and my priorities shifted, I stopped caring. Here's why:

A number of years ago I agreed to meet friends in Flannery's bar on Camden street. (Now, this was after the place was refurbished, extended out the back and ruined.) I was running late simply because I wasn't in the mood of going to Flannery's so I stayed at home a little longer than usual. I got to the bar and made for the door. I got the arm across the chest routine so stood back and waited for the bouncer to speak.
    'Had a few tonight?'
    'Actually no - just coming out now.'
    'Where you coming from?'
    'Home.'
    'Where's home?'
    'What?'
    'Not tonight bud.'
    '...' I then took my phone from my pocket and called my friends, who were inside. I told them what was happening in full earshot of the bouncer. I didn't get angry; I didn't swear or insult the bouncer. I merely told them that I wasn't being allowed in, didn't know why, and that we should probably go somewhere else. They agreed. I was standing off to the side, out of the way of the entrance, looking up towards Rathmines. The bouncer then opened the door.
    'Go on,' he said - attempting to appear magmanimous.
    'No - that's alright,' I replied and waited for my friends to leave the bar. They were all outside with me less than five minutes later and we just went somewhere else. I didn't bother calling the bar or complaining - just voted with my feet. It's just a bar, after all.

It's also nice to take power away from somebody like that; the only power he has is in granting / refusing entry to a bar. Bouncers actually thrive on situations where people, usually intoxicated, remonstrate with them. It validates their position. When you demonstrate that you don't care, the 'power' is gone.

My point wasnt all bouncers are grassholes some are the nicest youd meet. Not that they have to be nice but its desirable that their at least fair and act legally! There is some bad ones and I was wondering would there be some way to hold ones accountable for acting illegaly say. fair play to you man you acted responsibly and more mature than I often would!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Some are grand, some are really friendly, some are c*nts and some grab people by the throat and smash peole off the pavement!

Poccington wrote: »
    There's one bloke that works the doors on Flannery's who refuses to let any bloke he recognises as working in Cathal Brugha Barracks into the pub.

It's hilarious, considering he serves in the Brugha himself

Why does he do that?? Surely thats not a good way to make friends with your work mates!

• Advertisement

Getting grabbed by the throat, knocked out and thrown out onto a street for no reason? Yea, happens all the time...

I have at least one friend who was assaulted in a certain club in stillorgan so it does happen. This was also for getting his coat fast enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Bouncers, ladies and gentleman, are more often than not life's failures. I knew some who did the gig as a means to support themselves through college and they tended to be the sounder types. The ones who do the job because it's the only job they're qualified to do tend to be absolutely horrendous human beings. Power-tripping fatty bald pervs. When I was younger I did get bothered by bouncer nonsense but as I got older, and my priorities shifted, I stopped caring. Here's why:

A number of years ago I agreed to meet friends in Flannery's bar on Camden street. (Now, this was after the place was refurbished, extended out the back and ruined.) I was running late simply because I wasn't in the mood of going to Flannery's so I stayed at home a little longer than usual. I got to the bar and made for the door. I got the arm across the chest routine so stood back and waited for the bouncer to speak.
    'Had a few tonight?'
    'Actually no - just coming out now.'
    'Where you coming from?'
    'Home.'
    'Where's home?'
    'What?'
    'Not tonight bud.'
    '...' I then took my phone from my pocket and called my friends, who were inside. I told them what was happening in full earshot of the bouncer. I didn't get angry; I didn't swear or insult the bouncer. I merely told them that I wasn't being allowed in, didn't know why, and that we should probably go somewhere else. They agreed. I was standing off to the side, out of the way of the entrance, looking up towards Rathmines. The bouncer then opened the door.
    'Go on,' he said - attempting to appear magmanimous.
    'No - that's alright,' I replied and waited for my friends to leave the bar. They were all outside with me less than five minutes later and we just went somewhere else. I didn't bother calling the bar or complaining - just voted with my feet. It's just a bar, after all.

It's also nice to take power away from somebody like that; the only power he has is in granting / refusing entry to a bar. Bouncers actually thrive on situations where people, usually intoxicated, remonstrate with them. It validates their position. When you demonstrate that you don't care, the 'power' is gone.

Just highlighted some of your generalisations...

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I have at least one friend who was assaulted in a certain club in stillorgan so it does happen. This was also for getting his coat fast enough.

Who said it doesn't happen? It;s very difficult to believe that somebody got beat up because they "didn't get their coat fast enough".

My point wasnt all bouncers are grassholes some are the nicest youd meet. Not that they have to be nice but its desirable that their at least fair and act legally! There is some bad ones and I was wondering would there be some way to hold ones accountable for acting illegaly say. fair play to you man you acted responsibly and more mature than I often would!!

The only way you can do that is through the courts. Get as much information as you can at the time of the incident (without risking a further escalation) and notify the Gardai immediately. If you're assaulted by a bouncer you should call the Gardai. It's also a good idea to make sure that you have reliable witnesses.

The thing is, the Gardai will be suspicious of anybody accusing a bouncer of assault. That's not because they believe bouncers are whiter than white but because the chances are, as they see it, that the complainant is probably drunk, and may have instigated a confrontation.
    If and when you complain to a cop, make sure you're calm and collected as you can be, and explain the situation succinctly. It's essential that you don't appear too angry. A certain amount of anger is of course justified, but you also don't want to appear as a person who is prone to angry outbursts. The Gardai are also quite aware that bouncers are often enough instigators of violence or threatening behaviour. As long as you explain your situation reasonably, you will get satisfaction.

If your problem is more to do with a bouncer impinging on civil liberties then you'll need to go through a lawyer. Again, get as much info as you can at the time - then contact a lawyer as soon as possible and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Who said it doesn't happen? It;s very difficult to believe that somebody got beat up because they "didn't get their coat fast enough".

Wouldnt have believed it myself either till it happened.

Hey not trying to convince anyone but still its not hard to beleive their are thugs like this working in the industry!

Thanks. I didn't highlight them myself because I felt they stand out as generalisations fairly well by themselves. Then again, they also happen to be opinions based on personal experience and are not presented as facts. That's also very clear. No need for highlighting. I suppose though, in fairness to you, it does make it look nicer - a nice contrast against the blocks of fairly drab looking text. So there's something to be said for your alterations. Have you ever considered a career as a hairdresser?

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Wouldnt have believed it myself either till it happened.

+1

I have no problem saying its hard to beleive but it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

This one time I was in town and the bouncer wouldn't let me in.
    I began to question his decision, but just as I did that he grabbed me by the bollox, swirled me around, and inserted an index finger up my buttocks.

Just as this happened, a man carrying a rocket launcher modified to operate as a close-combat bouncer-repellent came to my rescue.

The bouncer dissolved into a million little poo particles and disappeared into the stormy atmosphere.

The guards arrived and proceeded to award me with the Blue Peter Honour and Bravery Against Bouncer Award. *

*All of the above story is made up, in keeping with 99.99% of the posts on this thread.

Folks that have issues with bouncers generally have trouble getting into pubs or clubs. Is that because they can't hold their drink? Look and/or act like potential troublemakers? Who knows. These types then go around slagging off bouncers, calling them fat, bald, roid head, Dunnes stores smart shoes clad thick bastads. How mature, no wonder ye can't get into pubs and clubs.

In over a decade of going to pubs and clubs throughout Ireland and the UK I have very very rarely been refused admission. So I don't have a problem with bouncers, in general I find them courteous, polite and professional.

Folks don't really appreciate how mellow the security staff are in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

the biggest problem I have with bouncers are those north side dublin bouncers with the accent in dublin city center - I remember going out one night to one of the clubs and was stopped at the entrance by a bouncer..

he asked me whether I was drinking much earlier in the thickest north side accent ever and I just had to say "sorry?" to him because I hadn't a notion what he'd said to me

put straight of the queue and told to go home because I had too many that night despite me not even have as much as a drink that night :mad:

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Folks that have issues with bouncers generally have trouble getting into pubs or clubs. Is that because they can't hold their drink? Look and/or act like potential troublemakers? Who knows. These types then go around slagging off bouncers, calling them fat, bald, roid head, Dunnes stores smart shoes clad thick bastads. How mature, no wonder ye can't get into pubs and clubs.

In over a decade of going to pubs and clubs throughout Ireland and the UK I have very very rarely been refused admission. So I don't have a problem with bouncers, in general I find them courteous, polite and professional.

What does a potentiel troublemaker look like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

They're not some kind of persecuted group, most of the time when they get abuse it is after they have inexplicably refused someone.

They don't bother me either way, I just tend to return to the places where I've experience good treatment from bouncers.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    They're not some kind of persecuted group, most of the time when they get abuse it is after they have inexplicably refused someone.

They don't bother me either way, I just tend to return to the places where I've experience good treatment from bouncers.

I never said they were, I said folks who have an issue with there are.................... see above post.

I think there's a lot of truth in what you're saying, as it happens. The problem with your argument though is that suffers from the same 'faults' that you are attacking in other people's arguments. That is to say, you disregard other's arguments on the basis of generalistic assumptions and then engage in them yourself. If you're going to have a generalized impression of something, it's unfair of you to attempt to deny others the same perspective. LOLZ:pac: Smiley face.

Very true :pac:

It must be awful to be the type of person that has trouble getting into pubs and clubs though.

Very true :pac:

It must be awful to be the type of person that has trouble getting into pubs and clubs though.

what type of person is that :s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

what type of person is that :s

the type of person who has trouble getting into pubs or clubs!
    keep up! :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    the type of person who has trouble getting into pubs or clubs!
    keep up! :D

That isnt a type of person really :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Stevo1011

so were agreed that bouncers are scum?? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Stevo1011 wrote: »
    so were agreed that bouncers are scum?? :)

Nope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement