Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

He said clubs in the City Centre though, I don't think any of them have security cameras outside them, but if there are I'd like to know.

I'd be surprised if there's a pub or club in Dublin City without security camera's outside.

To the poster who said his mate told him the shots are being called by someone viewing the camera, tell your mate he's a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Has anyone ever been told to go get a coffee by bouncers? It seems to be what they've been saying to be me lately.
    I don't even drink coffee, so I usually just have to go to the shop and buy chewing gum or something and when I arrive back they usually let me in with a few wise words like, "take it easy in there tonight". It's quite nice to know they really do care about me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

leggo wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that the person you talk to often isn't the person deciding your fate

Are you serious? We're trying to get into a pub, not through the gates of Heaven!
    Awaits somebody to say "wha' abou' Heaven nightclub in Blanch" :rolleyes:

Has anyone ever been told to go get a coffee by bouncers? It seems to be what they've been saying to be me lately.
    I don't even drink coffee, so I usually just have to go to the shop and buy chewing gum or something and when I arrive back they usually let me in with a few wise words like, "take it easy in there tonight". It's quite nice to know they really do care about me though.

Yeah tried to get into Coppers once while absolutely steaming...could hardly walk due to going crazy on the Bucky at a party. But the bouncer just said "go get a bag of chips and a coffee and come back". Went around to the lane beside the club, stayed there for 10 minutes, went back around, and in I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'd be surprised if there's a pub or club in Dublin City without security camera's outside.

To the poster who said his mate told him the shots are being called by someone viewing the camera, tell your mate he's a spoofer.

Really? If the camera viewer recognised someone as who caused trouble before would he not inform the bouncer of that if the said bouncer failed to recognise him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

knird evol wrote: »
    There's two types of people involved in these situations
    Customers with authority issues.
    Bouncers who let authority go to their head.

I think both are in the minority in their respective groups.

a few years ago i was at my mates 21st, we ended up in the vatican night club. We were having a laugh when the bouncer pulled my mate of the dancefloor for holding a bottle of bud and brought him outside....

My friend explained it was his birthday and he was sorry, he got refused and because he asked to go in and let his G/F know, he got a headbutt and told to F***OF*, in retaliation my friend hit out. I ran up the stairs and tried to stop it. what a mistake that was as the other bouncers started to attack me... We were outnumbered 5 - 2 but help was at hand as dwayne popped out to see were we went and joined in.... another dreadfull mistake as a further 4 so called heavy weights from CFjacks joined in.... so yes we were truly beat up and hospitalised and arrested for D.A.Disorderly....

we tried to get em all done for GBH but as it turns out they all were Repulican members as my mates dad was friends with 4 of them...

a few years ago i was at my mates 21st, we ended up in the vatican night club. We were having a laugh when the bouncer pulled my mate of the dancefloor for holding a bottle of bud and brought him outside....

My friend explained it was his birthday and he was sorry, he got refused and because he asked to go in and let his G/F know, he got a headbutt and told to F***OF*, in retaliation my friend hit out. I ran up the stairs and tried to stop it. what a mistake that was as the other bouncers started to attack me... We were outnumbered 5 - 2 but help was at hand as dwayne popped out to see were we went and joined in.... another dreadfull mistake as a further 4 so called heavy weights from CFjacks joined in.... so yes we were truly beat up and hospitalised and arrested for D.A.Disorderly....

we tried to get em all done for GBH but as it turns out they all were Repulican members as my mates dad was friends with 4 of them...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/9/1/87c2d2f9-566b-493d-b485-5d8cd9ab833c.jpg *

Yes, I do hate myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

so basically you went out and hopped in on a fight, a few of your mates jumped in aswell. You got the head kicked off ya so decided to try get the lads done? If ye got the better hand though it would have been grand.
    why cant people just laugh at their friends getting kicked out of somewhere and be done with it.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Really? If the camera viewer recognised someone as who caused trouble before would he not inform the bouncer of that if the said bouncer failed to recognise him?

No, security camera's are not that good, plus at best the camera is giving the viewer (at best) a half arsed image of the top of someone's head or top/side profile.

A bouncer would have to ask everyone to stop and look directly into the camera, it just doesn't work like that simply because it can't.. It would be way too slow, esp in a club were the lads on the door are making very quick assessments and decisions on punters.

What always amazes me is that other bouncers rarely stick up for the customers In situations like that. It always involves two or three jumping in!

• Advertisement

No, security camera's are not that good, plus at best the camera is giving the viewer (at best) a half arsed image of the top of someone's head or top/side profile.

A bouncer would have to ask everyone to stop and look directly into the camera, it just doesn't work like that simply because it can't.. It would be way too slow, esp in a club were the lads on the door are making very quick assessments and decisions on punters.

Any security camera footage I seen seems to be real crap. Saying that I havent seen loads but what i did see ya may aswell not have any.

PS. would ya leave mr potato head in? I'd say he be an awful laugh

Thanks for explaining it, makes sense!

seanybiker wrote: »
    PS. would ya leave mr potato head in? I'd say he be an awful laugh

Mr.Potato Head and his ilk are a right royal pain in the knackers, but yea their free to go in but spare me the BS when your out for a smoke and talking through your hole (Mr.Potato Head).

You'd be amazed at how many people have told me they use boards.ie and given me their usernames over the years too - I kid you not!

Mr.Potato Head and his ilk are a right royal pain in the knackers, but yea their free to go in but spare me the BS when your out for a smoke and talking through your hole (Mr.Potato Head).

You'd be amazed at how many people have told me they use boards.ie and given me their usernames over the years too - I kid you not!

Anyone ever give you the username who you had a major online disagreement with?

i'd be one of the ones that would chat away to the bouncers when Im out for a smoke. i know most em down here so I be talking to them anyways.

Anyone ever give you the username who you had a major online disagreement with?

No.

he got a headbutt and told to F***OF*, in retaliation my friend hit out.

If the headbutt was any way decent at all he wouldn't have been fit for retaliating, bouncer was a fag in this case :pac:

RoverJames wrote: »
    If the headbutt was any way decent at all he wouldn't have been fit for retaliating, bouncer was a fag in this case :pac:
    nicely spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭nigelm485

hi lads lookin for about 20 duck decoys or teal. will travel for the right money

RoverJames wrote: »

+1

Gotta agree, I never witnessed a headbutt that didn't destroy someone.

• Advertisement

i'd be one of the ones that would chat away to the bouncers when Im out for a smoke. i know most em down here so I be talking to them anyways.

Here's a hint, if the lads covering the door suddenly decide its time for a walk around inside when you come out your the lad we all hate, lol..

Conversation normally goes like this....

Punter (it could be you).."blah blah blah blah"..

Bouncer (it could be me). "yea, yea?".

Punter .. "blah blah blah... better go back to herself, talk later".

Bouncer to other bouncer "what the fvck was all that about?".

Other bouncer to bouncer "fvcked if I know, can't stand that &*@k$r, next time he's out I'm going inside".

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

thats what the ear piece is for, put it on the ear nearest the bladdering punter:cool:

Here's a hint, if the lads covering the door suddenly decide its time for a walk around inside when you come out your the lad we all hate, lol..

Conversation normally goes like this....

Punter (it could be you).."blah blah blah blah"..

Bouncer (it could be me). "yea, yea?".

Punter .. "blah blah blah... better go back to herself, talk later".

Bouncer to other bouncer "what the fvck was all that about?".

Other bouncer to bouncer "fvcked if I know, can't stand that &*@k$r, next time he's out I'm going inside".

:pac:
    hahaha i wouldnt be that bad. I only go over to them if I know them. If I didnt know them I just "how ya" and thats about it. I know what ya mean though.

blah blah blah blah blah....

"Hey RoverJames what did he say?"..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

There's no doubt that these stories about bouncers being true:

Bouncers are normally juiced up perv idiots that abuse the little power they get,

Oranage2 wrote: »
    There's no doubt that these stories about bouncers being true:

Bouncers are normally juiced up perv idiots that abuse the little power they get,

I wouldnt say normally in fairness I would say those types are in the minority but its more likely you'll remember the bad ones. I know I do :p

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

I have had this conversation with countless people, but the same old crap pops up every time.

I don't argue that there are some doormen who are simply just wánkers, but the vast majority of the time you're just dealing with ordinary guys doing their jobs. I'm a university student, but I work every weekend as a doorman at a popular Dublin city centre nightclub, so I've seen both sides of the story.

I'm very fair when it comes to admission; I'm reasonable, respectful, friendly, and I'm never heavy handed, yet I've been accused of being on a power trip, being a complete wanker, and refusing people for no good reason. This is usually because the people I refuse (and I don't like refusing people) are completely oblivious to how much of a díckhead they're behaving like. One example of this people who basically try and saunter in, and behave completely indignant when you stop them. Trying to question them is always a nightmare because you're met with this latent hostility and sense of superiority.

Another thing people don't realise is that people going for a night out and people working for these nights out often perceive completely different things. Nights out are rituals for people, and it becomes socially acceptable in Irish society to behave in a manner in which you would never behave coming home from work at six in the evening. It's not even the alcohol; people on their way to a night out will often behave in an obnoxious manner, as the social norms allow for it. This often means that while you perceive some angry, buzz kill of a bouncer just being completely anal about you smoking in front of a fire exit, the doorman perceives a potential fire safety infraction if the fire officer makes one of his surprise visits.

The "power trip" disposable argument is one that people throw around way too freely, but I can understand why they do. If someone gets refused from a nightclub, the doorman becomes the demon at which they can vent their anger, and getting back to social norms again, it seems to be more acceptable to yell abuse at or even physically assault a doorman than, say, a bus driver. Sure, the law recognises no difference, but people are more likely to shun you if you tell them you attacked a bus driver or a shopkeeper than if you tell them you attacked a bouncer.

It's a little disheartening to see people on this thread claiming that bouncers are thick, uneducated brutes who can't find any other job. This is complete bullshít; I do this job because it pays enough for me to support myself through university, and because the hours suit me. There was even one previous poster claiming he/she hates doormen with "North Side accents". Seriously.

There's a very good chance he's talking about me, because that is very much the case in the nightclub I work in, and I have explained this to people before. It's not like there's some omniscient overseer in some office somewhere, scrutinising my every move, but the managers do spend a fair amount of time watching the cameras, and I have gotten a bóllocking before for letting people in who were refused at another entrance, letting friends in, and just not being careful enough with who I was letting in. Believe me, in the majority of cases refusing people actually just creates more hassle as you have to deal with them mouthing off, but it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I wouldnt say normally in fairness I would say those types are in the minority but its more likely you'll remember the bad ones. I know I do :p

Well most punters think there's only a few bad ones but this type of job attracts certain individuals - These guys are wanna be garda but are to stupid so they have chips on their shoulders!

Also most bouncers want trouble to kick off because they get a kick out of beating up some guy with their karate thats so intoxicated he can hardly walk never mind try defend himself when one of these monkeys and stamping in the head whilst he's on the ground!

I have had this conversation with countless people, but the same old crap pops up every time.

I don't argue that there are some doormen who are simply just wánkers, but the vast majority of the time you're just dealing with ordinary guys doing their jobs. I'm a university student, but I work every weekend as a doorman at a popular Dublin city centre nightclub, so I've seen both sides of the story.

I'm very fair when it comes to admission; I'm reasonable, respectful, friendly, and I'm never heavy handed, yet I've been accused of being on a power trip, being a complete wanker, and refusing people for no good reason. This is usually because the people I refuse (and I don't like refusing people) are completely oblivious to how much of a díckhead they're behaving like. One example of this people who basically try and saunter in, and behave completely indignant when you stop them. Trying to question them is always a nightmare because you're met with this latent hostility and sense of superiority.

Another thing people don't realise is that people going for a night out and people working for these nights out often perceive completely different things. Nights out are rituals for people, and it becomes socially acceptable in Irish society to behave in a manner in which you would never behave coming home from work at six in the evening. It's not even the alcohol; people on their way to a night out will often behave in an obnoxious manner, as the social norms allow for it. This often means that while you perceive some angry, buzz kill of a bouncer just being completely anal about you smoking in front of a fire exit, the doorman perceives a potential fire safety infraction if the fire officer makes one of his surprise visits.

The "power trip" disposable argument is one that people throw around way too freely, but I can understand why they do. If someone gets refused from a nightclub, the doorman becomes the demon at which they can vent their anger, and getting back to social norms again, it seems to be more acceptable to yell abuse at or even physically assault a doorman than, say, a bus driver. Sure, the law recognises no difference, but people are more likely to shun you if you tell them you attacked a bus driver or a shopkeeper than if you tell them you attacked a bouncer.

It's a little disheartening to see people on this thread claiming that bouncers are thick, uneducated brutes who can't find any other job. This is complete bullshít; I do this job because it pays enough for me to support myself through university, and because the hours suit me. There was even one previous poster claiming he/she hates doormen with "North Side accents". Seriously.

There's a very good chance he's talking about me, because that is very much the case in the nightclub I work in, and I have explained this to people before. It's not like there's some omniscient overseer in some office somewhere, scrutinising my every move, but the managers do spend a fair amount of time watching the cameras, and I have gotten a bóllocking before for letting people in who were refused at another entrance, letting friends in, and just not being careful enough with who I was letting in. Believe me, in the majority of cases refusing people actually just creates more hassle as you have to deal with them mouthing off, but it has to be done.

I never had trouble with bouncers except one last week but I find if if say "howya man", act confident and make eye contact with the bouncers their usually grand. Some of my mates however walk in with their heads down afraid of making eye contact ect and the bouncers pick them out, its not that their bad people their just lacking in confidence and unfortunatly that trait has seen them being refused entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Oranage2 wrote: »
    These guys are wanna be garda but are to stupid so they have chips on their shoulders!

Haha lad, stop trolling. I've often been told I'd make a great garda because I've a lot of nice, clean arrests and a good ability to keep the head in serious situations, and I even have some great contacts in the force, but Jesus Christ it's the last job on earth I'd do. It's the most thankless, horrible job where you're ritualistically ****ed over by the state or your own industry. Security is grand because you leave the job as soon as you clock out (unless you get too involved, which some lads do).

Sure it's a fall back for people who don't get into the army or gardai, but don't tar everyone with the same brush.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement