Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - Who do you want and why? [ELECTION 2011] All posts here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

i don't see what difference it can make. He's not going to be returned anyway is he? He's way off the quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dr ro wrote: »
    i don't see what difference it can make. He's not going to be returned anyway is he? He's way off the quota.

if Fitzgerald transfers heavily to him, he's in with a shout, though I think its still a long shot - if his 1st prefs were that low he's not going to pick up enough transfers from the other remaining non-FF candidates.

I've no time for the man, but you can't blame him from wanting a recount of a 3 vote difference that will decide his future life and career...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

dr ro wrote: »
    He probably won't get a seat but then again no one was very near the quota on the first count.
    I think it will be 3 Fine Gael, more than likely 1 Labour and a struggle between Stephen Donnelly and John Brady for the final seat. There could possibly be a recount called for to settle the last seat it there are not many votes between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

if they get as far as the labour candidates being excluded, I would imagine their votes will transfer to Ferris. I don't see where Donnely is going to get transfers from.

I reckon you will get the 3 FG seats, then John Brady and Ferris in the remaining two.

There are two FFer's and Behan to go before Fortunescome up. I can see Donnelly getting a good proportion of those and neither Brady or Ferris getting many of them. I think it's going to be really tight. Donnelly to hold on.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Roche could still possibly get elected on Fitzgerald and Behans transfers

I have no problem at all with a recount - It's his democratic right

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Quota is 11,674 - between Roche (4,135), 'Fix'gerald (4,138) & Behan (4,639), there's 12,900 odd votes. Even if and it's a big IF, you're talking about DF getting a massive amount transfered directly to him (and remember he needs a re-count to make him end up with more than Fitzgerald to start the chain reaction). I can't see many votes from any of the other candidates failing his way.

Behan is an ex-FFer but I think a good portion of people who voted for Behan did so because 'he did the right thing' with the old aged medical card saga - those same people possibly boycotting any preference in the vote for an FFer.

And yes, he's entitled to the re-count just as much as his party colleague - I'm watching this space!!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The last 2 seats might even be decided without reaching the quota, something to bear in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

I can only see 3 reaching the quota and then the other 2 getting in when rest are elimated -

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    The last 2 seats might even be decided without reaching the quota, something to bear in mind.

true, true...will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

***Edit

some chat going on in the Politics forum on a 'Wicklow' thread...latest on page 22

I think that's almost certain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

we should stage a protest against roche at shorline tonight for holding up the election process

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

From RTÉ's website:
    1535 Wicklow: The candidates' agents have been called to examine the quarantined disputed votes. Estimates of up to 2,500 papers to be examined.
    and
    1548 Apparently there are a lot of legal types at the Wicklow count. 'Ominous', says Will Goodbody.

Might have something to do with people writing their preference in the blank logo box for independents. If it's that trivial surely common sense can prevail.

Either way, while Dick Roche hasn't helped, something else seems to have happened in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

From RTÉ's website:

and

Might have something to do with people writing their preference in the blank logo box for independents. If it's that trivial surely common sense can prevail.

Either way, while Dick Roche hasn't helped, something else seems to have happened in the meantime.

Note that a thorough statewide review of all Florida ballots in the 2000 Presidential election would have had Gore as the President instead of Bush:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_election_recount

It is important to get right, regardless of how long it takes.

darter wrote: »
    It is important to get right, regardless of how long it takes.

True, I just hope that they make decisions using common sense and don't punish independents because they printed multiple boxes for people to write numbers into. A simple "IND" in that box or a line through it would have saved a lot of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Count back on, Roche eliminated. Not there to hear the news in person.

Good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

Looks like they are hanging onto some hope -

RTEwicklow: Dick Roche's agent says they'll continue to monitor the count and isn't ruling out further challenges at a later stage. #wk #wicklow

Roche and his team have some neck.

im so happy, i really didn't wanna have to protest out in the cold, or even leave my couch

Yeah, Matt. I was relying on you for a lift!

Yeah, Matt. I was relying on you for a lift!
    erm..... epic fail????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

same circus diffrent clowns

• Advertisement

erm..... epic fail????:confused:
    Nah. Being eliminated twice is full of fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

And we have an elected TD! Andrew Doyle is officially in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

and its only taken 3 days:D tho at least we wont be the last to elect all out TDs looks like that honour will go to galway

All over. Doyle, Timmons, Harris, Ferris and Donnelly. Brady apparently asked for a recount but later withdrew request, according to RTÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

we should stage a protest against roche at shorline tonight for holding up the election process
    Protesting against democracy - you are having a laugh! He was absolutely 100% right to do it

Anyway - all done and dusted

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Anyone know why Ferris got so many transfers from Fitzgerald ?

Huntthe wrote: »
    Anyone know why Ferris got so many transfers from Fitzgerald ?

She only got 705 votes from Pat Fitzgerald. She got 2,530 from Tom Fortune.

Just looking at Donnelly's vote count against Brady's from Count 13 onwards...

Count 13: SD (7,508) JB (7,887)
    Count 14: SD (7,670) JB (8,027)
    Count 15: SD (8,576) JB (8,626)
    Count 16: SD (8,980) JB (9,037)
    Count 17: SD (9,909) JB (9.797)

Donnelly really did pip Brady at the post!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

So finally its all done and dusted........

Can anyone tell me what we actually voted for in the end?

Yes we got revenge on FF, but what did we actually vote for? (considering FG and Labour were poles apart on many an issue in their campaign.

• Advertisement

GingerDave wrote: »
    Yes we got revenge on FF, but what did we actually vote for? (considering FG and Labour were poles apart on many an issue in their campaign.

Well, I specifically left FG out of my voting because I didn't want them in power on their own as I think they're too like FF. Hopefully with Labour they'll actually have to compromise on issues, as will Labour. I don't think the independents will get a look in, but we'll see.

I think that now we've a new government they can spend less time apologising/blaming others for messing up and can hopefully move forward and try to steer the country in the right direction, while under the scrutiny of the entire country who seem to have woken up in this election.

And hopefully the new opposition will help ensure that this all happens, with less time being spent on having to defend ludicrous decisions like nationalising Anglo.

But maybe I'm just an optimist! :)

Advertisement