Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - Who do you want and why? [ELECTION 2011] All posts here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Huntthe wrote: »
    What am I missing here ? What did the canvasser do wrong. You dis' d Harris and he laughed it off and left. Where's the bad behaviour ?

Laughing at someone and walking away is what he did wrong surely

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I'm a cynical so and so and I'm not a big fan of Harris but I think interpreting that exchange like that is Meldrewesque.
    He laughed to get himself out of a tricky situation and exited stage left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I saw auld Dick (Democracy) 'Roache' on the main street yesterday in Greystones, smiling and laughing with three other auld fellas. You'd think his job was safe - we'll see come tomorrow...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 annf

Happy days - it looks like Dick Roche is gone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

I will sleep better in my bed tonight knowing that the country is in better hands...

and that new government will be underpinned by people of
    integrity, vision and intelligence;

Eamon Gilmore
    Ruairi Quinn
    Pat Rabbitte ...

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

I will sleep better in my bed tonight knowing that the country is in better hands...

Eamon Gilmore
    Ruairi Quinn
    Pat Rabbitte ...

The public service trade union bosses must be rubbing their hands with glee, oh and the lads on the dole that have made the lifestyle choice not to work.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Eamon Gilmore
    Ruairi Quinn
    Pat Rabbitte ...
    Wineman wrote: »
    The public service trade union bosses must be rubbing their hands with glee, oh and the lads on the dole that have made the lifestyle choice not to work.

Just a reminder that this thread is for the Greystones area.

For general discussion please go to the political forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

Sorry about that. Got carried away under the circumstances. It's like watching all your horses romping home.
    Simon Harris has his dad out canvassing for him, poor man having to hear how much his son is disliked.

With the first count in his Dad has now 8,741 reasons to smile :)

and must be so proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 annao

Sorry about that. Got carried away under the circumstances. It's like watching all your horses romping home.

With the first count in his Dad has now 8,741 reasons to smile :)

and must be so proud.

A fantastic vote for him-really hope he makes it as he has so much to offer re education, youth mental health and disability issues. He'll be Taoiseach yet-he has 40 years to go as he is only 24!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

That's the last we will see of Harris now, he got his dream job and the people fell for it let's hope his extension charity work gets the economy in shape soon.
    Fine Gael dear god! My greystones my greystones forgive them lord they drank too much of the Harris coolade.

hopefully labour will keep FG in check.. On dear we are so boned...

Quota is 11,764. Harris has 8,744 on count No.2 and is third with his two party candidates ahead of him. So he's till 3,000 off the mark. Now I'm not one for the mechanics of party politics or exactly about the pref. system, but if he's looking for transfers, his two party colleagues aren't going to be yielding anything to him as they are ahead of him and still yet to meet the quota. He's gonna rely on the exclusions from the bottom.

Labour's Anne Ferris is in sixth, I expect she'll get a good few vote tranfers from her party collegues...might hamper Donnelly a little.

Very interesing to watch...

yep - long day tomorrow

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Waiting
    5480405012_3239e33df8.jpg
    DSC_3790
    5479811167_d90f0d5e4f.jpg
    DSC_3794
    5479817331_63edc014b6.jpg
    DSC_3798
    These 3 for last 2 seats, who is going to be disappointed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

In answer to the question, I want Karyn Finegan from Applewood Heights Unfortunately I am about 10 years too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

Ferris will make it then its down to Brady and Donnelly,all depends where the FF transfers go!!

Mr Posh wrote: »
    Ferris will make it then its down to Brady and Donnelly,all depends where the FF transfers go!!
    there's an outside possibility that FF transfers could bring Behan back into running

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

There are about 2.5 thousand independent votes to get through first. A good proportion going to Donnelly I would imagine. Donnellys lead over Ferris is already healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,051 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Huntthe wrote: »
    There are about 2.5 thousand independent votes to get through first. A good proportion going to Donnelly I would imagine. Donnellys lead over Ferris is already healthy.

if they get as far as the labour candidates being excluded, I would imagine their votes will transfer to Ferris. I don't see where Donnely is going to get transfers from.

I reckon you will get the 3 FG seats, then John Brady and Ferris in the remaining two.

Apparently Dick Roche calling for recount - after count 13 he is eliminated only after being 3 votes short of his party colleague Pat Fitzgerald - that's right, call a recount and shaft your party colleague to nick his transfers!!! Clutching at straws me thinks!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,051 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

astrofluff wrote: »
    Apparently Dick Roche calling for recount - after count 13 he is eliminated only after being 3 votes short of his party colleague Pat Fitzgerald - that's right, call a recount and shaft your party colleague to nick his transfers!!! Clutching at straws me thinks!

Just shows the grace and self sacrifice that have been the hallmarks of of DR's political career. Showing the heart and fight to win an important and historic 14th count elimination in 9th place.

Dick Roche, you truly are an example to be held up to all politicians. take a bow.

The recount has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Are you at the centre, Damo? THe Irish TImes and RTE both said the recount would begin tomorrow.

Starting it now makes more sense, though, that is, it would if a recount made any sense at all.

Are you at the centre, Damo? THe Irish TImes and RTE both said the recount would begin tomorrow.

Starting it now makes more sense, though, that is, it would if a recount made any sense at all.

No.

I got info from RTÉ website.

http://www.rte.ie/news/election2011/results/index.html

Total recount starting tomorrow Monday 28th. Feb. 2011 at 9 am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

The arrogance of the man.. Disgusting!

I did not give Dick Roche a vote but I do not see anything wrong with him calling for a recount, especially when there are only 3 votes between him and his party colleague. He is within his rights as are any of the candidates to call for a recheck or recount. I am delighted that this election has re awakened such interest in politics with a very high turnout. It is great for the future. We the people can make things happen if we vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

astrofluff wrote: »

I actually think it makes good tactical sense on the part of FF. Roche is likely to pick up more transfers from Behan (ex-FFer) than is Fitzgerald, and could propel him into top 5 final position and a seat.

Besides, others are calling for recounts with differences of more than 50. This is only 3 votes - surely Wicklow does not want to have the same ignominious history of failed democratic elections as the US Presidential one that got George W in.

Advertisement