Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - Who do you want and why? [ELECTION 2011] All posts here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Don't have to watch it to know the guy isn't a debater or a public speaker. It's a leap of faith. We're not exactly spoilt for choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Enda Kenny is being pitched by FG as a chairman type who will organise a strong team, rather than a charismatic leader like, say, Bertie or CJH. Not sure whether I buy that TBH - he seems to me to be getting the top job largely because he's hung around the Dáil longer than anyone else - "lets give that Mayo fellow a shot, he's got to be better than the last guy..."

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Mr Posh wrote: »
    Did anyone see the interview with Enda Kenny on Vincent Brown?

If you are considering voting for FG please watch this before making your decision.

Mr Posh, I agree totally. Here it is: http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=tonightwithvincentbrowne&tv3_preview=&video=32776

Quite shocking is all I can say! Anybody voting for any candidate without watching this is missing something!

I prefer this one:

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=tonightwithvincentbrowne&tv3_preview=&video=32773

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

He was on better form then tonight with Miriam O'Callaghan.

Thought Eamon Gilmore did well too.

But that is just a personal opinion ...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

I was really impressed by Stephen Donnelly's appearance on the Frontline the other night, though it was unfortunate that he was on the same panel as Ming the Merciless. His Vincent Browne appearance a few weeks back was really good too (found it on YouTube).

Can't imagine Simon "Mindless FG Drone" Harris getting on so well. I'm still utterly unconvinced by the guy. What real reason has he given us to vote for him? I personally couldn't care less how many boards he sits on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 annf

This could have been an interesting thread, pity it has been hijacked by Stephen Donnelly supporters who see Simon Harris as their main oppostion and keep bashing him. It has completely turned me off Stephen Donnelly. At least Simon has done something locally over the last few years. Stephen seems to think that because of his education he has all the answers but does he really understand how things work? Even if he wins a seat on Friday will he not be bored and turned off by his lack of influence in the Dail?

annf wrote: »
    This could have been an interesting thread, pity it has been hijacked by Stephen Donnelly supporters who see Simon Harris as their main oppostion and keep bashing him. It has completely turned me off Stephen Donnelly. At least Simon has done something locally over the last few years. Stephen seems to think that because of his education he has all the answers but does he really understand how things work? Even if he wins a seat on Friday will he not be bored and turned off by his lack of influence in the Dail?

Wow, sorry for expressing my opinion. I really don't see your point though. If you're talking about Dáil experience, how will Simon be better? Plus, the theme of this election has been about change, out with the old and all that. All I was trying to say was that Simon has done nothing to impress me while Stephen has. I didn't think that was a crime.

**EDIT**

For the record, I have nothing to do with the Stephen Donnelly campaign. I just happen to like him, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

This could have been an interesting thread,
    pity it has been hijacked by

supporters of other candidates (you could insert any number of names here!)
    who see Simon Harris as their main opposition
    and keep bashing him.

I think the number of committees that Simon Harris is on reflects his work ethic and show that he has many more interests than his original interest (in disability).

Amazing to think that he became politically active in 2002 at just fifteen years of age.

Labour are still getting my top preference,

just think that a disproportion amount of posters are taking pot shots at young Mr. Harris, for very little reason.

Edited to add;

He also works as a Political Advisor to Senator Frances Fitzgerald, Fine Gael Front Bench Member & Health Spokesperson, so he will have seen a certain amount of how the Dail works.

Labour are still getting my top preference
    I have to say, I do like Anne Ferris. I'd say I'll have her as my #2. So far anyway.
    just think that a disproportion amount of posters are taking pot shots at young Mr. Harris, for very little reason.

I also think it's unfortunate that the big "Greystones" one at the roundabout at Shoreline has some very unfortunate shading and makes it look like he was standing behind a window with a perfectly square piece of dirt on it, à la Fr. Ted... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

So far we've only had Dick Roche canvassers actually call to the door. Labour have dropped leaflets in for Anne Ferris (last night) and Tom Fortune (3 weeks ago). A real pity, I'd like to ask the candidates a few things or their canvassers.

Crazy amount of Sinn Fein posters around, there seems to be more and more each time I look, same for Simon Harris.

I think Stephen Donnelly is going to get my number one vote, I really like the way he's done things, especially his YouTube videos, being a young(ish :) ) voter I find he's explained a lot of things for me. Donnelly followed by Joe Behan. I really don't know after that, if I'll cast any more votes.

The current results of the Boards poll is very interesting. I think the turn out is going to be big this year, I heard that in 2007 the turn out was in the 70's for Wicklow, very impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The current results of the Boards poll is very interesting.

the Boards poll is totally skewed demographically: it has FF getting less than 5 seats, Stephen Donnelly topping the poll in Wicklow, Dylan "Macauley Culkin" Haskins getting in in Dublin SE - if you put an accumulator on those 3 events occurring at Paddy Power you'd probably get 100/1 or more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

loyatemu wrote: »
    Dylan "Macauley Culkin" Haskins

:D

I was going to vote Harris one but the more I learn the less I like.
    Career politician who does U-Turns on local issues such as the land connected to the Rugby club in the middle of the 'Leisure Belt' .Originally he was against the rezoning to commercial now he's for it. He's already being manipulated. More of the same in a younger body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I was going to vote Harris one but the more I learn the less I like.
    Career politician who does U-Turns on local issues such as the land connected to the Rugby club in the middle of the 'Leisure Belt' .Originally he was against the rezoning to commercial now he's for it. He's already being manipulated. More of the same in a younger body.
    It's hard to put any trust in Harris for the reasons you state. If only he'd go out into the real world for some time, get some experience and then come back to politics, but instead he's gone from college to Council and now looking to go to the Daíl, without having ever had the worries of employment contracts being renewed, finding childcare, paying a mortgage, negative equity. How can he empathise with the people he's hoping will elect him?

At least with Donnelly, while I don't agree with all of his policies, seems to be his own man, he's been out in the real world and is coming in to try make a difference. While he may not get my No. 1, he'll be there or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Genuine (if stupid) question: if sitting councillors are elected to the Dáil, do they retain their position on the local councils too? If not, what happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

No, they have to resign the council seat nowadays. A few years ago when they abolished the dual mandate as it was known, Dick Roche used to have both jobs at the same time. Afterwards, he kept the TD job, and his wife became the county councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

They now must give up their council seat (until relatively recently they could hold both). AFAIK they get to nominate their own replacement, but open to correction there.

Recedite got there ahead of me.

loobylou wrote: »
    AFAIK they get to nominate their own replacement, but open to correction there.

Wow, that doesn't seem open to corruption/nepotism at all! ;)

Wow, that doesn't seem open to corruption/nepotism at all! ;)
    Democracy at work, huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

loobylou wrote: »
    They now must give up their council seat (until relatively recently they could hold both). AFAIK they get to nominate their own replacement, but open to correction there.

Recedite got there ahead of me.

The party nominates a replacement or an independent nominates their own

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    The party nominates a replacement or an independent nominates their own
    And then that person has to be co opted onto the council by the existing councillors......you scratch my back and I will scratch yours....type of system.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

It's hard to put any trust in Harris for the reasons you state. If only he'd go out into the real world for some time, get some experience and then come back to politics, but instead he's gone from college to Council and now looking to go to the Daíl, without having ever had the worries of employment contracts being renewed, finding childcare, paying a mortgage, negative equity. How can he empathise with the people he's hoping will elect him?

At least with Donnelly, while I don't agree with all of his policies, seems to be his own man, he's been out in the real world and is coming in to try make a difference. While he may not get my No. 1, he'll be there or thereabouts.

Good post!!

He also has a bluffer as a party leader who is soon to be the leader of this country.......I would much prefer Leo or Lucinda but I suppose they will have to do another 20 years in the Dail before they are considered as contenders.

I do hope I'm wrong and Kenny pulls us out of this mess but I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Just had a Harris canvasser at the door. He tried to hand more leaflets and said he was doing a final push for Harris. He got very shifty when I told him Harris comes across as a wannabe TD and nothing more. He told me he was going to help people and I responded he could help people without a Tds pay. He actually laughed and walked off. Bye bye harris.

Just had a Harris canvasser at the door. He tried to hand more leaflets and said he was doing a final push for Harris. He got very shifty when I told him Harris comes across as a wannabe TD and nothing more. He told me he was going to help people and I responded he could help people without a Tds pay. He actually laughed and walked off. Bye bye harris.
    If that's true, it's a bloody disgrace and only makes me more cynical. Just like councillors wading into a local issue in an estate as a thinly veiled attempt to get votes two days before an election.

If that's true, it's a bloody disgrace and only makes me more cynical. Just like councillors wading into a local issue in an estate as a thinly veiled attempt to get votes two days before an election.

Mike, your cynicism astounds me. I'm sure the candidate in question has the needs of the community in mind ahead of any thoughts of election or personal profit... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jaysus - bad move on that canvassers part

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Mike, your cynicism astounds me. I'm sure the candidate in question has the needs of the community in mind ahead of any thoughts of election or personal profit... ;)
    Thank you for making me laugh! First time today... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

All true fellas. Harris canvassers in Rathdown Park.

• Advertisement

What am I missing here ? What did the canvasser do wrong. You dis' d Harris and he laughed it off and left. Where's the bad behaviour ?

Advertisement