Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones - Who do you want and why? [ELECTION 2011] All posts here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

Snake oil salesman great description of all of them.

Donnelly quote 'an unsustainable economy is unsustainable..' if you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle with BS.

As I said before pure consultant speak. He will have zero ability to influence if elected.

Saw the Sinn Fein announcement last night and they continue to impress, but Adams needs to go. Where is Brady, no sign of him canvassing here.

Simon Harris has his dad out canvassing for him, poor man having to hear how much his son is disliked.

Charlie Keddy, now there is a man of our time ;)

How do Sinn Fein continue to impress!!?

Gerry Adam’s level of economics is really worrying!! No one likes the situation we are all in but making crazy promises about using all the pension fund to attempt to kick start the economy(thats real peoples pensions!!) and letting the banks go to the wall meaning there will be no cash in cash machine in 6 months which will send us into oblivion.

Sinn Fein’s whole manifesto is designed to impress as they know they will never be in government to be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I see the Simon Harris brigade decided to park their car outside Kilcoole national school this morning, in one of the very few parking spots available, meaning some parents have to park further away. Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Mr Posh wrote: »
    How do Sinn Fein continue to impress!!?

Gerry Adam’s level of economics is really worrying!! No one likes the situation we are all in but making crazy promises about using all the pension fund to attempt to kick start the economy(thats real peoples pensions!!) and letting the banks go to the wall meaning there will be no cash in cash machine in 6 months which will send us into oblivion.

Sinn Fein’s whole manifesto is designed to impress as they know they will never be in government to be held accountable.

Regardless of my opnion re: Sinn Fein I do not accept the dooms day scenario of having cashless Atms should we let the failed banks go to the wall. A gap in the market will always be filled i.e other Banks would come in. However I would be concerned for peoples savings in Banks should we let them fail. The idea of letting it ride and see where we end up if we let the banks fail is tempting.

I don't believe Sinn Feins ideas are without merit. When your in a hole all options should be examined without passion.

In my own deliberations as to who to vote for here's where I'm at.

I know the FF'ers are incompident, dishonest and gutless.

I know Labour are the same and would sell their Grannies to get in to power.

I suspect the FG'ers might be the same but I don't know this.

We need a Government that can act decisively and can Govern without the handicap of a Coalition or ball and chain support of Independents.

Kenny comes across as a dose but he didn't come to where he is today by being a dose. Also I know lots of people who come across as stupid (some on here) but are far from it.

At this point I'm inclined to vote all the way down the page starting with the FG'ers and finishing with the Independents, no FF'ers or Labour pretend pinko's. I'd like to see St Patrick resurect himself and drive the FF'ers into the Sea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Huntthe wrote: »
    Regardless of my opnion re: Sinn Fein I do not accept the dooms day scenario of having cashless Atms should we let the failed banks go to the wall. A gap in the market will always be filled i.e other Banks would come in. However I would be concerned for peoples savings in Banks should we let them fail. The idea of letting it ride and see where we end up if we let the banks fail is tempting.

How long does it take another bank to set up?
    Cause if you let the banks collapse it will happen a lot faster than any proper bank will take to get involved.

The "market self regulates" is the exact nonsense idea that got us here in the first place. The doomsday scenario is there because it has happened, we know what happens when a number of banks fail, more banks fail and you get massive economic collapse.
    Huntthe wrote: »
    I don't believe Sinn Feins ideas are without merit. When your in a hole all options should be examined without passion.

You believe wrong.
    The country cannot be run on no money. SF's plan is to turn down money, spend the last of the money and go to the Bond markets when its runs out.
    Its absolute fairy logic. We are an appalling proposition for bond markets and if we turn down the EU IMF and spend every penny we have, we will be looking even worse.

Who the hell would buy bonds in that mess?

I'd love it if we could go back to before the boom and everybody got a tonne of cheap credit and became some sort of cartoon pisstake of a capitalist...

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

How long does it take another bank to set up?

About the same time it takes a server to reboot.

The "market self regulates" is the exact nonsense idea that got us here in the first place.

Who said anything about self regulatation.

SF's plan is to turn down money, spend the last of the money and go to the Bond markets when its runs out.

As I understand it SF's plan is to guaratee the Countrys debt not the Banks Debt. This they reckon will encourage the bond markets to loan to Ireland Inc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I see the Simon Harris brigade decided to park their car outside Kilcoole national school this morning, in one of the very few parking spots available, meaning some parents have to park further away. Clowns.

Are they allowed to canvass outside schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭napathy

As far as I know it is okay as long a it is not a polling station, don't know whethe Kilcoole NS is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are they allowed to canvass outside schools?
    yes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

luapenak wrote: »
    I can't believe I still haven't been canvassed yet. I'm still quite undecided so someone really should try canvass me, then again most of politicians are sure to trip up on the list of questions I have for them.

There is not nearly as much canvasssing going on as in previous elections

1. Its a winter election, which really restricts canvassing, particularily in rural areas.

2. So many people do not want to be canvassed. I can't believe the amount of 'no junk mail' or 'no canvasser' signs. People are angry with politicians of all colours.

Canvassing is happening online and in the media. If you have a list of questions, don't wait to be knocked, email the candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

RTE Radio One advertising today that they'll be covering the Wicklow Constituency and candidates on their drivetime show this evening, not sure what time, but the show starts at 16:30.

• Advertisement

RTE Radio One advertising today that they'll be covering the Wicklow Constituency and candidates on their drivetime show this evening, not sure what time, but the show starts at 16:30.
    I heard that it will be on from about 5:30pm

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

Canvassing is happening online and in the media. If you have a list of questions, don't wait to be knocked, email the candidates.

I suppose you're right.
    I just thought I'd learn more about their characters from how they deal with some tough questions face to face

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

I had a listen and they didn't go into any great detail, just more of an overview of the constituency itself rather than the candidates, less than 5 minutes of air-time I'd say.

I had a listen and they didn't go into any great detail, just more of an overview of the constituency itself rather than the candidates, less than 5 minutes of air-time I'd say.
    There were spots throughout the show up to 6pm. They had a selection of candidates including Dick Roche for FF and Brady SF for a debate in a cafe for about 15 minutes, did a piece about the independents. Interesting piece too! There's a couple of crackpots in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

I've had 2 canvassers call to my door, (although it could be 3 if I'm to believe Mr. Harris' "sorry I missed you leaflet")

Last weekend I got a canvasser from Tom Fortune's campaign. SO I got my list of questions and picked one at random. Does your candidate support the seperation of church and state? I'm not sure was the reply. Well do you not think it's important? said I. Why yes, yes it is. he said. Why don't I get Tom to call to you? PLease do, said I. He'll be around to you before the night is out.

I'm still waiting.

AT 8:35 last night 2 women called. Good evening, would you consider voting for Joe Behan Independant? Who? says I. JOe Behan Independant TD for Wicklow. Oh, says I, you mean Joe Behan Fianna Fail? No says they, he's independant. Ah go away!, he's the same gene pool as all FFErs says I. It's gone half 8 and I'm putting the kids to bed. Joe Behan independant me arse, says I as I shut the door. (shut not slam!)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

Joe Behan independant me arse

I listened to the rest of the RTÉ show there and the interviewer was asking Joe who he'd be willing to work with if he was elected. He gave a very non-committal answer and was then hammered by the interviewer saying that the people of Wicklow deserved to know what he plans to do. She has a point. I think his leaving FF is barely a step further than Dick Roche's posters where microscopic vision is needed to see that he's still running for FF.

I've had 2 canvassers call to my door, (although it could be 3 if I'm to believe Mr. Harris' "sorry I missed you leaflet")

Last weekend I got a canvasser from Tom Fortune's campaign. SO I got my list of questions and picked one at random. Does your candidate support the seperation of church and state? I'm not sure was the reply. Well do you not think it's important? said I. Why yes, yes it is. he said. Why don't I get Tom to call to you? PLease do, said I. He'll be around to you before the night is out.
    the way he has been fudging the issue of Educate Together and VEC for a Greystones school would suggest he's not pushed about the issue

Terry Pratchet

I had a Dick Roach canvasser to the door last night; It was raining he was wet so I politely thanked him for having the courage to come to my door but explained I will be voting for Stephen Donnelly next week and there was no chance of me giving Dick or FF any vote.

Had it been Dick himself I would have gone to town!! No point shooting the messenger

Mr Posh wrote: »
    I had a Dick Roach canvasser to the door last night; It was raining he was wet so I politely thanked him for having the courage to come to my door but explained I will be voting for Stephen Donnelly next week and there was no chance of me giving Dick or FF any vote.

Had it been Dick himself I would have gone to town!! No point shooting the messenger
    I had wondered if I'd go to town on Roche etc if they came to the door, but the more I think about it the more I reckon it's a waste of breath.

Telling them I won't be voting for them is enough. If they ask why, then I might just go off on one!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Sticky Fingers

I see that either Dick Roche or someone else has added a banner to his election posters saying that defacing posters is undemocratic. What ?? If it so undemocratic, how come no other party has been targeted in this way ?? I think that the people have a problem with the candidate and not democracy !
    You can see these banners at the roundabout by Killruddery and on the side of the road heading North just before the Glen Of The Downs. There are far more defaced FF banners on the way to Arklow and around Wicklow Town too. Someone has been busy !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I see that either Dick Roche or someone else has added a banner to his election posters saying that defacing posters is undemocratic. What ?? If it so undemocratic, how come no other party has been targeted in this way ?? I think that the people have a problem with the candidate and not democracy !
    You can see these banners at the roundabout by Killruddery and on the side of the road heading North just before the Glen Of The Downs. There are far more defaced FF banners on the way to Arklow and around Wicklow Town too. Someone has been busy !

But is it right to deface any candidate's posters ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in other countries they'd be burning effigies of the likes of Roche - he's getting off lightly if only his posters are being defaced.

I have very little confidence in FG or Labour, but I will dance a little jig of joy if Dick Roche loses his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

loyatemu wrote: »
    I have very little confidence in FG or Labour, but I will dance a little jig of joy if Dick Roche loses his seat.

I will officially give up on democracy if he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    But is it right to deface any candidate's posters ?

No. But it can be quite entertaining to make masks out of them. I think we have all seen the simon harris video.

I certainly won't under circumstances be voting for Simon Harris - He promised us all reform of expenses on WCC and this never happened
    FG Candidate signs a pledge not to accept "mileage" money if elected to Wicklow County Council and to overhaul the expenses system at local authority level Harris calls for the "gravy train" to be decommissioned

Fine Gael Local Election Candidate, Simon Harris has signed a pledge limiting the expenses he would receive if elected to Wicklow County Council in the upcoming Local Elections.

Speaking about his decision and his public pledge, Mr Harris stated, "If I am elected to Wicklow County Council I will not accept any Council money for mileage incurred in travelling to meetings of the Council. Most people do not get paid to drive to work and to me it would be illogical to receive and accept such a payment. In the current economic climate, how could I, as a new politician, honestly claim to relate to the difficulties and challenges being experienced by families and by businesses if I was to apply for the honour of representing the people and then board the generous 'gravy-train' of expenses at local government." "When I announced my intention to enter politics and to contest these elections, I highlighted that it was a priority of mine to make politics more relevant, accessible and interesting to people and communities. It is easy to talk the talk but the time has come for me to put my money where my mouth is and make some very clear and very public pledges to my electorate in Greystones, Kilcoole, Delgany, Newtown and Newcastle," said Mr Harris. "Many Councillors do excellent work and their efforts are diligent and effective for our locality. I do not criticise any sitting Councillors for the expenses they receive and I do acknowledge the decision taken by Wicklow County Council to scale back expenses in the current budgetary situation it finds itself in. But nonetheless, I believe these local elections offer us a real chance to change the way we do business at local government level - it is an opportunity to say enough is enough, decommission the run-away gravy-train and let's make politics more transparent and our politicians more accountable," continued Mr Harris. "It is with that in mind that I have made a conscious decision to sign a pledge to my electorate which states that if elected to Wicklow County Council in the forthcoming Local Elections:

I will not accept any payment from Wicklow County Council for mileage incurred whilst travelling to any meetings of the Council. Why should people be paid to drive to work? If elected, it will be an honour to serve the community and paying Councillors to drive to Council Meetings is insulting particularly at a time when people are losing their jobs, unemployment is rising and the average person would be quite happy to drive to work and pay for their own fuel in order to obtain or retain a job.

I will only go abroad on foreign trips if I deem them to be absolutely in the interest of both my constituents and our county. Should I go on any such trips, I will fully inform my constituents via letter of the benefits of the trip, the costs incurred, what was learned and how it can be put to use for our county.

In January of each year, I will publish a full breakdown of any and all remuneration I have received from Wicklow County Council – this will be itemised and again made available to all my constituents.

I will move a motion at the earliest possible opportunity in Wicklow County Council seeking reform of expenses paid to public representatives, to ensure that all such expenses are vouched and essential.

It is vital the people can have faith and confidence in the political process and in government at all levels – local and national. By undertaking these four small pledges, I hope to herald a new type of politics – It is an honour to serve one's community – this honour must never be forgotten," stated Mr Harris.

"To prove this is not a gimmick I am sending a signed copy of this pledge to the Wicklow Times - they will then have a copy of this and will be able to monitor the matter if I am elected. In the current climate, in a show of solidarity with hard-working people find it difficult to make businesses sustainable or maintain jobs and in the interest of increasing transparency, openness and accountability in politics I feel this is both the responsible and appropriate step to take," concluded Mr Harris.

FG Candidate remains the only County Wicklow Local Election Candidate to have signed a pledge to reduce and reform Council expenses and seek a more transparent system Fine Gael County Council Candidate in the Greystones Electoral Area has expressed his bemusement with attempts by politicians to curtail pre-election costs incurred personally by each candidate whilst ignoring the sheer waste of public money in unvouched gravy-train expenses after the election. Mr Harris remains the only candidate for Wicklow County Council to have signed a pledge in relation to expenses. He has stated that if elected he will:

Not except "mileage money" for driving to and from Council meetings
    Move a motion that the Council adopts a system of vouched expenses
    Publish an annual breakdown of exactly every cent he receives from the Council and for what purpose.

"The gravy-train of expenses at Council level and indeed national level needs to be halted. It could never be justified but now in these economic times if must end. I am happy to have signed a commitment to seek a more transparent system of expenses where people are not left out of pocket for expenses occurred but equally that all expenses are vouched, transparent and logical," stated Mr Harris.

"I very much welcome the limit on Local Election spending - I agree with it fully and I also support efforts to limit posters to certain areas. However, I must say I remain perplexed that politicians continue to focus on these issues - on how much money a candidate spends on an election when this has already been limited by legislation - rather than trying to ensure that public money is not wasted on unjustifiable 'expenses'," continued Mr Harris. "People I meet across my electoral area and in my community are fed-up with the waste of public money - they see politicians at a national level refusing to give up long-term increment payments even in these tough financial times and at a local level they see a cash-strapped Council unable to address simple, local issues yet the system of expenses remains unreformed," said Mr Harris. "I want the public to have faith and confidence in our politicians - this is necessary if we are to get out of this economic crisis, deliver for people and protect vital services - that is why I am determined to reform expenses at all levels of politics and for my part I will start with the Council if elected on the 5th June," concluded Mr Harris.

Terry Pratchet

I agree with it fully and I also support efforts to limit posters to certain areas. However, I must say I remain perplexed that politicians continue to focus on these issues

Of course Harris doesn't understand why people focus on these issues.

He ignored the fact that Charlesland is private and fired up posters anyway and despite residents calling for them to be removed, it was only when the official contact was made by the Committees that they were removed. Is that supporting efforts to limit posters to certain areas?

Had my first canvasser over the weekend too... For Harris! Hadn't the heart to engage with him so just asked him to leave. At this stage I'm just worn out with the bull****! Roll on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Simon Harris said ;
    "I will not except "mileage money" for driving to and from Council meetings

Move a motion that the Council adopts a system of vouched expenses

Publish an annual breakdown of exactly every cent I receive from the Council and for what purpose."

So, does anyone know which of these he actually did?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Son of Jack

You could ask him ...

http://www.simonharris.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I certainly won't under circumstances be voting for Simon Harris

When he gets in (second best odds among all candidates as of today), at least the younger generation of Greystones will have someone in the Dail who they can relate to, i.e., still lives with his parents, never had a proper job.

• Advertisement

Did anyone see the interview with Enda Kenny on Vincent Brown?

If you are considering voting for FG please watch this before making your decision.

Advertisement