Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongar pub?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Place was packed tonight. Not enough seating areas to be honest. Then again the place isn't big enough for more seats.

Bar staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kenneds4

think it was the manager that said prices will go down on tuesday? not sure why/or if they are up. He was chatting to a girl who was saying how good their prices were.

does anyone know if it will do food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I see the pub is open now :eek: never saw any trouble in Ongar in the 7 years im living in the area and shopping in Dunnes.

But yesterday there was a fight up there, I hope to god that this is just a coincident and not what the village is going to become.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Formal shorts

Justask wrote: »
    I see the pub is open now :eek: never saw any trouble in Ongar in the 7 years im living in the area and shopping in Dunnes.

But yesterday there was a fight up there, I hope to god that this is just a coincident and not what the village is going to become.:(

Have seen gangs of young fellas up there on a regular basis and the cops arresting people twice in the last two years. And I'm not up there that often.

Certainly not going to blame this establishment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rec27

now that the pub is open in ongar, it was one of the missing links that ongar village needed.

what other shops or services do people think ongar could do with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

I saw the fight on Saturday, it had nothing to do with the pub. They were a bunch of teenagers and it happened outside Dunnes. I saw the same bunch fighting again in Ongar village a few weeks ago, the Guards arrested one or two of them that time.

I never said it was to do with the pub or blamed the pub I just said I have been living in the area for 7 years and never seen any trouble in ONGAR!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I never said it was to do with the pub or blamed the pub I just said I have been living in the area for 7 years and never seen any trouble in ONGAR!!!!

:rolleyes:

Yet you posted a post about a fight in a thread about the pub :rolleyes:

And you referenced the pub right beside the sentence about the fight :rolleyes:

You honestly want us to believe that YOU were NOT making a connection between the two :confused:

amdublin wrote: »
    Yet you posted a post about a fight in a thread about the pub :rolleyes:

And you referenced the pub right beside the sentence about the fight :rolleyes:

You honestly want us to believe that YOU were NOT making a connection between the two :confused:

Ok :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ok :)

Ok! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

so any reports on the interior? is it nice didnt make it in unfortunatly !:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

rec27 wrote: »
    now that the pub is open in ongar, it was one of the missing links that ongar village needed.

what other shops or services do people think ongar could do with?

I'd love if a delicatessan opened - maybe where Soul bakery was. Dunnes' deli offering is very poor compared to Superquinn.

a post office (or even one of those An Post self service kiosks like in Blanch SC where you could weigh parcels/buy stamps etc).

A cheap and cheerful Italian/pizza and pasta restaurant

Other than that, I think Ongar is doing great in terms of facilities compared to other newer suburbs.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'd love if a delicatessan opened - maybe where Soul bakery was. Dunnes' deli offering is very poor compared to Superquinn.

a post office (or even one of those An Post self service kiosks like in Blanch SC where you could weigh parcels/buy stamps etc).

A cheap and cheerful Italian/pizza and pasta restaurant

Other than that, I think Ongar is doing great in terms of facilities compared to other newer suburbs.

Or a real cake shop :o Or even better an Auntie Annes :p

But yea I agree a good deli would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Or a real cake shop :o Or even better an Auntie Annes :p

But yea I agree a good deli would be great :)

Can't agree more! Love Auntie Anne's!!!

Dropped in for my first pint last night. I have to say, I liked the place! The decor and furnishings are nice and thankfully the colour scheme was not the usual bland cream and beige combo you see in loads of new bars. The lights were a bit too bright at the start but they eventually dimmed them at around 10:30pm to make it more cosy. Plenty of TV screens for the sports fans too! I like the size too as it doesn't feel too big and open. There was a fair crowd in there too for a Wed night. One minor criticism - I wouldn't have minded a bit of background music.

There is a basement bar with pool tables. I asked the lounge girl if they serve food and she said she thinks the management are considering opening a restaurant upstairs later in the summer but this is not confirmed. In summary, thumbs up!!

PS - the chipper will do well out of it too - a lot of the pub punters leaving when we did also stopped off for chips etc

basement bar? As in below ground level :eek: Didnt think they would have the room with the beer kegs and all. so its a 3 level bar? Nice.
    Ah you cant beat the low lights, whats the crowd like?

ronan45 wrote: »
    basement bar? As in below ground level :eek: Didnt think they would have the room with the beer kegs and all. so its a 3 level bar? Nice.
    Ah you cant beat the low lights, whats the crowd like?

Yes - underground, the toilets are in the basement too.
    The crowd was fine - mainly youngish (under 30) and very casually dressed but it was midweek. The weekends may attract an older crowd, couples etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carrollmc

In the pub last night for the third time. Have to say I was really disappointed with the crowd that was in there last night. Loads of shouting and people basically falling over. Had three guys beside me punching each other in the stomach as a joke. Banged into the back of me twice but too drunk to notice they spilled my drink. No bar staff cared and nothing was done about it. Hopefully just the day that was in it with all the matches etc. Kid downstairs also and this was at 12.30. Again maybe this was a private function but they should have put a sign on the door saying this if this was the case otherwise people just think its a kid in a pub at night! Heres hoping things get better!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭TomPetty

Was in our new Ongar Pub at the Weekend - Really impressed with my whole experience - Nice Pint of the Black Stuff. Only one thing missing, some Live Music - Maybe a few Ballads / Irish Music.
    Otherwise, very impressed. Long time waiting for it to open .... But worth the wait !

So ehhh Downstairs.... the ehhh "members only club"... does one ask for a membership form at the bar? :D
    Popped my head in the door (nosey bloke i am) and a few tumbleweeds went by as everyone turned to see who was crashing the party lol.... private function maybe :rolleyes:
    other than that a civil crowd inside as far as i could see. Thought the scoops were a tad pricey for being so out of town :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Drove past there today, was a real "classy" looking crowd outside. They were gobbling up the fags and throwing the still lit stubbs onto the road. Sorry but in my opinion it looks rough as. Anyone been in there since the opening?

Arciphel wrote: »
    Drove past there today, was a real "classy" looking crowd outside. They were gobbling up the fags and throwing the still lit stubbs onto the road. Sorry but in my opinion it looks rough as. Anyone been in there since the opening?

I noticed that too some real bogey looking lads and lassies outside a few inside too. Defo not from the area but I guess no matter where you are you will get an element. I havent seen any trouble thus far which is encouraging. Last time i was in there was 2 chaps in the toilet rough as a dogs diner a tad intimidating. But most of the crowd looked decent enough. I wish they would open the bloody blinds though. would be nice to see out into the street as there is feck all to look at in the bar!

I noticed that too some real bogey looking lads and lassies outside a few inside too. Defo not from the area but I guess no matter where you are you will get an element. I havent seen any trouble thus far which is encouraging. Last time i was in there was 2 chaps in the toilet rough as a dogs diner a tad intimidating. But most of the crowd looked decent enough. I wish they would open the bloody blinds though. would be nice to see out into the street as there is feck all to look at in the bar!

Paid my 2nd visit on Saturday night too. Crowd seem alright for the most part - maybe one or two dodgy sorts - but it felt safe and relaxing there. It's nice for the convenience but maybe not some place I'd go regularly. I like being able to pub hop so will tend to go where there is a cluster of pubs.

Paid my 2nd visit on Saturday night too. Crowd seem alright for the most part - maybe one or two dodgy sorts - but it felt safe and relaxing there. It's nice for the convenience but maybe not some place I'd go regularly. I like being able to pub hop so will tend to go where there is a cluster of pubs.

Not much pub hopping in Clonee. used to be good crack years ago

Pub 1 Browns 9.30
    Pub 2 Clonee Inn 10.30
    Pub 3 Village Inn 10.45
    Pub 4 Grasshopper 11.00
    Pub 5 McDonnells 11.30 FECKIN TWISTED ASKING LENNY FOR LATE SCOOPS

• Registered Users Posts: 22 the big show

Has anybody been to private members area

Has anybody been to private members area

So ehhh Downstairs.... the ehhh "members only club"... does one ask for a membership form at the bar?
    Popped my head in the door (nosey bloke i am) and a few tumbleweeds went by as everyone turned to see who was crashing the party lol.... private function maybe

So ehhh Downstairs.... the ehhh "members only club"... does one ask for a membership form at the bar? :D
    Popped my head in the door (nosey bloke i am) and a few tumbleweeds went by as everyone turned to see who was crashing the party lol.... private function maybe :rolleyes:
    other than that a civil crowd inside as far as i could see. Thought the scoops were a tad pricey for being so out of town :P
    So ehhh Downstairs.... the ehhh "members only club"... does one ask for a membership form at the bar?
    Popped my head in the door (nosey bloke i am) and a few tumbleweeds went by as everyone turned to see who was crashing the party lol.... private function maybe

So ehhhh these two posts from you. Are they not exactly the same a couple of days apart. Are you trying to over emphasise a point or something :confused:

What exactly is the point you are making about private functions??

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Paid my 2nd visit on Saturday night too. Crowd seem alright for the most part - maybe one or two dodgy sorts - but it felt safe and relaxing there. It's nice for the convenience but maybe not some place I'd go regularly..

Have to agree with this post, been twice and not overly impressed,not sure about the crowd that go there, dodgy vibe about the place. See it as more a handy place to walk to to watch a game mid week with mates but wont be regular haunt for me.

Went up to get a DVD last night, and have to say the crowd outside the bar was not what you would call pleasent :eek: I have for the last few years lett my son go up to get DVD's on a weekend evening. Wont be doing that anymore. Its such a shame :(

But nothing will change only get worse IMO

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Went up to get a DVD last night, and have to say the crowd outside the bar was not what you would call pleasent :eek: I have for the last few years lett my son go up to get DVD's on a weekend evening. Wont be doing that anymore. Its such a shame :(

But nothing will change only get worse IMO

What happened did people menacingly ignore you whilst you went about your business. So far I have felt more intimated by the group of kids who hang around the entrance to Dunnes than anybody outside the pub

Advertisement