Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ongar pub?

Options
  • 28-01-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭

Was in Ongar village earlier and noticed some work going on at the building designated as a pub (the one opposite the off licence).

The outside is being painted and there appears to be some fit out work going on inside.

Anybody know anything about this?

Is Ongar finally getting it's long awaited public house?!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

Noticed the paint job this week... would be good to have this pub up and running alright....

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Good Luck to them a lot of pubs have closed in the area..

Browns
    McDonnells
    Legends well its technically open but what a mucky crowd and what a kip

Hope it works out in any event long overdue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Browns
    McDonnells

Where were all of these pubs you speak of?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ongar astro park

the pub will be opening hopefully for paddys day :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hopefullt it opens.

But if it doesn't thank god it is being painted, was looking shockingly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ongar astro park

it will open i've seen the inside, it should be ready for mid march

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I've heard that before.

And seen action before.

I'll believe it when I see it. I hope it does open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

All those pubs are/ were in Clonee.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

In the area as i said .... Get in your car and drive for 75 seconds from Ongar roundabout towards lidl and you will see them.
    Im not attacking the pub opening on the contrary i cant wait. The Vitners and the pubs themselves are the ones saying there were pubs closing each week. I just hope it works out, Hell, ill be in there the night it opens.

Clonee has or had

McDonnells (CLOSED)
    Grasshopper
    Village Inn
    Clonee Inn (Closed intermittently opened up now with new management in every other week)
    Browns (Closed)

So its a tough climate out there, Lets just hope this new venture gets the support of the locals is all Im saying :) So lets get in and get GEE EYED

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Looking forward to seeing it open aswell.

Chipper already in place for the usual post beer batter sausage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stepho_dub2004

Ive been trying to find out who will be running the new pub. I live in clonee and have five years experience working in pubs and restaurants and would love to apply for a job. Somebody please help me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

In the area as i said .... Get in your car and drive for 75 seconds from Ongar roundabout towards lidl and you will see them.
    Im not attacking the pub opening on the contrary i cant wait. The Vitners and the pubs themselves are the ones saying there were pubs closing each week. I just hope it works out, Hell, ill be in there the night it opens.

Clonee has or had

McDonnells (CLOSED)
    Grasshopper
    Village Inn
    Clonee Inn (Closed intermittently opened up now with new management in every other week)
    Browns (Closed)

So its a tough climate out there, Lets just hope this new venture gets the support of the locals is all Im saying :) So lets get in and get GEE EYED
    Yeah, because Clonee, a tiny strip of civlisation along a few hundred metres of bypassed road definitely needs 6 identical businesses :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

it will open i've seen the inside, it should be ready for mid march

Just passed by it yesterday. The fact they were working on a Sunday means they are intent at opening asap. Fair dues to them! I love the colour of the new exterior coat of paint (purple). It already has improved the visual appearance of the street. I notice the Eastern European store ERA has also relocated to a larger premises (formerly occupied by the opticians). Nice to see positive retail activity in Ongar in the midst of a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

ongarboy wrote: »
    Nice to see positive retail activity in Ongar in the midst of a recession.

It is indeed. Between the Eastern European shop, the new takeaway and now the pub, there'll be more of a buzz around the village.

It would be nice to see some of the other vacant retail units becoming occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Browns
    McDonnells

browns has been closed at this stage years and mc Donalds was a kip. I heard it May be a Luis fitzGerald pub. I'll ask around. its not a great venue but here's to hope that Ongar residents finally get to go somewhere other than the paddocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Can't wait for it to open to have a snoop.

Wouldn't fancy living on that row attached all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

drove by that new Ongar Pub fit the other day.
    I hope it has

lots of nuks and crannies
    Old rustic style not the real modern operating theatre-esque style
    Decent friendly staff

Woo hoo
    anyone know any opening daters or who will be operating it?

ronan45 wrote: »
    I hope it has

Old rustic style not the real modern hoperating theatre-esque style
    Decent friendly staff

Woo hoo

thought I read another poster on this or another thread say they were aiming for Paddy's Day?? Might be a bit soon if they still have to do internal fit out etc. I looked at it the last day and while it is quite a wide pub, it doesn't seem to go back much so don't think it will be a large pub (like the Paddocks). Anyway, I'd rather a small pub that is easier to fill and has a cosy, atmospheric feel and more likely to succeed than a soulless sprawling large pub that always feels empty except for Sat nights (ie The Paddocks)

ongarboy wrote: »
    thought I read another poster on this or another thread say they were aiming for Paddy's Day?? Might be a bit soon if they still have to do internal fit out etc. I looked at it the last day and while it is quite a wide pub, it doesn't seem to go back much so don't think it will be a large pub (like the Paddocks). Anyway, I'd rather a small pub that is easier to fill and has a cosy, atmospheric feel and more likely to succeed than a soulless sprawling large pub that always feels empty except for Sat nights (ie The Paddocks)

Oh defo small pub, me too. Paddocks has no soul its too large nice cosy is what ya want to horse them pints in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

The barber a few doors down from the pub told me St Patricks day was the aim. He said he spoke to one of the guys involved with it.

• Advertisement

ronan45 wrote: »
    I hope it has

Old rustic style not the real modern operating theatre-esque style
    Decent friendly staff

Woo hoo

Hopefully... like the pub in Tyrellstown. It started off as a modern looking pub, very open, lots of glass and metal, it felt very cold.

Then it was totally refurbished to a much more traditional style and it looks great now.

Flimbos wrote: »
    Hopefully... like the pub in Tyrellstown. It started off as a modern looking pub, very open, lots of glass and metal, it felt very cold.

Then it was totally refurbished to a much more traditional style and it looks great now.

Oh god yeah have to agree. I think for what its worth the thirsty bull is probably the most visually impressive pub possibly in d 15 .
    PS just spoke to a builder in Ongar Aiming for Paddys for sure so were on track.!

]still havent snooped around yet. is it the pub opposite dunnes or the yellow building? god help the people who live beside it. Not being funny but I cant see much passing trade. might attract crowds from certain pubs in clonee..

congo_90 wrote: »
    ]still havent snooped around yet. is it the pub opposite dunnes or the yellow building? god help the people who live beside it. Not being funny but I cant see much passing trade. might attract crowds from certain pubs in clonee..

It's the one opposite Dunnes, now sporting a new purple exterior!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭susiewoosie

I say this place will do well -

I hope they do some activities like Table quizzes and poker games to get people in...

Its been a long time coming having this place.....

boards beers anyone? :D
    might throw a cv in. could reduce my commute big time :)

congo_90 wrote: »
    boards beers anyone? :D
    :)

This just might be the ice breaker that Ongar residents needs to get people meeting up and making new friends in the neighbourhood! A lot the residents here are newly established (5 years or less) without any roots and spend large parts of their day commuting and away from the place so do not get a sense of community or make social contacts with neighbours. I know this might suit a lot of people just fine but a social centre like a pub where you can go, have a pint (or a sparkling water!) and relax might just be the incentive to organise get togethers like a boards beers. I know there have been threads in the past about meet ups at the cafe etc but a beers meet up might entice a few more. Some of us might be more comfortable shooting the breeze and striking up conversations holding a pint rather than a skinny latte! This should definitely be organised once the pub is up and running. Count me in and roll on the opening!!

I live in dunboyne however I'm here less than 5years too.
    that is something Ongar lacks partly down to design but I'd defiantly show up for a boards beers

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Passed again yesterday......Looks quiet, like work had stopped.

Anyone any info?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I heard that it has 2 floors

bottom floor has pool tables...

Advertisement