Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

tony stark wrote: »
    Also wife's sick of hearing...never again I've learned my lesson. Not fair when you go for a pint and come back 14 hours later. What do you say for reassurance. It definitely was the last time.
    Don't beat yourselves up Tony and Corvo. We are only human and we all make mistakes, but the good news is neither of you WANT to drink so let's get back to positive thinking and try to identify the trigger so it doesn't happen again. I had many false starts before I finally managed, after over thirty years of destructive drinking, to knock it on the head once and for all. There is plenty of professional help out there if you find the going too hard and they helped me to achieve the ten years of sobriety I have behind me now. Believe me, if I could do it ANYBODY can. Best wishes to you both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It takes a lot of sobriety time for others to see we are not just going to go back to our old ways.

In my case, I simply never blamed my family or close friends for not trusting that "this is it." I went through a lot of "this is its" ;) Before it finally was this is it.

realies wrote: »
    It takes a lot of sobriety time for others to see we are not just going to go back to our old ways.

In my case, I simply never blamed my family or close friends for not trusting that "this is it." I went through a lot of "this is its" ;) Before it finally was this is it.
    Nail on the head realies. It's just a matter of persisting, on a daily basis. Never give up giving up. Hope is all we have, but that hope can turn to reality if we just keep focused on the big prize. The best thing I found is not to promise giving up to our nearest and dearest, but just to prove, by our actions, that we are trying our best to stay sober, hour by hour, day by day, week by week. When they see we are sincere in our efforts, they will begin to trust us again. It's a hard slog and takes a long time to earn their trust again, but in time they will meet us half way. I let my own people down so many times and saw the hurt in their faces when I betrayed them again that it took a hell of a long time to regain their trust, but in the end I got there and so can anyone. They WANT to believe in us and only we can grant their wish. A day at time. It works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

156 days so far or 5 months and 6 days :) I made a plan that I wouldn't drink from January the 1st until after my exams which ended two weeks ago.. I actualy have no will to drink now and can't see myself going back on it anytime soon. Lets just hope it was worth it when the results come out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hedgehog2

10mths now,was half thinking of breaking during the week only crossed my mind really but after reading a few posts over the last few days it has strengthened my will to abstain.
    Keep it up folks,looking forward to my 1yr mark soon and staying on the road of sobriety definitely suits me better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

138 days (4 months 18 days) I am well proud of myself! Ye should be proud of yourselves as well!

Nice going. Hope everyone else is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Full week off now. Thank god. Feeling good. Absolutely crap news in work doesn't even make me want to drink. Bad news is bad enough without the depression of hangover for days after a bender.

Deleted

Great to hear, well done pal.

It's amazing the life you can create being sober. 3 months off 2 years for me, it's been the best two years of my life without question.

Great to hear, well done pal.

It's amazing the life you can create being sober. 3 months off 2 years for me, it's been the best two years of my life without question.
    What a beautiful post. Well done and congratulations. We may give you hope but you give us hope too and that's what it's all about. We are doing well, folks. With all the problems we encounter in our lives, just imagine what it would be like for us and our loved ones if we were back living in a bottle again. Onwards and upwards ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I remember peeking into this forum a number of years ago, wondering from my cynical boozers mind who were all these weirdos who didn't drink but there was obviously a reason I was 'peeking' in, to maybe see if I could ever picture myself in their shoes.

Well 2 years off it now and like KaG, they've been the best ever in terms of life satisfaction, fulfillment and personal growth.

Now I'm in here with all you great guys looking out at all those like my former self with empathy, but ready to welcome to any of them into the fold, should they decide to take the leap.

If any of you are 'peeking' now ... have courage and there's support here for you.

hubba wrote: »
    I remember peeking into this forum a number of years ago, wondering from my cynical boozers mind who were all these weirdos who didn't drink but there was obviously a reason I was 'peeking' in, to maybe see if I could ever picture myself in their shoes.

Well 2 years off it now and like KaG, they've been the best ever in terms of life satisfaction, fulfillment and personal growth.

Now I'm in here with all you great guys looking out at all those like my former self with empathy, but ready to welcome to any of them into the fold, should they decide to take the leap.

If any of you are 'peeking' now ... have courage and there's support here for you.
    I think we were all a bit curious when we were drinking about the mindset of those who had deserted our ranks for sobriety. As you say, maybe we were a bit more than curious and probably secretly envious of the escapees. For my part, I resented these 'traitors' and bad-mouthed them until the day when I joined their ranks. Anyway, for anyone out there who might be peeking and thinking of joining us, please accept our invitation to your new life free from slavery.

Just found this cringe thread from 5 years ago on this very forum! It was always going one way wasn't it. I was so lost back then it was unreal, and constantly lying about anything & everything. I'm rarely dishonest at all these days, maybe the odd little white lie but compared to the bull**** I used to spout protecting my drinking it's unreal.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54782989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

17 days now, going well enough so far

Probably the biggest thing I've had to deal with in sobriety happened yesterday. My granddad died last night. Being sober over the last 20 months has given me the chance to spend quality time with him that I wanted to spend with him, which created a bond that we never had before. Compared to when I was actively drinking and the only reason I ever went down to his house was to get money from him or my gran as that is how selfish a person I was. I'm very upset about his death but the power of a program I live by & the people in it has the thought of a drink not even an option.

So my message to people that are just starting is that if you get through the first few months and then a year anything in life can be dealt with without the need for oblivion. Life becomes what it should have always been, being there for other people & in turn them being there for you. I wish everyone the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Probably the biggest thing I've had to deal with in sobriety happened yesterday. My granddad died last night. Being sober over the last 20 months has given me the chance to spend quality time with him that I wanted to spend with him, which created a bond that we never had before. Compared to when I was actively drinking and the only reason I ever went down to his house was to get money from him or my gran as that is how selfish a person I was. I'm very upset about his death but the power of a program I live by & the people in it has the thought of a drink not even an option.

So my message to people that are just starting is that if you get through the first few months and then a year anything in life can be dealt with without the need for oblivion. Life becomes what it should have always been, being there for other people & in turn them being there for you. I wish everyone the best.

Fantastic post, KaG. So sorry to hear about your loss but I'm very appreciative that you took the time to share that message with us. Very selfless of you and wise words as such a hard time. I especially like the phrase 'life becomes what it should have always been' - that's exactly how I feel about my new sober life. Thanks, KaG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I’m very sorry for your loss KaG

I’m a lurker here rather than a poster, but your post really moved me. The fact that giving up alcohol allowed you to reconnect with your grandfather is amazing. That knowledge will be with you for the rest of your life and I’m sure it meant a lot to your grandfather in his final months. The fact that you’re not even thinking of drinking at such a difficult time shows how strong you are and how far you’ve come. Truly an inspiration to any body either thinking of sobriety or in the early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭TheKingslayer

Thoughts and prayers with you at this time pal.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭seanrose

Hi

I am after watching the film "Flight" with Denzel Washington and my first thought was to write here.

The character that he plays is somebody that I can definitely relate to and im sure a lot of people here can relate to

I wont give to much away but the last 10 minutes of the film I cried and a film I will watch and watch over again when the urge of drink comes upon me and realise how drink can overcome your life and the problems it causes

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

471 days:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

533 days today!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Thinking of you KaG, I had a similar experience when my great-aunt died when I was 9 months sober, I spent a lot of time with her including sharing overnight duties in the hospital in her last days... couldn't have done it if I was still out drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Great to see this thread gaining more and more momentum, keep it up!

I passed 4 years at the end of May :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭TheKingslayer

Anyone watched the film Flight ?

Loved the quote at the end.
    "This is going to sound real stupid coming from a man in prison. But for the first time in my life, I am free."

35 days, will report back in 70, going really well

Four days. Today will be five. Sure tis easy and I've done it regularly, but never with an actual dedicated resolve of "I will NOT drink today". Feels somewhat more resolute and therefore somehow longer...

as an aside, I was up in court today for driving offences, which were the result of my drinking, not drink driving but no insurance, failure to produce etc, I got a good result, I must say, only good things are happening to me sinc eI stopped boozing, being honest with myself and being honest with others makes a big difference in life

Four days. Today will be five. Sure tis easy and I've done it regularly, but never with an actual dedicated resolve of "I will NOT drink today". Feels somewhat more resolute and therefore somehow longer...

One day at a time. In the early days it can also feel like every hour, minute & second. Determination and a will to stop will see you through it. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

It's been 90 days for me today. I gave up for reasons that are probably familiar to many - lost nights, crippling hangovers and the general negative impact it was having on my life.

So far it's been a very liberating experience. I've had a total change in mindset as regards alcohol, and I'm fully committed to staying off it.

The first two months were a bit weird socially. I didn't go out with my friends at all because I wanted to stay away from the pub, I just focused my energy on work and getting back into lifting weights. Over the past month though I've been out a good few times, and I have to say I found it no problem at all. I'm lucky that my OH and my friends have all been pretty supportive about my decision.

I've been keeping up with this thread throughout this time, and I have to say that it's been a big source of inspiration and help. So a big thank you to everyone who's posted in it.

• Advertisement

It's been 90 days for me today. I gave up for reasons that are probably familiar to many - lost nights, crippling hangovers and the general negative impact it was having on my life.

So far it's been a very liberating experience. I've had a total change in mindset as regards alcohol, and I'm fully committed to staying off it.

The first two months were a bit weird socially. I didn't go out with my friends at all because I wanted to stay away from the pub, I just focused my energy on work and getting back into lifting weights. Over the past month though I've been out a good few times, and I have to say I found it no problem at all. I'm lucky that my OH and my friends have all been pretty supportive about my decision.

I've been keeping up with this thread throughout this time, and I have to say that it's been a big source of inspiration and help. So a big thank you to everyone who's posted in it.

Well done

The part I highlighted most of us would have been the same so don't worry. I had to break ties with some people that just didn't want me to stop even though it was clearly ruining my life. That can happen so don't be shocked great to hear the OH is really supportive that is a huge thing. One saying that has stuck to me in changing how I live and the person I was is this.

The person you were will drink again, the person you were will have to drink again.

People like me anyway drank excessively for other reasons that I've only addressed recently(nearly 2 years since I last took a drink!). Another thing you mentioned about exercise I found that AMAZING too, I really got in to that too. Especially running, I was 17 1/2 stone when I quit I'm now a little under 12 and in the best shape of my life hoping to do the Dublin marathon in October. All from living a good life and trying to be there for the people that care about me. Best of luck, one day at a time.

Advertisement