Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

ronan45 wrote: »
    Im off it Literally to the day as yourself from 2 /3 binge black out sessions per week to ZERO intake. Weirdly enough both mornings i felt strangely groggy and today also allmost like i had drank last night then i was like hang on I DIDNT drink its my imagination playing games. ALso i found it a bit hard to sleep. I feel kinda lighter thou and stranglely light headed. How long does it take to clear all traces of alcohol from ones system? One thing i did slip on was to stop me drinking i replaced the gargle with a load of Junk food .. in effect trying to kill the urge by filling myself with food. ill have to get that sorted!;)

I had the feeling of being hungover in the mornings as well - turns out it was because i was replacing alcohol with coca cola, especially at parties - replacing one form of sugar for another. Make sure you get lots of water (or tea).

To be honest, the light headedness is probably just your bodies reaction to not having alcohol in the system rather than still having it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

quinrea01 wrote: »
    I did indeed mean username. No biggie, though. The thing is you're headed in the right direction and that's all that REALLY matters....'a rose by any other name' etc.

Thanks, No problem, I was wondering, 'this guy mustn't like seeing fish in alcohol or whatever'.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

:D
    TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    Thanks, No problem, I was wondering, 'this guy mustn't like seeing fish in alcohol or whatever'.
    Well I used to drink like a fish.....

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

quinrea01 wrote: »
    :D
    Well I used to drink like a fish.....

106 days YIPPEEEEEEEE!

But you're right, I probably should change my username. I'm just hoping they'll give me moderatorship over a forum some time soon:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Off it completely for over two months now. The only way I can describe the feeling is being born again. I know I am only recently off it completely but I look back at my drinking days and ask myself why I put myself through such sheer hell. The conclusion that I have come to is that drinking is a slow suicide. I know I can never drink moderately. Complete abstinence is the only answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I can't remember the last time I drank, I was never a big drinker. I could never understand going out to drink and paying for it the next day.

Each to there own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

i was on ant-psychotics too once, but then realised that i didnt really need them. i think shrinks are paid comission for prescribing them and getting people addicted to them

I'm currently on them. They have hugely improved my life.

More on topic, I'm on the dry for two months I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

440 days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

figs666 wrote: »
    TO ME TRUE FREEDOM IS TO NOT DRINK AND NOT WANT TO DRINK .

^^^Says it all :)

Tomorrow I will be going to wedding, it will be my first since I last had a drink nearly 6 1/2 years ago. While I am looking forward to the day out and night away from the children, I am a bit apphrehensive about being around alcohol consumption for such a prolonged period of time. I am not worried that I am going to have a drink but I am wondering how comfortable I will be for the day...

I was talking to a friend during to week who told me a friend of his will not go to weddings (even those of very close family members including children) and he has been sober for over 20 years:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 baileatha

lindtee wrote: »

Tomorrow I will be going to wedding, it will be my first since I last had a drink nearly 6 1/2 years ago. While I am looking forward to the day out and night away from the children, I am a bit apphrehensive about being around alcohol consumption for such a prolonged period of time. I am not worried that I am going to have a drink but I am wondering how comfortable I will be for the day...

I was talking to a friend during to week who told me a friend of his will not go to weddings (even those of very close family members including children) and he has been sober for over 20 years:eek:

Well done on 6 and 1/2 years sobriety. If I was in your position I would go to the wedding but have a definite plan B that allows me to exit early should I feel the need. You may feel very comfortable or you may not. In the event you do not feel comfortable I would suggest leaving the bar/reception area. Protect your hard won sobriety at ALL costs. All the best and enjoy the wedding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 derry dirtfisher

baileatha wrote: »
    Well done on 6 and 1/2 years sobriety. If I was in your position I would go to the wedding but have a definite plan B that allows me to exit early should I feel the need. You may feel very comfortable or you may not. In the event you do not feel comfortable I would suggest leaving the bar/reception area. Protect your hard won sobriety at ALL costs. All the best and enjoy the wedding.

for definite. sobriety needs to stay as your number one priority. just hang about while its comfortable....theres an old saying that says if you sit in a barbers for long enough youll eventually get a haircut

enjoy the wedding and stay safe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Enjoy the day and has already being said have a plan b making sure that you do have one and your partner or close friends no about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

4 years today

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Well done, derealbadger. It's great to see so many celebrating such positive anniversaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Well done therealbadger. Agree with hubba, its great to see :)

I survived the wedding but can't say that I felt comfortable:( I think this was because I stayed too long as everyone got progressively drunker. I went on my own with a friend and didn't really know anyone there except the bride so it was hard. Would not rule another wedding out but under different circumstances.

4 years today

:) Congratulations and well done :)

Well done therealbadger. Agree with hubba, its great to see :)

I survived the wedding but can't say that I felt comfortable:( I think this was because I stayed too long as everyone got progressively drunker. I went on my own with a friend and didn't really know anyone there except the bride so it was hard. Would not rule another wedding out but under different circumstances.

I've been to two weddings and I have to say I will be giving any future ones a wide berth. I think even when you are drinking, weddings can be quite a social challenge - all that small talk and waiting around, not to mention having to get dressed up! But not drinking - well, for me, it just becomes incredibly boring and I get really restless to leave. So I guess my message is for people not to beat themselves up over finding weddings a handful and if you feel at all vulnerable, give it a miss (or leave early if you are already there). To me, sobriety gets priority.

4 years today
    All downhill from here, but always be vigilant and never surrender what you have fought so hard to achieve. And keep in mind that a drink is only an arms length away. Congratulations and continue to enjoy your new life and freedom.

2 years this week.

Life is just so different for me off drink that I've no intention of ever going back there.

And fyi - the 'banter' is a million times better sober with family and friends, or out volunteering or exercising with like minded people! Just sayin'.

hubba wrote: »
    2 years this week.

Life is just so different for me off drink that I've no intention of ever going back there.

And fyi - the 'banter' is a million times better sober with family and friends, or out volunteering or exercising with like minded people! Just sayin'.

Delighted for you hubba :)
    Two years ago you found your bottom, Got off the elevator and now look at all you have accomplished,
    I've been around long enough to watch you succeed. Wow...you are kicking some serious Alcohol ass! great work :D
    :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, Realies. And thank YOU for your support, advice and positive attitude - you are a great example to all of us here. :D

2 years this week.

Well done!

2 years this week.

Congrats from me too. As you say, the banter is much more enjoyable when you are in full control of everything you say and most of what you want to hear. Especially among friends and family who are 100% behind you and genuinely wish you well. How many times have we woken up with sick heads and the gradual creeping memory of things we said the night before that we would give ANYTHING to turn the clock back and never have said. Enjoy your nights out now, as I do, and always be aware of the dangers out there. Whenever you feel uneasy just get up and get out of there. Close friends and family will understand and not think any less of you. Keep up the good work fellow escapees and all the best for the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

4 days, in the process of drying out after a bender that lasted 3 years that turned me into a chronic alcoholic and nearly killed me

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

How come people always post on this thread a Sunday? Methinks people suspiciously decide to give up then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

If you have a problem with alcohol, and then you decide to give it up - you have to be careful and observant to make sure you don't drink again.

Does this mean that you can never have a life as fulfilling and easy as someone who doesn't have a problem with alcohol? I mean it will always be in the back of your mind that you cant just have a few drinks, and that you cant be complacent with your sobriety - where as a normal drinker never has to worry about such things. Maybe this isn't the best way of describing it but hopefully you'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

I was 4 months off it. Said I'd see how long I could go. Then on Sunday I went on a 14 hour session. Feel absolutely awful now, so low. I can't just have one I have proved to myself. I'm off it forever now. Still waiting for the depression to lift. I had been feeling great for the last 4 months getting fit and eating well in high spirits. I didn't miss the drink thanks to being in a great marriage. But on Sunday I was meeting up with an old friend. Whenever we meet its a mess of drink. Feel sad as I know this friendship is going to go but it has to be done. Don't want to ruin my marriage. Feel terrible having to start from scratch again after 4 months clean. Hopefully reading the posts here will keep me motivated. I had stopped reading them over last two months. I now know I need to keep reading for motivation. In a way I'm glad it happened Sunday as I know for sure I can never just have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭tony stark

Also wife's sick of hearing...never again I've learned my lesson. Not fair when you go for a pint and come back 14 hours later. What do you say for reassurance. It definitely was the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Corvo

Fell off the wagon this week also, very dissapointed. 6 weeks approx. I was off it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

tony stark wrote: »
    I was 4 months off it. Said I'd see how long I could go. Then on Sunday I went on a 14 hour session. Feel absolutely awful now, so low. I can't just have one I have proved to myself. I'm off it forever now. Still waiting for the depression to lift. I had been feeling great for the last 4 months getting fit and eating well in high spirits. I didn't miss the drink thanks to being in a great marriage. But on Sunday I was meeting up with an old friend. Whenever we meet its a mess of drink. Feel sad as I know this friendship is going to go but it has to be done. Don't want to ruin my marriage. Feel terrible having to start from scratch again after 4 months clean. Hopefully reading the posts here will keep me motivated. I had stopped reading them over last two months. I now know I need to keep reading for motivation. In a way I'm glad it happened Sunday as I know for sure I can never just have one.
    the past is the past, forget it about and move on, one day at a time

Advertisement