Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

arahjaysus wrote: »
    The three day hangovers and DT's and depression until the middle of the following week are also a killer.

I am ready to stop drinking but am worried about the effect it will have on my social life, I've seen other people post about the Irish 'social awkwardness' and I agree. I feel like I wouldn't know what to do in a pub without a pint in my hand and would be scared of my life to approach a woman.

I suppose I am wondering how people get through it, do you stop for a month at first and then see how you feel? Can you have a life without the pub? How do you unwind? Where do you meet a woman if not in a pub or nightclub?

Can you have a life without the pub? Its not good when you have to ask that. I reached a point where I couldnt go on with the lifestyle anymore, on the outside everything seemed normal, ish, but mentally and emotionally I was hanging on by a thread. When I quit I was convinced my life was over, and I was actually ok with that, because sh1t had gotten that bad for me, and I remember thinking that its absolutely fine if I never have fun again, I still need to do this.

I know its a cliche to say that your life is only beginning when you quit boozing, but really, truly, your life is only beginning when you quit boozing. It only seems like you're gonna miss out on so much because your whole social life is drinking, but once you step away from that you realise that when your whole life is drinking you're actually missing out on everything.

For starters get more physically active, endorphins are the perfect natural antidepressant and soon you will start to catch yourself being happy for no reason. With a clear head and positive outlook life will start to become easier. Get to know yourself better by losing the facades that you used to put on in social situations. Start to take pride in your work and make some real progress, this was never possible when every Tuesday felt like you've just got back from the electric picnic. Forget about the pub, theres a whole world out there, get out and live it.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Anhedonia, I couldn't have said it better myself. That's exactly what it's like, for me anyway. It might sound corny or evangelistic to someone still deep in the drinking world but that really is how it is.

My only regret, though I try not to dwell on it, is that I had to get to my age to discover this. I feel a lot of my life was wasted. But nothing I can do about that now. I've got to live for now and be grateful I got to experience this at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Just an update on myself, I decided not to go out tonight like I said I was planning a few posts back. Figured its probably for the best. I'm gonna get up early tomorrow and maybe have a day out or something

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

6 Months today since I last had a drink.. I'm already making celebratory plans for the big '1 year' which will no doubt fly in as fast as these 6 months have.

Can honestly say these have been the best 6 months of my life so far.. all of the pieces are coming together nicely :)

Here's to the Good Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

figs666 wrote: »
    I second that , 3 months here today .

Six weeks today and it's only getting easier:):cool:

Keep it up people, you know you have it in you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    Six weeks today and it's only getting easier:):cool:

Keep it up people, you know you have it in you!

Time to change that username there? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Wattle wrote: »

Time to change that username there? ;)

Haha, I would if I could. It was the only name I could think of on the day that I joined, Arthur's day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

I've had lots of issues with my drinking over the years..I need support from all angles all the time, but last night was too far.

I haven't touched a drink in 5 weeks, and then i decide to go out and celebrate my daughters engagement. I lost the plot, I went overboard. Long story short, I was arrested and will never show my face again to my daughter and her fiance.

I was feeling good..now I don't..

I've had lots of issues with my drinking over the years..I need support from all angles all the time, but last night was too far.

I haven't touched a drink in 5 weeks, and then i decide to go out and celebrate my daughters engagement. I lost the plot, I went overboard. Long story short, I was arrested and will never show my face again to my daughter and her fiance.

I was feeling good..now I don't..

I've been there myself and it acted as the catalyst for finally quitting. Try and take the lesson on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Great to see so many getting on so well,I am just coming up to 4 years sober and to give an idea of changes in my life health etc. i gave up smoking in October 40 a day man smoking since I was 11 yo I have always been over weight but had got completely out of hand after stopping smoking in January I was 22 stone my height is 6 ft 1 inch i have started to exercise 6 days a week alternating between bike walk gym as of today I am 18 stone and I have never felt as well in my life.Plans for the rest of the year are to shed 3 more stone do the Sean Kelly 160 k cycle in August start to put my toe in the dating waters [far more scared about this than doing the 160 k cycle] hoping to meet someone special and settle down. The reason I am posting all this is that it is so far from where my life was and from the way that I thought 4 years ago that it is like the twilight zone.
    When I reached the end of the line with alcohol it was as if my life was over but now I can see that it was only then that I actually started to have a life.

• Advertisement

Great to see so many getting on so well,I am just coming up to 4 years sober and to give an idea of changes in my life health etc. i gave up smoking in October 40 a day man smoking since I was 11 yo I have always been over weight but had got completely out of hand after stopping smoking in January I was 22 stone my height is 6 ft 1 inch i have started to exercise 6 days a week alternating between bike walk gym as of today I am 18 stone and I have never felt as well in my life.Plans for the rest of the year are to shed 3 more stone do the Sean Kelly 160 k cycle in August start to put my toe in the dating waters [far more scared about this than doing the 160 k cycle] hoping to meet someone special and settle down. The reason I am posting all this is that it is so far from where my life was and from the way that I thought 4 years ago that it is like the twilight zone.
    When I reached the end of the line with alcohol it was as if my life was over but now I can see that it was only then that I actually started to have a life.

Well done that is some achievement. Anything can be done while being sober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

365 days.
    been the best year of my life, looking forward to many more, thanks everyone for your kind words.

anhedonia wrote: »
    365 days.
    been the best year of my life, looking forward to many more, thanks everyone for your kind words.

Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinrea01

Well done to all and keep up the good work. I am almost nine and a half years sober now aftr over forty years of hard drinking. Alcohol led me into so many bad places and I lost a lot through it, especially the magic years of my kids when they were growing up. I lost friends too, some, happily I have been able to make amends to. At no point have I even considered going back to the habits of the old days. I am not a saint, nor do I think myself to be in any way superior to anyone. All I can say is that my life has improved so much in so many ways since I stopped drinking and I recommend it to anyone who believes they are headed for the slippery slope. Good luck to everyone out there.

365 days.

Great landmark reached there. Keep it up.

365 days.

Fantastic, well done, Anhedonia. Here's to many more great years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BabyJohnMartin

Ben 2 yr now adn i dont be messing it 1 bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

1 year 11 days, been probably the best and most constructive year of my adult life!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

90 days, feeling great!! never felt better in fact!
    The longer you stay clean, the better you feel :)
    All my mates will have big sick heads on them all weekend, don't envy them one bit. I think they are the losers in this situation :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

1 month, 3 weeks and 4 days :D I have a ticker on another forum to show off :pac: Really proud of myself. Going to miss out on Paddy's Day drinks and birthday drinks for the first time since i turned 18. Won't miss the hangover though!

Congrats everyone! Really proud of ye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭emmabrighton

1 year, 4 months today and I am really down.

I shamed myself into stopping drinking and for the last year have been doing really well by keeping my goals achievable and not making things about me. The problem was that I had become so involved in my problems and felt the world owed me something that I didn't care how it was affecting others.

I received a summons this week so have to attend court due to my drinking. The event itself caused me to reevaluate my drinking and to seek help for my addiction. Honestly, I don't think i could have stopped drinking if it hadn't happened.

For the previous year I had really tried hard to stop but nothing worked. I had attended meetings 2-3 times a week and even gone to therapy and the GP in an attempt to stop but nothing had worked and now I find myself in this position even though I have been sober for 1 year and 4 months.

Its true, things have to get worse before they get better. I am really worried that I wont be able to cope and am afraid that it will all become too much and I will do something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

Hi emma, i was in the same position as u. Got a drink driving summons but luckily got off it. Dont despair you'll get over this and then you can leave that world behind. I suggest you go to a couple of solicitors that give free advce and see if theres anything they can get you off on. If it is dui let me know as i did alot of my own work on it and got off on a technacality.

I shamed myself into stopping drinking and for the last year have been doing really well by keeping my goals achievable and not making things about me. The problem was that I had become so involved in my problems and felt the world owed me something that I didn't care how it was affecting others.

I received a summons this week so have to attend court due to my drinking. The event itself caused me to reevaluate my drinking and to seek help for my addiction. Honestly, I don't think i could have stopped drinking if it hadn't happened.

For the previous year I had really tried hard to stop but nothing worked. I had attended meetings 2-3 times a week and even gone to therapy and the GP in an attempt to stop but nothing had worked and now I find myself in this position even though I have been sober for 1 year and 4 months.

Its true, things have to get worse before they get better. I am really worried that I wont be able to cope and am afraid that it will all become too much and I will do something stupid.

Unfortunately you may have to take it on the chin but try and learn the lesson that this is where drinking leads you to. Don't forget that you are over a year sober which is a great accomplishment. Stay close to your AA group and share what you are feeling. They will give you the right advice.

Hi Emmabrighton, as low as you feel now, you will get through it. If you were in this situation and you were still drinking, you would be in a far worse position. Make it your daily job to lift your mood, no matter how you do it: listen to music, do a gratitude list, call a friend, take a long bath, go for a walk in the park/beach, read a good book, whatever it takes. And watch out for ruminating as it will make you worse, distract yourself if you find you are going down a thinkhole.

This WILL pass and you have shown that you have inner strength by quitting booze last year. You have support here. Wishing you the best and let us know how you get on.

I had a sober paddys day today... went back to the family home (I live alone in Dublin) and spent the day with the family and just had a good day - Mass this morning, parades on the telly, compared notes on Cheltenham with my dad, chatted with my mam, wrote some notes for a course I'm doing, and just had a quiet one

Might sound boring as hell but I'm very proud, it's the best paddy's day I've had since I was a kid before I started drinking - didn't blow all my money, no aggro or fights, no feeling like crap, no hangover tomorrow

Best thing of all is that I'm not plagued by the thoughts that "I'm missing something" - that used to drive me mad and I could never say no to a night out. I just don't care - I missed some stuff alright and I bet none of it was good.

:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah it's great to be fresh in the post Paddy's haze :D

Have been looking at pictures of friends out last night having the craic and the only thing that I feel I missed out on is their company.. drink doesn't even come into it :)

Was half thinking of going out but the thought of sharing a cramped bar/club with people who had been out all day just didn't appeal to me. I'll make up for it on another 'normal' night :)

Well done to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 BabyJohnMartin

Fell off the wagon for paddies but will git back on agan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Fell off the wagon for paddies but will git back on agan

You won't be the only one. No worries. Stay sober.

• Advertisement

About three months today.

I found once I broke the pattern of what I normally did every day it really helped and got much easier.

I've gotten some of the "you're no craic now" crap from some people but I see now that there is a big difference between drinking buddies and actual friends.

"Drinking buddies" are annoyed there is one less person to drink with and help them normalize their behavior in their head.

Friends have by and large been supportive and we've started doing other stuff besides drinking, which I think we have all found better than sitting in the pub planning, but never doing, these things.

Advertisement