Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Just happened across this forum never new boards had anything like it, just thought id give my story.

It's been 7-8 months since I last drank, I'm a 28 year old male.

I suppose looking back I was a heavy drinker for years, since about 17 I binge drank quite heavily, mainly on weekends when I was that young. It started out ditch drinking and when I turned 18 i started going to the pubs, this went on for years, id go out without fail every Friday, Saturday and Sunday and get pissed, id average about 8-10 pints and after that hit the hard stuff, all doubles and shots until I was wasted.

Then when my early twenties came I started drinking at home on top of that, I've always been an introvert and I enjoyed drinking at home by myself most of the time if im honest.

So id usually pick say two days out of the week not including weekends, id have anywhere from 10-15 cans of beer in one sitting, never any less as I always drank to get drunk..

So anyway this went on and on until one day BANG...woke up after a session to find myself in hospital, didn't no why or how I got there, nurse comes in and says doctor will talk to you do you no what happened, i said no, she said they had to pump my stomach due to alcohol poisoning , I honestly had no recollection of any of it, what so ever. It turns out I passed out and started vomiting in my sleep, nobody could wake me so they called an ambulance.

Doctor came in and basically said all the same stuff and asked a few questions and all that, they took blood and I awaited the results.

In the mean time my then friends were kind enough to put the video they took of me up on social media. It took me a while for it to register and sink in, I was so so bad, zero control over myself, still drinking, speaking in tongues, couldn't stand up, pissed and **** myself and more but the friends thought it was a great laugh, bit of craic,

Anyway then the blood tests came back and the doctor said my Liver enzymes were high, too high and that the drinking was damaging my liver, this scared the **** out of me no end, he said come back in two three weeks for repeat tests and then we'd go from there, so I did that and while still too high they came down a bit and he recommend I stop drinking and consult with my GP, so I did. Anyway it's only now that my liver function is back to normal, some 7-8 months later.

I could of died that night, my blood pressure dropped very low and my breathing was too shallow, but I was more concerned with my liver, I thought being as young as I was id be immune, not the case. I have not had a drink since and doubt I ever will again. I'll never be a social drinker, that never interested me as I was always an all in or not kind of guy so I don't or wont ever bother with it at all now.

I've lost all my friends now as a side effect though, I wouldn't go out and do the pub/nightclub thing sober, the whole motivation for me was going out and getting pissed, I never actually enjoyed the nightclub scene truth be told.

Anyway that's basically it, im just thankful I came away with my health, I look back on that hospitalization night (as humiliating as it was) as a saving grace, if it hadn't of happened how much more abuse would I of given my liver? I certainly had no intention of stopping at the time and I could of done some real and permanent damage, scary to think about it really and it's something all drinkers/binge drinkers need to be aware of, that it can and will over time affect your health.

So thats my story with drink! sorry for the wall of text I tried to condense it down as much as I could:)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

34 Day's, I was so close today, A lot of things going on and struggling, Finding it hard to cope. I started walking to the pub, Thankfully I started thinking as bad as things are, if I go drinking it's going to be so much worse tomorrow. I turned around and walked home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

mixed up wrote: »
    34 Day's, I was so close today, A lot of things going on and struggling, Finding it hard to cope. I started walking to the pub, Thankfully I started thinking as bad as things are, if I go drinking it's going to be so much worse tomorrow. I turned around and walked home.

Yes, playing the tape forward as they say. I still do it, probably will never stop doing it I suppose as long as I, hopefully, continue alcohol free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Just happened across this forum never new boards had anything like it, just thought id give my story.

I suppose looking back I was a heavy drinker for years, since about 17 I binge drank quite heavily, mainly on weekends when I was that young. It started out ditch drinking and when I turned 18 i started going to the pubs, this went on for years, id go out without fail every Friday, Saturday and Sunday and get pissed, id average about 8-10 pints and after that hit the hard stuff, all doubles and shots until I was wasted.

Then when my early twenties came I started drinking at home on top of that, I've always been an introvert and I enjoyed drinking at home by myself most of the time if im honest.

So id usually pick say two days out of the week not including weekends, id have anywhere from 10-15 cans of beer in one sitting, never any less as I always drank to get drunk..

So anyway this went on and on until one day BANG...woke up after a session to find myself in hospital, didn't no why or how I got there, nurse comes in and says doctor will talk to you do you no what happened, i said no, she said they had to pump my stomach due to alcohol poisoning , I honestly had no recollection of any of it, what so ever. It turns out I passed out and started vomiting in my sleep, nobody could wake me so they called an ambulance.

Doctor came in and basically said all the same stuff and asked a few questions and all that, they took blood and I awaited the results.

In the mean time my then friends were kind enough to put the video they took of me up on social media. It took me a while for it to register and sink in, I was so so bad, zero control over myself, still drinking, speaking in tongues, couldn't stand up, pissed and **** myself and more but the friends thought it was a great laugh, bit of craic,

Anyway then the blood tests came back and the doctor said my Liver enzymes were high, too high and that the drinking was damaging my liver, this scared the **** out of me no end, he said come back in two three weeks for repeat tests and then we'd go from there, so I did that and while still too high they came down a bit and he recommend I stop drinking and consult with my GP, so I did. Anyway it's only now that my liver function is back to normal, some 7-8 months later.

I could of died that night, my blood pressure dropped very low and my breathing was too shallow, but I was more concerned with my liver, I thought being as young as I was id be immune, not the case. I have not had a drink since and doubt I ever will again. I'll never be a social drinker, that never interested me as I was always an all in or not kind of guy so I don't or wont ever bother with it at all now.

I've lost all my friends now as a side effect though, I wouldn't go out and do the pub/nightclub thing sober, the whole motivation for me was going out and getting pissed, I never actually enjoyed the nightclub scene truth be told.

Anyway that's basically it, im just thankful I came away with my health, I look back on that hospitalization night (as humiliating as it was) as a saving grace, if it hadn't of happened how much more abuse would I of given my liver? I certainly had no intention of stopping at the time and I could of done some real and permanent damage, scary to think about it really and it's something all drinkers/binge drinkers need to be aware of, that it can and will over time affect your health.

So thats my story with drink! sorry for the wall of text I tried to condense it down as much as I could:)

Hi there.

13 days off alcohol for me. Your post hit a nerve with me.

I also got told I had high enzymes in my liver in 2012. I've been ignoring it and binge drinking occassionally since.

Two weeks ago I drank Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and was two hours late for work on Friday.

I love my job and I've decided to go cold turkey. For as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Hi there.

13 days off alcohol for me. Your post hit a nerve with me.

I also got told I had high enzymes in my liver in 2012. I've been ignoring it and binge drinking occassionally since.

Two weeks ago I drank Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and was two hours late for work on Friday.

I love my job and I've decided to go cold turkey. For as long as possible.
    What does high liver enzymes mean?

• Advertisement

Wow. Well done. I'm approaching a year without a drop. The biggest thing is dealing with my emotions and the severe anxiety I've masked with booze for approx 17 years. Anyway, so glad I quit as the positives outweigh the negatives. I can't imagine how I went through life in such a haze for so long. Probably due to ignorance mainly.

lufties wrote: »
    I can't imagine how I went through life in such a haze for so long. Probably due to ignorance mainly.

After I have a very large and very strong coffee first thing in the morning I am laser focused. I can get a phenomenal amount of work done, by far my most productive time of the day, it tapers off a little bit during the day due to mild natural fatigue.

But when I think back to the years and years of starting my day hungover. I was in a haze as you say, completely foggy at best, and often absolutely dying at worst.

No ability to think clearly, often just trying to fool people by looking busy and waiting for the hangover to lift or for the working day to end to start drinking again. Dreading using the phone, dealing with people, just not getting anything worthwhile done.

I never thought of myself as much of a morning person before, but it really, naturally, is the most productive time of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cloneegirl

Wow just found this thread. Do anyone know if there is any AA meetings in Dublin 15? Do anyone here ever meet up? Thanks😊

Cloneegirl wrote: »
    Wow just found this thread. Do anyone know if there is any AA meetings in Dublin 15? Do anyone here ever meet up? Thanks��

You can check on the AA website, there is a great stickie of resources online and otherwise here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057658188 in the non-drinkers forum and this thread is worth reading from start to finish.

Don't know if people specifically from this thread/group have met up but plenty on here go to AA meetings.

What does high liver enzymes mean?

As was explained to me in my case high enzymes occur when the liver is under stress and struggling to cope for what ever reason, in my case it was alcohol.

Genrally it indicates the first sign of damage occurring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Near enough to 7 years off it and I now find my self saying things like 'If I drank I'd ...' rather than 'when I used to drink I'd..'

Subtle difference but I think my brain now sees me as a non drinker rather than an ex drinker.

No going back. Ever. Just wish I had done it sooner.:)

357 days without a drop.. I'm going through a bit of a mental health crisis at the moment, and I nearly drank (and smoked) again. It must be fight or flight kicking in, because I tend to think 'ah **** it what's the point'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

357 days without a drop.. I'm going through a bit of a mental health crisis at the moment, and I nearly drank (and smoked) again. It must be fight or flight kicking in, because I tend to think 'ah **** it what's the point'.

Sorry to hear that, have you someone you can talk to to help you through this time? Keep strong, there is a point in the long term you will feel better it will pass. Try and accept whatever support is out there for you and you will get through it. It can't be easy for you but you've done fantastic think about what you've already achieved :)

hubba wrote: »
    Near enough to 7 years off it and I now find my self saying things like 'If I drank I'd ...' rather than 'when I used to drink I'd..'

Subtle difference but I think my brain now sees me as a non drinker rather than an ex drinker.

No going back. Ever. Just wish I had done it sooner.:)

The main thing is you did it and it's never to late to stop drinking, my OH hasn't been sober a year yet although he's been struggling for years to get sober but his attitude would be similar. He realises he still has to work on himself and maintain his sobriety but he's getting on with life and not letting it label him. I know anyone can relapse but if people focus just on that it'll always be on their mind I think anyway. Just like someone with diabetes or the like it'll be there but with proper care of yourself you can move on and get on with life and the future. I think anyone wether they've had drink issues or not can dwell on the past and the 'what if's' too much and it can stop people from moving on and just enjoying life.

Sorry to hear that, have you someone you can talk to to help you through this time? Keep strong, there is a point in the long term you will feel better it will pass. Try and accept whatever support is out there for you and you will get through it. It can't be easy for you but you've done fantastic think about what you've already achieved :)

Thank you :) I've been recently challenging myself in ways I never have before, and its caused much anxiety. I think a positive attitude is so important in life.

Thank you :) I've been recently challenging myself in ways I never have before, and its caused much anxiety. I think a positive attitude is so important in life.

So true, anxiety can be a bitch. I think the majority of the population suffer from it at some stage it others and some people it can go on for a lot longer or sometimes they don't realise just how anxious they are because they're so used to the feeling. It can be such a drain but anxiety and other mental health issues are being talked about more openly nowadays, little things can make a big difference. It's always good to talk it out no matter how little or big the issue. You'd be amazed how open and honest people get when you share yourself. I'm not talking about AA meetings or anything just in life in general. So many people have similar stories about themselves or close family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

Long time lurker, seldom contributor, been in the shadows reading away. Said I wouldn’t post again until I was giving it a meaningful shot again. I’m 17 days sober now. Had a bad turn on a day session where I was abusive to strangers and had a melt down /break down at the end of the night, tears tears and more tears. I wrote myself notes and left them under my pillow for sober me to not forget.

In the start all I could think about was drink. I insisted on reminding myself about how bad it was that night to force myself to focus. I promised myself I would make 30 days and reflect then. Its easier as time goes by here. Tea and focus, focus and tea, early to bed and reading as much as possible.

drydub wrote: »
    Long time lurker, seldom contributor, been in the shadows reading away. Said I wouldn’t post again until I was giving it a meaningful shot again. I’m 17 days sober now. Had a bad turn on a day session where I was abusive to strangers and had a melt down /break down at the end of the night, tears tears and more tears. I wrote myself notes and left them under my pillow for sober me to not forget.

In the start all I could think about was drink. I insisted on reminding myself about how bad it was that night to force myself to focus. I promised myself I would make 30 days and reflect then. Its easier as time goes by here. Tea and focus, focus and tea, early to bed and reading as much as possible.

Good for you! Setting yourself goals can be great maybe rather than saying you give yourself 30 days say in day 30 you are going to treat yourself to something that doesn't involve drinking. A day out somewhere you enjoy, clothes or whatever something to make you feel good about yourself. Sometime setting a goal by a date can backfire and people can go wayhay I made it time to celebrate with a few drinks..so rather than ending up in that boat treating yourself and being kind to yourself is a much more positive reward. It can be anything, anything that will keep you occupied be it buying a book you've always been meaning to read, movie or lunch out in a cafe with friends or family. So many alternatives out there to focus on and that will keep you going. If not already maybe talk to a one one one addiction councillor or AA or the like, it can keep you focused too.

Paddy's day tomorrow...my first ever time staying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone :)

Good luck Sandor and everyone else facing their 1st (or 21st, lol) shot at staying sober.

I was in grief somewhat when I began my sober journey many years ago now---felt like a traitor somewhat tbh and I had a lot of self pity over it as I absolutely loved partying this time of year. But the truth is I was "partying" all year , so me and booze had to go our separate ways or the severe consequences I was already experiencing were only going to get worse.

Today I am grateful to be free of the fight with the bottle, and grateful I can be anywhere I choose as long as I keep right size when it comes to drink, because I treasure the gift I've been given and I never, ever want to go back to that hellish existence.

For those that are shaky:

Lots of places to hang online as well as AA meetings all over the country: http://www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie/information-on-aa/Find-a-Meeting

See you on the other side ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

There are times I wish I could drink. Not drinking isn't so much a decision I took, just something fate decided for me. My stomach just cannot handle alcohol. Even a sip of wine can make me feel sick very quickly. Though I never really got the obsession we as a species have with alcohol anyway, regardless of where you are in the world. But still, I do kind of lament that feeling of letting loose alcohol gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Thinking this morning about how many insane drunken sessions, lasting for days, "inspired" by Patrick's Day and how awful I felt during and afterwards. I'm thinking about being so drunk I remember nothing of Ireland's grand slam in 2009. Living alcohol free makes me happier and more content in myself than I've ever been, living a life that I want. I've been able to spend the entire morning playing with my two year old and we'll watch the match together later. I couldn't wish for anything better.

Day 76.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

scriba wrote: »
    Thinking this morning about how many insane drunken sessions, lasting for days, "inspired" by Patrick's Day and how awful I felt during and afterwards. I'm thinking about being so drunk I remember nothing of Ireland's grand slam in 2009. Living alcohol free makes me happier and more content in myself than I've ever been, living a life that I want. I've been able to spend the entire morning playing with my two year old and we'll watch the match together later. I couldn't wish for anything better.

Totally relate to this, booked in on Tuesday myself for a CT scan on my dodgy alcohol damaged pancreas. Sounds like you got out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

AmberGold wrote: »
    scriba wrote: »

Totally relate to this, booked in on Tuesday myself for a CT scan on my dodgy alcohol damaged pancreas. Sounds like you got out in time.

I wish you all the best for Tuesday AmberGold. Hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

No alcohol for me this weekend. I'm working a split shift today and tomorrow which suits me just fine. Think about all the sore heads/the regret that will creep in tomorrow morning and the money that will spent. I'm looking forward to waking up fresh on Monday morning and enjoying my day off!

It only dawned on me about 5/6 days ago that this is my first St Patrick's Day back in Ireland for a few years. It just proves that the 18 months I spent sober outside of Ireland was vital, temptation/invitations to drink were greatly reduced. I wish everyone well here fighting temptation today, it's trickier in Ireland.

But the other thing is I'm pushing 40, I don't know anyone really that is dying to head out and go drinking. Age and family put a stop to things, so the temptation of invitations and that whole side of things is gradually tapering off as well. Which I am very glad of.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

Up since 6 doing the last of my college work and spent the rest of the day getting flung on the couch with the gf and the dog.

Living the dream

54 Day's today, Actually enjoyed watching the rugby today, any other st Patrick's day I would probably have been drinking at 9 or 10 in the morning and drunk when the rugby was on.

I do find it starting to get a bit easier not drinking as time goes by. In saying that though there's time when things get to me and I start thinking to myself is it worth all the effort at all?

I'm still paying for my past mistakes and it really hurts, I wish I could get my family back together and it's just not going to happen. It's really hard to except, Time's when I have been thinking f##k this and getting hammered. I have stayed strong so far. I'm not going to try and fool myself cause I know if I go drinking it's going to be a mess.

63 Day's, I'm just up going to work in a few minutes but I'm just finding everything so hard. It's not that I feel like drinking or anything.

I was just hoping things would change when I stopped drinking. I'm still in love with my ex and miss her so much. I'm truly sorry for the things I done to her and was hoping she would see that and hoping we could work things out.

It's not as simple as just moving on and finding someone else. We have a child together and wanted us to be a family. She lives 200 yards away from me so it's not easy.

I know that she still has feelings for me and that's why it's hard to move on. Her family hates me because of what happened in the past and I don't know if she's just afraid of what they think or what?

I know from how she acts with me that she still has feelings for me, I was talking to her best friend who I'm also friends with and she has even said to me that she can see she still has feelings for me.

It's like she's trying to avoid me half the time cause she won't feel them or something? She'll go off the weekend for a drive to go shopping or something with the kids and her friends but never wants to do anything with me.

You guys will probably think this is all on my head or something but as I said her best friend has even said it to me. I don't want to be with anyone else as I still love her and to be honest I just get down and depressed and lonely in myself.

I even start to think about killing myself to stop hurting. I thought that when I stopped drinking things would start to work out and now I'm just f##ked up. Would be so easy to just drink myself stupid but I'm just going to bottle everything up and pretend that everything is fine as usual. I just wish I had the answers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

your paying for the mistakes now and drinking is one of them. stay strong chief id say if you have a chance to get back with the ex it will take a lot more than 63 days of sobriety to gain the trust back.

Advertisement