Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Research Board Alcohol Treatment Stats

Options
  • 03-07-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭

Published today, the Journal have an article on it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/alcohol-dependency-figures-3476368-Jul2017/

I did some quick back-of-a-beermat calculations.

7616 cases in 2015 where people presented themselves for treatment.

From the CSO website here, I took the 2011 stats as they seem to be latest detailed ones available, or certainly the easiest ones I could find:

http://www.cso.ie/multiquicktables/quickTables.aspx?id=cna15

There were 3,608,662 people aged 15 and over in Ireland in 2011. The report says most start drinking at 16 or before.

Roughly 7616 / 3,608,662 = 0.211%

Therefore 1 in 500 people in Ireland present themselves for alcohol treament every year.

Plenty of others treat themselves as well. No idea of figures internationally.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'd say we have a lot of functional alcoholics in this country that go under the radar.

Would be a horrible thing to have. At least some many people are getting treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They'd want to fix up their little shop a bit :

Minister for Health accuses order of ‘diverting’ money due to service users :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/simon-harris-calls-on-john-of-gods-to-repay-millions-in-top-ups-1.3141854

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I think people would be shocked at the absolute normality of people who spend a lot of time in treatment centres. People of every gender and age and from every walk of life.

I've spent time in there with accountants. Priests. A psychiatric nurse. An addiction therapist! And yes plenty of homeless people too, but very few people are born homeless, that's just where they've ended up.

It takes a lot of commitment to actually sign up for a programme, fair play to those who get help. It's really not easy. The regime in those places is very hard going. Kind of like the army, in terms of routine, 6am starts and lots of hard work, but also ripping your soul to shreds several times a day. In the nicest way possible, I'm in no way knocking them, it works! But it's still hard to be the one doing it.

And yes in my experience most people would start drinking/using in their early teens, as young as 9 or 10 sometimes. Not my own experience but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How much money was spent on this report to tell us what we already know, Irish people have a very unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭stimpson

_Brian wrote: »
    How much money was spent on this report to tell us what we already know, some Irish people have a very unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How much money was spent on this report to tell us what we already know, Irish people have a very unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

It's not an Irish problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Abnormal drinking has been normalised in Ireland..

While I don't think this report necessarily changes people's views it can be used to challenge them...

Advertisement