Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you feel about men crying?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Wouldn't like it if a guy never cried, like at the death of someone close or something. Some emotion is good.
    But I can't stand sensitive men either. The guy needs to be strong and masculine and make you feel protected.

From what? bears?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Endearing and cute tbh :)

]The guy needs to be strong and masculine and make you feel protected.

Every woman needs to be able to protect themselves and shouldn't need a man to do it for them because the man won't always be there to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Every woman needs to be able to protect themselves and shouldn't need a man to do it for them because the man won't always be there to do it.

lol I just meant if there was a stressful situation I wouldn't like a guy to break down and start crying :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

lol I just meant if there was a stressful situation I wouldn't like a guy to break down and start crying :P

Why not? Or do you feel that women shouldn't break down and start crying in a stressful situation too?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Why not? Or do you feel that women shouldn't break down and start crying in a stressful situation too?

Read my previous posts

Read my previous posts

You didn't refer to women in the slightest, just sensitive men. It just seems somewhat hypocritical to me

so anything that might happen its up to a man to deal with?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

But crying releases hormones that help relieve stress. It's a good thing to do!

krudler wrote: »
    so anything that might happen its up to a man to deal with?

No, that's not what I said at all. I don't understand how you don't get what I mean? It's fairly simple: I don't like men who cry over little things. That's my opinion on this thread's topic.

• Advertisement

No, that's not what I said at all. I don't understand how you don't get what I mean? It's fairly simple: I don't like men who cry over little things. That's my opinion on this thread's topic.

Do you cry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Do you cry?

No matter how I say this it will sound harsh but I'm just asking - what has that got to do with the topic of this thread? It's not if we cry, it's what we think of men crying, they might not influence each other at all.

Do you cry?

I see what you're getting at, but that doesn't change my opinion - I just don't like seeing men cry - the same way some men don't like seeing girls cry. Sorry if I offended you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Read my previous posts

I have :) and I guess where I'm coming from is e.g. if you'd a male friend or colleague who due to a stressful situation would you be uncomfortable if they ended up in tears due to it around you?

Read my previous posts

I have :) and I guess where I'm coming from is e.g. if you'd a male friend or colleague who due to a stressful situation would you be uncomfortable if they ended up in tears due to it around you?

Edit, I've just seen your post above, answers my question.

Stheno wrote: »

Yes of course. I hate seeing people upset! It makes me feel upset for them.
    (Sorry OP I am completely taking over this thread. I'll stop now).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

You didn't refer to women in the slightest, just sensitive men. It just seems somewhat hypocritical to me

Why? The thread is about dudes crying. People don't have to sit around and hold hands and talk about how wonderful and awesome it is. Some people can not like, otherwise....well, see the bit about all sitting round and holding hands.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think it's werid for guys to cry over small things. Deaths etc is fine but that's it. I can well imagine the abuse I'd give a mate if we went to the cinema and he started crying at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sibylla

For some people crying is a difficult thing. For men it's more complicated they do not want to be seen as weak, It can make some women uncomfortable. I think it's natural, everyone cries. I would prefer a man who expressed himself like that rather than showing his emotions through violence or anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

krudler wrote: »
    I remember the day my grandmother died,

my grandad, was devastated. It was the first time I'd ever seen him cry and it was a huge thing to see this man who I'd always seen as unshakeable completely ruined by his wife not being around anymore.
    Oh I remember my Dad crying one day a couple of days or maybe weeks after my Mum had died. I was so shocked and upset for him. I went and held his hand and he apologised for crying. He had me in floods in a moment...
    I think it's werid for guys to cry over small things. Deaths etc is fine but that's it. I can well imagine the abuse I'd give a mate if we went to the cinema and he started crying at the end.

I'm a total crybaby. I'll cry at weddings, funerals etc but also at movies and even reading books. I have to sneakily wipe the tears away or my wife slags me for it (though I think she kinda likes it really). Hell, I even started tearing up at a CPR course when the instructor was talking about 'what matters is that you do your best'...

These days I have no problem with being seen to cry. Probably a combination of changed attitudes and my own maturity.

Interestingly, my 10 year-old son will cry if hurt at home but absolutely will not when out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I don't cry over small things. If I need to have a good cry I watch a stupid rom com that I know will make me cry and get rid of it that way. I'm a very emotional person, but I like to filter it a bit!

I have no problem with a man crying, as long as it's not over something stupid, like a broken nail. If it's something of emotional importance, or as a result of physical pain, then that at least makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

--LOS-- wrote: »
    OP it seems like you cry weirdly infrequently!

I would hate for any guy to feel like they couldn't cry or come to me with a problem but I knew someone and it became a joke how often they cried and very publicly, really got on my nerves. Sure it's not very healthy to keep stuff bottled up to yourself but there comes a point when the line has definitely been crossed with sharing your problems and offloading them on others to make yourself feel better. I really hate crying in front of people and would have made quite an effort to avoid people that I knew would talk about my grandmother after she died or leave the room if they did and avoid talking about it myself. If I was on my own upset about it and someone came into the room I would have to turn around and pretend to be doing something, silly but it's such an irish thing.

LOL WHAT I am confused :confused: i cry weirdly infrequently?
    Are you mistaking the copy and pastes from the article as my own comments?
    I assure you i cry when needed and i dont give a toss who sees me.If they dont like it move along.
    I think it is absolutely awful if men cant feel like they can just let it all out if they really need to,and there would be a lot of healthier less aggressive men or depressed if they would let it out.

It isnt an Irish thing its a man thing every man in world is programmed to not show the softer side and to tear up.Even though we all know they want to.
    Some women even are afraid to show their emotions.
    If you dont cry you will feel like bursting.

Think about it women cry over the smallest thing because something else underlying so should men be able to without people thinking its weird.
    Doesnt have to be small thing they are crying over,could be something very big or is big to them even though small to you.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I don't have any problem with it, it's completely natural to cry, and it's completely unnatural to bottle things up. So many young men fall into depression because things just build up on them, because they're expected to deal with things on their own, and that's not a nice place to be.

We all feel things in the same way, we all feel hurt, we all feel pain, we all feel heartbreak and loss - regardless of gender. Why should men be expected to deal with those emotions any differently to women?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

I think it's healthy to have a good cry. I absolutely despise the thinking that men shouldn't be allowed to express their emotions and should instead bottle up all feeling for fear of being perceived as weak and unmanly. I cannot express how much I hate that thinking, it infuriates me to the nth degree. Personally I think it takes strength to know yourself and to honestly open up and admit how a situation makes you feel.

Don Draper cries, thats all the reasoning I need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

G86 wrote: »
    We all feel things in the same way, we all feel hurt, we all feel pain, we all feel heartbreak and loss - regardless of gender. Why should men be expected to deal with those emotions any differently to women?

Firstly, I don't think we all feel things the same way. For death, heartbreak, etc, I perfectly understand the need to cry and agree it's completely healthy and no one should be ridiculed for showing emotions. However, over arguements, watching movies, hearing someone's sad story or news item on the radio...not everyone feels those things the same way. Many people just don't feel sad enough to cry.

I personally just don't like it when I see men cry over something I think is trivial. I used to know this guy who would weep if someone voiced a strong opinion to him. It was crazy, and totally manipulative. I hate it when girls do it and I hate it when guys do it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I very rarely used to cry before I became a father. I could never understand how people got so involved in a film that they could cry over the events or characters in them. Now, pretty much anything even remotely related to my kids has the power to make me well up - pride, anger, fear, disappointment, elation are all emotions I didn't really understand in my 20s. I cried a bit at Toy Story 3, for example. Quite a bit, truth be told but there's no way I can explain exactly why.

Malari wrote: »
    Firstly, I don't think we all feel things the same way. For death, heartbreak, etc, I perfectly understand the need to cry and agree it's completely healthy and no one should be ridiculed for showing emotions. However, over arguements, watching movies, hearing someone's sad story or news item on the radio...not everyone feels those things the same way. Many people just don't feel sad enough to cry.

I personally just don't like it when I see men cry over something I think is trivial. I used to know this guy who would weep if someone voiced a strong opinion to him. It was crazy, and totally manipulative. I hate it when girls do it and I hate it when guys do it.

The thing is,it may look like something trivial to you but whole other reason and trivial just set him off.So think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

caseyann wrote: »
    The thing is,it may look like something trivial to you but whole other reason and trivial just set him off.So think about it.

I don't need to think about it. Ovbiously it's not trivial to him, but as long as I consider it to be trivial then I don't like to see him cry. The thread asked "how you feel" and that's how I feel when I see someone cry over a movie or whatever. I don't like it.

Advertisement