Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theory Test Failure without even sitting the exam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

28064212 wrote: »
    Lol, you mean aside from the billions that has been invested in our road infrastructure?

That we now found out was done on credit and we now have to all pay for?

With how many dozens of times the amount of travelling that goes on?

With the price of fuel very little unnessary journeys being taken these days you don't see to many going for sunday spins anymore

No, they're not. The theory test is done before any driving takes place whatsoever

Soon as the Theory test is done you have your Provisional license No? I'm thinking of the poor kids that find it hard to study for any kind of an exam but yet are very bright kids in other ways

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Funfair wrote: »
    That we now found out was done on credit and we now have to all pay for?
    Don't know where you've pulled that out of
    With the price of fuel very little unnessary journeys being taken these days you don't see to many going for sunday spins anymore
    Lol, do you really want to compare traffic levels today to 20 years ago?
    Soon as the Theory test is done you have your Provisional license No? I'm thinking of the poor kids that find it hard to study for any kind of an exam but yet are very bright kids in other ways
    Ehhh.... exactly :confused: Done before any driving. How is that relevant to "a person who can actually drive"?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

alan1990 wrote: »
    I'll gladly explain it! When you come on here with an attitude giving out about how the DTT wouldn't let you change your details on the day and you couldn't do it before hand because you booked the test less than the minimum of 7 days advance notice needed, yet a quick look on the DTT website shows you can change it up to 3 complete working days before hand of course I'm going to be delighted! It will show you to check it properly in future!!

Now, your go!! :D

We were all apprentices before working for peanuts such is life but when you reach my age, €30 odd yo yo's don't bother you is all, (Not loaded but with kids you get used to handing out money for nothing) you'll be in that situation some day trust me!!

If you came on here saying... "listen lads, just a heads up, if you make a mistake filling in the form for the theory test make sure you get it sorted before hand because they can't do it on the day and I'm after getting stung" people would be a lot more sympethetic towards you!!

Yeah if I done that we wouldn't have 5 pages of this tripe to give out about and we'd all be bored talking about the weather etc...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

We were all apprentices before working for peanuts such is life but when you reach my age, €30 odd yo yo's don't bother you is all, (Not loaded but with kids you get used to handing out money for nothing) you'll be in that situation some day trust me!!
    When I said that I was actually on your side saying how I realise that loosing the €30 odd euro is a kick in the nuts, for me I pay 2 grand a year car insurance, 600 quid tax, €40 a week on diesel, thats before I give anything towards rent, electricity, food, a night out with the girlfriend! Every €30 counts and I know what its like to be handing out money for this that and the next!!

Yeah if I done that we wouldn't have 5 pages of this tripe to give out about and we'd all be bored talking about the weather etc...:D
    Yeah but atleast we'd know tomorrows forecast!

Theres no point argueing anymore, we're never going to agree on this!

Don't know where you've pulled that out of

Can you see how or where they spent 60 Billion anywhere else other then the roads

Lol, do you really want to compare traffic levels today to 20 years ago?
    But didn't you just say the road network is upgraded to take all this extra traffic?

Ehhh.... exactly :confused: Done before any driving. How is that relevant to "a person who can actually drive"?

Ok I'll try explain... Some smart school kid who knows how to study gets a license but hasn't a clue how to drive as opposed to a bright kid who gets a headace even mentioning the word study but has being thought to drive by his Uncle/Father who ever.. (P.S. this does not effect me or my son in any way) but I know a few kids around my area who failed the theory test once or twice and said feck that never again.. even though they know how to drive.

• Advertisement

Can you see how or where they spent 60 Billion anywhere else other then the roads
    What the hell are you talking about? The financing of roads in this country is as transparent as it can be. There are budgets and accounts published every year. Billions of euro have been brought in through motoring taxes. Billions of euro have been spend on our infrastructure. How is this confusing you?
    But didn't you just say the road network is upgraded to take all this extra traffic?
    YES!!!! That is the ****ing point!
    Ok I'll try explain... Some smart school kid who knows how to study gets a license but hasn't a clue how to drive as opposed to a bright kid who gets a headace even mentioning the word study but has being thought to drive by his Uncle/Father who ever.. (P.S. this does not effect me or my son in any way) but I know a few kids around my area who failed the theory test once or twice and said feck that never again.. even though they know how to drive.
    If they can't demonstrate a knowledge of the rules of the road, they shouldn't be on the road. Simple. Incidentally, where did this hypothetical kid learn to drive with his uncle/father, since it's (rightly) illegal for him to be driving on the road?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Eoin wrote: »
    The same good old days when it was perfectly legal to drive on the road unsupervised without having to demonstrate any sort of knowledge of the ROTR whatsoever?

No, the later good old days when we had reasonable testing at a reasonable price.
    Have they removed the theory test from the main exam itself, or just made learner drivers demonstrate at least some sort of competence before they can control a ton of moving metal?

They've made two tests out of one so as to charge twice over.
    And VRT is not illegal - please don't start that up here. There's a massive thread in the motors forum for that whole can of worms; you'll see that not one person has been able to back that up with any reputable links.

Double taxation in a single market. Go on, I await your justification for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No, the later good old days when we had reasonable testing at a reasonable price.

They've made two tests out of one so as to charge twice over.

Has the price of the Theory test increased a good bit since it was introduced?

Or is your problem that you must sit a test before getting a learners permit?
    Double taxation in a single market. Go on, I await your justification for that.

I don't need to justify it -again, this isn't the thread for it . In the thread in the motors forum where it is the place for it, I have post a link to the EU website that states that VRT is not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Has the price of the Theory test increased a good bit since it was introduced?

Or is your problem that you must sit a test before getting a learners permit?

What part of one test became two, leading to double charging are you not understanding?
    I don't need to justify it -again, this isn't the thread for it . In the thread in the motors forum where it is the place for it, I have post a link to the EU website that states that VRT is not illegal.

Can't justify it, more like. Fact is that double taxation within a single market makes a lie of either the taxation or the market.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Can't justify it, more like. Fact is that double taxation within a single market makes a lie of either the taxation or the market.

wow, your severely musinformed

• Advertisement

What part of one test became two, leading to double charging are you not understanding?.

Thank you, I understand that there are now two tests.

I don't have a problem with that because I think it was absolute lunacy that it was perfectly legal for someone to drive on their own without ever having demonstrated whatsoever that they had any inkling of the rules of the road.

To say that they were the good old days is rather short-sighted.

I am pretty sure that it costs a hell of a lot more money to get your full license in other countries where one must prove your ability to drive.

For the last time, this is not the thread for it. Look at the thread that IS the thread for it, and you'll see a link that I posted.

Edit - here's the link; keep the VRT stuff to that thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

some load of **** down 36Euro over a simple/Fixable mistake,joke.

Yes its awful stupid and yes id agree its totally fixable.....just not on the day of the exam

The OP should have contacted them to get the issue resolved as soon as he noticed, instead he incorrectly asumed it wasnt a big deal.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Yes its awful stupid and yes id agree its totally fixable.....just not on the day of the exam

The OP should have contacted them to get the issue resolved as soon as he noticed, instead he incorrectly asumed it wasnt a big deal.

The OP didn't actually notice it till the day before the exam when the youngfella decided to fill out his driving licence form in case he passed the test... "Jesus I put the wrong number on the theory test form I thought" what happened next is on here....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Simple mistake, charging you the fee is bad form

Like you said in a previous post this type of behaviour is normal in a certain sector of Irish employment

The OP didn't actually notice it till the day before the exam when the youngfella decided to fill out his driving licence form in case he passed the test... "Jesus I put the wrong number on the theory test form I thought" what happened next is on here....
    So now it's gone from noticing it straight away, 6 days before the exam, to the day before the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

You fecked up ... it happens .. take the charge on the chin and move on.
    If nothing else it will help you pay attention to detail

Rules are rules, we all abide by them and also have to live by them ...

Driver testing in Ireland has had to move on from the slapdash, get in your car and just drive attitude into something where there is much more structure ..we will no doubt see even more changes in the months/years to come ... if this helps reduce driver deaths and makes it safer on the road for all of us then it has to be good.

So now it's gone from noticing it straight away, 6 days before the exam, to the day before the exam?

read the posts before trying to be sarcastic please...

What I said was.."I Booked 6 days before" which was a Tuesday for an exam the following Monday , never said I noticed straight away because I didn't..

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    You fecked up ... it happens .. take the charge on the chin and move on.
    If nothing else it will help you pay attention to detail

Rules are rules, we all abide by them and also have to live by them ...

Driver testing in Ireland has had to move on from the slapdash, get in your car and just drive attitude into something where there is much more structure ..we will no doubt see even more changes in the months/years to come ... if this helps reduce driver deaths and makes it safer on the road for all of us then it has to be good.

Jackie, shouldn't you be in the Dail at 12.20 on a Wednesday morning instead of blowing the Government's trumpet on here :)

read the posts before trying to be sarcastic please...

What I said was.."I Booked 6 days before" which was a Tuesday for an exam the following Monday , never said I noticed straight away because I didn't..
    So you dragged out the thread to 80+ posts arguing that it was actually 7 days, not 5 or 3, when all you had to say was you only noticed it the day before? Riiiiiiight....

So you dragged out the thread to 80+ posts arguing that it was actually 7 days, not 5 or 3, when all you had to say was you only noticed it the day before? Riiiiiiight....

Aye!! I like the drama..:)

• Advertisement

Ugh, enough.

This is continuing to go nowhere, and just serving to make people more irate.

Opening the thread again, please keep it civil and on-topic.

No point in leaving out the happy ending :)

Below is the e-mail I received from them this morning...

Dear Funfair
    Thank you for your email, regarding the Driver Theory Test you book for your son under the incorrect PPS number.

Further to your query I can confirm as a gesture of goodwill we will refund the fee for the test your son was unable to take on the 24 January, at our Waterford test centre, In order for me to assist you, please forward me the name of the payee and address you want the cheque sending to, as this test has already passed so we are only able to refund you by cheque.

Once I receive this information I we be able to issue a refund for the test.

Regards

Jane Bull| **Candidate Cares Representative**

Prometric Ireland
    Regional Contact Centre
    PO Box 788
    Togher
    Co Cork
    1890 606 406 **PHONE**
    1890 606 906 **FAX**
    ---End Quote---

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Excellent news, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Dear Funfair
    Thank you for your email, regarding the Driver Theory Test you book for your son under the incorrect PPS number.

Further to your query I can confirm as a gesture of goodwill we will refund the fee for the test your son was unable to take on the 24 January, at our Waterford test centre, In order for me to assist you, please forward me the name of the payee and address you want the cheque sending to, as this test has already passed so we are only able to refund you by cheque.

Regards

Prometric Ireland
    Regional Contact Centre
    PO Box 788
    Togher
    Co Cork
    1890 606 406 **PHONE**
    1890 606 906 **FAX**
    ---End Quote---

I put a word in for you in the Dail yestreday as part of the finance bill :D

Glad it had a happy ending and much kudos to prometric for helping you

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    I put a word in for you in the Dail yestreday as part of the finance bill :D

Glad it had a happy ending and much kudos to prometric for helping you

Thanks Robxxx7 and fair play to you for taking my post about Jackie Healy Rae the way it was ment to be as a JOKE!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

He who screams the loudest. :rolleyes:

Dear Funfair

Regards

Prometric Ireland
    Regional Contact Centre
    PO Box 788
    Togher
    Co Cork
    1890 606 406 **PHONE**
    1890 606 906 **FAX**
    ---End Quote---

It was only when I threatened to have 6 pages of crap wrote about it on the here that they caved in :D

More good News!! the little bolloix Passed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I went in to do this test today (completed it in under four minutes, wtf?).

In the 20 minutes I was there, no fewer than THREE idiots were turned away.

First tracksuited clown had his girlfriend, a toddler, baby and buggy in tow, was ENRAGED that he wasnt allowed do the test even though he'd missed his slot. By twenty minutes.
    Next guy had no photographs with him. What he lacked in photgraphs, he made up in obnoxiousness. Cue more righteous indignation.
    Next guy must have been doing another category test, he had his full licence with him. Only problem was, it was missing the entire back of the plastic laminate. The photo on the licence was affixed to the back with sellotape. I kid you not. Apparently the DTT were "unbelievable" for expecting him to have a licence in reasonable condition.

If these clowns cannot even organise themselves to show up with two photographs and some ID at a given time, then they have no business being anywhere near a car.

Advertisement