Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theory Test Failure without even sitting the exam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Funfair wrote: »
    No I thought I would be dealing with a person and not a machine... Fair enough don't allow the test but why take the payment?

Its not the 30 odd quid its the principle of the matter..
    No-one suggested dealing with a machine, why didn't you ring them?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Kensington wrote: »
    If you think losing €36 over something entirely your own fault due to it being entirely your own mistake is bad, then for god's sake don't make a mistake if you ever go to book a Ryanair or Aer Lingus flight, you won't be let fly. And if you think losing €36 over making a mistake when booking is bad, it'll be pocket change compared to what they'd charge to change your flight booking...

Some day.. I'd love a go off that O'Leary cnut :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Aln_S wrote: »
    Good old Motors Forum. Where would you be without the high horse replies and mods thanking them!

FFS people... it's only a minor mistake in a PPS number. Where has common sense gone to?

So what's the cut off for these "minor" mistakes?

It's a simple thing, either do it properly or deal with the consequences!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Similar thing happened to my brother. Booked test but used my mother's PPS number. Rang them the day before the test (he only noticed it then :rolleyes:) and they amended it.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    Similar thing happened to my brother. Booked test but used my mother's PPS number. Rang them the day before the test (he only noticed it then :rolleyes:) and they amended it.

You booked by phone then ? because the lady told me when you book online you can't ammend and it was all the same if I rang.

I think they use some International web company that handles the online bookings..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The reason they didn't refund the money was because the appointment slot could not have been rebooked and they lost out on money because of it.

January wrote: »
    The reason they didn't refund the money was because the appointment slot could not have been rebooked and they lost out on money because of it.

How? This is not concert tickets we're talking about, this is something you have to have, you don't sell today you sell tomorrow, you fail today you have to sit again so they don't lose money that way ever..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

You can't make changes with online bookings within 7 days of your test.. as I booked it last Tuesday that left 6 days so I said no point in contacting them online,.
    Hi,

Sorry, that is incorrect, from Prometric _ New Appointment page

Cancellation/Reschedule Policy

You must cancel or reschedule a booking no later than 3 complete business days prior to the appointment date. An example of this is a booking on a Friday, you would need to contact us by the previous Monday. This can be done online or by contacting our Contact Centre on 1890 606 106 (Lo-call rate) they are open Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.

It was only necessary to cancel immediately, then re-book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

You must cancel or reschedule a booking no later than 3 complete business days prior to the appointment date. An example of this is a booking on a Friday, you would need to contact us by the previous Monday. This can be done online or by contacting our Contact Centre on 1890 606 106 (Lo-call rate) they are open Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.

Haha fu*kin delighted!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

No I thought I would be dealing with a person and not a machine... Fair enough don't allow the test but why take the payment?

Its not the 30 odd quid its the principle of the matter..

Actually, it is the 30 odd quid. That's what the state is all about - taxing the sh!t out of you at every twist and turn.

Remember when roads were free to drive on? When they didn't change speed limits every 100 yards along them with a cop hiding behind a hedge with a speed gun to catch you out? Remember when the theory test was PART of the practical test and not a separate thing you had to shell out separately for?

Those were the halcyon days before the government decided that taxing motorists was a great oul wheeze altogether.

All those on-the-spot fines (where's the appeal or justice in threatening to punish someone MORE for the same offence if they have the audacity to appeal the decision of some Garda?) are a handy earner for the state, along with motor tax, the illegal VRT, some of the highest fuel duty in Europe, etc.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. But you must understand when it comes to anything to do with motoring, the state has it's hand in your pocket for as much as it can get as often as it can get away with.

This scenario is no different. Sure they could've changed the PPS no. But then they wouldn't get the extra 36 yos from poor muggins having to apply all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Sounds like a "computer says no" situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

You booked by phone then ? because the lady told me when you book online you can't ammend and it was all the same if I rang.

I think they use some International web company that handles the online bookings..

He booked it via that prometric website. Tbh I only remember the whole thing because of the panic he had over trying to change it. When he tried to amend it online and couldn't he nearly lost the plot. First he rang the testing centre (Cork county) who told him it wasn't anything to do with them, they just get forwarded the info, so they told him to ring another number. Now as I said he only did this the day before the test, less than 24 hours to the test, and they just amended it for him. There was no canceling and rebooking or anything like that.

Those testing centres are like cattle marts regardless, I work near the one in Penrose Wharf and there is constantly people in and out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Actually, it is the 30 odd quid. That's what the state is all about - taxing the sh!t out of you at every twist and turn.

Remember when roads were free to drive on? When they didn't change speed limits every 100 yards along them with a cop hiding behind a hedge with a speed gun to catch you out? Remember when the theory test was PART of the practical test and not a separate thing you had to shell out separately for?

Those were the halcyon days before the government decided that taxing motorists was a great oul wheeze altogether.

All those on-the-spot fines (where's the appeal or justice in threatening to punish someone MORE for the same offence if they have the audacity to appeal the decision of some Garda?) are a handy earner for the state, along with motor tax, the illegal VRT, some of the highest fuel duty in Europe, etc.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant. But you must understand when it comes to anything to do with motoring, the state has it's hand in your pocket for as much as it can get as often as it can get away with.

This scenario is no different. Sure they could've changed the PPS no. But then they wouldn't get the extra 36 yos from poor muggins having to apply all over again.

The same good old days when it was perfectly legal to drive on the road unsupervised without having to demonstrate any sort of knowledge of the ROTR whatsoever?

Have they removed the theory test from the main exam itself, or just made learner drivers demonstrate at least some sort of competence before they can control a ton of moving metal?

And VRT is not illegal - please don't start that up here. There's a massive thread in the motors forum for that whole can of worms; you'll see that not one person has been able to back that up with any reputable links.

BanzaiBk wrote: »
    He booked it via that prometric website. Tbh I only remember the whole thing because of the panic he had over trying to change it. When he tried to amend it online and couldn't he nearly lost the plot. First he rang the testing centre (Cork county) who told him it wasn't anything to do with them, they just get forwarded the info, so they told him to ring another number. Now as I said he only did this the day before the test, less than 24 hours to the test, and they just amended it for him. There was no canceling and rebooking or anything like that.

Those testing centres are like cattle marts regardless, I work near the one in Penrose Wharf and there is constantly people in and out of the place.

Thanks Banzaibk, I noticed you couldn't change by the website too and took it because the Prometric company was an International testing website, I took it you can't actually contact them. I didn't know they had a phone service untill it was pointed out to me yesterday.

Delighted for your brother and hope he passed the test :)

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

They actually changed the 5 to a 3 only yesterday (I'm serious) NO joke!! I know this sounds retarded but that read 5 full working days yesterday.

They forgot to change the line under it though where it says.."An example of this is a booking on a Friday, you would need to contact us by the previous Monday" which is 5 days...

alan1990 wrote: »
    Haha fu*kin delighted!! :D

Wow!! Another Civil Servant happy to see the working man being screwed for more cash, so he can keep his cushy job..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

OP, how old is your son that he could not have booked this himself, thus ruling out the possibility that the wrong PPS number would be entered?

17 with no Credit card...

Cavehill red, Excellent Post that should be in the running for Post of the Day..

Wow!! Another Civil Servant happy to see the working man being screwed for more cash, so he can keep his cushy job..:rolleyes:

Actually no your wrong again! A 20 year old aircraft mechanic apprentice with feck all money so for me loosing the 30 odd quid wood be really felt, I'm certainly no cival servent!! But I do realise that coming on hear bitching about this won't sort out your problem!!

First you say you can't change it within 7 days
    You can't make changes with online bookings within 7 days of your test. as I booked it last Tuesday that left 6 days so I said no point in contacting them online, I told the son just explain to the person and show him how I made the mistake by bringing the drugs payment scheme card ( credit card type) I got the number off.. where it had his name on it and the Wife's number in bold (for some reason)but his number was in smaller font on the end of the card that looked like a serial number rather then a pps number.

Then you say
    They actually changed the 5 to a 3 only yesterday (I'm serious) NO joke!! I know this sounds retarded but that read 5 full working days yesterday.

Either way, if it was a 5 or a 3 yesterday, it shows you made no effort to follow up on your mistake and check how long before the test you are entitled to cancel it, as you thought it was a 7!!

I'm sorry but your attitude stinks, if someone disagrees with your view on the situation you automatically think cival service cúnt out to get the poor working man again!! You filled in the form wrong. You didn't bother to do anything about fixing it. Deal with it!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

What if you got one digit wrong in your pps by mistake and never noticed till the day of the test? Would they shaft you then too?. (Pr_cks like that make my blood boil):mad: Cha Ching! That's what it's all about. Customer service my arse. Totally agree with OP. Hope your lad does well in the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

They forgot to change the line under it though where it says.."An example of this is a booking on a Friday, you would need to contact us by the previous Monday" which is 5 days...

The website says

Monday to Friday is 3 complete days, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Monday and Friday are not counted as they are only partial days.

taken from confirmation e-mail....

RESCHEDULE / CANCEL POLICY
    If you would like to re-arrange or cancel your test please visit www.theorytest.ie or call 1890 606 106 at least 5 full working days before the date of your appointment or you will lose your fee. For example, to cancel a test booked for a Friday you must inform us on the previous Monday

which is a week as Sat + Sunday is not counted....

Can somebody that done the test lately please check there confirmation e-mail to confirm I'm not making this up thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What if you got one digit wrong in your pps by mistake and never noticed till the day of the test? Would they shaft you then too?. (Pr_cks like that make my blood boil):mad: Cha Ching! That's what it's all about. Customer service my arse. Totally agree with OP. Hope your lad does well in the test

That's pretty much what happened here, so yes - you wouldn't be able to do your test. For all you know, the staff there might have absolutely no ability to amend the PPSN or issue a refund. They're not the ones who messed up. If you turn up for a flight with the wrong name on the ticket, you've only yourself to blame if you're not allowed on the plane.
    Cavehill red, Excellent Post that should be in the running for Post of the Day..

Seriously? You think it was great when learner drivers could drive on their own without having demonstrated any sort of knowledge of the ROTR? I think your mistake is clouding your judgement slightly.

Actually no your wrong again! A 20 year old aircraft mechanic apprentice with feck all money so for me loosing the 30 odd quid wood be really felt.

God help ya!!

So your delighted for the government to be getting an extra few bob :rolleyes:

Eoin wrote: »
    Seriously? You think it was great when learner drivers could drive on their own without having demonstrated any sort of knowledge of the ROTR? I think your mistake is clouding your judgement slightly.

Eoin I see where you’re coming from but has all these extra revenue incentive’s really done anything for road safety.. I'm not so sure, maybe it’s just me but there seems to be as many accidents these days as there was 20 years ago. A person who shows they are good a studying for an exam technically is deemed to be a better driver then a person who can actually drive and may be not so good academically.

God help ya!!

So your delighted for the government to be getting an extra few bob :rolleyes:

Why god help me?? Could you explain that please?

Oh yeah, I get a real thrill off giving the government extra money! As was said numerous times before (but you seem to have ignored and not replied or thanked any of the posts) the person on the day more than likely could do nothing to change the PPS number!
    If you booked an airline ticket under the wrong name would they change it on the day??

Maybe this is just a money making scheme but they wouldn't make any money off it if people filled in the forms correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Eoin I see where you’re coming from but has all these extra revenue incentive’s really done anything for road safety..
    Lol, you mean aside from the billions that has been invested in our road infrastructure?
    I'm not so sure, maybe it’s just me but there seems to be as many accidents these days as there was 20 years ago.
    With how many dozens of times the amount of travelling that goes on?
    A person who shows they are good a studying for an exam technically is deemed to be a better driver then a person who can actually drive and may be not so good academically.
    No, they're not. The theory test is done before any driving takes place whatsoever

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Why god help me?? Could you explain that please?

I will when you explain your "Haha fu*kin delighted!!" quote!!

Your Mother ever tell you if you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all!!

• Advertisement

I will when you explain your "Haha fu*kin delighted!!" quote!!

Your Mother ever tell you if you have nothing good to say don't say anything at all!!

I'll gladly explain it! When you come on here with an attitude giving out about how the DTT wouldn't let you change your details on the day and you couldn't do it before hand because you booked the test less than the minimum of 7 days advance notice needed, yet a quick look on the DTT website shows you can change it up to 3 complete working days before hand of course I'm going to be delighted! It will show you to check it properly in future!!

Now, your go!! :D

If you came on here saying... "listen lads, just a heads up, if you make a mistake filling in the form for the theory test make sure you get it sorted before hand because they can't do it on the day and I'm after getting stung" people would be a lot more sympethetic towards you!!

Advertisement