Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Theory Test Failure without even sitting the exam

Options
  • 24-01-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

I booked my son in for a theory Test last week online with Prometric for today at 2pm. After booking I noticed I made a mistake with his PPS number, put in my wife’s number instead of my son. No problem I thought, my son can tell them before he sits the exam and give them the correct PPS number.

After spending the last few weeks studying and as nervous as hell he goes to the test centre at 1.40pm and explained that his oul fella made a mistake with his PPS number and proceeded to give them the correct number but NO this is like crime of the Century his number can’t be changed and the test is an automatic FAIL. The lady said it’s the same as arriving at the Driving test centre without your L Plates :confused:

So he lost his €36.30 and was not allowed to sit the test I had to reschedule another test for Saturday what a load of bull Sh*T
    This is after leaving a bad taste in my mouth how can they justify taking €36.30 for a service they didn’t provide over a simple error?

Anyone any ideas about how to claim the money back or do I have to take this crap red tape on the chin?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Funfair wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas about how to claim the money back or do I have to take this crap red tape on the chin?

i dont think its crap red tape to be honest. its a simple human mistake, but unfortunely (sp) in this case. one that will cost you.

if i did indeed turn up for a driving test with no L plates, i cant simply shoot down to the motor factors and pick up a set during the test, its a fail full stop.

government proceedure and its there to protect personal data and personal identity and cannot be avoided imho.

we learn from mistakes and all that......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You're blaming them for your own mistake?

Once you realised that you had entered the wrong PPS number, why did you not contact them and inform them of your error? This would have saved all the hassle, as you could have re-applied right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It's your fault OP, can't blame them for your error.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Aln_S

Good old Motors Forum. Where would you be without the high horse replies and mods thanking them!

FFS people... it's only a minor mistake in a PPS number. Where has common sense gone to?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Sorry I asked... forgot boards is full of useless civil servants who justify this sort of crap… If you had a real job you might understand how customer service should work..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

That's tough for the young lad. Hope he can still be prepared for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Like Father like son?

If your kid went in with an attitude like you're displaying in your last post then there was going to be only one outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Aln_S wrote: »
    Good old Motors Forum. Where would you be without the high horse replies and mods thanking them!

FFS people... it's only a minor mistake in a PPS number. Where has common sense gone to?

Its the lack of common sense on behalf of the OP that created the situation, anyone with some would have contacted the theory test crowd and informed them of the mistake and they would have taken care of it then.
    Sorry I asked... forgot boards is full of useless civil servants who justify this sort of crap… If you had a real job you might understand how customer service should work..

How can you expect any customer service when you never rang them to inform them of the mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

some load of **** down 36Euro over a simple/Fixable mistake,joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

pretty crappy thing to happen alright but trying to explain on the day seems to have been a bit late to change it why not have rang them after it happened or emailed to sort it out ??

• Advertisement

davehey79 wrote: »
    pretty crappy thing to happen alright but trying to explain on the day seems to have been a bit late to change it why not have rang them after it happened or emailed to sort it out ??

yeah good point,but for **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭davehey79

i know but not really the fella/lady in the test centres fault he/she probly doesnt have the means/authority to change something like that there and then. i can still understand the frustration though.

davehey79 wrote: »

Fair enough, but how hard is it for some a.hole of a jobsworth to change 8 digits of a PPS Number?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Fair enough, but how hard is it for some a.hole of a jobsworth to change 8 digits of a PPS Number?

Hard when it's a pre-printed form, with the PPS number already on the page.

It's not like they just write everything in on the spot.

The OP should have had the cop on to phone in his error as soon as he realised, rather than leaving it to his son on the day. A quick call at the time would probably have corrected the problem, and saved us all from his rant here.

for **** sake these things reck my craic

Paulw wrote: »
    Hard when it's a pre-printed form, with the PPS number already on the page.

It's not like they just write everything in on the spot.

The OP should have had the cop on to phone in his error as soon as he realised, rather than leaving it to his son on the day. A quick call at the time would probably have corrected the problem, and saved us all from his rant here.

Ok, maybe so but you would get the distinct feeling that they wouldn't have changed it even if they could.

What annoyed me was that everyone decided to flame the OP and jump on their high horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

This situation could have been totally avoided if the Op had just made contact as soon as the mistake was noticed. Seems a little unfair to be blaming the theory testing crowd when the op sat back and down nothing to correct the error. Assuming everything would be alright on the day, and then getting mad when the problem could not be rectified. Yeah it's a pain in the ass but when people refuse to take any kind of responsibility these things happen.

This situation could have been totally avoided if the Op had just made contact as soon as the mistake was noticed. Seems a little unfair to be blaming the theory testing crowd when the op sat back and down nothing to correct the error. Assuming everything would be alright on the day, and then getting mad when the problem could not be rectified. Yeah it's a pain in the ass but when people refuse to take any kind of responsibility these things happen.

that's correct but for **** sake that would reck the buzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's not minor. This is where identity theft can happen. Personation. OP made a mistake and had to pay for it. Lesson learned. Not someone else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ok, maybe so but you would get the distinct feeling that they wouldn't have changed it even if they could.

No because if the OP had rang they would have changed it or canceled that booking and re-booked a new one, when it was possible to do so, so if they could, they would have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

OSI wrote: »
    I doubt that the testers on the day have the ability to change personal details, this would be stop potential fraud/bribery etc...

I'd say fraud/identity theft had something to do with it, with a name, a birth cert and PPS number you can then get a learner permit, which you can then use to open a bank account/claim benefits etc. If they checked the wrong PPS against any other national database they'd have a non person :)

Looks like they've cracked down on it since Oct 1st last:

From
    Identification Requirements

With effect from 1st October 2010 you must bring ONE form of acceptable proof of identification from the list below with you, PLUS Two Passport Type Photographs that conform to the standards detailed below.

Identification Documents:

Category A and Category B Candidates:

The following are acceptable:

* passport
    * a national ID card issued by : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden or Switzerland
    * an employee or student identity card
    * a Garda National Age Card
    * a Convention travel document with the name and photo of the holder
    * a bank or Savings Bank book
    * a cheque book
    * a cheque card
    * a credit card
    * a credit union membership card
    * a book issued for payment of social welfare allowances, benefits or pensions, a free travel card or a signing on card by the Department of Social Community and Family Affairs
    * a medical card issued in the State
    * a birth certificate
    * a marriage certificate
    * an Immigration Certificate of Registration issued by the GNIB

draffodx wrote: »
    Its the lack of common sense on behalf of the OP that created the situation, anyone with some would have contacted the theory test crowd and informed them of the mistake and they would have taken care of it then.

How can you expect any customer service when you never rang them to inform them of the mistake?

You can't make changes with online bookings within 7 days of your test.. as I booked it last Tuesday that left 6 days so I said no point in contacting them online, I told the son just explain to the person and show him how I made the mistake by bringing the drugs payment scheme card ( credit card type) I got the number off.. where it had his name on it and the Wife's number in bold (for some reason)but his number was in smaller font on the end of the card that looked like a serial number rather then a pps number.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You can't make changes with online bookings within 7 days of your test.. as I booked it last Tuesday that left 6 days so I said no point in contacting them online, I told the son just explain to the person and show him how I made the mistake by bringing the drugs payment scheme card ( credit card type) I got the number off.. where it had his name on it and the Wife's number in bold (for some reason)but his number was in smaller font on the end of the card that looked like a serial number rather then a pps number.
    So you thought 20 minutes time would be sufficient, but 6 days wouldn't?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

It's not minor. This is where identity theft can happen. Personation. OP made a mistake and had to pay for it. Lesson learned. Not someone else's fault.

How the hell can identity theft happen when he had proof of his identity and correct PPS number with him? :confused:

draffodx wrote: »
    No because if the OP had rang they would have changed it or canceled that booking and re-booked a new one, when it was possible to do so, so if they could, they would have.

you obviously never had to do a theory test... if you cancel/amend/adjust within 7 days of the test you lose your money I booked 6 days before the test and was left with no options to do anything other then admit the mistake before the exam...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

<high horse>
    Moved to "learning to drive" forum
    </high horse>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

How the hell can identity theft happen when he had proof of his identity and correct PPS number with him? :confused:

Basically the person for whom the appointment was made (pps aaaaaaaa) did not turn up, but another person (pps bbbbbbb) did and wanted to take the appointment and use the other details on the form. The details are not just on the sheet of paper.

28064212 wrote: »
    So you thought 20 minutes time would be sufficient, but 6 days wouldn't?

No I thought I would be dealing with a person and not a machine... Fair enough don't allow the test but why take the payment?

Its not the 30 odd quid its the principle of the matter..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you think losing €36 over something entirely your own fault due to it being entirely your own mistake is bad, then for god's sake don't make a mistake if you ever go to book a Ryanair or Aer Lingus flight, you won't be let fly. And if you think losing €36 over making a mistake when booking is bad, it'll be pocket change compared to what they'd charge to change your flight booking...

• Advertisement

E39MSport wrote: »
    Like Father like son?

If your kid went in with an attitude like you're displaying in your last post then there was going to be only one outcome.

Attitude?

Your trying to read something that is not there...

Advertisement