Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Peterx: I was talking about 'new' in the context of the earlier comment of GF bringing something 'new' to multisport rather than extending the course. It is course a new race but would dispute bringing something new to the multisport.

The 4km kayak is not a bad addition tho

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

I’m a middle of the pack runner. I have 3 GFWs under my belt. Love it. It’s a great event in every aspect. Everyone’s friendly, helpful, in the same boat and having a great time.

Here’s the But. But, I think tacking on the extreme like this takes a lot away from the main event.

I will never be doing the extreme event as I won’t make the top x %, but I’ve always thought of the GFW as a bit of an extreme event in the sense that it’s a bit more than the average race. Tacking on the extra mountain and 3k kayak means that the main GFW is effetely a mini marathon to the main marathon.

I don’t know the numbers involved in the extreme event. I’d imagine less than a thousand. Will there even be 500?

I for one have not signed up for GFW2012 yet, and at this stage I don’t know if I will, I’d rather do a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

4 stars (good)
    I see your point, some will definitely look at it that way. Fooling around with a successful formula is a risky thing!

On the other hand, in the Connemarathon three races run concurrently and it seems to work quite well. I don't think the marathon is diminished in any way by having the half and ultra events at the same time. Moreover, lots of multi-sports events have expert and sport races.

Still and all, there's something in what you are saying. I hope they relax the entry criteria to 5 hours. That would encourage me to try to qualify. The bar is currrently set too high for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

4 stars (good)
    Mossess wrote: »
    I don’t know the numbers involved in the extreme event. I’d imagine less than a thousand. Will there even be 500?
    From what I can see in the registration there's only 150 places for the extreme event. So really its only a side show to the main event. Also you can only start the extreme event in the 5am wave :eek: - too early for me I'll still be in bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

LOL, 5am last August I was eating sausages and black pudding with tea and toast, getting ready to head up to the bus. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement