Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I haven't done anything myself yet this week, tonight or tomorrow. I thought I'd give myself a me week by just cabbaging at home in the evenings for a few nights. Legs feel fine though, they were only sore Monday but I think the massage I had Sunday may have contgibuted to that.

Have to bring my bike back to the place that serviced it before GF, they made an absolute cock of it, there was no chance I was going to sneak up on anyone, I sounded like a train.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

3 stars (average)
    yop wrote: »
    Keep your eye on the boards cycling for sale section, I spotted a load of great bikes on there OR Adverts.ie or the other "done" :)

That the Athlantic Coast you were in? Nice spot.

Once you make the outlay the gear should last for a fair while! :)

Harbor Mill, lovely spot, very handy for the race though taxi in and out of the center of town needed.

Yeah i'm a regular on the cycle forum. It will be a Bike To Work so a new bike id say but haven't ruled out a good 2nd hand one.

Yeah happy with the gear I got esp tri shorts and speed cross 2 trail shoes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Rew wrote: »
    Video of the Elites running past us at 6.30 am.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0EhJI07MhI
    " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Apart from Tom O Dowd leading out it was interesting to see Padraig in about 10th and Peter about 31st. Very much about pacing as it is a relatively long race and I think that anyone going more than their marathon pace on the first run is going too fast.

I did remark about then to a few around me to take it handy as the race winner was just a few places ahead of us and PX did not disappoint :)!

Crap race myself - went grand for about 25 mins especially once we got off the road but then wrenched back and was going backwards through field until I got to Road and took spin home with Brian of Total Experience who is also injured :mad:-
    In retrospect should have listened to the bod and not started but hard to miss out on a big race like than when in with a chance of doing ok and not stuck organising it.

Race counted towards the Adv Race Series expert points - Series Up Date HERE

Next up for series point is Achill ROAR on Sept 10th

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Excuseless wrote: »
    Apart from Tom O Dowd leading out it was interesting to see Padraig in about 10th and Peter about 31st. Very much about pacing as it is a relatively long race and I think that anyone going more than their marathon pace on the first run is going too fast.

I did remark about then to a few around me to take it handy as the race winner was just a few places ahead of us and PX did not disappoint :)!

Crap race myself - went grand for about 25 mins especially once we got off the road but then wrenched back and was going backwards through field until I got to Road and took spin home with Brian of Total Experience who is also injured :mad:-
    In retrospect should have listened to the bod and not started but hard to miss out on a big race like than when in with a chance of doing ok and not stuck organising it.

Race counted towards the Adv Race Series expert points - Series Up Date HERE

Next up for series point is Achill ROAR on Sept 10th

Ah I was wondering what happened. I listened to the body and pulled out! :) That must have been a killer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

agall wrote: »
    LaHaine wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, was anyone checked for mandatory kit?

Everyone I saw had all the kit as far as I am concerned including me who had, among other thinks, three spare tubes and a spare foldable gatorskin tyre just in case-why I will never know!

Should've done the same myself, tyre exploded just before CP, had to run wit d bike d full length of d off road section (while shouting this race is a load of boll*x)
    Will defo bring a spare tyre next time as I didn't get my sub 6 because of it :(

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Brought a once use inflator aerosol with a sealant in it, never used one but concept seems to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ah_go_on

Rew wrote: »
    Brought a once use inflator aerosol with a sealant in it, never used one but concept seems to be good.

Had a nice big tear in the sidewall of my gatorskin so I doubt sealant wud've done d trick :(

Have to do it all again next year after swearing I'd never go anywhere near croagh Patrick again!

3 stars (average)
    Ah_go_on wrote: »
    Had a nice big tear in the sidewall of my gatorskin so I doubt sealant wud've done d trick :(

No your pretty stuffed there alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

No rest for the wicked as Emma Donlon was 1st lady in the warriors run today. PeterX was 7th after his now practised slow starting initial k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 milamo

On mature reflection - a week later and looking back at the event - and the euphoria of running it for the first time has died down a little, the event went suprisingly well for me - so can I ask the question was there much wind on the day or was it in our backs all day??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 darrenoconaill

Wind was fairly tame but what was there would have been on your back most of the day. The only section where you have to go into the wind is that curse of a bog road before CP. It's fairly exposed there and the wind blows straight across the bog and into your face. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Types of training.
    Has anyone any simple suggestions on how to avoid the heavy legs on CP next year? Is there any exercises that can build the legs up to better tackle the hill?

Also, Gels. I’m a great believer in them, They work. But, there has to be a better way. I’m going to go without them completely for a while and see how I get on. By the time I hit CP this year I was drained, and even though every Gel was a boost I can’t help thinking that if I hadn’t taken any that perhaps I’d have more of a reserve left in the tank. Anyone else feel the same?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

4 stars (good)
    Mossess wrote: »
    Types of training.
    Has anyone any simple suggestions on how to avoid the heavy legs on CP next year? Is there any exercises that can build the legs up to better tackle the hill?

Also, Gels. I’m a great believer in them, They work. But, there has to be a better way. I’m going to go without them completely for a while and see how I get on. By the time I hit CP this year I was drained, and even though every Gel was a boost I can’t help thinking that if I hadn’t taken any that perhaps I’d have more of a reserve left in the tank. Anyone else feel the same?

I really think that the only thing that helps with regards the reek is hill climbing or going a bit easier up until the reek so that you have energy left for the climb.
    With regards the gels I got a bit of advice of Tuney who does IM's and I have to say I think I did very well with the fueling. I basically followed a HIM fueling plan with a few small adjustments and never suffered an energy dip. Gel about 20mins before start, 45mins into run, nutrigrain bar at bike start, 45mins into bike, nutrigrain at bottom of CP and final gel at summit. I don't take gels during training except to see what suits my stomach, high5 work great, powerbar nearly caused a soilage incident.
    Hope this helps some.

3 stars (average)
    Mossess wrote: »
    Types of training.

What did you eat before the race? We had a big porridge breakfast, some protein and carb bars on the bus on the way and a carb mix in the water. Used only a a couple of gels during the race (brought way too many!).

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

Mossess - there is training for going up the Reek, and there is a particular technique to going up. The heavy leg feeling is the build up of lactate (OBLA) in the leg muscles and the circulatory system in the lower limbs. Two things that you should not do whilst going up - 1. Stop...do not stop at all - even though you feel like stopping, what will happen is that the OBLA will have a pooling effect, this then makes it harder for the breakdown of the lactate. What you require is a higher intake of oxygen - so you slow down slightly and try to breath deeper. 2. Do not put your hands on your legs and push down when ascending, this actually tires you out more and is a waste of energy. There is a technique that I used at the IMRA Connacht champs which worked a treat.

In relation to the Mayo Mountain Running, looking to meet up at the Connemara Half-Marathon Mountain Trail on the 17th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

4 stars (good)
    robroy1234 wrote: »
    Mossess - there is training for going up the Reek, and there is a particular technique to going up. The heavy leg feeling is the build up of lactate (OBLA) in the leg muscles and the circulatory system in the lower limbs. Two things that you should not do whilst going up - 1. Stop...do not stop at all - even though you feel like stopping, what will happen is that the OBLA will have a pooling effect, this then makes it harder for the breakdown of the lactate. What you require is a higher intake of oxygen - so you slow down slightly and try to breath deeper. 2. Do not put your hands on your legs and push down when ascending, this actually tires you out more and is a waste of energy. There is a technique that I used at the IMRA Connacht champs which worked a treat.

In relation to the Mayo Mountain Running, looking to meet up at the Connemara Half-Marathon Mountain Trail on the 17th September.

I'll try this out in Achill, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 HQ

agall wrote: »

Everyone I saw had all the kit as far as I am concerned including me who had, among other thinks, three spare tubes and a spare foldable gatorskin tyre just in case-why I will never know!

Should've done the same myself, tyre exploded just before CP, had to run wit d bike d full length of d off road section (while shouting this race is a load of boll*x)
    Will defo bring a spare tyre next time as I didn't get my sub 6 because of it :(

I didnt have any kit except helmet. No one was checked and the weather was to be good so didnt want to bring jackets and blankets. Had kevlar tyres so had notting spare. Think i would bring it next time though as i was very nervous of getting a puncture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

HQ wrote: »

I didnt have any kit except helmet. No one was checked and the weather was to be good so didnt want to bring jackets and blankets. Had kevlar tyres so had notting spare. Think i would bring it next time though as i was very nervous of getting a puncture.

Don't count on there being no kit at every race. I know of one case where a podium finisher was going to be DSQed for having no kit, but he did everyone a favour by blowing up before the finish.

It's pretty stupid not bringing the mandatory kit. Its mandatory for a reason. If you can't figure out why you should bring it then you should probably stay away from the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 earsandasmile

HQ wrote: »

At WAR Glenmalure this year, at the bottom of Croaghnamoira, I was asked by a race steward to show him my first aid kit, space blanket and rain jacket. I had it all in my bumbag and it probably cost me less than 10-15 secs to show him.
    It was the only time I've been asked to show the kit, but I would carry it regardless. The benefits of not carrying the mandatory safety kit are minimal. The consequences of not carrying the kit, i.e, disqualification or worse, would just be plain embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

4 stars (good)
    In my opinion not bringing the required kit is cheating and stupid. If the winners can carry it so can everyone else

• Advertisement

It appears speculation about the extreme course was correct, here's the details,
    http://www.gaelforceevents.com/west/en/gaelforce_west_extreme/gaelforce_west_extreme_2012.html
    Below is the provisional course details for the new Gaelforce Extreme. The race will start and finish in the same locations as Gaelforce West. The main differences are that you will complete a longer kayak down the Fjord and will also climb and descend Mweelrea - the highest mountain in Connacht. You will then pick up your bike in Delphi and will follow the same route as Gaelforce West including Craogh Patrick.
    We will have more details and maps available in the next few months.

Please note:
    We will have Mweelrea route marked but you should feel comfortable on mountains. Mweelrea is a lot harder than Croagh Patrick and does not have any trail on it.
    The kayak section is 4km. So competitors must be confident and comfortable with their personal paddling.
    This event is not suitable to beginners in adventure racing. You must have completed CAC/GFW or GFN in under 3.5/4.5hrs (Male) or CAC/GFW or GFN 3.5/5.5hrs (Female) OR have competed in an another adventure race/triathlon or marathon and have finished in the top 20%

Doesn't really grab me

• Registered Users Posts: 33 earsandasmile

Yaeh, I agree. Not much to get excited about really. I notice they have a one liner at the end "if the weather is too bad on event day to go up Mweelrea, competitors will complete the Gaelforce West course."

Seems a little bit half arsed IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

It's a bit meh.

The danger is that it dilutes the existing event. It might split the field over the two courses and thus the quality/competitive nature of it.

Should go the whole hog and make it similar to Gaelforce 12.

I don't really get it. Sticking on an extra 11km moutain run doesn't make it "extreme." At this stage, I'd rather do the classic route.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

4 stars (good)
    Agreed. Think it's a total cop-out and a wasted opportunity. Splitting the field is a bad idea. Can't really see it lasting more than a couple of years in that form before they shelve it. Bring back the original Gaelforce12, never did it but the market is now there for it.

All on for a proper adventure race with a bit of mountain biking thrown in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭centre back

4 stars (good)
    is it not a case if it ain't broke, don't fix it?? at the moment it's attracting the best part of 3,000 people racing it. if it get's split into 2, could you see many people choosing the ''extreme'' version to justify it??? as a normal joe bloggs i found cp. daunting, never mind mweelra on top of that. how much time extra would you have to allow for the new mountain?? from my point of you i'm still waiting to see how low the top guys can get their time down on the original race, didn't peterx break the record last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

4 stars (good)
    I'd love to do it but I'm not fast enough to qualify. :o

Many of the races have sport and expert running alongside and it works quite well. I think the organisers are to be congratulated for trying something new.

I was reading about the Gaelforce 12 in Moire's O'Sullivan's book: Mud, Sweat and Tears. It sounds like it was a savage race - absolutely brilliant. I highly recommend the book - inspiring.

The key question about GF12 is whether there are enough people interested in this type of event to make it commercially viable given that there's already TEAR, CLEC, Coast2Coast, Raid and the Beast of Ballyhoura.

I've been doing multisport races up until now but I'm going to do the CCAR race on Jan 12 as a stepping stone to proper adventure racing. I think there may be a gap for more races at this level in the market.

Anyway, it's a numbers game. IMO there are too many multisport races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

former wrote: »
    I'd love to do it but I'm not fast enough to qualify. :o

Many of the races have sport and expert running alongside and it works quite well. I think the organisers are to be congratulated for trying something new.

I was reading about the Gaelforce 12 in Moire's O'Sullivan's book: Mud, Sweat and Tears. It sounds like it was a savage race - absolutely brilliant. I highly recommend the book - inspiring.

The key question about GF12 is whether there are enough people interested in this type of event to make it commercially viable given that there's already TEAR, CLEC, Coast2Coast, Raid and the Beast of Ballyhoura.

I've been doing multisport races up until now but I'm going to do the CCAR race on Jan 12 as a stepping stone to proper adventure racing. I think there may be a gap for more races at this level in the market.

Anyway, it's a numbers game. IMO there are too many multisport races.

But that's the problem, GF are not trying anything new, they're just tacking on an extra run. It's a not question of sport vs expert. It's expert vs EXTREME.

Given GF popularity, they could quite easily get the numbers for GF12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    But that's the problem, GF are not trying anything new, they're just tacking on an extra run. It's a not question of sport vs expert. It's expert vs EXTREME.

Given GF popularity, they could quite easily get the numbers for GF12.

Seems new to me?
    The extremity will entirely depend on the wind during the 4km kayak and the visibility during the Mweelrea run. Get lost on Mweelrea and you could be over a cliff.
    The 4km kayak will shake the race up nicely, a good kayak could make 10/15 minutes on that section alone over a poor kayaker - and most of us current multisport lads are crap paddlers.

What I'd like to see;
    Start the race kayaking from Glassilaun beach over to Carrickwee beach, run Mweelrea to Delphi, pick up your MTB and take the route the original GF12 took over to Croagh Patrick (some boggy bike carrying involved I think) and then finish as normal up the reek and home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

4 stars (good)
    A few things strike me about this.

The qualification criteria seems unusual. 4.5 hours in GFW is top 4%, whereas top 20% in other races is sufficient. So less value is being put on GFW than any other adventure race if I read it correctly. I just about made top 10% in GFW this year but that's well outside. However I might still qualify with 3.30 in the Dublin city marathon. That can't be right.

As Peterx says Mweelrea is dangerous in poor visibility. The site suggests it won't go ahead if this is the case. At best I'd say it's clear half the time. Who wants to put in the training for an event with a 50% chance of being called off on the day?

• Advertisement

Qualification is a bit mismatched, I'm a half hour outside the GF qualification criteria but in a lot of other races this year, bar Achill, I was in or around the 20% mark.

Advertisement