Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gaelforce west 20/8/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

The official photographers seem to have been where you come into the kayaks, on the reek and at the finish if you got in before 5.45.

There were other photographers but they seem to have been people out and about on the day and possibly local press if they were asking where you were from. There are photos from the 2nd run linked further up this thread so you might be in those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gusman

3 stars (average)
    robroy1234 wrote: »
    I am looking for anyone interested in Mountain Running and hopefully will be setting up a regular mountain running league for connacht. The areas would then be training in ascending and descending, tempo running, cross country running, interval/fartlek. Not only at the Reek but at other mountains in the area. There is no strict standard, nor a joining fee, but I am hoping that Mayo AC will incorporate it as part of the club structure, and it will be supported by the Irish Mountain Running Association. You can note that Peter is a member of IMRA and Rathfarnham AC and competes regularly in the mountain running.
    I would be very interested in a mountain running league. I'm based in north Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

4 stars (good)
    Just as a matter of interest, was anyone checked for mandatory kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

3 stars (average)
    LaHaine wrote: »

Not me anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Fi H wrote: »
    The official photographers seem to have been where you come into the kayaks, on the reek and at the finish if you got in before 5.45.

There were other photographers but they seem to have been people out and about on the day and possibly local press if they were asking where you were from. There are photos from the 2nd run linked further up this thread so you might be in those.

If you or anyone could repost that link it would be great, I went through and couldn't find it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

3 stars (average)

Not any of the 4 of us that did it together anyway. Saw one bike at the transition that had a backpack with it and plenty of people who dropped kit at the bottom of the reek or before the final run, doubt they had mandatory kit inn their pockets.

3 stars (average)
    Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I didn't see any photographers on the 1st run or on the bikes or kayaks. There was one at the 1st run as he has pics up, but must have been on a pee break when I passed.

There was one at the end and 2 on the reek that I saw.

On the reek, we had the fella at the top and his shots are up on the GF site, that's the RandR fella I think. There was another photographer further down the cone taking pics of people coming up and down, and he was very talkative, asking your name and where you are from, I fell right in front of him, I haven't seen any of those pics up.

I saw:
    One at the end of the first run on the right as you come in to the dib point.
    One at the top of the reek sitting with his back to the stone hut the guy was selling food and water out of.
    One just before the the uphill turn on the bikes after CP.
    One as you turn after the pond on the final few hundred meters of the cycle.
    One at the finish line.

I have a load of video from the 2nd wave, all sections up to the transition back to the bikes where the bike mount for my GoPro snapped!!

You were well ahead of me in terms of time Mr. Freeze so im unlikely to have any of you. I used stills from the videos for photos you can see them here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150350283288474.400444.545178473&l=baaed7d5cf&type=1

Need to edit something together with the video as its a bit tedious to watch at length!

3 stars (average)
    Great shots Rew, not in any of them, but it looks class.

What kind of camera did you use?
    Rew wrote: »
    Not any of the 4 of us that did it together anyway. Saw one bike at the transition that had a backpack with it and plenty of people who dropped kit at the bottom of the reek or before the final run, doubt they had mandatory kit inn their pockets.

I wouldn't mind people ditching their bags or kits in the last transition, before the last 800m dash to the finish. I was tempted to, but was too busy chasing the guy ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 earsandasmile

Was looking for a sub 5hr this year came very close but not there. Want to really break 5 for next year possible a 4:30. Anyone have a good program to follow I think I need more structure not just going out for a run/cycle for x time. Have two kids so I do need to be flexible but it's time to put a bit of a plan together that will get results. Any ideas, sites, plans to follow?

You could try and time your training to peak at certain races. The approach I followed this year was to have a long base training period (about 2 months) where I worked on building up endurance and and general cardio fitness. More or less all done at a conversational pace. Include 1 long spin per week about three hours. Might be worth reading this article. http://donnchacuttrissraam2011.blogspot.com/
    Then about six weeks before an event begin increasing the intensity of your training. Include interval and tempo sessions. About 2 weeks - 10 days before your race start to taper your training so that you are well recovered and good to go on race day.
    I did GFW 2010 in 4:51 and 4:09 2011 using that template more or less. I was trying to break 4hrs. I have 3 daughters under 6, so I know what you mean about being flexible. It might be worth buying a turbo trainer so you can babysit and train at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gusman

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Great shots Rew, not in any of them, but it looks class.

What kind of camera did you use?

Its a GoPro sports camera:
    http://gopro.com

Held it in my hand on runs and attached it to the handle bars for the cycles but the mount snapped near the base of CP before the transition (not impressed as their cameras and accessories are generally very good and very tough.

Here some of the raw videos from the race:
    http://youtu.be/6foBcw6-Yic?hd=1
    http://youtu.be/E22VG7JPWLE?hd=1
    http://youtu.be/o6LoxV5YlOo?hd=1
    http://youtu.be/6foBcw6-Yic?hd=1
    I wouldn't mind people ditching their bags or kits in the last transition, before the last 800m dash to the finish. I was tempted to, but was too busy chasing the guy ahead.

Yeah I was a as well said **** it I've brought it this far but just goes to show that people interrupt the gear rules in many different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

3 stars (average)

There was a marshal at the third transition (bike to reek) telling people to drop anything they wanted with their bike. I just left my helmet and a bottle of water.

I dropped my whole bag at the last transition and ran the 8 hundred metres with a bottle of water to drink at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

I saw quite a few people hitting the reek without even water. There was one lad shouting to his mate that he was filling his water bottle and the mate was telling him he didnt need water :D I think about 5 people turned around and told him to bring it so he did :D I reckon he was glad of it about 5 mins in!

3 stars (average)
    Fi H wrote: »
    I saw quite a few people hitting the reek without even water.

I hope they brought cash for a €5 can of Club Orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 agall

Everyone I saw had all the kit as far as I am concerned including me who had, among other thinks, three spare tubes and a spare foldable gatorskin tyre just in case-why I will never know!

As PeterX as already mentioned he does bring all the required kit and just for info if you look at the back of Tom O'Dowd's jersey in the Gaelforce video, as he receives his medal you will see there is plenty of stuff packed in there.

On another note I tried my first 5k run since last Saturday and was shocked at my condition by the end of it. Legs were fine but, could barely hold a conversation after it let alone jump in a Kayak-hope someone else feels the same?

3 stars (average)
    agall wrote: »
    On another note I tried my first 5k run since last Saturday and was shocked at my condition by the end of it. Legs were fine but, could barely hold a conversation after it let alone jump in a Kayak-hope someone else feels the same?

I ran 5k last night. Was in a heap this morning. Very tired and lower legs were sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

Hard Copy - you should have done ice-bath immediately after the event and everyday since - get a large bin/water container and fill with cold water, stand or sit in it for 20 mins. I have a jacuzzi whirlpool attachment connected to my bin in order to circulate the water. Alternatively you can get in the sea or the cold plunge pool at a leisure centre.

3 stars (average)
    robroy1234 wrote: »
    Hard Copy - you should have done ice-bath immediately after the event and everyday since - get a large bin/water container and fill with cold water, stand or sit in it for 20 mins. I have a jacuzzi whirlpool attachment connected to my bin in order to circulate the water. Alternatively you can get in the sea or the cold plunge pool at a leisure centre.

Thanks robroy, I saw your earlier comments. I don't have a (clean) bin I can use but have been showering my legs with cold water. Spent about 20 minutes in the plunge pool at the gym last night as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Is it not just a case of DOMS, (delayed onset musle soreness) which requires just a dose of HTFU? ;) and will disappear in 72 hours?

My legs are ok today after an easy 10km run on Tuesday and a very leisurely spin last night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Is it not just a case of DOMS, (delayed onset musle soreness) which requires just a dose of HTFU? ;) and will disappear in 72 hours?

My legs are ok today after an easy 10km run on Tuesday and a very leisurely spin last night.

Sounds more like it :) The ice caps will disappear at this stage :)

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    agall wrote: »
    hope someone else feels the same?

I wouldn't chance a run this week as I know I would feel crap during it and after it and probably end up flaring up the shin splints again. I did a cycle race on Wednesday evening and felt surprisingly good, I expected to feel crap, which I did for the 1st few mins but after that I was fine.

Hope to start back running next week, getting in some hills before Roar.

I always get DOMS too, I can barely sleep at night after an event like GF for a about 2 nights, goes back to normal then.

3 stars (average)
    16k on the bike and 5k road run Mondya followed by my normal 20k each way bike comute Tues-today. Set a new PB for both in and out this week! Monday sorted me right out I have to say. Queued up for the physio after the race wouldn't do it again, the 45mins queuing would have been better spent stretching. Drank a couple of pints of SiS recovery shakes after which helped as well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

16k on the bike and 5k road run Mondya followed by my normal 20k each way bike comute Tues-today. Set a new PB for both in and out this week! Monday sorted me right out I have to say. Queued up for the physio after the race wouldn't do it again, the 45mins queuing would have been better spent stretching. Drank a couple of pints of SiS recovery shakes after which helped as well.

The queue was slow but they were volunteering so can't really complain too much. The recovery drinks are a great job though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

4 stars (good)
    glad to see I'm not the only one still suffering..

went back training Wednesday night and found it very hard.. circuits and running etc..legs still sore and ar*e bruised to bits from the many times it collided with the rocks on the reek!!!

even the oul Dublin Bikes are a strain on the legs :)..

it was my first time and I wasnt sure what to expect, will deffo do it better next year, go for a few dips in the sea after and maybe a massage..

this year however I just hit the boozer and cheered on everyone else coming in :D

3 stars (average)
    yop wrote: »
    The queue was slow but they were volunteering so can't really complain too much. The recovery drinks are a great job though :D

Dont get me wrong, no complaints about them or the service, they were great, but from my perspective I wouldn't do it again just because I got cold and stiff queuing, should have stretched, got my bike and head back to our apartment (right beside the finish) and into the hot tub then for a pint and a huge burger!!! :-D

Dont get me wrong, no complaints about them or the service, they were great, but from my perspective I wouldn't do it again just because I got cold and stiff queuing, should have stretched, got my bike and head back to our apartment (right beside the finish) and into the hot tub then for a pint and a huge burger!!! :-D

Ah ye rich kids are spoilt with your hot tubs and burgers! :)
    Probably the best idea, or even into the sea would have been a good idea. :D

3 stars (average)
    yop wrote: »
    Ah ye rich kids are spoilt with your hot tubs and burgers! :)
    Probably the best idea, or even into the sea would have been a good idea. :D

Ha! Def booking the same place next year, sauna, steam room, hot tub, bike lockup, underground parking etc but im smashed broke after GF with all the gear I had to buy etc :)

Going to be even more broke now that I have to get a road bike for next years race! :-D

Though my mate who was doing it as well came off alot worse after missing fligts back from the UK and having to pay for more one of his rim disintegrated on Friday and he had to fork out for 2 new wheels, then had a nasty crash during the race. Really wasn't his week. Fairplay to the Westport Bike Shop they sorted out a couple of last minute things for both of us.

3 stars (average)
    Video of the Elites running past us at 6.30 am.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0EhJI07MhI
    " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭former

4 stars (good)
    I wouldn't chance a run this week as I know I would feel crap during it and after it and probably end up flaring up the shin splints again. I did a cycle race on Wednesday evening and felt surprisingly good, I expected to feel crap, which I did for the 1st few mins but after that I was fine.

Hope to start back running next week, getting in some hills before Roar.

I always get DOMS too, I can barely sleep at night after an event like GF for a about 2 nights, goes back to normal then.

I haven't run yet either - legs are still a bit sore. I did a bit of kayaking yesterday and 30 mins on a bike today. Will chance any easy run tomorrow. I'm still pretty tired really so I'm taking it easy.

I've signed up for the Roar too. It was great craic last year.

• Advertisement

Ha! Def booking the same place next year, sauna, steam room, hot tub, bike lockup, underground parking etc but im smashed broke after GF with all the gear I had to buy etc :)

Going to be even more broke now that I have to get a road bike for next years race! :-D

Though my mate who was doing it as well came off alot worse after missing fligts back from the UK and having to pay for more one of his rim disintegrated on Friday and he had to fork out for 2 new wheels, then had a nasty crash during the race. Really wasn't his week. Fairplay to the Westport Bike Shop they sorted out a couple of last minute things for both of us.

Keep your eye on the boards cycling for sale section, I spotted a load of great bikes on there OR Adverts.ie or the other "done" :)

That the Athlantic Coast you were in? Nice spot.

Once you make the outlay the gear should last for a fair while! :)

Advertisement